Photo

Has anyone used Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid and...

This topic is archived.
66 replies to this topic

#41 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

thx Lion Queen and anyone else who has replied.

im guna brave it and restart PC. i will keep a fragmented log of my progress or anti-progress just for the hell of it.

just a question about my cleansing. i currently use peter thomas roths 2% saliylic acid cleanser and a facial brush, do people think this is to abbrasive? if yes should i be trying something quite different?

thx

#42 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(Reber187 @ Mar 20 2007, 03:22 PM) View Post
just a question about my cleansing. i currently use peter thomas roths 2% saliylic acid cleanser and a facial brush, do people think this is to abbrasive? if yes should i be trying something quite different?

Normally I advise people to use mild cleansers with no active ingredients if they are using active products .... but if you are not having any problems with dryness or irritation, there's probably no reason to switch.

#43 Lorrie

Lorrie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(gimnasta @ Mar 15 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Lorrie @ Mar 14 2007, 12:23 AM) View Post
I am also ordering PC 2% lotion this week. I have read rave reviews on this product. I am expecting a purging period when I start using it because I have lots comedonal acne and that gunk deep in my pores has to go some where. I am not looking forward to it because my active inflamed acne is at a minimum now. I read on someones log that you can use the BP for spot treating when the comedonal acne starts purging. Thats my plan since my active acne reacts well to BP. Unfortunatley its just not doing anything for those dam bumps that just seem to hang out and never turn into pimples or go away. Lorrie

I would get samples of the liquid as well, it works better than the lotion imho.

Yeah I realized too late that I should have probably ordered the liquid or gel. My BP is a lotion and I use a mositurizing lotion. A BHA lotion is probably not a good idea. Thats alot of goop on my face. But I'll try it and see what happens and if anything goes astray I will order the gel or liquid next time. Live and learn! Lorrie

#44 BeautifulDay

BeautifulDay

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

I am currently using the lotion but I am planning on ordering the gel or liquid for when summer arrives but I was just wondering how you apply the liquid. I know it says on a cotton ball or with your fingers... but if you use a cotton ball do you find there is a lot of waste? And is using your fingers really possible since it is like a toner in consistency? And whats with the sprayer that is offered with it, I wouldn't want to go about misting BHA all over my face because then it would get on your eyelids and hair etc...! So, how do you guys apply the liquid?

#45 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE(BeautifulDay @ Mar 22 2007, 04:42 PM) View Post
I am currently using the lotion but I am planning on ordering the gel or liquid for when summer arrives but I was just wondering how you apply the liquid. I know it says on a cotton ball or with your fingers... but if you use a cotton ball do you find there is a lot of waste? And is using your fingers really possible since it is like a toner in consistency? And whats with the sprayer that is offered with it, I wouldn't want to go about misting BHA all over my face because then it would get on your eyelids and hair etc...! So, how do you guys apply the liquid?

i just apply it with my finger and softly buff it in. it is kinda messy and leaves a white foamesque residue on the surface which i then dab with a tissue to remove.

#46 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

ok, its day 5 of my PC BHA 2% liquid restart, for my nose...

i sincerly believe my skin can't get much worse, its repellent. wherever ive applied the liquid the pore is now blocked to the utmost. furthermore i now have about 20 huge blockages scattered over my nose, to add to the hundreds of regulars. this is either purging to the max, or ive fucked my skin royally. its so fucking disgusting right now i cannot bear to converse with anyone, let alone go out in public. you cannot fathome what my skin looks like. im going to try and get a camera lent to me so i can post a pic.

#47 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(Lainey321 @ Mar 15 2007, 10:03 AM) View Post
I have sensitive skin, I used the 1% lotion first and it made me too greasy. I went right into the 2% liquid and I love it. The big difference I notice is that there hasn't been any burning and peeling like I have had previous with SA. The only dry spots I have are zits that are drying up.

Oh, and PC sells samples so it is pretty easy to sample several to see which ones you like.

Im using Paulas Choice BHA 2% gel and I to love it! I have very sensitive skin and this doesnt make my face red at all. It works so well!

