Photo

My clear skin/anti-aging diet & supplements

candida probiotic menopause

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#41 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (meat_pirate86 @ Dec 21 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the risk of sounding persistant, I really believe your congestion, fatigue and headaches are caused by dairy.

Which is why I already tried eliminating dairy for over 5 weeks just a few months ago. And also once years ago for I don't know how long, but it was way back before I learned that it was citrus that caused my cysts. I know I kept it up for a long time hoping for an improvement to my acne. I also eliminated it for a period when I was first diagnosed with rosacea. And again when I did a candida cleanse.

Besides, it sounds like I eat no more dairy than you. I have about 1/4 cup of yogurt, and sometimes cook with butter. And I haven't had any for several days. Also, my symptoms are nothing like yours.

And update, eliminating eggs still seems to be helping. Dec 15 was my last post on this, and I know I've only taken a couple of aspirin since then. And the type of headache I've had, in the back of my head near the neck, not related to congestion, is a posture issue. It occurs whenever I sit leaning back or slouching, but holding my head forward, usually on the sofa or recliner while working on my computer. I find myself doing it sometimes when driving too. It's neck tension/stiffness.

#42 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

Another update. I bought a tongue scraper and it does seem to make a bit of difference to how dry my mouth feels. I've always just used the tooth brush or one of those tooth brushes with ridges on the back. The tooth scraper works much better.

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

Stuff I just wrote in another post that I thought was pretty good and want to save to use again in the next argument:

The diet acne connection is way underblown here. Because there is a connection in many ways. There are some studies that directly prove it. And there are many studies that directly prove connections between acne and factors such as androgens. And many studies that directly prove connections between diet and androgen production. And there are studies that prove a direct connection between diet and other androgen related conditions. Put it together.

And hormone balance is not the only way diet affects acne.

----And another argument

Yes, we've had that discussion here before specifically about the RMIT study when it first started being published in so many periodicals, from medical journals to Redbook. But it doesn't matter that the RMIT researchers didn't determine exactly what about the GI improved the subjects' acne. What matters is that the diet they thought would help, did. That hardly makes it 'poorly designed' or difficult to interpret. It's perfectly simple.

In addition, it probably isn't exactly the same for everyone as a hormone balance can have many varying factors and degrees that make the subject more sensitive to high blood sugar and their effect on hormones and/or the hormone levels themselves. Such as liver function, as it's the liver's job to remove excess hormones from circulation, which it doesn't do well when it's busy removing other crap from a person's system. A nutrient dense, low-GI diet also tends to increase SHBG levels which would reduce free testosterone.

So there isn't necessarily one thing that can be 'pinpointed.' There are dozens of ways a low GI diet affects hormones. And other ways it can affect acne such as inflammation. The body is balancing a lot of functions. There's lots of give and take going on. What gives can vary from person to person.

And it's not necessarily entirely the low GI. When you cut back high GI foods, you tend to replace them with more nutrient dense foods as they did in the study. Nutrients are what your body uses to function. A few might also have lost weight, which can effect hormone levels.

And I don't get what you mean by 'there were so many dietary changes for the low glycemic group...' They followed a pretty common lower GI diet replacing sodas, potato chips and white bread with veggies, whole grains and legumes. This is cause for puzzlement?? We know how the GI works. It's been studied too.

Besides there are many other studies that do pinpoint specific effects of GI diets on hormone issues. Just google 'diet and hormones' and you'll find a million articles, books and studies. In fact, a low GI diet seems to be the number one thing to study in relation to hormone issues from PCOS to Prostrate cancer or anything to do with Androgens. Why would that be? Because there have already been tons of studies proving a relationship between diet and the factors involved in those conditions. And some of those studies involve a low fat and low GI diet, which has nothing to do with promoting the meat industry.

We know that androgens play a major role in oily skin and acne. That's been studied, proven and accepted. We know that things like SHBG levels affect hormone balance. We know that blood sugar affects androgen production. We know that SHBG levels tend to increase on a low GI diet. Studied, proven, yada yada. Etcetera.

