Photo

What are ways to decrease testosterone?

green tea steroid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:27 PM

I know this is something most people may not want to do, but what are ways to decrease testosterone? Or decrease androgens in general?

Androgen is the generic term for any natural or synthetic compound, usually a steroid hormone, that stimulates or controls the development and maintenance of masculine characteristics in vertebrates by binding to androgen receptors. This includes the activity of the accessory male sex organs and development of male secondary sex characteristics. Androgens, which were first discovered in 1936, are also called androgenic hormones or testoids. Androgens are also the original anabolic steroids. They are also the precursor of all estrogens, the female sex hormones. The primary and most well-known androgen is testosterone.

I've been taking green tea extract which has helped a lot. It has anti-androgen effects

What decreasing androgren's help with is excess oil production. It cuts down on it A LOT.

Cardio has this effect too. But is there anything else?

I know that most people will not like to decrease testosterone because they bodybuild etc, but this may be a good way to help prevent acne from cutting down on it to stop excess oil production.

Somewhat how stress is related to acne. Since stress increases testosterone, it increases oil production which causes acne.

So if you have any other ideas, please list them

And most of this stuff just regulates it to normal levels anyway, so don't worry, it won't go below normal.
Gone out of the country July 5th to August 5th

Finally Clear! < Click link for regimen
People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

#2 member222

member222

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:39 PM

This is gonna sound crazy. But me and my girl stopped having sex so much.

We just cut back a little.

My acne is pretty much gone. The key for me was going from washing twice a day to once. And just one other time using tepid water during the day.

#3 Guest_j3ff86_*

Guest_j3ff86_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:22 PM

Ok first off you're a guy, so there is noreason why you'd want to decrease your testosterone. With that said, gaining weight and not exercising will lower it. Eating a lot of soy might have an effect on it too.

#4 Cyph31

Cyph31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:07 PM

decreasing testosterone is not the answer

decreasing DHT is

#5 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(Cyph31 @ Mar 17 2007, 12:08 AM) View Post

decreasing DHT is

any ways to do that effectively?

People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

#6 bber

bber

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 16 2007, 01:27 PM) View Post
I know this is something most people may not want to do, but what are ways to decrease testosterone? Or decrease androgens in general?

Androgen is the generic term for any natural or synthetic compound, usually a steroid hormone, that stimulates or controls the development and maintenance of masculine characteristics in vertebrates by binding to androgen receptors. This includes the activity of the accessory male sex organs and development of male secondary sex characteristics. Androgens, which were first discovered in 1936, are also called androgenic hormones or testoids. Androgens are also the original anabolic steroids. They are also the precursor of all estrogens, the female sex hormones. The primary and most well-known androgen is testosterone.

I've been taking green tea extract which has helped a lot. It has anti-androgen effects

What decreasing androgren's help with is excess oil production. It cuts down on it A LOT.

I know that most people will not like to decrease testosterone because they bodybuild etc, but this may be a good way to help prevent acne from cutting down on it to stop excess oil production.

Somewhat how stress is related to acne. Since stress increases testosterone, it increases oil production which causes acne.

And most of this stuff just regulates it to normal levels anyway, so don't worry, it won't go below normal.

Stress increases cortisol, cortisol decreases anabolic hormones. Yeah I know, Im not being much help here =|

24-28 1g pills of fish oil since early Feb 07(approx 10g o3s)
30-35 1g pills since March 22(approx 15g)

#7 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE(bber @ Mar 17 2007, 12:16 AM) View Post

Stress increases cortisol, cortisol decreases anabolic hormones. Yeah I know, Im not being much help here =|

oh! You are correct then. Do you happen to know how stress relates to oil production?

#8 calla lily

calla lily

Stressed is just desserts spelled backward.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:03 AM

I don't really know if this has anything to do with what you're talking about, but I thought it might, so I figured I'd post...

It's about avocados:

Not only are avocados a rich source of monounsaturated fatty acids including oleic acid, which has recently been shown to offer significant protection against breast cancer, but it is also a very concentrated dietary source of the carotenoid lutein; it also contains measurable amounts of related carotenoids (zeaxanthin, alpha-carotene and beta-carotene) plus significant quantities of tocopherols (vitamin E).

In a laboratory study published in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, an extract of avocado containing these carotenoids and tocopherols inhibited the growth of both androgen-dependent and androgen-independent prostate cancer cells.

But when researchers tried exposing the prostate cancer cells to lutein alone, the single carotenoid did not prevent cancer cell growth and replication. Not only was the whole matrix of carotenoids and tocopherols in avocado necessary for its ability to kill prostate cancer cells, but the researchers also noted that the significant amount of monounsaturated fat in avocado plays an important role. Carotenoids are lipid (fat)-soluble, which means fat must be present to ensure that these bioactive carotenoids will be absorbed into the bloodstream. Just as Nature intends, avocado delivers the whole heath-promoting package.

http://www.whfoods.c...f...pice&dbid=5

#9 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

Moved to Diet/Holistic forum.
Retired from Acne.org

#10 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2007 - 04:53 PM

Alcohol, pain killers, marijuana. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this however.

