This topic is archived.
379 replies to this topic

#1 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

April 28 update: If you decide you want to use green tea and fish oil for results strictly for acne, it may be best to do either one or the other as they may interfere with each other. Here is my reasoning:
http://www.acne.org/...p...t&p=1820686

Everything listed in terms of how green tea works is true in this thread (to the best of my knowledge) based upon the links found.
---
Original Thread:
---
Get the 'NOW' brand! I cannot account for the results, or the lack of, you get with any other brand, including safety concerns.

As far as brand, I decided to order some, and I decided on these:

http://www.bodybuild...re/now/gtea.htm

The NOW brand, which has 400 mg of green tea extact in each capsule, which is higher than average, and it's only $6, with two day shipping. The extraction process is not chemical based, which means it's safe, unlike other brands which you cannot be sure of!

Other than that, it benefits everything. So if you are a pregnant, avoid it. But if you are not, you will be fine smile.gif

I know there is a thread on green tea (the actual tea and drinking it), but this is specifically for green tea extract pills. Please post any results you've seen from these pills or anything you would like to contribute. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last week, Mad I.D. made a thread in the severe acne forum about how he was cured after 6 years of fighting acne. You can take a look at it here.

http://www.acne.org/...howtopic=142727

I thought it was really amazing, so I decided to look into it. I found that it has really beneficial effects. Take a look at these articles

http://health.learni...tea-extract.htm

Also this one

http://www.bodybuild...tea-extract.htm

Also take a look at these:

EGCG has been found to downregulate the expression of the androgen receptor in human prostate cancer cells in culture, consequently inhibiting androgen action. This and its inhibition of 5-alpha reductase may account for EGCG's antiproliferative effect on cultured human prostate cancer cells.

http://www.pdrhealth.../gre_0319.shtml

This means less oil from less androgen effects!

Inhibiting 5-alpha reductase and DHT. Other studies of green tea have shown that EGCG and epicatechin-3 gallate, known as ECG, are effective in inhibiting the enzyme 5-alpha reductase type 1, thus reducing the synthesis of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a potent form of testosterone

http://www.lef.org/m...reen_tea_01.htm

EGCG is basically the main component found in green tea extracts.

The bolded parts (in a nut shell) = less hormone activity (normal regulation) since we have irregular hormone levels, and less DHT (which can cause excess oil production).

Green tea extract plays a part in this because...

Excess sebum is another key factor in the development of acne vulgaris. Sebum production and excretion are regulated by a number of different hormones and mediators. Androgen hormones, in particular, promote sebum production and release.

http://www.emedicine...ne-vulgaris.htm

So as you can see, androgens (such as testosterone levels) increase sebum a LOT. So inhibiting androgen effects = no more excess sebum.

The articles go on and on, you can google them as well, but as it comes to acne, there are a few very important things I noticed:

1) "Green tea leaf extract contain EGCG, a powerful antioxidant 200 times more potent than Vitamin E"

2) "Green tea extact helps decrease hormone activity and is an effective treatment for acne"

3) "Green tea leaf is an anti bacterial, helps lower cholesterol, reduces inflammation, and lowers blood pressure."

4) Green Tea has been well documented for its therapeutic effects, and it is known to contain powerful antioxidants called polyphenols which scavenge free radicals. Other components of Green Tea include caretenoids which are another group of natural antioxidants. Recently there has been some suggestion that Green Tea has an anti-androgenic effect on the body similar to that of Saw Palmetto. There are also Shampoos available that contain Green Tea Extract because of its beneficial effects on hair and skin.
- http://www.redbendad.../28hairloss.htm

The polyphenols in Green Tea are powerful anti-oxidants which scavenge for free radicals. And in some studies the Green Tea extract has been shown to inhibit male hormones which are considered to be the underlying cause of androgenic alopecia.

So all in all as it relates to skin:

Hormones called androgens stimulate increased oil production. Green Tea has an anti-androgen effect, like Saw Palmetto, that prevents this from happening to a certain extent. So this is equal to less oil. It decreases hormone activity, so it helps to normalize your hormone level. This means that essentially there is less oil production. It reduces inflammation, is a powerful and potent anti-oxidant, and is an anti-bacterial. So it helps in preveting acne, and also helping the healing time of it.