And finally, all of these interconnected things can affect acne and be improved by diet, sleep and exercise:
Digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, hormone balance, SHBG levels, Insulin resistance, inflammation, cell function and turnover, sebum quality, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, stress etc, etc.

#44 Nastyanova

Nastyanova

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

You all agree that only holistic approach can make a difference. What do you mean when you say this magical phrase "holistic approach"? How should food habits change? What influences our look? It's a pity that we can't conduct an experiment and not eat for a specific amount of time and then start adding products and notice a difference. I've heard about raw food diet (for example, on the site beautifulonraw.com) that claims to make a difference in your appearence. Is it true? Does it really help?

#45 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (Nastyanova @ Jan 9 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You all agree that only holistic approach can make a difference. What do you mean when you say this magical phrase "holistic approach"? How should food habits change? What influences our look? It's a pity that we can't conduct an experiment and not eat for a specific amount of time and then start adding products and notice a difference. I've heard about raw food diet (for example, on the site beautifulonraw.com) that claims to make a difference in your appearence. Is it true? Does it really help?

well, I don't think I've ever actually used the phrase 'holistic approach.' But diets should change to be mostly real food with these things I like to call nutrients. So cut out the crap processed foods and drinks with their refined carbs and bad fats, which are all the things they've been telling us to eat because they claimed saturated fats were bad. Margarine, crisco, hydrogenated oil, most vegetable oils, etc. turn to trans fats. The purpose of eating is not to fill you up, it's to provide nutrients. Just eat real, nutrient dense foods.

Also, avoid anything you have difficulty digesting or have an allergy or any kind of intolerance to. Gluten and dairy are the most common, although they aren't a problem for me. Eggs, citrus, and soy are probably the next most common. Citrus causes cysts for me.

And I've never looked into or considered Raw food diets, but I think it's a gimmick. You should eat plenty of raw fruits and vegetables because many nutrients and enzymes are destroyed by cooking. But there are also many nutrients that are more accessible when cooked. And some vegetables that are not digestible unless cooked.

#46 Nastyanova

Nastyanova

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

Thank you for your attention! It was very helpful for me!

#47 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

Well, I've had my mother and Grandmother visiting for nearly a month and we had to eat old school S.A.D., acceptable to them meals. so I haven't been able to eat at all hypoallergenic or to really avoid eggs in foods. I'll have to start again.

However, we have continuously had freakishly dry for this semi-tropical climate for way over a month now. And I have felt quite a bit better almost the entire time, going several days at a time without a headache. Supporting the theory I've always had which is that I would feel better if I moved to a dryer climate.

My dry hands and eyes are absolutely killing me though.

#48 jhutter

jhutter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2009 - 04:13 PM

Hi,
I am new tho the board but have been ready your comments and they have been s helpful to me. I am wondering if you would have any advice for me about my situation. I am 27 and seem similar to you in your struggle with acne, yet now you are clear:) I have had problems starting from when I was 10 years old. I have been on multiple types of BCP to using none at all which was terrible to now being on yaz (which doesn't seem to help) just the last two weeks of pills in the pack make my skin terrible.

I have tried everything else, every topical treatment, spiro, antibiotics, etc. I am now reduced to having such sensitive skin that I can not even use water to wash my face. My skin reacts poorly to everything put on it topically. I can't use cleansers, lotions of any kind, water unless it is distilled. Also temperature affects my skin I just moved to Boston and my skin is so bad now with dry heat inside and cold temps outside it is bleeding a flaky.

I also have tried asprin on my skin, aloe, and on and on.

I simply use witch hazel on my skin right now and nothing else.

I feel like I have gone to 30 or so dermatologists, 2 acupunturist, 1 nutritionist and still no answers.

The most helpful was the nutritionist. We took allergy tests and hormone tests and found my testosterone levels were at 90, pretty high, now probably down a bit that I am back on yaz. But I have to be on some hormones because my body won't regulate them on there own my gyno said, I basically am stuck on them now because I have messed them up so bad.

Also I found I am allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs and nuts, and pineapple.

