Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Tea Extracts

178 posts in this topic

April 28 update: If you decide you want to use green tea and fish oil for results strictly for acne, it may be best to do either one or the other as they may interfere with each other. Here is my reasoning:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=1820686

Everything listed in terms of how green tea works is true in this thread (to the best of my knowledge) based upon the links found.

---

Original Thread:

---

Get the 'NOW' brand! I cannot account for the results, or the lack of, you get with any other brand, including safety concerns.

As far as brand, I decided to order some, and I decided on these:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/gtea.htm

The NOW brand, which has 400 mg of green tea extact in each capsule, which is higher than average, and it's only $6, with two day shipping. The extraction process is not chemical based, which means it's safe, unlike other brands which you cannot be sure of!

Gone out of the country July 5th to August 5th

Finally Clear! < Click link for regimen

People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

Here's a great article that lists every study to back up what it says. You can find the studies on google.

I learned some new stuff from it:

http://www.ironmagazine.com/review50.html

Health benefits:

1. Green tea phytonutrients work together. EGCG alone is not as effective.

2. L-theanine along with caffeine is why green tea gives you an alert relaxation, whereas coffee makes you alert and nervous.

3. The little caffeine within green tea is partly responsible for green tea's anti-mutagenic effect.

4. Green tea inhibits lipogenesis, ie the creation of body fat.

5. Green tea is strongly thermogenic. Ie great for body composition (fat loss, maintain muscle). The thermogenic effects are well beyond what the caffeine can do.

6. The thermogenic effect does not increase heart rate.

7. Anti cancer stuff. Too lazy to read.

8. EGCG is a very powerful antioxidant. If the oxidation theory of aging is true, green tea and resveratrol together are a potent life extension tool.

9. Green tea increases HDL and decreases LDL.

Neutral/Health concerns

1. The anti-DHT studies are not conclusive. Some say that it decreases it. Some say that it increases androgens. Another says that green tea decreases DHT when combined with soy (more than soy alone), but without soy it increases it.

2. May inhibit dietary fat digestion, and some minerals slightly.

^ Great article!

I like this part as well

Green tea has become well known for its antioxidant, antimutagenic and anticarcinogenic effects. Other possible benefits include treatment of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, dermatological problems, obesity, and oral health problems

People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

I am gonna buy some tomorrow and I will let you know about the results...

It seems to have so many benefits with very little, to no side effects. It seems like no brainer to me...

1 person likes this

how much do you have to take?

all this pain and hurt is relative.

Congratulations! Your order has been successfully placed. We will rush to fill your order as quickly as possible!

An order notification has been sent to your e-mail address.

Your order will be processed right away and you will receive a shipping confirmation by email.

THANK YOU for choosing Bodybuilding.com.

Thanks for all the answers, I guess breathing is more important than acne............!

how much do you have to take?

Congratulations! Your order has been successfully placed. We will rush to fill your order as quickly as possible!

Your order will be processed right away and you will receive a shipping confirmation by email.

When it said quantity, I changed it to "2", but it kept automatically changing it to 1 :-(

Oh well. How long did delivery take for you xxndnromeoxx? (And thank's for the private message earlier)

When it said quantity, I changed it to "2", but it kept automatically changing it to 1 :-(

Oh well. How long did delivery take for you xxndnromeoxx? (And thank's for the private message earlier)

Thanks for all the answers, I guess breathing is more important than acne............!

That's strange, I tried it just now. I entered two and pushed update cart =)

It took 2 days exactly for me. They generally take 2 to 3 days, as said. So since tomorrow is sunday which they don't ship, it may be there by tuesday

i think I'm going to go buy some from gnc tomorrow not only to hopefully maintain the results i got from accutane, but also because they seem like they are really good for you anyway.

i think I'm going to go buy some from gnc tomorrow not only to hopefully maintain the results i got from accutane, but also because they seem like they are really good for you anyway.

So you're saying that this stuff is better than the veggie pills/powder?

It's always possible to find a nice looking list of health benefits practically for anything that's edible.

Very true, I analyzed the japanese and derived this and the fish oil out of interest as well. They both rely heavily on raw fish, and green tea. It is no wonder they live so long and stay so healthy!

I really hope accutane's benefits continue on forever and that eventually you won't have to go on it like some people do. I don't understand one thing, how come some people have to go on it multiple times, and some people get cured by going on it once?

It's always possible to find a nice looking list of health benefits practically for anything that's edible.

Very true, I analyzed the japanese and derived this and the fish oil out of interest as well. They both rely heavily on raw fish, and green tea. It is no wonder they live so long and stay so healthy!

I really hope accutane's benefits continue on forever and that eventually you won't have to go on it like some people do. I don't understand one thing, how come some people have to go on it multiple times, and some people get cured by going on it once?

can anybody admit that solely these pills CURED their acne?

even if they don't "cure" acne they are worth a try, if nothing else they are cheap and full of antioxidants.

Here's another webpage on green tea:

http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=146

It's much messier. It looks like the original site design was low res, and didn't intend for there to be so many health benefits for a single food.

Anyway, as with the other article, you can look at the references in the bottom, and type them into google and a pubmed or similar study will pop up.

It's such a coincidence. My mother just called, she said come downstairs there's this show on talking about epa/dha/green tea. It was a home shopping network listing about vitamins. I know it's a marketing point he has, but he was telling us how reservatrol (sp?), egcg (from green tea extract), co10, and epa/dha (from fish oil) was the most vital supplementation your body needs to normalize irregular functioning, yet optimize your body in many many ways.

So this may not be a "cure" but it sure will improve your entire body and keep you young, youthful, and all that lovely good stuff <3

haha =)

I feel really happy right now!

Here's another webpage on green tea:

http://whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=146

It's much messier. It looks like the original site design was low res, and didn't intend for there to be so many health benefits for a single food.

Anyway, as with the other article, you can look at the references in the bottom, and type them into google and a pubmed or similar study will pop up.

Ideally, I eat meat, dairy, fruits, veggies, and nuts. I drink water, green tea, white tea. However, that's usually only the case when I'm at my apartment. When I'm out working or with friends, I have less options.

A lot of people here probably disagree with my take on: Meat, dairy, and low carb. I essentially eat low carb in that I only get carbs from fruits and veggies. Occasionally I'll have a thin crust pizza, or tacos (I buy high oat fiber tortillas), and spaghetti (barilla plus). As for meat and dairy, science has demonstrated too many health benefits outside of acne for me to stop eating them, the biggest one being body composition.

My diet has some influence from John Berardi's nutrition articles.

It's such a coincidence. My mother just called, she said come downstairs there's this show on talking about epa/dha/green tea. It was a home shopping network listing about vitamins. I know it's a marketing point he has, but he was telling us how reservatrol (sp?), egcg (from green tea extract), co10, and epa/dha (from fish oil) was the most vital supplementation your body needs to normalize irregular functioning, yet optimize your body in many many ways.

So this may not be a "cure" but it sure will improve your entire body and keep you young, youthful, and all that lovely good stuff <3

haha =)

I feel really happy right now!