It does many important things like alleviate arthritis (link), prevent the growth of cancer cells (link), helps leukemia (link)etc, but the parts above are what relate to acne directly.

Also, take a look at this fact:

In a 1997 study, researchers from the University of Kansas determined that EGCG is twice as powerful as resveratrol, which may explain why the rate of heart disease among Japanese men is quite low, even though approximately seventy-five percent are smokers.

http://greenteanatio...12/04/2128.aspx

For those of you who do not know, EGCG is the primary part about green tea extract that we take it for. Reservatrol is another derivative from red wine which I looked into, in comparison for the anti-oxidation effects.

It's true, the Japanese, who are very high smokers, have a low rate in lung cancer, and heart disease! Because of 1) Fish Oil 2) Green Tea.

The amazing thing is, with these dosages, we get 20x the benefits from the extract pills, rather than drinking just two cups a day.

In comparison to the four essential outside sources of pills: CoQ10 (co enzyme Q10), Reservatrol (derivative of red wine), EGCG (derivative of green tea extract), and Fish oil... the last two are the most important, which includes green tea extract!

Dosages:

Scientific studies show that middle-aged men and women in Japan who drink 2 or more cups of green tea a day almost always have normal cholesterol.

2 cups a day, of regular green tea is for general health. But they say each capsule of green tea extract capsule has 4 to 10 cups worth! Without caffeine of course. It's 4 to 10 because it depends on the source you read it from. And also the cup size etc.

Two capsules of green tea extract a day can provide all the benefits of 20 cups of green tea-all you need to support even difficult health conditions.

Green tea is safe and effective. Take 1 to 3 capsules of green tea extract every day. It is better to take green tea supplements in the morning or afternoon rather than at night. In the unlikely event of stomach upset, take with food.

I am now (as of the 21st of march) taking 3 a day. Split into 5 hour periods. Any more is too much, way too much. So be careful, take 2 a day at first, if you can handle it, take 3, just be sure it's not too much. It's a powerful herb at these levels. Each pill has 400 mg for me. So it's 1.2 grams per day.

As of March 22nd, I find out that I can handle 1 pill, every 3 to 4 hours. getting in at least 4 to 5 a day without side effects. I think what happened yesterday was that I felt disrupted since the day before, I took 2 doses of 2 instead of spreading it out. So now it's better and normal. I decided to do this also since taking 3 a day won't do as much as 4 has done for my oil production.

March 28th: I now can handle 6 pills... taken twice each time. I slowly increased the dosage and I feel fine now doing so.

Here are my results so far.

http://www.acne.org/...p...t&p=1771093

Where to get it:

As far as brand, I decided to order some, and I decided on these:

http://www.bodybuild...re/now/gtea.htm

The NOW brand, which has 400 mg of green tea extact in each capsule, which is higher than average, and it's only $6, with two day shipping. The extraction process is not chemical based, which means it's safe, unlike other brands which you cannot be sure of!

If there any other brands feel free to post them and what not.

Caution:

Some say not to take it with dairy, as it postpones, or voids the effects. Studies on page 6 of this thread show it does not. But recent studies say they do. I personally have felt no difference either way, it feels like it works the same. (yea, you WILL be able to feel it's working, much like taking medicine, or something else, it's a distinct effect on the body and mind.) Just be careful not to take 2 pills at a time, it's potent. And be sure you can handle 2 a day before taking 3.

Also:

I would advise to take it with the fish oil supplement regimen to see the best results. That is what I am currently doing. It may be the ultimate prevention. Check that thread out as well, because most of my results came from there, and now I am adding this into my regimen. Hopefully this will put a full stop to it.
Gone out of the country July 5th to August 5th

Finally Clear! < Click link for regimen
People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

#2 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

Here's a great article that lists every study to back up what it says. You can find the studies on google.

