Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Tea Extracts

178 posts in this topic

On the power of suggestion from this thread, this afternoon I went out and bought a bottle (it also helps that they are on special offer at my local Health Food Shop :) .)

They contain:

GTE (315mg it says that they are standardised to contain 15% polyphenols), Gelatine (presumably for the shell), Maltodextrin, Calcium Sulphate and some anti-caking agents.

The bottle says that I should only take one capsule a day. What are the advantages to taking more than one per day with acne? It expressly says "Do not exceed stated dose". When is the best time of day to take them? What should I avoid taking them with (I currently take a hair, skin and nails supplement and fish oils)? Any side effects with just taking one a day? Or should I aim to be taking 2 instead?

Thanks!

Helen

Gone out of the country July 5th to August 5th

Finally Clear! < Click link for regimen

People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

i drink 2-3 cups a day, then save the tea bags to wipe on my face like a mask (that sounds so gross. but it's not. i swear).

i think drinking it does have benefits, but i saw LOTS more results after i started using it topically

i recommend it though :]

green tea. is the best. topical treatment. EVER.

the end. :]

has anyone applied the green tea directly on the face? the other night i came up with a mask where i broke open the green tea capsule, poured have into the palm of my hand, then mixed it with 2 pumps of some potent antioxidant cream with grapeseed extract, haulyronic acid and a bunch of other good stuff. i left it on for 20 mins then rinsed. i think im going to start doing this every week because my skin felt sooo soft afterwards! :dance:

You're right, it actually can be used as a topical

http://www.originbiomed.com/pages/skin_cream.html

Because it has catechins in it =)

I feel like I'm really high when I take these pills sometimes, it feels so good, that rush I get.. especially now that I can take 2 at a time. Nice, it feels like I'm flying right now. Almost like a legal drug :surprised:

maybe its time to roll it up and smoke it?

all this pain and hurt is relative.

Green tea extract is derived from leaves of camellia sinensis, the plant from which green, black and oolong teas are made. Green tea extract is associated with several health benefits, many supported by preliminary scientific research. These benefits include potential cancer-fighting properties, and a strong antioxidant effect that protects the body from the damaging effect of free radicals. The scientific community notes, however, that continued research is necessary.

Green tea has been used for medicinal purposes in India and China for nearly 5,000 years. It is made by lightly steaming leaves of the plant before allowing them to dry. This process retains active properties of the plant. Oolong tea is made by allowing the leaves to ferment slightly before drying, and black tea is made by allowing the leaves to ferment longer. Fermentation breaks down the active ingredients, making green tea or green tea extract the tea of choice.

Green tea extract, like many herbs, is standardized in the production phase to guarantee that a certain percentage of the active ingredients remain present in the final capsulized form. The active ingredients in green tea extract are polyphenols in the form of flavinoids like catechins and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Polyphenols, flavinoids, catechins and EGCG are powerful antioxidants that appear to interfere with and reduce the spread of certain types of cancer cells. The antioxidant activity of EGCG in green tea extract is purportedly up to 100 times more powerful than that of vitamin C or E.

Among populations in China and Japan where high amounts of green tea are consumed daily, cancer rates are statistically lower. There is now growing scientific research from reputable sources that show promising results as to how the active ingredients in green tea extract might be responsible for lowering rates of various kinds of cancer.

UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, an award-winning cancer research center, reported in their 2005 Cancer Discoveries newsletter that several published, peer-reviewed studies indicated that green tea extract “induces death in cancer cells†without affecting healthy cells, and prevents cancer cells from producing the “independent blood supply†required to spread to other parts of the body. This indicates that green tea extract might help to keep cancer contained, making it easier to treat.

Studies conducted by other respected universities and clinics have also showed promising results involving breast, liver, lung and colon cancer, among others. The Mayo Clinic conducted a small study using four patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Three of the four patients showed significant regression of CLL after taking green tea extract for a period of a few months. The fourth patient’s prognosis was improved, but not significantly. A larger trial is needed to see if these results can be repeated with consistency.

