#21 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:06 AM

Here's another webpage on green tea:

http://whfoods.com/g...dspice&dbid=146

It's much messier. It looks like the original site design was low res, and didn't intend for there to be so many health benefits for a single food.

Anyway, as with the other article, you can look at the references in the bottom, and type them into google and a pubmed or similar study will pop up.

#22 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:17 AM

It's such a coincidence. My mother just called, she said come downstairs there's this show on talking about epa/dha/green tea. It was a home shopping network listing about vitamins. I know it's a marketing point he has, but he was telling us how reservatrol (sp?), egcg (from green tea extract), co10, and epa/dha (from fish oil) was the most vital supplementation your body needs to normalize irregular functioning, yet optimize your body in many many ways.

So this may not be a "cure" but it sure will improve your entire body and keep you young, youthful, and all that lovely good stuff <3

haha =)

I feel really happy right now!

#23 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE(Legend @ Mar 11 2007, 12:06 AM) View Post
Here's another webpage on green tea:

http://whfoods.com/g...dspice&dbid=146

It's much messier. It looks like the original site design was low res, and didn't intend for there to be so many health benefits for a single food.

Anyway, as with the other article, you can look at the references in the bottom, and type them into google and a pubmed or similar study will pop up.

Great article!

I have a question, what's your food intake regimen like along with supplementation?

#24 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:42 AM

Ideally, I eat meat, dairy, fruits, veggies, and nuts. I drink water, green tea, white tea. However, that's usually only the case when I'm at my apartment. When I'm out working or with friends, I have less options.

A lot of people here probably disagree with my take on: Meat, dairy, and low carb. I essentially eat low carb in that I only get carbs from fruits and veggies. Occasionally I'll have a thin crust pizza, or tacos (I buy high oat fiber tortillas), and spaghetti (barilla plus). As for meat and dairy, science has demonstrated too many health benefits outside of acne for me to stop eating them, the biggest one being body composition.

My diet has some influence from John Berardi's nutrition articles.

#25 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 11 2007, 12:17 AM) View Post
It's such a coincidence. My mother just called, she said come downstairs there's this show on talking about epa/dha/green tea. It was a home shopping network listing about vitamins. I know it's a marketing point he has, but he was telling us how reservatrol (sp?), egcg (from green tea extract), co10, and epa/dha (from fish oil) was the most vital supplementation your body needs to normalize irregular functioning, yet optimize your body in many many ways.

So this may not be a "cure" but it sure will improve your entire body and keep you young, youthful, and all that lovely good stuff <3

haha =)

I feel really happy right now!

I'm surprised. Usually these people are scamming people with calcium pills or some sort of fiber pill that magically drops 50 lbs of fecal matter. But that sales guy speaks the truth

#26 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE(Legend @ Mar 11 2007, 12:42 AM) View Post
Ideally, I eat meat, dairy, fruits, veggies, and nuts. I drink water, green tea, white tea. However, that's usually only the case when I'm at my apartment. When I'm out working or with friends, I have less options.

A lot of people here probably disagree with my take on: Meat, dairy, and low carb. I essentially eat low carb in that I only get carbs from fruits and veggies. Occasionally I'll have a thin crust pizza, or tacos (I buy high oat fiber tortillas), and spaghetti (barilla plus). As for meat and dairy, science has demonstrated too many health benefits outside of acne for me to stop eating them, the biggest one being body composition.

My diet has some influence from John Berardi's nutrition articles.

That is superb, I actually like your diet, especially considering it's similar to mine except for meats, only because I don't have much access to them at home.

#27 arabianlights

arabianlights

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

QUOTE(arabianlights @ Mar 10 2007, 06:13 PM) View Post
how much do you have to take?

thanks! just bought a bottle yesterday....can't wait to try it!

#28 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(arabianlights @ Mar 11 2007, 08:11 AM) View Post
QUOTE(arabianlights @ Mar 10 2007, 06:13 PM) View Post
how much do you have to take?

thanks! just bought a bottle yesterday....can't wait to try it!

Also be sure to take it with the fish oil regimen.

#29 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

Nice, take a look at this:

In a 1997 study, researchers from the University of Kansas determined that EGCG is twice as powerful as resveratrol, which may explain why the rate of heart disease among Japanese men is quite low, even though approximately seventy-five percent are smokers.

http://greenteanatio...12/04/2128.aspx

EGCG is from green tea extract smile.gif

#30 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:01 AM

Another emphasis on taking the best of the japanese diet, and why it is best to taking it to higher levels:

http://www.accesseon...el_art.php?id=3

mentions fish oil, green tea, vegetables, and fruits.

