Photo

My clear skin/anti-aging diet & supplements

candida probiotic menopause

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
114 replies to this topic

#21 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:31 PM

So, I've been noticing for several weeks now that growth of androgenic hair has been slowing down. I at first attributed it to the NAC and GLA I had begun taking, but now I'm thinking it's the spearmint or peppermint teas I've been drinking. So about a week ago, I decided to increase to 2 cups a day and I think the growth is even slower.

#22 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

I started avoiding gluten yesterday.

#23 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

Ok, it's Friday, my fifth day of avoiding gluten. After just a couple of days, my sinuses drained a bit and I've felt a lot better since headache-wise considering there was a hurricane in the area. So maybe this is working. Damn. I so don't want to be gluten intolerant.

If it's not more conclusive by the end of the week, I might try to be more methodical by trying a hypo-allergenic diet for a week, then adding back in more foods gradually. Then again, that takes more planning. Maybe I'll just stick to the original plan and avoid gluten for 2 weeks and see.

#24 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

Hmm. It's been a little over three weeks since I started avoiding gluten. Sure seems like longer. No improvement as far as I can tell.

#25 ~Tiny~

~Tiny~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Aug 13 2008, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm. It's been a little over three weeks since I started avoiding gluten. Sure seems like longer. No improvement as far as I can tell.

I love this!! keep it up. I'm like you trying diffrent sh** all the time ( mostly vitamins and home remedy treatments, diet changes etc) . I love reading what you've tried and what does and does not work for you.

Just curious?? What sort of cleanser do you use? and What do you think of lush products?
I've been using their stuff for a few weeks now and It's ok but i'm just curious what you think might be better? Also, in case you didn't know be careful with some of the Nature's made vitamins alot of them have other crap added, make sure it's dairy gluten etc... free. ( you probably already knew that but just thought i'd tell ya )
Thanks!!

#26 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2008 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (tawnya @ Aug 13 2008, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (alternativista @ Aug 13 2008, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love this!! keep it up. I'm like you trying diffrent sh** all the time ( mostly vitamins and home remedy treatments, diet changes etc) . I love reading what you've tried and what does and does not work for you.

Just curious?? What sort of cleanser do you use? and What do you think of lush products?
I've been using their stuff for a few weeks now and It's ok but i'm just curious what you think might be better? Also, in case you didn't know be careful with some of the Nature's made vitamins alot of them have other crap added, make sure it's dairy gluten etc... free. ( you probably already knew that but just thought i'd tell ya )
Thanks!!

I use cetaphil in the evenings when there's makeup to be removed and usually just water in the mornings. Sometimes I oil cleanse with castor oil and jojoba.

#27 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

Just found this about ACV and vinegar helping headaches/sinus. So I guess I really should try drinking ACV. I will start today when I get home.

It says to inhale the vapor from hot water ACV in equal parts, so I guess I'll do that with a small amount, then dilute and drink throughout the day.

#28 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

So, it's been over 4 weeks since I began avoiding gluten. There's been no clear change. And I'm going to visit mom and grandma for over a week on Friday. There will be gluten. And any change from adding gluten will still not be conclusive as flying (bad) and climate change (good) will have an effect on my headaches.

#29 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 67
About Me

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:30 AM

Hey, are you still using NAC at all? Also, what brand did you use before? smile.gif I've been doing the whole "treating my body as if I'm diabetic" method (as mentioned in your sig) for almost a couple months now, and it's definitely working. Now I'm just trying to find the best supplmenet to control my insulin levels and reducing insulin resistance. NAC seems to be very promising from the studies I have read...

#30 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

^I haven't been taking NAC because I was traveling for nearly 2 weeks and I reduced my pills to my multi and C. And then a few days after I got home, the hurricane hit and I didn't bother digging out all the vitamins during my 11 days without electricity. I'm starting them again now.

Update:

I think the mint tea has been having the most effect on my hirsutism. Remember, I was taking the NAC because I read somewhere that NAC and GLA may stimulate salivary glands. Remember I have this thirst problem.

RE: The thirst problem. Since I also have dry nasal passages and I guess my eyes are somewhat dry, I've been wondering if I am dehydrated. My skin doesn't seem to be dehydrated. But anyway, I read that sodium is needed to trigger the cells to take in water, and they do rehydrate people with saline. Since I don't eat that much salt most days, so I've been adding a pinch of salt to my water a couple of times per day. I did that several months ago too, and quit. Because I went to the dentist and she took my blood pressure and said it was getting a little high. My blood pressure had always been very low and my father had high blood pressure so I am at risk. So I'm cutting out the salt. And anyway, I just took my blood pressure with a home device that may not be so accurate, and it was something like 135/85. I am going to call my gynecolegists office and see if they will tell me what my blood pressure was on my prior visits over the last 2 years. Because they never said anything, so I would think it was low then, and if so, maybe it's something I'm doing.

Have decided to take hyaluronic acid to see if it helps with hydration. I've tried it before, but I was taking just one or two capsules per day. The dosage on the bottle is 2 and it says some people should take as many as 4. So that's what I'm trying.