I still eat a little wheat right now and only cream in my coffee. I am wondering if you would guess that my inflammed skin and acne are mostly hormonal and are diet related.

Should I not be drinking any coffee at all? Should I eat not wheat at all? I am a vegetarian and eat a veges a bunch but not enough. I don't get enough protein. I find that I when I take zinc 50mg, my omegas and multi it helps. I also feel dehydrated a bunch.

My skin has a hard time healing itself. I get scabs and they stay for over a month. It is constantly peeling.

I have been breaking out on my cheeks which I never did years ago??? And on my jaw line? I find that I get breakouts in the same places all the time?

What advice could you give me on my situation? Should I take Saw Palmetto, I just bought some but haven't started because I didn't know how it will affect my hormones?

Any help would be great.

Best

QUOTE (alternativista @ Jan 3 2009, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stuff I just wrote in another post that I thought was pretty good and want to save to use again in the next argument:

The diet acne connection is way underblown here. Because there is a connection in many ways. There are some studies that directly prove it. And there are many studies that directly prove connections between acne and factors such as androgens. And many studies that directly prove connections between diet and androgen production. And there are studies that prove a direct connection between diet and other androgen related conditions. Put it together.

And hormone balance is not the only way diet affects acne.

----And another argument

Yes, we've had that discussion here before specifically about the RMIT study when it first started being published in so many periodicals, from medical journals to Redbook. But it doesn't matter that the RMIT researchers didn't determine exactly what about the GI improved the subjects' acne. What matters is that the diet they thought would help, did. That hardly makes it 'poorly designed' or difficult to interpret. It's perfectly simple.

In addition, it probably isn't exactly the same for everyone as a hormone balance can have many varying factors and degrees that make the subject more sensitive to high blood sugar and their effect on hormones and/or the hormone levels themselves. Such as liver function, as it's the liver's job to remove excess hormones from circulation, which it doesn't do well when it's busy removing other crap from a person's system. A nutrient dense, low-GI diet also tends to increase SHBG levels which would reduce free testosterone.

So there isn't necessarily one thing that can be 'pinpointed.' There are dozens of ways a low GI diet affects hormones. And other ways it can affect acne such as inflammation. The body is balancing a lot of functions. There's lots of give and take going on. What gives can vary from person to person.

And it's not necessarily entirely the low GI. When you cut back high GI foods, you tend to replace them with more nutrient dense foods as they did in the study. Nutrients are what your body uses to function. A few might also have lost weight, which can effect hormone levels.

And I don't get what you mean by 'there were so many dietary changes for the low glycemic group...' They followed a pretty common lower GI diet replacing sodas, potato chips and white bread with veggies, whole grains and legumes. This is cause for puzzlement?? We know how the GI works. It's been studied too.

Besides there are many other studies that do pinpoint specific effects of GI diets on hormone issues. Just google 'diet and hormones' and you'll find a million articles, books and studies. In fact, a low GI diet seems to be the number one thing to study in relation to hormone issues from PCOS to Prostrate cancer or anything to do with Androgens. Why would that be? Because there have already been tons of studies proving a relationship between diet and the factors involved in those conditions. And some of those studies involve a low fat and low GI diet, which has nothing to do with promoting the meat industry.

We know that androgens play a major role in oily skin and acne. That's been studied, proven and accepted. We know that things like SHBG levels affect hormone balance. We know that blood sugar affects androgen production. We know that SHBG levels tend to increase on a low GI diet. Studied, proven, yada yada. Etcetera.

And finally, all of these interconnected things can affect acne and be improved by diet, sleep and exercise:
Digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, hormone balance, SHBG levels, Insulin resistance, inflammation, cell function and turnover, sebum quality, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, stress etc, etc.

#49 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (jhutter @ Feb 28 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The most helpful was the nutritionist. We took allergy tests and hormone tests and found my testosterone levels were at 90, pretty high, now probably down a bit that I am back on yaz. But I have to be on some hormones because my body won't regulate them on there own my gyno said, I basically am stuck on them now because I have messed them up so bad.

