176 replies to this topic

#161 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE(Alex R. @ Mar 28 2007, 02:22 PM) View Post

"Drinking green tea still is good for you," said Yu-Dong Zhou, a molecular biologist at the university's National Center for Natural Products Research. "There are thousands of years of evidence on that, but the idea of taking the equivalent of hundreds of cups of tea a day is something that needs to be looked at carefully."

"At low concentrations, it doesn't seem to have this potentially negative effect as we saw in the lab," she said. "A lot more study needs to be done to see what the outcome will be in people who take high doses of these compounds."

"In theory, this effect on HIF-1 could suppress some early forms of tumors but may actually help other tumors - especially some of the more aggressive ones - survive and grow," Nagle said.

Cautioning that the results are preliminary - the study was performed using cultured cells in test tubes - Zhou noted that taking extremely high doses of any dietary supplement is worrisome to researchers.

And the moral is,

1) Don't take hundreds of cups worth in a day. - Check
2) Don't overdose on any dietary supplement. - Check
3) It's in theory
4) Anything in excess, is bad, including water.

Hmmm.

lol I hate those dumb articles that pretty much scare you. This is common sense, hundreds of cups worth is so so many pills. I'm completely safe.

For the sake of argument, even if you drank 100's of cups worth a day of water, you will die. But that should be just obvious, don't take that much.
Gone out of the country July 5th to August 5th

Finally Clear! < Click link for regimen
People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

#162 BigBeauty

BigBeauty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

Anyone else been getting headaches or feeling slightly nauseous from the green tea extracts? I've tried these on and off for the past couple weeks, but finally figured it out these were causing my headaches. Been headache free since I stopped. I always took them with a balanced meal, no diary. I was taking the Vitamin Shoppe brand: http://www.vitaminsh....jsp?id=VS-1679

The few times that I have also tried drinking tea before I also felt similiar. I always figured it was just the caffeine in tea because my caffeine tolerance is low (I never really have any) and have felt similiar from coffee or NoDoz pills. But maybe I'm allergic to green tea? Seems weird...

#163 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(BigBeauty @ Mar 30 2007, 03:56 PM) View Post
Anyone else been getting headaches or feeling slightly nauseous from the green tea extracts? I've tried these on and off for the past couple weeks, but finally figured it out these were causing my headaches. Been headache free since I stopped. I always took them with a balanced meal, no diary. I was taking the Vitamin Shoppe brand: http://www.vitaminsh....jsp?id=VS-1679

The few times that I have also tried drinking tea before I also felt similiar. I always figured it was just the caffeine in tea because my caffeine tolerance is low (I never really have any) and have felt similiar from coffee or NoDoz pills. But maybe I'm allergic to green tea? Seems weird...

They were really potent for me at first, hence 2 to 3 was good for the first two weeks. I remember, I could not take more than that or else I'd really be in for it. I was surprised how potent they were for a herb/plant.

Tell me more about how much you took. I took 2 at a time once, biggest mistake... I felt really light headed and like I was on drugs. And without food was the worst.

Even with food it made you have head aches?

Three weeks in, I have no side effects anymore, I take 2 together (3x daily) and still feel just normal (but never moody) but I can't feel it kick in as I descirbed, but I still have that good feeling, always normal calm, sex drive is always under control and everything.

But starting out, I could never take more than 2 a day.

People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

#164 BigBeauty

BigBeauty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 30 2007, 05:54 PM) View Post

They were really potent for me at first, hence 2 to 3 was good for the first two weeks. I remember, I could not take more than that or else I'd really be in for it. I was surprised how potent they were for a herb/plant.

Tell me more about how much you took. I took 2 at a time once, biggest mistake... I felt really light headed and like I was on drugs. And without food was the worst.

Three weeks in, I have no side effects anymore, I take 2 together (3x daily) and still feel just normal (but never moody) but I can't feel it kick in as I descirbed, but I still have that good feeling, always normal calm, sex drive is always under control and everything.

I was only taking 1 or 2 a day. I think I'm going to put them aside for now, maybe try experimenting again later, I just don't feel like dealing with the side effects now especially until more people post with positive results. Oh well...

#165 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(BigBeauty @ Mar 30 2007, 05:51 PM) View Post
QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 30 2007, 05:54 PM) View Post

I was only taking 1 or 2 a day. I think I'm going to put them aside for now, maybe try experimenting again later, I just don't feel like dealing with the side effects now especially until more people post with positive results. Oh well...