#31 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:05 AM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 11 2007, 09:58 AM) View Post

In a 1997 study, researchers from the University of Kansas determined that EGCG is twice as powerful as resveratrol, which may explain why the rate of heart disease among Japanese men is quite low, even though approximately seventy-five percent are smokers.

Yeah, I remember reading that. I think the context of power here is HDL/LDL. But I don't think green tea up regulates SIRT1, which is why resveratrol is making fish/rats/other species live 50% longer. As in they age slower, not just live longer on a deathbed.

#32 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Legend @ Mar 11 2007, 12:05 PM) View Post

Yeah, I remember reading that. I think the context of power here is HDL/LDL. But I don't think green tea up regulates SIRT1, which is why resveratrol is making fish/rats/other species live 50% longer. As in they age slower, not just live longer on a deathbed.

Do you think resveratrol would be an additional, yet very important benefit in taking? I want to know more

#33 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 11 2007, 11:09 AM) View Post

Do you think resveratrol would be an additional, yet very important benefit in taking? I want to know more

For acne, I don't know. It is an anti-inflammatory, but that's not why I'm taking it. I'm taking it because we share the metabolic mechanism (SIRT1) that is making all the tested species live longer. While the human studies aren't complete, it's very likely it has the same impact on our body. These studies are being carried out by labs at Harvard and other places, not some infomercial.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Resveratrol

The wikipedia article actually has a lot of good references. But notice that for humans, the equivalent dosage to replicate the animal studies is about 0.5 grams a day. Look at how much resveratrol is in grapes/wine. Just a few mg. So that's why the French haven't lived to be 130. You've got to supplement. And unfortunately, the cheapest right now runs at about $40/month (Biotest) for 300mg/day. If anyone finds cheaper, please let me know.

But a possible concern for the ladies is that resveratrol is a phytoestrogen. The problem is on the female side this time because this phytoestrogen only mimics the circulatory health benefits of estrogen, and nothing else (like down regulating testosterone for instance). Otherwise it likes to occupy estrogen receptors.

#34 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE(Legend @ Mar 11 2007, 12:26 PM) View Post
QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 11 2007, 11:09 AM) View Post

For acne, I don't know. It is an anti-inflammatory, but that's not why I'm taking it. I'm taking it because we share the metabolic mechanism (SIRT1) that is making all the tested species live longer. While the human studies aren't complete, it's very likely it has the same impact on our body. These studies are being carried out by labs at Harvard and other places, not some infomercial.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Resveratrol

The wikipedia article actually has a lot of good references. But notice that for humans, the equivalent dosage to replicate the animal studies is about 0.5 grams a day. Look at how much resveratrol is in grapes/wine. Just a few mg. So that's why the French haven't lived to be 130. You've got to supplement. And unfortunately, the cheapest right now runs at about $40/month (Biotest) for 300mg/day. If anyone finds cheaper, please let me know.

But a possible concern for the ladies is that resveratrol is a phytoestrogen. The problem is on the female side this time because this phytoestrogen only mimics the circulatory health benefits of estrogen, and nothing else (like down regulating testosterone for instance). Otherwise it likes to occupy estrogen receptors.

A very good read. It's a shame that it's the equivalent of $40/month at the moment. If I do find anything cheaper I will let you know. Thanks for sharing that with me by the way, I'm going to read more into this, it's very fascinating.

#35 xenth

xenth

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

The green tea is still working for me so jay biggrin.gif

#36 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE(xenth @ Mar 11 2007, 01:00 PM) View Post

Haha, I remember when you first started taking the pills!

Tell me how what's happening with you so far?

I know you don't take fish oil, so it won't influence your results in any way. So do tell and share!

#37 xenth

xenth

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 11 2007, 12:02 PM) View Post
QUOTE(xenth @ Mar 11 2007, 01:00 PM) View Post

Haha, I remember when you first started taking the pills!

Tell me how what's happening with you so far?

I know you don't take fish oil, so it won't influence your results in any way. So do tell and share!

My face has never looked better eusa_angel.gif A couple of weeks and all red spots should be gone I reckon
And I do take fish oil actually eusa_shifty.gif For months now

Although last nights 2.5Liters of beer might have done some good on my skin eusa_shifty.gif

#38 VanillaIce13

VanillaIce13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

how many out there are taking green tea suppliments and how much each day? also what kind of results have you had

#39 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

I've seen posts on healthboards.com saying that green tea cleared their skin.

#40 calla lily

calla lily

Stressed is just desserts spelled backward.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me
  • Interests:Cooking, illustrating, reading sci fi/fantasy, writing, ice skating<br /><br />Music: Depeche Mode, Yanni, Michael Buble

Posted 11 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

I'm going to try this. Before I go out and buy this, is there any other supplement I should stock up on besides fish oil capsules?