Green tea extract might also be beneficial in improving cardiovascular circulation by reducing LDL or “bad cholesterol,†suppressing appetite and improving oxidation of fat. However, these claims are not widely accepted by the scientific community because they are based on animal models, and only a few human studies.

When purchasing green tea extract, look for a product that is standardized to a minimum of 90% polyphenols and 55% EGCG. Using this standard, a 500-milligram (mg) capsule will contain 275mg EGCG, (500mg x 55% = 275mg). The suggested daily dose according to some sources is approximately two cups of green tea per day, or the equivalent of 200-400mg EGCG per day. Note that green tea contains natural caffeine. Processes that remove the caffeine may also diminish the potency of active ingredients. The quality of green tea extract will vary between brands, so read labels carefully and do not exceed the recommended dosage. Green tea extract should not be used in lieu of professional care, and is not recommended for pregnant or lactating women. See your doctor regularly and follow a healthy routine of diet and exercise for optimum health.

Green tea extract is derived from leaves of camellia sinensis, the plant from which green, black and oolong teas are made. Green tea extract is associated with several health benefits, many supported by preliminary scientific research. These benefits include potential cancer-fighting properties, and a strong antioxidant effect that protects the body from the damaging effect of free radicals. The scientific community notes, however, that continued research is necessary.

Green tea has been used for medicinal purposes in India and China for nearly 5,000 years. It is made by lightly steaming leaves of the plant before allowing them to dry. This process retains active properties of the plant. Oolong tea is made by allowing the leaves to ferment slightly before drying, and black tea is made by allowing the leaves to ferment longer. Fermentation breaks down the active ingredients, making green tea or green tea extract the tea of choice.

Green tea extract, like many herbs, is standardized in the production phase to guarantee that a certain percentage of the active ingredients remain present in the final capsulized form. The active ingredients in green tea extract are polyphenols in the form of flavinoids like catechins and epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). Polyphenols, flavinoids, catechins and EGCG are powerful antioxidants that appear to interfere with and reduce the spread of certain types of cancer cells. The antioxidant activity of EGCG in green tea extract is purportedly up to 100 times more powerful than that of vitamin C or E.

Among populations in China and Japan where high amounts of green tea are consumed daily, cancer rates are statistically lower. There is now growing scientific research from reputable sources that show promising results as to how the active ingredients in green tea extract might be responsible for lowering rates of various kinds of cancer.

UCLA's Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, an award-winning cancer research center, reported in their 2005 Cancer Discoveries newsletter that several published, peer-reviewed studies indicated that green tea extract “induces death in cancer cells†without affecting healthy cells, and prevents cancer cells from producing the “independent blood supply†required to spread to other parts of the body. This indicates that green tea extract might help to keep cancer contained, making it easier to treat.

Studies conducted by other respected universities and clinics have also showed promising results involving breast, liver, lung and colon cancer, among others. The Mayo Clinic conducted a small study using four patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Three of the four patients showed significant regression of CLL after taking green tea extract for a period of a few months. The fourth patient’s prognosis was improved, but not significantly. A larger trial is needed to see if these results can be repeated with consistency.

Green tea extract might also be beneficial in improving cardiovascular circulation by reducing LDL or “bad cholesterol,†suppressing appetite and improving oxidation of fat. However, these claims are not widely accepted by the scientific community because they are based on animal models, and only a few human studies.

When purchasing green tea extract, look for a product that is standardized to a minimum of 90% polyphenols and 55% EGCG. Using this standard, a 500-milligram (mg) capsule will contain 275mg EGCG, (500mg x 55% = 275mg). The suggested daily dose according to some sources is approximately two cups of green tea per day, or the equivalent of 200-400mg EGCG per day. Note that green tea contains natural caffeine. Processes that remove the caffeine may also diminish the potency of active ingredients. The quality of green tea extract will vary between brands, so read labels carefully and do not exceed the recommended dosage. Green tea extract should not be used in lieu of professional care, and is not recommended for pregnant or lactating women. See your doctor regularly and follow a healthy routine of diet and exercise for optimum health.