No problem smile.gif! I'm sorry that it gave you headaches from low dosages sad.gif

#166 DesertRat

DesertRat

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:17 PM

I just bought the Jarrow brand 500mg pills. I was thinking of starting out with just 1 a day. What do you think should be the maximum per day. I was thinking of 2/day max.

Thanks!

#167 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE(DesertRat @ Mar 30 2007, 09:17 PM) View Post
I just bought the Jarrow brand 500mg pills. I was thinking of starting out with just 1 a day. What do you think should be the maximum per day. I was thinking of 2/day max.

Thanks!

I looked up the brand, it has about the same amount of catechins in mine so I can give you a similar dosage requirement.

First try 1, see how you feel.
If you feel good, try 3 a day (morning, afternoon, night).

Make sure you note any effects you feel.

http://www.nutricraz...g-p-JR-034.html

As noted, these, and mine, do not have caffeine in it so therefore there should be no head aches etc associated with it

By effects, I mean how it feels after you take it, like what I felt was... I felt really good, and you can tell it was going into effect.

Let me know smile.gif (the effects happened 30 to 40 minutes in... and peaked at 2 hours).

#168 eagle

eagle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:42 AM

still taking the Grean tea extracts + drinking green tea
it goes very well !

my face improved 60-70 % over the last weeks since i ve been taking this

i still get small whiteheads sometimes but they disappear very fast !

now i have to get rid of the red marks , but this takes time...

btw i tried everything for my acne before => bp, B5 , ...
nothing worked for me , en now this is working very well , dont get it? confused.gif

i hope this shit keeps working ! wacko.gif

i ll report later

#169 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE(eagle @ Mar 31 2007, 04:42 AM) View Post
still taking the Grean tea extracts + drinking green tea
it goes very well !

my face improved 60-70 % over the last weeks since i ve been taking this

i still get small whiteheads sometimes but they disappear very fast !

now i have to get rid of the red marks , but this takes time...

btw i tried everything for my acne before => bp, B5 , ...
nothing worked for me , en now this is working very well , dont get it? confused.gif

i hope this shit keeps working ! wacko.gif

i ll report later

Sweet!! I'm really happy to hear that smile.gif. I figured, if it can lessen the severity of acne by 70% for a severe acne person, it would do wonders for everyone. I'm glad I looked into it, and found out why and how it works, and it's true! I'm so happy you have found success with it as well.

How many are you taking? And also, do you take fish oil as well? Together it literally gives no reason for acne to happen. I still get little bumps, but everytime it's less and less. And less often too. So it's only a matter of time.

#170 arabianlights

arabianlights

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:00 AM

has anyone applied the green tea directly on the face? the other night i came up with a mask where i broke open the green tea capsule, poured have into the palm of my hand, then mixed it with 2 pumps of some potent antioxidant cream with grapeseed extract, haulyronic acid and a bunch of other good stuff. i left it on for 20 mins then rinsed. i think im going to start doing this every week because my skin felt sooo soft afterwards! eusa_dance.gif
all this pain and hurt is relative.

#171 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(arabianlights @ Mar 31 2007, 12:00 PM) View Post
has anyone applied the green tea directly on the face? the other night i came up with a mask where i broke open the green tea capsule, poured have into the palm of my hand, then mixed it with 2 pumps of some potent antioxidant cream with grapeseed extract, haulyronic acid and a bunch of other good stuff. i left it on for 20 mins then rinsed. i think im going to start doing this every week because my skin felt sooo soft afterwards! eusa_dance.gif

You're right, it actually can be used as a topical

http://www.originbio...skin_cream.html

Because it has catechins in it =)

I feel like I'm really high when I take these pills sometimes, it feels so good, that rush I get.. especially now that I can take 2 at a time. Nice, it feels like I'm flying right now. Almost like a legal drug surprised.gif

#172 arabianlights

arabianlights

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 31 2007, 09:05 AM) View Post

I feel like I'm really high when I take these pills sometimes, it feels so good, that rush I get.. especially now that I can take 2 at a time. Nice, it feels like I'm flying right now. Almost like a legal drug surprised.gif

maybe its time to roll it up and smoke it?

#173 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(arabianlights @ Mar 31 2007, 12:27 PM) View Post

You mean like these guys

http://www.teachat.c...&...asc&start=0

hahaha

#174 i-have-a-question

i-have-a-question

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

On the power of suggestion from this thread, this afternoon I went out and bought a bottle (it also helps that they are on special offer at my local Health Food Shop smile.gif .)

They contain:

GTE (315mg it says that they are standardised to contain 15% polyphenols), Gelatine (presumably for the shell), Maltodextrin, Calcium Sulphate and some anti-caking agents.