Also I found I am allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs and nuts, and pineapple.

I still eat a little wheat right now and only cream in my coffee. I am wondering if you would guess that my inflammed skin and acne are mostly hormonal and are diet related.

Should I not be drinking any coffee at all? Should I eat not wheat at all? I am a vegetarian and eat a veges a bunch but not enough. I don't get enough protein. I find that I when I take zinc 50mg, my omegas and multi it helps. I also feel dehydrated a bunch.

Yes, you should try avoiding anything you are allergic to. And try avoiding coffee. Try decaf green, spearmint, chamomile etc teas. Spearmint has anti-androgenic effects--studies and my experience have shown that it's helpful for hirsutism. Caffeine is a problem for many reasons, including being a diuretic and you say you feel dehydrated. Drink water and caffeine free teas.

What about sugar and processed foods and drinks? Sleep? Sunlight or D supplements? Caffeine can also interfere with sleep even if you don't notice it having a stimulating effect. I found that out a few years ago when I was taking those Excedrin pain relievers with caffeine in them. I still fell asleep as easily as always, but woke up at least every 2 hours. Do you have any digestion issues? Binge eat? Not chew your food properly?

Did your gyno give you any reason why your body 'can't' regulate hormones? Do you have adrenal fatigue? Liver problems? Circulation issues? Insulin resistance? If you've been reading my posts, then you know that diet does effect hormones as does sleep and exercise. Because diet, sleep and exercise effect all those conditions and more.

I would think that witch hazel would be harder on your skin than water, aloe, etc. Witch hazel contains a lot of alcohol. It's benefit is that it also contains a lot of tannins, but so does tea. Green tea can be soothing topically. You could try mixing a lotion with some aloe, green tea, and jojoba. And wash with plain water. Can you just wipe your face with a soft damp cloth? This is all I do in the mornings. In the evening, I have makeup to remove.

You could also try oil cleansing. Google it and you'll find lots of instructions. There are a few threads here on it as well.

Also, consider if you have rosacea now. I got it about your age or a little later. And it can flare up with extreme temperature changes. I found that aloe vera was just as helpful as the prescription topical i was given.

And keep up the supplements. You might add some C throughout the day, or eat foods high in it throughout the day. And concentrate on eating primarily nutrient dense and anti-oxident rich fruits, veggies, fish, seeds etc. Pumpkin seeds are a very high quality protein source and are also high in nutrients helpful for acne such as zinc and magnesium.

But always try to watch out for hypersensitivities.

Try visit drlam.org and PCOS related sites that discuss diet. I get a email newsletter that talks a lot about diet improving PCOS symptoms including acne and PMS, but I don't have one at the moment and don't remember the name of the organization. And I used to have a link to a study in which a low GI, low fat diet improved PMS in women with PCOS. But that link is broken.

#50 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

Current and ideal Vitals:

For the last several weeks I've weighed 117.something. I was 113.something for quite a while, then when my mother visited for a month I gained 6-7lbs. I'd like to think it's not going down as low because I gained some muscle.

So I calculated my ideal vitals for my height (5'4") and age(43):
Max HR = 177
Target HR = 115
Ideal body weight = 120

Resting HR: This applies to everyone:
Good: 67-70
Excellent: 35-57

I want to try monitoring my heart rate to see if it seems to go up after eating a food I have an intolerance for so I can try to use it to find more so I can eliminate them. But my tests get such varying results. I've had everything from excellent to bad. I keep meaning to take it first thing in the morning before i've done anything, but I forget.

Also, I have pedometer with a pulse meter that tests using your finger, but the results seem to vary according to how hard you press on it. It doesn't work at all if you press hard. And I have a BP tester, which I assume is more accurate, but I'm not positive I'm using it right as in having the cuff turned the right so the monitor is hitting the right spot. And the HR results from it are always high, from just barely in the good range to quite a bit higher. And your BP can vary according to how high you rest your arm.

----------------
Also, I've been getting some sun around noon each day with arms, upper chest, usually legs below knees exposed.