I learned some new stuff from it:

http://www.ironmagaz...m/review50.html

Health benefits:
1. Green tea phytonutrients work together. EGCG alone is not as effective.
2. L-theanine along with caffeine is why green tea gives you an alert relaxation, whereas coffee makes you alert and nervous.
3. The little caffeine within green tea is partly responsible for green tea's anti-mutagenic effect.
4. Green tea inhibits lipogenesis, ie the creation of body fat.
5. Green tea is strongly thermogenic. Ie great for body composition (fat loss, maintain muscle). The thermogenic effects are well beyond what the caffeine can do.
6. The thermogenic effect does not increase heart rate.
7. Anti cancer stuff. Too lazy to read.
8. EGCG is a very powerful antioxidant. If the oxidation theory of aging is true, green tea and resveratrol together are a potent life extension tool.
9. Green tea increases HDL and decreases LDL.

Neutral/Health concerns
1. The anti-DHT studies are not conclusive. Some say that it decreases it. Some say that it increases androgens. Another says that green tea decreases DHT when combined with soy (more than soy alone), but without soy it increases it.
2. May inhibit dietary fat digestion, and some minerals slightly.

#3 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

^ Great article!

I like this part as well

Green tea has become well known for its antioxidant, antimutagenic and anticarcinogenic effects. Other possible benefits include treatment of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, dermatological problems, obesity, and oral health problems

People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

#4 jason2323

jason2323

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

I am gonna buy some tomorrow and I will let you know about the results...

It seems to have so many benefits with very little, to no side effects. It seems like no brainer to me...

#5 arabianlights

arabianlights

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

how much do you have to take?
all this pain and hurt is relative.

#6 SoCold

SoCold

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, food and it's affects on the body

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

Congratulations! Your order has been successfully placed. We will rush to fill your order as quickly as possible!

An order notification has been sent to your e-mail address.
Your order will be processed right away and you will receive a shipping confirmation by email.
THANK YOU for choosing Bodybuilding.com.

When it said quantity, I changed it to "2", but it kept automatically changing it to 1 whistling.gif(

Oh well. How long did delivery take for you xxndnromeoxx? (And thank's for the private message earlier)

Thanks for all the answers, I guess breathing is more important than acne............!

#7 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE(arabianlights @ Mar 10 2007, 08:13 PM) View Post
how much do you have to take?

I just take 2 pills a day smile.gif One morning, and afternoon.

#8 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(SoCold @ Mar 10 2007, 08:38 PM) View Post
Congratulations! Your order has been successfully placed. We will rush to fill your order as quickly as possible!

Your order will be processed right away and you will receive a shipping confirmation by email.

When it said quantity, I changed it to "2", but it kept automatically changing it to 1 whistling.gif(

Oh well. How long did delivery take for you xxndnromeoxx? (And thank's for the private message earlier)

That's strange, I tried it just now. I entered two and pushed update cart =)

It took 2 days exactly for me. They generally take 2 to 3 days, as said. So since tomorrow is sunday which they don't ship, it may be there by tuesday

#9 SoCold

SoCold

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, food and it's affects on the body

Posted 10 March 2007 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 10 2007, 09:46 PM) View Post

It took 2 days exactly for me. They generally take 2 to 3 days, as said. So since tomorrow is sunday which they don't ship, it may be there by tuesday

Ok cool, thanks smile.gif

So how are taking 2 pills going? Is that what you reccomend?

Thanks for all the answers, I guess breathing is more important than acne............!

#10 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE(SoCold @ Mar 10 2007, 08:56 PM) View Post
QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 10 2007, 09:46 PM) View Post

Ok cool, thanks smile.gif

So how are taking 2 pills going? Is that what you reccomend?

Correct, it is what is recommended.

This is my diet. I usually take it with an apple, it seems to work pretty well, it doesn't make stomach grumble either smile.gif But taken without food I can feel it grumble.

So far it's a bit too soon to tell, but I have great faith, as I've seen with others who have tried it so far.

I hope these two really work well synergetically, it would be very nice

#11 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:14 PM

i think I'm going to go buy some from gnc tomorrow not only to hopefully maintain the results i got from accutane, but also because they seem like they are really good for you anyway.

#12 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE(Jordan19 @ Mar 10 2007, 09:14 PM) View Post
i think I'm going to go buy some from gnc tomorrow not only to hopefully maintain the results i got from accutane, but also because they seem like they are really good for you anyway.

Very true, I analyzed the japanese and derived this and the fish oil out of interest as well. They both rely heavily on raw fish, and green tea. It is no wonder they live so long and stay so healthy!