The bottle says that I should only take one capsule a day. What are the advantages to taking more than one per day with acne? It expressly says "Do not exceed stated dose". When is the best time of day to take them? What should I avoid taking them with (I currently take a hair, skin and nails supplement and fish oils)? Any side effects with just taking one a day? Or should I aim to be taking 2 instead?

Thanks!

Helen

#175 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(i-have-a-question @ Mar 31 2007, 02:11 PM) View Post
On the power of suggestion from this thread, this afternoon I went out and bought a bottle (it also helps that they are on special offer at my local Health Food Shop smile.gif .)

They contain:

GTE (315mg it says that they are standardised to contain 15% polyphenols), Gelatine (presumably for the shell), Maltodextrin, Calcium Sulphate and some anti-caking agents.

The bottle says that I should only take one capsule a day. What are the advantages to taking more than one per day with acne? It expressly says "Do not exceed stated dose". When is the best time of day to take them? What should I avoid taking them with (I currently take a hair, skin and nails supplement and fish oils)? Any side effects with just taking one a day? Or should I aim to be taking 2 instead?

Thanks!

Helen

Which brand are these? I hope you haven't opened them yet. Let me know which brand these are and I can look it up for you and compare it to mine etc and answer in depth smile.gif

__

I found something else

People who are addicted to drinking green tea biggrin.gif

I love tea, but I need a teapot desperately. Green tea makes me feel so good, like I've just exercised or something and have a similar high. Right now though, I'm a big lazy and I'm not exercising or drinking much tea with the exception of some peppermint for a cold I've been nursing.

http://www.cinemable...ead.php?t=27079

#176 winniemazing

winniemazing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:58 PM

i drink 2-3 cups a day, then save the tea bags to wipe on my face like a mask (that sounds so gross. but it's not. i swear).

i think drinking it does have benefits, but i saw LOTS more results after i started using it topically
i recommend it though :]
green tea. is the best. topical treatment. EVER.

the end. :]

#177 arabianlights

arabianlights

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 31 2007, 10:07 AM) View Post
QUOTE(arabianlights @ Mar 31 2007, 12:27 PM) View Post

You mean like these guys

http://www.teachat.c...&...asc&start=0

hahaha

lol.gif
some people will smoke anything!!!! silly crackheads *puffs on an incense stick*

#178 clankfu

clankfu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:41 AM

Green tea extract is derived from leaves of camellia sinensis, the plant from which green, black and oolong teas are made. Green tea extract is associated with several health benefits, many supported by preliminary scientific research. These benefits include potential cancer-fighting properties, and a strong antioxidant effect that protects the body from the damaging effect of free radicals. The scientific community notes, however, that continued research is necessary.

Green tea has been used for medicinal purposes in India and China for nearly 5,000 years. It is made by lightly steaming leaves of the plant before allowing them to dry. This process retains active properties of the plant. Oolong tea is made by allowing the leaves to ferment slightly before drying, and black tea is made by allowing the leaves to ferment longer. Fermentation breaks down the active ingredients, making green tea or green tea extract the tea of choice.

Green tea extract, like many herbs, is standardized in the production phase to guarantee that a certain percentage of the active ingredients remain present in the final capsulized form. The active ingredients in green tea extract are polyphenols in the form of flavinoids like catechins and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Polyphenols, flavinoids, catechins and EGCG are powerful antioxidants that appear to interfere with and reduce the spread of certain types of cancer cells. The antioxidant activity of EGCG in green tea extract is purportedly up to 100 times more powerful than that of vitamin C or E.

Among populations in China and Japan where high amounts of green tea are consumed daily, cancer rates are statistically lower. There is now growing scientific research from reputable sources that show promising results as to how the active ingredients in green tea extract might be responsible for lowering rates of various kinds of cancer.

UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, an award-winning cancer research center, reported in their 2005 Cancer Discoveries newsletter that several published, peer-reviewed studies indicated that green tea extract “induces death in cancer cells” without affecting healthy cells, and prevents cancer cells from producing the “independent blood supply” required to spread to other parts of the body. This indicates that green tea extract might help to keep cancer contained, making it easier to treat.

Studies conducted by other respected universities and clinics have also showed promising results involving breast, liver, lung and colon cancer, among others. The Mayo Clinic conducted a small study using four patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Three of the four patients showed significant regression of CLL after taking green tea extract for a period of a few months. The fourth patient’s prognosis was improved, but not significantly. A larger trial is needed to see if these results can be repeated with consistency.