Where did you hear this?

I've heard that weight training causes an increase in testosterone (during training) followed by a decrease (during recovery).

I think you want to decrease DHT. With herbal extracts, you want saw palmetto. Not very strong however.

I also posted a link to studies on green tea extract and hormones. I believe it's the one that you asked me to put in your thread. Anyway, there were 3 studies referenced. They said:
1. Green tea extract reduces DHT
2. Green tea extract increases DHT
3. Green tea increases DHT when alone, but synergetically with soy it decreases DHT more than soy alone.

They conflict each other unless #3 is the correct answer.

Or you could go to a doctor and pretend to be balding and ask for Finasteride. That would be by far the most effective way to decrease DHT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propecia

However, DHT isn't some evil form of testosterone bent on causing balding or acne. It has a biological function tightly correlated with your manhood.

Specifically, read the health concerns on wikipedia's page. It's pretty much the health concerns for low DHT:

DHT is a derivative hormone (metabolite) of testosterone that has been shown to be critical to the initiation and progression of follicular miniaturization and eventual destruction of hair follicles in male pattern baldness. DHT is a steroid hormone just like testosterone but with greater affinity for the androgen receptor. Converting testosterone to DHT thus increases many of its effects.

While the mechanism by which DHT is involved in hair loss is not confirmed, many dermatologists and research scientists specializing in hair loss believe DHT molecules may diffuse into the interior of hair follicle cells (the cytoplasm or cytosol) and bind with androgen receptors. This complex, both the receptor and the DHT molecule, then enters the nucleus of the cell. In the nucleus of the hair follicle cell this complex could then alter the rate of protein synthesis in men who are genetically predisposed to baldness.[citation needed]

However, DHT also plays an important role in the functioning of the central nervous system (the brain), the testicles and prostate, and almost everything but muscle tissue. In muscle tissue testosterone is the dominant hormone, which is why some bodybuilders inject testosterone derivatives to aid in muscular development.

* Propecia (and other products containing finasteride) cause a rise in testosterone levels because testosterone that would normally be converted into DHT remains testosterone. Continual high levels of testosterone in the body could possibly have negative side effects.

* Artificially low levels of DHT in the body could cause some unwanted conditions. DHT is an antagonist of estrogen. Men€™s bodies also produce the female hormone estrogen in the adrenal glands, although this is just one-tenth of the estrogen that premenopausal women produce in their ovaries. By reducing DHT with drugs, a man€™s protection from the effects of estrogen may also be reduced. This could result in gynecomastia.

* Even though both finasteride and dutasteride were developed to combat benign prostatic hyperplasia by reducing DHT in prostate tissue, some scientists question the wisdom of using these 5-alpha reductase inhibitors in younger men who have no problem with their prostates. A research chemist, Pat Arnold, says €œEvidence is mounting that the existence of a high estrogen/androgen ratio €“ a condition common in older men €“ is highly correlated with the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia.€[citation needed]

#11 sofreshsoclean

sofreshsoclean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(Legend @ Mar 17 2007, 06:53 PM) View Post
Alcohol, pain killers, marijuana. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this however.

Where did you hear this?

I've heard that weight training causes an increase in testosterone (during training) followed by a decrease (during recovery).

Weight training and cardio are different

#12 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(sofreshsoclean @ Mar 17 2007, 10:35 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Legend @ Mar 17 2007, 06:53 PM) View Post

Where did you hear this?

Weight training and cardio are different

That still doesn't explain it. Why would the body reduce an anabolic hormone in response to work? The only thing I could come up with was the recovery process. I'd like someone to explain it to me.

And HIIT cardio isn't that different from weights in some ways.

#13 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 17 2007, 12:13 AM) View Post

decreasing DHT is

fish oil
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#14 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE(AutonomousOne1980 @ Mar 18 2007, 12:18 AM) View Post
QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 17 2007, 12:13 AM) View Post

decreasing DHT is

fish oil

actually, check this out you may want to take some more gla and epa after reading this.

J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2002 Nov;82(4-5):393-400. Links
5 alpha-reductase-catalyzed conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is increased in prostatic adenocarcinoma cells: suppression by 15-lipoxygenase metabolites of gamma-linolenic and eicosapentaenoic acids.Pham H, Ziboh VA.
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, University of California at Davis, TB-192, One Shields Avenue, 95616, USA.