I really hope accutane's benefits continue on forever and that eventually you won't have to go on it like some people do. I don't understand one thing, how come some people have to go on it multiple times, and some people get cured by going on it once?

#13 xtr3m

xtr3m

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

So you're saying that this stuff is better than the veggie pills/powder?

It's always possible to find a nice looking list of health benefits practically for anything that's edible.

#14 JR86

JR86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 10 2007, 10:20 PM) View Post

Very true, I analyzed the japanese and derived this and the fish oil out of interest as well. They both rely heavily on raw fish, and green tea. It is no wonder they live so long and stay so healthy!

I really hope accutane's benefits continue on forever and that eventually you won't have to go on it like some people do. I don't understand one thing, how come some people have to go on it multiple times, and some people get cured by going on it once?

i don't know, i guess not everyones body reacts the same way to it. it isn't a "sure cure", some people need more than one course. but for a little more than half the people who take it once their acne is cured for good. i hope my acne doesn't come back but if it does i'll go back on accutane. there is a much higher permanent cure rate for people who go on it a second time. of the three people i know who have taken accutane (years ago) the acne hasn't come back for 2 of them. the other one got acne again but it is much more mild than it was before accutane.

#15 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(xtr3m @ Mar 10 2007, 09:28 PM) View Post

It's always possible to find a nice looking list of health benefits practically for anything that's edible.

Nope, they are not comparable. Veggie pills are the equivalent of multivitams for the nutrients involved in vegetables. They are simply a supplement to substitute or supplement your vegetable intake to do what vegetables usually do. I take it and v8 because I don't make salads daily.

Correct, it is always easy to find a nice list. But from the science involved and the direct content of what it is, it's seems that it has been proven.

But all of it is just talk, we'll see what results come from it. If nothing, I will move on, much like I have done with many other systems here.

But so far, so good. I was inspired by the guy who had impressive results as well as what I found from articles Like so:

http://www.webmd.com...xtract-arteries

Hopefully it's actually useful in practical situations, but I do know that the benefits are there, if not for acne, then as it's main function: as a great anti-oxidant for general health etc.

eusa_dance.gif

If all I get out of this is better health, I won't say I'll regret it either. But who knows, we'll let time tell.

#16 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(Jordan19 @ Mar 10 2007, 09:36 PM) View Post
QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Mar 10 2007, 10:20 PM) View Post

i don't know, i guess not everyones body reacts the same way to it. it isn't a "sure cure", some people need more than one course. but for a little more than half the people who take it once their acne is cured for good. i hope my acne doesn't come back but if it does i'll go back on accutane. there is a much higher permanent cure rate for people who go on it a second time. of the three people i know who have taken accutane (years ago) the acne hasn't come back for 2 of them. the other one got acne again but it is much more mild than it was before accutane.

That seems very promising. I am happy for your friends who have found success with it, must be an amazing feeling. I am sure you will stay clear as well. It's interesting how it usually takes the second does and how it doesn't come back. Wow, science has really come such a long way. Hopefully soon, they may make an over the counter type safer version where anyone can try it, hopefully without all the side effects.

#17 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

can anybody admit that solely these pills CURED their acne?

#18 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(Dolfan @ Mar 10 2007, 11:27 PM) View Post
can anybody admit that solely these pills CURED their acne?

No, nothing is the sole cure for acne, it is the combination of multiple areas such as diet, water, supplemental intake, and proper facial care that leads to a "cure". This is just a part of the whole. But something worth taking, in my opinion, in combination with fish oil. Read why, it's pretty straight forward to note the benefits if you wish to know what the potential is. smile.gif

Also, take a look:

http://www.google.co...lient=firefox-a

You may find some things of interest in relation to acne, in addition to what is stated above.

Essentially, improving and regulating the functioning of the human body is what leads to a "cure"

#19 JR86

JR86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 March 2007 - 11:34 PM

even if they don't "cure" acne they are worth a try, if nothing else they are cheap and full of antioxidants.

#20 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE(xtr3m @ Mar 10 2007, 09:28 PM) View Post

Besides resveratrol, I can't think of a single substance with so many health benefits. DHA/EPA? Spinach?