#48 beckjan

beckjan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE(Reber187 @ Mar 25 2007, 08:29 AM) View Post

i sincerly believe my skin can't get much worse, its repellent. wherever ive applied the liquid the pore is now blocked to the utmost. furthermore i now have about 20 huge blockages scattered over my nose, to add to the hundreds of regulars. this is either purging to the max, or ive fucked my skin royally. its so fucking disgusting right now i cannot bear to converse with anyone, let alone go out in public. you cannot fathome what my skin looks like. im going to try and get a camera lent to me so i can post a pic.

The same thing happened to my skin when I used the PC BHA 2% liquid. I had to eventually stop using it because it never got better. My pores turned hard and it became nearly impossible to get a blackhead out. I went to my ethescian and she could hardly do anything. It seemed like it mostly just made my skin worse. It made my skin more oily too. My face was a mess on this stuff. I went back to using AHA's instead and my skin is so much better. I have purging with AHA products, but at least they are breakouts that come out of the skin and eventually clear. After that, my skin stays clear. It doesn't harden my pores at all or make my skin rough in feel and appearance like the PC BHA does. I know that there are people on these boards that praise PC's BHA products to death, but it's not for everyone. It doesn't work on everyone's skin. I use AHA souffle or the enhanced lotion both with glycolic acid. The glycolic acid is what my skin reacts better to. Maybe for yours too. Lactic Acid also worked well with my skin. Hope that helps.

#49 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE(beckjan @ Mar 26 2007, 06:12 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Reber187 @ Mar 25 2007, 08:29 AM) View Post

The same thing happened to my skin when I used the PC BHA 2% liquid. I had to eventually stop using it because it never got better. My pores turned hard and it became nearly impossible to get a blackhead out. I went to my ethescian and she could hardly do anything. It seemed like it mostly just made my skin worse. It made my skin more oily too. My face was a mess on this stuff. I went back to using AHA's instead and my skin is so much better. I have purging with AHA products, but at least they are breakouts that come out of the skin and eventually clear. After that, my skin stays clear. It doesn't harden my pores at all or make my skin rough in feel and appearance like the PC BHA does. I know that there are people on these boards that praise PC's BHA products to death, but it's not for everyone. It doesn't work on everyone's skin. I use AHA souffle or the enhanced lotion both with glycolic acid. The glycolic acid is what my skin reacts better to. Maybe for yours too. Lactic Acid also worked well with my skin. Hope that helps.

hi

that is precisely what is going on with my skin at the moment. the surface is coarse to the touch and look dreadful.

directly after you applied the liquid, or while you were apllying it, could you see that every pore blocked or assumed a blckhead like colour? this is what happens to me; i cleanse my skin and it looks ok(still visible blackheads aplenty) then i apply the PC and it immediately looks as though i never cleasned my face... no different, just repulsive skin on my nose.

and how long did you use the liquid before you dropped it?

thx

#50 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(Reber187 @ Mar 26 2007, 05:10 AM) View Post
that is precisely what is going on with my skin at the moment. the surface is coarse to the touch and look dreadful.

directly after you applied the liquid, or while you were apllying it, could you see that every pore blocked or assumed a blckhead like colour? this is what happens to me; i cleanse my skin and it looks ok(still visible blackheads aplenty) then i apply the PC and it immediately looks as though i never cleasned my face... no different, just repulsive skin on my nose.

Maybe it's time to start focusing on surface exfoliation rather than deep exfoliation?

A few possibilities:

-- AHAs, as beckjan suggested .... Diana Yvonne's AHA products are excellent.

-- Enzyme treatments to soften up the blackheads so they can be removed .... Jan Marini makes an enzyme cleanser, enzyme mask, and leave-on enzyme treatments for both day and night use.

-- Manual exfoliation ... I use a soft brush with the Jan Marini enzyme cleanser.

Also, what are you using to moisturize? Emu or jojoba oil should also help to soften the blackheads.

Have you tried extracting any of them?

#51 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(LionQueen @ Mar 26 2007, 02:53 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Reber187 @ Mar 26 2007, 05:10 AM) View Post

Maybe it's time to start focusing on surface exfoliation rather than deep exfoliation?

A few possibilities:

-- AHAs, as beckjan suggested .... Diana Yvonne's AHA products are excellent.