Green tea extract might also be beneficial in improving cardiovascular circulation by reducing LDL or “bad cholesterol,” suppressing appetite and improving oxidation of fat. However, these claims are not widely accepted by the scientific community because they are based on animal models, and only a few human studies.

When purchasing green tea extract, look for a product that is standardized to a minimum of 90% polyphenols and 55% EGCG. Using this standard, a 500-milligram (mg) capsule will contain 275mg EGCG, (500mg x 55% = 275mg). The suggested daily dose according to some sources is approximately two cups of green tea per day, or the equivalent of 200-400mg EGCG per day. Note that green tea contains natural caffeine. Processes that remove the caffeine may also diminish the potency of active ingredients. The quality of green tea extract will vary between brands, so read labels carefully and do not exceed the recommended dosage. Green tea extract should not be used in lieu of professional care, and is not recommended for pregnant or lactating women. See your doctor regularly and follow a healthy routine of diet and exercise for optimum health.

#179 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2007 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE(clankfu @ Apr 1 2007, 04:41 AM) View Post
Green tea extract is derived from leaves of camellia sinensis, the plant from which green, black and oolong teas are made. Green tea extract is associated with several health benefits, many supported by preliminary scientific research. These benefits include potential cancer-fighting properties, and a strong antioxidant effect that protects the body from the damaging effect of free radicals. The scientific community notes, however, that continued research is necessary.

Green tea has been used for medicinal purposes in India and China for nearly 5,000 years. It is made by lightly steaming leaves of the plant before allowing them to dry. This process retains active properties of the plant. Oolong tea is made by allowing the leaves to ferment slightly before drying, and black tea is made by allowing the leaves to ferment longer. Fermentation breaks down the active ingredients, making green tea or green tea extract the tea of choice.

Green tea extract, like many herbs, is standardized in the production phase to guarantee that a certain percentage of the active ingredients remain present in the final capsulized form. The active ingredients in green tea extract are polyphenols in the form of flavinoids like catechins and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Polyphenols, flavinoids, catechins and EGCG are powerful antioxidants that appear to interfere with and reduce the spread of certain types of cancer cells. The antioxidant activity of EGCG in green tea extract is purportedly up to 100 times more powerful than that of vitamin C or E.

Among populations in China and Japan where high amounts of green tea are consumed daily, cancer rates are statistically lower. There is now growing scientific research from reputable sources that show promising results as to how the active ingredients in green tea extract might be responsible for lowering rates of various kinds of cancer.

UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, an award-winning cancer research center, reported in their 2005 Cancer Discoveries newsletter that several published, peer-reviewed studies indicated that green tea extract “induces death in cancer cells” without affecting healthy cells, and prevents cancer cells from producing the “independent blood supply” required to spread to other parts of the body. This indicates that green tea extract might help to keep cancer contained, making it easier to treat.

Studies conducted by other respected universities and clinics have also showed promising results involving breast, liver, lung and colon cancer, among others. The Mayo Clinic conducted a small study using four patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Three of the four patients showed significant regression of CLL after taking green tea extract for a period of a few months. The fourth patient’s prognosis was improved, but not significantly. A larger trial is needed to see if these results can be repeated with consistency.

Green tea extract might also be beneficial in improving cardiovascular circulation by reducing LDL or “bad cholesterol,” suppressing appetite and improving oxidation of fat. However, these claims are not widely accepted by the scientific community because they are based on animal models, and only a few human studies.

When purchasing green tea extract, look for a product that is standardized to a minimum of 90% polyphenols and 55% EGCG. Using this standard, a 500-milligram (mg) capsule will contain 275mg EGCG, (500mg x 55% = 275mg). The suggested daily dose according to some sources is approximately two cups of green tea per day, or the equivalent of 200-400mg EGCG per day. Note that green tea contains natural caffeine. Processes that remove the caffeine may also diminish the potency of active ingredients. The quality of green tea extract will vary between brands, so read labels carefully and do not exceed the recommended dosage. Green tea extract should not be used in lieu of professional care, and is not recommended for pregnant or lactating women. See your doctor regularly and follow a healthy routine of diet and exercise for optimum health.

Great article, could you perhaps link me to the source as well?

#180 clankfu

clankfu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Apr 1 2007, 10:31 AM) View Post
Great article, could you perhaps link me to the source as well?

Here you go:

http://www.wisegeek....tea-extract.htm

Looks like this might be the superior product:

http://www.bodybuild...e/now/egcg.html

It's got 50% EGCg (200 mg) but it is a little more expensive.