Great article, could you perhaps link me to the source as well?

People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

well ya know man. i think i am starting to get some results here. Now im still producing oil but pretty darn sure its slowed up. Usually when i wash my face id say by about 5 hours after its due another wash. i can feel the slim. But last couple of days ive gone to about 9 hours before coming concious of it. Sounds like a placebo but when i run my fingers along my forehead its not as thick n gunky. Plus i do feel chilled out. But i cant be to accurate on that due to a crazy weekend ive had lol. anyway. another update in a bit.

Cheers xxndnromeoxx

well ya know man. i think i am starting to get some results here. Now im still producing oil but pretty darn sure its slowed up. Usually when i wash my face id say by about 5 hours after its due another wash. i can feel the slim. But last couple of days ive gone to about 9 hours before coming concious of it. Sounds like a placebo but when i run my fingers along my forehead its not as thick n gunky. Plus i do feel chilled out. But i cant be to accurate on that due to a crazy weekend ive had lol. anyway. another update in a bit.

Cheers xxndnromeoxx

Thanks stu! btw I love electronica, vocal trance especially :D

Oh, do you take fish oil? If you don't do so right away.

wow wounds like uve really nailed it here xxndnromeoxx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENTLY USING NO TOPICALS AT ALL! I will give life back to my skin...

daanzell's reGimen

Supplements

Vitamin A (5000iu) 1 in evening with dinner

Zinc (22mg) 1 in morning

Fish Oil (300mg = EPA + DHA) 2 per day (for now)

Evening Primrose Oil 2 per day

Herbal Tonic (made by my naturopath)

Saw Palmetto, Dandelion, Burdock Root, Yellow Dock, Nettle, Oats, Blue Flag, Chaste Tree, Licorice extract.

Wash face with water only.

Diet

No Dairy, No Sweets/Refined/Processed Foods, No Junk.

Only clean, whole foods. Based around wholegrains, fruit/veg, nuts/seeds, lean meats.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the power of suggestion from this thread, this afternoon I went out and bought a bottle (it also helps that they are on special offer at my local Health Food Shop :) .)

They contain:

GTE (315mg it says that they are standardised to contain 15% polyphenols), Gelatine (presumably for the shell), Maltodextrin, Calcium Sulphate and some anti-caking agents.

The bottle says that I should only take one capsule a day. What are the advantages to taking more than one per day with acne? It expressly says "Do not exceed stated dose". When is the best time of day to take them? What should I avoid taking them with (I currently take a hair, skin and nails supplement and fish oils)? Any side effects with just taking one a day? Or should I aim to be taking 2 instead?

Thanks!

Helen

Which brand are these? I hope you haven't opened them yet. Let me know which brand these are and I can look it up for you and compare it to mine etc and answer in depth :)

__

I found something else

People who are addicted to drinking green tea :D

I love tea, but I need a teapot desperately. Green tea makes me feel so good, like I've just exercised or something and have a similar high. Right now though, I'm a big lazy and I'm not exercising or drinking much tea with the exception of some peppermint for a cold I've been nursing.

http://www.cinemablend.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27079

They are the "Good 'N Natural" brand that you can buy in Holland and Barrett shops in the UK. The label can be found on the Holland and Barrett website:

http://tinyurl.com/yp6l9m

Thanks

They contain:

Thanks!

Helen

Which brand are these? I hope you haven't opened them yet. Let me know which brand these are and I can look it up for you and compare it to mine etc and answer in depth :)

__

I found something else

People who are addicted to drinking green tea :D

I love tea, but I need a teapot desperately. Green tea makes me feel so good, like I've just exercised or something and have a similar high. Right now though, I'm a big lazy and I'm not exercising or drinking much tea with the exception of some peppermint for a cold I've been nursing.

http://www.cinemablend.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27079

They are the "Good 'N Natural" brand that you can buy in Holland and Barrett shops in the UK. The label can be found on the Holland and Barrett website:

http://tinyurl.com/yp6l9m

Thanks

That brand looks great, I personally take about 4 a day now, and focus more on the fish oil, but take 3 for sure. I would spread it through the day.