#31 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

So my thirst/dehydration issues may be caused by Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus. Or one of the other forms of diabetes insipidus, which have nothing to do with blood sugar but with the kidneys and inability to retain water.

http://www.acne.org/...p...t&p=2417553

What needs to be tested:
http://www.emedicine...ed/TOPIC543.HTM
The clinician should measure serum electrolytes and glucose, urine specific gravity, urinary sodium, simultaneous serum and urine osmolality, and ADH levels. A urine specific gravity of 1.005 or less and a urine osmolality less than 200 mOsm/kg is the hallmark of diabetes insipidus. Random plasma osmolality generally is greater than 287 mOsm/kg.

#32 nausicaa241

nausicaa241

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

Question on NSI Synergy, what version do you use?

Edited by nausicaa241, 06 September 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#33 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

I'm avoiding nightshades this week. Started Tuesday.

Next I'll avoid all citrus, which means the lemon and lime juice in water and on food. I was going to try a hypoallergenic diet, but haven't done the planning.

My tests were inconclusive and very expensive. I did show low sodium which could be because it's diluted by the amount of water I drink. But I don't eat much salt. I was making an effort to use more, but then I discovered my blood pressure was high so I cut it out right before the doctor visit. So who knows. I am supposed to go back after restricting water overnight for another test, but I'm currently arguing about the outrageous charges.

My zero gravity was 1.006, so not an indicator of diabetes insipidus. I don't see urine osmolality in the test results.

#34 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:47 AM

Also, re my thirst issues. I was reading on another forum someone's complaint about dry mouth and a dentist responded by asking if it feels dry under the tongue. If not, then there's nothing wrong with that person's salivary glands.

So why the hell didn't the ENT I saw last spring think of that? So there's nothing wrong with my salivary glands and I shouldn't have been tested for sjogrens syndrome or prescribed medications to stimulate salivary glands. Expensive medications. Wasting my time, money and limited insurance benefits.

On top of that, I've seen a dentist, endodontist, GP and an optometrist since then. On the forms they ask you to fill out, they always ask about dry mouth, nasal, eyes, etc. And I always check those. Yet not one ever offered any comment.

Really, the traditional medical industry remains completely useless to me. Expensive wastes of time.

#35 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 67
About Me

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

I hope everything's okay! Good luck with the thirst issues... hopefully its nothing very serious.

Also, are you still taking NAC, GLA, and drinking mint tea? If so, how's that combo treating you so far?

#36 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Mandy Ann @ Dec 5 2008, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope everything's okay! Good luck with the thirst issues... hopefully its nothing very serious.

Also, are you still taking NAC, GLA, and drinking mint tea? If so, how's that combo treating you so far?

I'm just drinking the mint tea. I'm pretty sure it's made a big difference to my hirsutism. The androgenic hairs are a lot less coarse so it feels like the growth is slower.

#37 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:57 PM

Well, I avoided nightshades for nearly 2 weeks. I also avoided lemon/lime for most of that time. Ended last night when I went out to eat.

I'm now avoiding most of the hits on my allergy test that I hadn't tried before, which are egg whites, baking powder. Not avoiding dairy (although it's yogurt only) right now though. I've tried that for over a month before. Anyway I've had very little of the other things on the list and mostly eaten hypoallergenic foods for several days now.

This is probably not being methodical enough, but I have felt less fatigued the last couple of days. Definately too soon to tell though. And I've still had headaches of course with the weather changing all the time. A new cold front arrived today. Yesterday was warm and muggy.

Going to go try making my yummy baked oatmeal recipe leaving out the egg and hope it turns out. Don't see why not.

#38 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:34 PM

The day after I eat yogurt I get a migraine. This happens with butter too. Milk has a diminished effect. I hate to say it, but chances are the one thing you are not testing is what is causing it.

#39 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (meat_pirate86 @ Dec 17 2008, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The day after I eat yogurt I get a migraine. This happens with butter too. Milk has a diminished effect. I hate to say it, but chances are the one thing you are not testing is what is causing it.

Well, thanks, but I don't get migraines. I get congestion and mild headaches that worsen with weather changes which occur every couple of days here so it's next to impossible to make a connection to food when what I feel is more related to the weather. And like I said, I already avoided all dairy for over a month, in addition to avoiding it years ago when I first heard of it potentially causing acne.

And just like in my last post, it's warm and muggy with a new front arriving tomorrow.

#40 meat_pirate86

meat_pirate86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

At the risk of sounding persistant, I really believe your congestion, fatigue and headaches are caused by dairy. After consuming dairy like milk or yoghurt, my cognition slows down. I feel happy for a period of hours. All the while I am less able to breathe easily. My throat is coated lightly at the back near my tonsils. The next day I wake up tired with a coated tongue. During the evening of the next day I often get a headache if I have had only one serving. If I have 2 servings in one day, my headache the next day will be more severe. 3 servings = migraine. It will take me three or four days to completely heal all symptoms. I also get congestion from rice and soy milk, nut milks, etc. although not headaches. Unmelted butter will give me a headache within 4 hours.

Dairy products may not cause acne, but they negatively effect my health and well-being. I can consume small amounts of clarified butter daily for cooking. I have small amounts of cream (just enough to lighten slightly) in a half cup of coffee often, which is not a problem either.