-- Enzyme treatments to soften up the blackheads so they can be removed .... Jan Marini makes an enzyme cleanser, enzyme mask, and leave-on enzyme treatments for both day and night use.

-- Manual exfoliation ... I use a soft brush with the Jan Marini enzyme cleanser.

Also, what are you using to moisturize? Emu or jojoba oil should also help to soften the blackheads.

Have you tried extracting any of them?

hi LionQueen

crisis of confidence with the PC yet again. i simply can't comprehend that what is going on at the moment is a positive effect. as beckjan wrote in her experience, my skin is now rough to the touch. this may be a good thing as blockages are being forced forward, but its hard to invisage this being the case when you evaluate my skin as a whole.

i don't use a moisturizer because PC is a leave-on.

i extracted a couple today with a makeshift extractor and a pair of wee tweezers. they came out resonably easily. others i tried didn't want to come so i left them be.

PC sent me the gel formula when i emailed them about my plight so i may try that this evening and see how it goes.

as i wrote beforehand, when i apply the liquid to clean skin it instantaneously has this super-negative effect... surely this isnt right. ive read many threads, posts etc, and nobody has spoken of this. if i was the posterboy for PC liquid then they'd be out of business.

when you applied the gel in the beginning weeks of use, did it extenuate or exaggerate the appearance of your pores and/or blockages?

thx

#52 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(Reber187 @ Mar 26 2007, 08:28 AM) View Post
hi LionQueen

crisis of confidence with the PC yet again. i simply can't comprehend that what is going on at the moment is a positive effect. as beckjan wrote in her experience, my skin is now rough to the touch. this may be a good thing as blockages are being forced forward, but its hard to invisage this being the case when you evaluate my skin as a whole.

i extracted a couple today with a makeshift extractor and a pair of wee tweezers. they came out resonably easily. others i tried didn't want to come so i left them be.

PC sent me the gel formula when i emailed them about my plight so i may try that this evening and see how it goes.

as i wrote beforehand, when i apply the liquid to clean skin it instantaneously has this super-negative effect... surely this isnt right. ive read many threads, posts etc, and nobody has spoken of this. if i was the posterboy for PC liquid then they'd be out of business.

when you applied the gel in the beginning weeks of use, did it extenuate or exaggerate the appearance of your pores and/or blockages?

Well, I didn't have blackheads when I started with the BHAs .... my skin had already purged with Green Cream. I use the BHAs to help fight congested pores (I don't get hard comedones anymore, just soft, superficial sebum plugs).

But I've read many, many threads about this product and your problem does seem unusual ... that instantaneous effect you mention puzzles me completely.

You can use moisturizer, btw, even with leave-on AHA and BHA products. You just have to wait 30 minutes before applying it over the BHAs. I think it might help you to add this to your routine .... it really sounds like the comedones are on their way out, we just need to figure out how to get you through this particular stage in the process. If the blackheads are dry and hard, softening them up might help them come out.

Anyway .... think about the suggestions from my last post .... and let us know what happens when you use the gel instead of the liquid.

#53 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE(LionQueen @ Mar 26 2007, 04:44 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Reber187 @ Mar 26 2007, 08:28 AM) View Post
hi LionQueen

Well, I didn't have blackheads when I started with the BHAs .... my skin had already purged with Green Cream. I use the BHAs to help fight congested pores (I don't get hard comedones anymore, just soft, superficial sebum plugs).

But I've read many, many threads about this product and your problem does seem unusual ... that instantaneous effect you mention puzzles me completely.

You can use moisturizer, btw, even with leave-on AHA and BHA products. You just have to wait 30 minutes before applying it over the BHAs. I think it might help you to add this to your routine .... it really sounds like the comedones are on their way out, we just need to figure out how to get you through this particular stage in the process. If the blackheads are dry and hard, softening them up might help them come out.