I've still avoided eggs other than having a little in some baked good and I don't think it's made a difference.

And I'm starting to think that most of my headaches are tension from posture. I've been having neck and upper back pain along with headaches in the back of my head. The upper back pain isn't a new thing. I've often gotten that after long hours of working at the computer, which is what I do. Then I started getting these headaches in the back of my head, which I eventually figured were posture. And just the last few weeks, my neck is actually hurting. Don't know why I'm suddenly not strong enough to hold up my own head without it hurting, but I think I'm going to have to go buy a fancy neck pillow for sleeping, so at least I'm not adding to the problem at night. And it's never mattered before what kind of pillow, how thick, dense or whatever, or even if I used a pillow.

I tried some acupressure points and there's one at the base of the skull in the back of your head and if I press on it, I cause a sharp pain in my temple. And that's the kind of headache I have most often and have had for years. So I'm wondering if all along they were actually neck tension. Because it sure feels connected right now. Also, I haven't been able to relieve any pain with these accupressure points. Just cause it.

#51 Tyga

Tyga

H!&H

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:14 PM

What modifications have you made to your exercise regimen, and what type of cardiovascular activity do you find the most enjoyable? The only mention of exercise I saw was from a post on the first page, and I'm interested in reading more in detail about your routine (if you wish to reveal more).

#52 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (M0RTALS1NN3R @ Mar 7 2009, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What modifications have you made to your exercise regimen, and what type of cardiovascular activity do you find the most enjoyable? The only mention of exercise I saw was from a post on the first page, and I'm interested in reading more in detail about your routine (if you wish to reveal more).

I find walking the most enjoyable and the something you don't have to feel great in order to do. In fact it's very good for a headache. I do that daily. Plus I do a little resistance training like squats, lunges, etc. I also have the kettlenetics program which uses light kettlebell weights. I really like a lot of the moves in that.

And a couple days a week I go to a nearby park that's hilly and walk up and down hills and periodically charge up the steep hills. I've been meaning to do more interval type things like add short sprints into my walk, but I rarely put on the right shoes. And I prefer the hills. Short bursts of intense exertion stimulates HGH, so weight lifting or intervals is good for that. I'm also doing some dance workouts from the FitTV like belly dancing or latin. This is more for my brain than anything else. Learning such routines is a lot harder than it used to be.

#53 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

Good Things

Natural Antihistamines (but there's more involved than just histamines in allergic reaction)
Vitamin C, Salt,
Quercetin - from Apples, grapes, tea, onion, especially red onion (higher in the outermost rings[10]), red grapes, citrus fruit, tomato, broccoli and other leafy green vegetables, and a number of berries, prickly pear cactus.

Proanthocyanidins- flavonols found in apples, cinnamon, grape seed, cocoa, grape skin, and red wines of Vitis vinifera. However, bilberry, cranberry, black currant, green tea, black tea, and many other plants contain them. Also protect from sun damage, protect against breakdown of collagen, anti-oxident, strengthen capillaries for improved circulation.

Things good for the liver: sulfur in a nutshell, stimulates liver enzymes, 'detox'
CYSTEINE, METHIONINE - sulfur containing amino acids. Essential, but body can make one from other.
TAURINE - sulfur containing amino acid made by body from the above
N.A.C - Form of cysteine

GLUTAMINE
GLUTATHIONE
GLYCINE

SULPHUR PHYTOCHEMICAL - From Allium (garlic, onions, leaks), Brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts )
CALCIUM D-GLUCARATE - from broccoli & some other of the veg above
LIPOIC ACID and important anti-oxident nutrient.

QUERCETIN - Flavanoid abundant in apples.

Things good for blood sugar metabolism:
Exercise!
Chromium
Lipoic Acid
Omega 3 EFAs,
Magnesium

#54 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

So I've given the egg avoidance thing more than enough time and it hasn't changed how I feel over all. I haven't had one since sometime in December, although in Dec and Jan I occasionally had foods that contained egg. But I can't think of anything that I've had since then that could possibly contain eggs.