Hi All,

I'm jumping onboard the Green Tea Extract train to clearer skin and overall improved health. Already taking fish oils. I have read an article about how a topical 3% Green Tea Extract Cream was as effective as 4% BP, but without the side effects and possible long term damage.

http://www.acnetreatment.vg/green_tea_and_acne.html

Anyone know where to get this cream or a cleanser with 3% Green Tea Extract???

Daz

Hi All,

I'm jumping onboard the Green Tea Extract train to clearer skin and overall improved health. Already taking fish oils. I have read an article about how a topical 3% Green Tea Extract Cream was as effective as 4% BP, but without the side effects and possible long term damage.

http://www.acnetreatment.vg/green_tea_and_acne.html

Anyone know where to get this cream or a cleanser with 3% Green Tea Extract???

Daz

Hey Daz, I'm not knowledgable on where to get the topical for green tea, but it's worth a shot if it works.

By the way, how much fish oil are you on? It's worth noting that I find the best results at 3 grams of omega 3 (10 pills) per day. Split it up 3 to 4 times a day, with the heaviest use in the morning area, and you should see a huge difference too. Couple it with a green tea pill at each period (so 3 to 4).

When I spoke at the National Psoriasis Association, I presented compelling data on the use of fish oil with skin diseases-most notably psoriasis. Many of the participants including patients and doctors were familiar with this as well as the use of antioxidant supplements. Acne is not a tetracycline deficiency. And long term treatment with this powerful antibiotic seems inappropriate at best. Some of the newer high dose synthetic vitamin A drugs have some good data for acne-but they are teratogenic and we do not know the long term effects on reproduction. Having used fish oil and high-dose antioxidants with success, I would suggest first "doing no harm" to a patient and trying this first.

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/280,5208.html

omega 3 and acne :)

It relates to gte, because green tea is a great antioxidant so coupled together, it's almost sweet unison.

xxndnromeoxx,

Currently taking 8 fish (salmon) oil a day. I was told to keep them in the fridge...True/false? Only find one Green Tea Extract pill here in Australia http://www.fusionhealth.com.au/ecommerce.p...ory=Green%20Tea Popping 3 day to start and when I arrive in England in a week will up to 4. Found a Green Tea Toner which I'll try http://www.ultraceuticals.com/pop_product_...Y&pl_id=108

Daz

xxndnromeoxx,

Currently taking 8 fish (salmon) oil a day. I was told to keep them in the fridge...True/false? Only find one Green Tea Extract pill here in Australia http://www.fusionhealth.com.au/ecommerce.p...ory=Green%20Tea Popping 3 day to start and when I arrive in England in a week will up to 4. Found a Green Tea Toner which I'll try http://www.ultraceuticals.com/pop_product_...Y&pl_id=108

Daz

They are a bit expensive, is there any way to get the 'NOW' brand? Because they cost way too much for only 30 pills.

Keeping in the fridge would be good, it's alright if it's room temperature too, but either way it is fine :). The pills have a coating to generally help with that, I believe.

Take 2 more, and keep it at 10 with the oil

If you can get another brand of green tea available to you, please do.

Here's the brand

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/gtea.htm

I say this so we can keep all our results very similar and well noted. Because in case we all use different brands there may be inconsistencies with the overall results. I hope that makes sense. Plus I have no idea about the polyphenol content in there either.

When I get to England I'll search for NOW.

The one I have is Green Tea 10g

Equiv to Catechins 428mg

Epigallocatechin-Gallate (EGCG) 257mg

Daz

I couldn't help but want to try this green tea thing after hearing so many good things about it. So i just picked up some green tea extract (300 mg Spring Valley brand) and i'm combining it with the fish oil pills (1000mg Daily Source brand). I'll keep you guys posted! :surprised:

I have also jumped on the Bandwagon of taking Green Tea Extracts and Fish Oil and along with a healthy diet it is doing wonders for my skin it has not looked this good in 8 years i'm now 21 and feel like i have got my life back.