Although the androgens, testosterone (T) and its highly active metabolite dihydrotestosterone (DHT) play a role in the development and progression of prostate cancer, the mechanism(s) are unclear. Furthermore, 5 alpha-reductase which catalyze the conversion of T to DHT, has been a target of manipulation in the treatment of prostatic cancer, hence synthetic 5 alpha-reductase activity inhibitors have shown therapeutic promise. To demonstrate that nutrients derived from dietary sources can exert similar therapeutic promise, this study was designed using benign hyperplastic cells (BHC) and malignant tumorigenic cells (MTC) derived from Lobund-Wistar (L-W) rat model of prostatic adenocarcinoma to test the effects of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and their 15-lipoxygenase metabolites on cellular 5 alpha-reductase activity. Our data revealed: (i) that incubation of MTC with [3H]-T resulted in marked conversion to [3H]-DHT when compared to similar incubation with BHC; (ii) that DHT-enhanced activity of 5 alpha-reductase was inhibited 80% by 15S-hydroxyeicosatrienoic acid, the 15-lipoxygenase metabolite of GLA, when compared to 55% by 15S-hydroxyeicosapentaenoic acid, the 15-lipoxygenase metabolite of EPA; and (iii) that their precursor fatty acids, respectively, exerted moderate inhibition. Taken together, the study underscores the biological importance of 15-lipoxygenase metabolites of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in androgen metabolism.

its funny how many similarites their are between cancer and acne. Such as the role of dht, efas and the formation of arachidonic acid and the production of inflammatory eicosanoids and also retinoic acid metabolism. its all a balance of proliferation and apoptosis and whether or not a system is in a state of homeostasis(stabilty) at least from my observations. Theres got to be a main positive link to it all, and im thinking diet because its the only variable that can be changed, specifically a strong emphasis on the omega 6:3 balance and lack of balance since dietary fats have such a direct control over gene modulation according to studies.Just some thoughts.
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#15 ajajajskates

ajajajskates

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

anything i could take to do that??

#16 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 16 2007, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's doubtful that increases in testosterone cause increases in oil production. In an early study, Kligman and his colleagues gave as much as 300 mg/day of methyl testosterone to normal males, and there was no effect on sebum production.

#17 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Cyph31 @ Mar 17 2007, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

decreasing DHT is

I think you'll find the following study quite interesting. Sharply reducing DHT within sebaceous glands had no effect on the course of acne:

J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004 Mar;50(3):443-7.
"A systemic type I 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor is ineffective in the treatment of acne vulgaris." Leyden J, Bergfeld W, Drake L, Dunlap F, Goldman MP, Gottlieb AB, Heffernan MP, Hickman JG, Hordinsky M, Jarrett M, Kang S, Lucky A, Peck G, Phillips T, Rapaport M, Roberts J, Savin R, Sawaya ME, Shalita A, Shavin J, Shaw JC, Stein L, Stewart D, Strauss J, Swinehart J, Swinyer L, Thiboutot D, Washenik K, Weinstein G, Whiting D, Pappas F, Sanchez M, Terranella L, Waldstreicher J.
University of Pennsylvania Hospital, 36th and Spruce Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

Excessive sebum production is a central aspect of the pathophysiology of acne vulgaris. Sebaceous gland function is under androgen control and it is hypothesized that dihydrotestosterone is formed by the action of 5 alpha-reductase. Type I is the controlling isoenzyme. This study describes a 3-month, multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial with a potent, selective inhibitor of type I 5 alpha-reductase used alone and in combination with systemic minocycline. Inhibition of type I 5 alpha-reductase was not associated with clinical improvement of acne when used alone and did not enhance the clinical benefit of systemic minocycline. These results indicate the need for further work at the molecular level to better understand the action of androgens on sebaceous gland function.

#18 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Legend @ Mar 17 2007, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or you could go to a doctor and pretend to be balding and ask for Finasteride. That would be by far the most effective way to decrease DHT.

Finasteride doesn't reduce DHT in sebaceous glands, and it doesn't reduce sebum production or help acne. Finasteride is a specific 5a-reductase type 2 inhibitor, whereas sebaceous glands have the type 1 form of the enzyme.

#19 klp11289

klp11289

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:47 PM

okay so im going to piss you off i think here.... but When i started an extreme no carb diet i started taking coconut oil for extra saturated fat in place of butter since i am allergic to dairy...Well it is a well known fat that saturated fat raises testosterone. when my doc checked my hormonal profile my testosterone was high- much higher than before...and i was SO clear. Im talking upclose and no blackheads even. just beautiful. I dont believe reducing testoserone is the answer...and also if you do pursue that...you might want to see what else you will do to yourself... you will gain weight (as fat), have a low sex drive, possibly develop e.d., have more mood swings etc. there is a lot of negative side effects for low testoserone, even for us ladies. be very careful what you wish for.

#20 ajajajskates

ajajajskates

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

but thats on females,and probably you specifically,not my case here......