Also, I was just rereading my whole log and noticed several times when I thought something was helping my hirsutism. I'm puzzled by that. But maybe it has been getting better all along. Or maybe it was my imagination.

But I've very certain that there's been a dramatic improvement since beginning the mint tea, which has studies to back it up. In addition, the mint tea is specifically a DHT inhibitor that works specifically on the enzyme that converts DHT in hair follicles. None of the other inhibitors I've tried are.

#55 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

See! Big storm front came today and I had such a splitting headache, the kind nothing really helps. Not really debilitating like migraine sufferers get, but pretty bad. As bad as I ever get.

Plus I've had a headache pretty much each day leading up to today. We had a front bringing rainy conditions a couple of days ago. And there's a cold front coming tomorrow.

Anyway, the storm has blown over and my headache is mostly gone. Just a hint of the sharp pain in my left temple. It feels almost like the headache leaves a bruise. The barometric pressure is currently 29.55 in. I wish I'd checked it earlier during the storm. But I didn't get around to it, what with all that laying on the sofa with a heat compress on my forehead. I'd been meaning to track an association between pressure and headaches.

Huh, I just found an archive of pressure and it wasn't that much different throughout the day when I had a severe headache. More like 29.8. How much does barometric pressure change? I looked in the archive and a day earlier in the week, it varied from 30.1 to 30.2something. I don't recall how I felt that day, but there were no severe headaches.

edit: 3/27 am Barometric pressure is 29.55. I have a very slight headache that I'm sure would go away if I just got up and moved around. Slightly congested.

3/28 - Pressure ranged from 29.8 to 30. i think I felt fine all day.
3/29 - Felt fine. Pressure ranged from 30.1 to 29.9.

Actually, I went to bed with a headache one of those nights and woke with one too. took aspirin in the early morning.

3/30 - Pressure is 29.8.in right now but pressure is dropping from 29.95 at midnight Feel ok, congested but no headache. There is some weather today, it's overcast. Rain tomorrow. And new cold fronts tomorrow night or Wednesday morning.
3/31 - Pressure ranged from 29.7 at midnight up to 29.9 at 4. Sudden increase around 11. Slight headache then.
4/1 - Pressure is rising today. From 29.72 at midnight to 29.9 so far today. I have a bit of a headache but I think it's neck tension. And am slightly congested.

4/24 - I've had the pain in my temple headache almost all week. It was dry at first, but became more humid. Rain started Friday. And the barometric pressure has been 30.0 - 30.1 all week.
4/27 - Still headachy. Woke up at 5:30 am with headache. Severe weather in the area. Pressure ranging from 30.0 - 30.1 today.

----------------
BTW, the only thing that helps a bad headache is hot or cold compresses and only while there is actually a compress on my head. And taking a walk or some other physical activity, but pretty much only while I'm doing the activity. Adrenaline is a very good pain killer. The best I think. If you've ever had an hyperactive dog like a labrador, you've probably noticed how they don't seem to feel any pain.

#56 the fiverman

the fiverman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

great thread.

i have a question. Does concentrate orange juice break you out any.

i have a problem with citrus too. i break out in cystic acne also.

#57 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (the fiverman @ Mar 28 2009, 06:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great thread.

i have a question. Does concentrate orange juice break you out any.

i have a problem with citrus too. i break out in cystic acne also.

I don't know for sure. I haven't had any in many years. I know I was eating oranges when I figured it out. And I can't eat tangerines or key limes either. Other lemons and limes are ok. Or rather the juice from them. I don't eat them.

#58 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Huh. I was sure I already posted this.

So I ordered a new Candida supplement and started it 3 or so days ago. In addition to the usual anti-fungal herbals and probiotics, it has some enzymes that claim to further break down fiber as well as the candida cell walls. We'll see. Dosage is one a day and it doesn't say when. I would have thought it would be a good to take such a pill before each meal. More in this thread

Also, got a different version of Sinus Buster pepper nasal spray with Capsaicin. This is specifically for allergy and intended to be used daily, not as needed for a headache. I also ordered my usual headache formula but it hasn't arrived. I 've been using the allergy formula once a day for about 3 or so days.

