Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are ways to decrease testosterone?

24 posts in this topic

I know this is something most people may not want to do, but what are ways to decrease testosterone? Or decrease androgens in general?

Androgen is the generic term for any natural or synthetic compound, usually a steroid hormone, that stimulates or controls the development and maintenance of masculine characteristics in vertebrates by binding to androgen receptors. This includes the activity of the accessory male sex organs and development of male secondary sex characteristics. Androgens, which were first discovered in 1936, are also called androgenic hormones or testoids. Androgens are also the original anabolic steroids. They are also the precursor of all estrogens, the female sex hormones. The primary and most well-known androgen is testosterone.

This is gonna sound crazy. But me and my girl stopped having sex so much.

We just cut back a little.

My acne is pretty much gone. The key for me was going from washing twice a day to once. And just one other time using tepid water during the day.

Ok first off you're a guy, so there is noreason why you'd want to decrease your testosterone. With that said, gaining weight and not exercising will lower it. Eating a lot of soy might have an effect on it too.

decreasing testosterone is not the answer

decreasing DHT is

decreasing DHT is

I know this is something most people may not want to do, but what are ways to decrease testosterone? Or decrease androgens in general?

Androgen is the generic term for any natural or synthetic compound, usually a steroid hormone, that stimulates or controls the development and maintenance of masculine characteristics in vertebrates by binding to androgen receptors. This includes the activity of the accessory male sex organs and development of male secondary sex characteristics. Androgens, which were first discovered in 1936, are also called androgenic hormones or testoids. Androgens are also the original anabolic steroids. They are also the precursor of all estrogens, the female sex hormones. The primary and most well-known androgen is testosterone.

I've been taking green tea extract which has helped a lot. It has anti-androgen effects

What decreasing androgren's help with is excess oil production. It cuts down on it A LOT.

Cardio has this effect too. But is there anything else?

I know that most people will not like to decrease testosterone because they bodybuild etc, but this may be a good way to help prevent acne from cutting down on it to stop excess oil production.

Somewhat how stress is related to acne. Since stress increases testosterone, it increases oil production which causes acne.

So if you have any other ideas, please list them

And most of this stuff just regulates it to normal levels anyway, so don't worry, it won't go below normal.

I've been taking green tea extract which has helped a lot. It has anti-androgen effects

What decreasing androgren's help with is excess oil production. It cuts down on it A LOT.

I know that most people will not like to decrease testosterone because they bodybuild etc, but this may be a good way to help prevent acne from cutting down on it to stop excess oil production.

Somewhat how stress is related to acne. Since stress increases testosterone, it increases oil production which causes acne.

So if you have any other ideas, please list them

And most of this stuff just regulates it to normal levels anyway, so don't worry, it won't go below normal.

I don't really know if this has anything to do with what you're talking about, but I thought it might, so I figured I'd post...

It's about avocados:

Not only are avocados a rich source of monounsaturated fatty acids including oleic acid, which has recently been shown to offer significant protection against breast cancer, but it is also a very concentrated dietary source of the carotenoid lutein; it also contains measurable amounts of related carotenoids (zeaxanthin, alpha-carotene and beta-carotene) plus significant quantities of tocopherols (vitamin E).

In a laboratory study published in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, an extract of avocado containing these carotenoids and tocopherols inhibited the growth of both androgen-dependent and androgen-independent prostate cancer cells.

But when researchers tried exposing the prostate cancer cells to lutein alone, the single carotenoid did not prevent cancer cell growth and replication. Not only was the whole matrix of carotenoids and tocopherols in avocado necessary for its ability to kill prostate cancer cells, but the researchers also noted that the significant amount of monounsaturated fat in avocado plays an important role. Carotenoids are lipid (fat)-soluble, which means fat must be present to ensure that these bioactive carotenoids will be absorbed into the bloodstream. Just as Nature intends, avocado delivers the whole heath-promoting package.

Alcohol, pain killers, marijuana. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this however.

Alcohol, pain killers, marijuana. I'm not sure why you'd want to do this however.

Where did you hear this?

I've heard that weight training causes an increase in testosterone (during training) followed by a decrease (during recovery).

Where did you hear this?

I've heard that weight training causes an increase in testosterone (during training) followed by a decrease (during recovery).

decreasing DHT is

any ways to do that effectively?

decreasing DHT is

any ways to do that effectively?

It's doubtful that increases in testosterone cause increases in oil production. In an early study, Kligman and his colleagues gave as much as 300 mg/day of methyl testosterone to normal males, and there was no effect on sebum production.

decreasing DHT is

I think you'll find the following study quite interesting. Sharply reducing DHT within sebaceous glands had no effect on the course of acne:

J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004 Mar;50(3):443-7.

"A systemic type I 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor is ineffective in the treatment of acne vulgaris." Leyden J, Bergfeld W, Drake L, Dunlap F, Goldman MP, Gottlieb AB, Heffernan MP, Hickman JG, Hordinsky M, Jarrett M, Kang S, Lucky A, Peck G, Phillips T, Rapaport M, Roberts J, Savin R, Sawaya ME, Shalita A, Shavin J, Shaw JC, Stein L, Stewart D, Strauss J, Swinehart J, Swinyer L, Thiboutot D, Washenik K, Weinstein G, Whiting D, Pappas F, Sanchez M, Terranella L, Waldstreicher J.

University of Pennsylvania Hospital, 36th and Spruce Streets, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA.

Excessive sebum production is a central aspect of the pathophysiology of acne vulgaris. Sebaceous gland function is under androgen control and it is hypothesized that dihydrotestosterone is formed by the action of 5 alpha-reductase. Type I is the controlling isoenzyme. This study describes a 3-month, multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial with a potent, selective inhibitor of type I 5 alpha-reductase used alone and in combination with systemic minocycline. Inhibition of type I 5 alpha-reductase was not associated with clinical improvement of acne when used alone and did not enhance the clinical benefit of systemic minocycline. These results indicate the need for further work at the molecular level to better understand the action of androgens on sebaceous gland function.

Or you could go to a doctor and pretend to be balding and ask for Finasteride. That would be by far the most effective way to decrease DHT.

Finasteride doesn't reduce DHT in sebaceous glands, and it doesn't reduce sebum production or help acne. Finasteride is a specific 5a-reductase type 2 inhibitor, whereas sebaceous glands have the type 1 form of the enzyme.

okay so im going to piss you off i think here.... but When i started an extreme no carb diet i started taking coconut oil for extra saturated fat in place of butter since i am allergic to dairy...Well it is a well known fat that saturated fat raises testosterone. when my doc checked my hormonal profile my testosterone was high- much higher than before...and i was SO clear. Im talking upclose and no blackheads even. just beautiful. I dont believe reducing testoserone is the answer...and also if you do pursue that...you might want to see what else you will do to yourself... you will gain weight (as fat), have a low sex drive, possibly develop e.d., have more mood swings etc. there is a lot of negative side effects for low testoserone, even for us ladies. be very careful what you wish for.

why dont just be on a vegie diet that would reduce testosterone levels?

smoking

lol Only joking. But smoking cigarettes does lower the testosterone level.

My acne seem to be hormonal so I'm taking isoflavone supplements and it's working. :whistle:

Cut out refined sugar, it can really mess with your hormones.

Increase your intake of vegetables...carrots, sugar snap peas, cabbage, sweet potatoes, etc. I prefer those in particular because they tend to be sweeter (except for the cabbage, but that's a good one to take as well) Also, tomatoes, broccolli, spinach, etc etc

Give it a few months, your skin should improve.