Anyway .... think about the suggestions from my last post .... and let us know what happens when you use the gel instead of the liquid.

thank you LionQueen, i appreciate the support.

i think i may steam my skin later also, see if that helps when extracting the odd one here or there. i guess monitoring the blackheads i got out today will evident whether or not the liquid is having a detrimental impact on my skin. if they clear somewhat then it must be a purging, if not...

i wish i could get a respirator mask, cover my nose wth an air-tight seal, and suck the air out by means of some device... that would be sweet.

thx again

#54 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:52 AM

i discontiuned the PC liquid(again) and replaced it with PC gel which they sent me after i detailed my reaction to the said product.

the gel is so much better suited to my skin and appears to be making strides to unblock my pores. the arrant volume of oil that was being pumped out is now noexistant, moreover blackheads are being pushed to the surface, primed for extraction. for this i have used wood glue 2 days straight and have rid my nose of about 90 or so blackheads.

i find it hard to grasp that one PC BHA could have such a negative effect on my skin, when another can yield such a positive.

i hope that my skin continues in this vien because progress is plainly visible.

i will post an update in a couple of days.

#55 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

I am so relieved to hear about your progress!

The whole wood glue thing still spooks me a bit ... but hey, if it works for you, it works. biggrin.gif Can't argue with success.

I'm still mystified by the difference in results between the BHA liquid and gel, but I am really glad to know about it. I'm also glad to hear that the gel seems to be working for you ... I know I love it.

keep us posted!

#56 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:46 AM

from practically every concievable pore on my nose being blocked, a week later and i have about 10 visible blackheads/blockages. furthermore my pores have closed completely and, even under close scrutiny, you would not be able to conclude that a blackhead had occupied any given pore for years upon years. my skin looks consitantly clear and evenly toned.

i attribute this dramatic shift to PC BHA 2% gel, but even more so to wood glue. its incredible at unblocking all forms of blockage without detriment to the skin. i know people think, like i originally did, that this is mental and wont do shit... if you thought and believed this i advise you to try i just once and see how thouroghly it extracts blackheads. and to think that a bottle cost about £3 and will last me 12 months easy.

#57 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:41 AM

i now have NO blackheads/blockages on my nose what so ever... zilch.

#58 SjSharks

SjSharks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

Hi all, I'm Eric and this board have a lot of great knowledgable people here. I have severe blackheads on my nose and cheeks area.

I've been using PC gel 2% for 6 days now.. I dont see any result. I maybe going through purging, but as soon as I put on the gel, I get a couple of red spots then it goes away quickly. First a couple of days, my skin dried out really bad, but it progesses better as I speak. Since Pc usage, I've gotten a several zips.

Yesterday, I bought Elmers exterior wood glue and tried it 3 times with no result. I did it right after the shower.

Should I keep on using PC??? I was thinking of buying blackhead remover..do you think its worth it?? thanks

#59 Reber187

Reber187

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2007 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE(SjSharks @ Apr 8 2007, 07:35 PM) View Post
Hi all, I'm Eric and this board have a lot of great knowledgable people here. I have severe blackheads on my nose and cheeks area.

I've been using PC gel 2% for 6 days now.. I dont see any result. I maybe going through purging, but as soon as I put on the gel, I get a couple of red spots then it goes away quickly. First a couple of days, my skin dried out really bad, but it progesses better as I speak. Since Pc usage, I've gotten a several zips.

Yesterday, I bought Elmers exterior wood glue and tried it 3 times with no result. I did it right after the shower.

Should I keep on using PC??? I was thinking of buying blackhead remover..do you think its worth it?? thanks

hey Sj

trust me, persist with the gel it will do exactly what it says on the tin, i should know.

did you let the wood glue dry for 20-30 minutes before peeling it off? from my own experience i struggle to comprehend that it did nothing to tug out those blackheads. i removed close to a hundred the initial time i used it.

#60 SjSharks

SjSharks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE(Reber187 @ Apr 9 2007, 06:58 AM) View Post
QUOTE(SjSharks @ Apr 8 2007, 07:35 PM) View Post

hey Sj

trust me, persist with the gel it will do exactly what it says on the tin, i should know.

did you let the wood glue dry for 20-30 minutes before peeling it off? from my own experience i struggle to comprehend that it did nothing to tug out those blackheads. i removed close to a hundred the initial time i used it.

I know the reason why wood glue didnt work for me was, I have sweaty nose. every time I pulled it out, I will see tiny holes on the dry wood glue strip. I think I will stick with biore pore strip with Queen Helene Masque, Mint Julep.. lets see what will happen