#59 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

"nother thing I wrote in a thread that I thought was pretty good:

Yes, and what's really good for the liver is sulfur containing plant foods like broccoli, cabbage, kale, onions, garlic, etc. Also, quercetin, a flavanoid abundant in apples.

You also want to do whatever is good for your adrenals which is sleep, lower stress, vitamin C.

And whatever is good for blood sugar which is exercise, diet, some nutrients like chromium, Alpha lipoic acid, cinnamon, ...

And whatever is good for digestion like stimulating HCL, chewing food well, never binging.

And whatever is good for chronic silent inflammation, which is consuming far more anti-inflammatory than inflammatory foods. Anything you have an intolerance for is inflammatory.

#60 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Mar 26 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See! Big storm front came today and I had such a splitting headache, the kind nothing really helps. Not really debilitating like migraine sufferers get, but pretty bad. As bad as I ever get.

Plus I've had a headache pretty much each day leading up to today. We had a front bringing rainy conditions a couple of days ago. And there's a cold front coming tomorrow.

Anyway, the storm has blown over and my headache is mostly gone. Just a hint of the sharp pain in my left temple. It feels almost like the headache leaves a bruise. The barometric pressure is currently 29.55 in. I wish I'd checked it earlier during the storm. But I didn't get around to it, what with all that laying on the sofa with a heat compress on my forehead. I'd been meaning to track an association between pressure and headaches.

Huh, I just found an archive of pressure and it wasn't that much different throughout the day when I had a severe headache. More like 29.8. How much does barometric pressure change? I looked in the archive and a day earlier in the week, it varied from 30.1 to 30.2something. I don't recall how I felt that day, but there were no severe headaches.

edit: 3/27 am Barometric pressure is 29.55. I have a very slight headache that I'm sure would go away if I just got up and moved around. Slightly congested.

3/28 - Pressure ranged from 29.8 to 30. i think I felt fine all day.
3/29 - Felt fine. Pressure ranged from 30.1 to 29.9.

Actually, I went to bed with a headache one of those nights and woke with one too. took aspirin in the early morning.

3/30 - Pressure is 29.8.in right now but pressure is dropping from 29.95 at midnight Feel ok, congested but no headache. There is some weather today, it's overcast. Rain tomorrow. And new cold fronts tomorrow night or Wednesday morning.
3/31 - Pressure ranged from 29.7 at midnight up to 29.9 at 4. Sudden increase around 11. Slight headache then.
4/1 - Pressure is rising today. From 29.72 at midnight to 29.9 so far today. I have a bit of a headache but I think it's neck tension. And am slightly congested.

----------------
BTW, the only thing that helps a bad headache is hot or cold compresses and only while there is actually a compress on my head. And taking a walk or some other physical activity, but pretty much only while I'm doing the activity. Adrenaline is a very good pain killer. The best I think. If you've ever had an hyperactive dog like a labrador, you've probably noticed how they don't seem to feel any pain.

Hey alternativista, when I get a headache I do these three things and it always goes away within 45 minutes.

First I take a walk about 3/4 of a block constant walking at a comfortable place and pace, looking around and thinking.
Next I come home, peel off my clothes and let hot but not too hot water hit the back of my skull in a steady stream for about 5-6 minutes.
After that I towel dry and hop in to bed in loose-fitting and silky pjs and just lie flat on my back with no pillow.

I find the walking reduces my tension and helps with circulation. The hot water and pressure seems to loosen pain and it evaporates mostly, then lying in bed with cool, damp hair is really soothing and calming. Also important is the clothing aspect. Wearing your heavy clothes and walking helps diffuse pressure throughout your body, then when you are naked I find it takes the pressure off and you steam out a headache. Loose-fitting clothing that is lightweight is also important when lying down, as it is kind of a cool down. I love doing this as it's really just a nice brisk walk, a shower and a nap (my favourite!). Also, once your headache is gone you're all ready to go out!
Please give this a try sometime, tell me about it if you do and have the time please!