Morning:

Wash face with water only

My diet each day is very healthy , No or very little Sugar or Dairy

Lots of Omega 3 Fish Oil

Multivitamin

Evening:

Wash with water only again

Change pillow cases every other day

Currently have everything nearly under control but still have some scarring from my time on Accutane

How much Caffeine does green tea have? I'm worried caffeine will cause me problems.

Mary Jane invades my brain now I can't complain

I'm sayin what else is there to do besides relax

Let the problems in your mind become ancient artifacts

Perhaps these raps can help you alleviate

The things that's got you trippin you watch me demonstrate

First you ignore the nonsense and clear your conscience

Let your pen touch the paper write verbs and consonants

As the words become a sentence you start to feelin different

The stress is out your mind you feel like the weight was lifted Terrific

I'm glad we had this time to discuss

I'm outro call me if you want to blaze one up

I have also jumped on the Bandwagon of taking Green Tea Extracts and Fish Oil and along with a healthy diet it is doing wonders for my skin it has not looked this good in 8 years i'm now 21 and feel like i have got my life back.

I am really happy to hear that!!

Just remember to up it to 3 grams of omega 3 daily ( 10 pills at 300 mg of omega 3 in each pill), and don't cut yourself short :) The benefits at that level are amazing. How many green tea extracts are you taking? If it's less than 4, up it one more.

How much Caffeine does green tea have? I'm worried caffeine will cause me problems.

What process does NOW use to extract caffeine from Decaffeinated Green Tea?

We use a clean carbon dioxide extraction method that is safe and effective. Some companies utilize a chemical extraction process that uses ethylene acetate, but this process may leave a residue and is not as safe as carbon dioxide extraction.

Serving Size: 1 Capsule

Free of: yeast, wheat, corn, soy, milk, sugar, salt, preservatives, colors.

Ingredients: Magnesium Stearate.

Suggested Use: As an herbal dietary supplement, take one capsule, 1 to 2 times daily.

Warnings: None

Disclaimers: None

http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?action=i...mp;item_id=3173

The best part about it is that there is no caffeine in it :) Since it's just the extract, you don't have to worry about it. (As far as I've known and read). But if it does, it probably isn't much since I sleep fine and all that jazz.

I haven't been getting all my Green Tea Extract and Omega 3 fish oil pills in throughout the day --- usually forgetting to take them is my HUGE downfall and drawback from seeing results.

Please give me when and with what you take your Fish Oil pills and Green Tea Extract Pills. Do you have to take the fish oil pills with a fat? I've been taking with Milk, but then I don't want to breakout from the dairy intake and also then I was told to take the Green Tea Extract at a different time than the Fish oil capsules???? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Taking them at different times would mean me having to remember to take pills 6 times a day ---- whew I really don't think that is going to happen.

I take the NOW Green Tea Extract and then the fish oil capsules I take contain 630 mg of omega 3 fish oil, so I guess I only need to take between 5 and 6 of them to make up for the 10 pills you take at 300 mg. of omega 3 fish oil?

When I get to England I'll search for NOW.

The one I have is Green Tea 10g

Equiv to Catechins 428mg

Epigallocatechin-Gallate (EGCG) 257mg

Daz

I'm not sure if you can get these NOW tablets in England. But you can get Good N' Natural at all Holland and Barrett shops. I'm not sure how well you know England (sorry if I'm being patronising) but there's a Holland and Barrett in most largish towns and all cities in England.

http://tinyurl.com/2jeaep

This is what you'll be looking for in the shop.

Hope this helps,

Helen

That looks like them, but it's difficult to say because they don't give an ingredients list on the site. And they are expensive. Try Holland and Barrett's instead.

http://tinyurl.com/2jeaep

They are on special offer at the moment. You can order online or buy in their shops.

Hope this helps.

Helen