Aspirin breaks down into a wonderful beta-hydroxy acid which is oil-soluble and excellent at penetrating pores beneath the sebum and dissolving/exfoliating dead skin cells. I combine it with the leaves from a bag of Green Tea, which is high in essential anti-oxidants that protect against harmful agents and stimulate circulation which is good for healing and skin tone. After I rinse this mask off, my skin is soft, bright, even-toned and fresh looking.
*CAUTION: If you are allergic to aspirin or salicylic acid, please don't use this. If you're wary or not sure if you are, do a test patch somewhere on your arm or something and see what happens.*
What You Need:
10 aspirin pills
1 bag of green tea
Honey (strongly recommended) and/or jojoba oil
- It will be easier for you if you find uncoated aspirin because it will dissolve quicker in water. I can never find the stuff, though, so I take the aspirin pills, put them in a ziplock bag and use a broom handle (I know, ghettoooo lol) to roll over them and crush them up. You don't have to do it this way, but whatever way you find to help you crush them up is fine.
- I put the crushed aspirin into a bowl. Then, I run a bag of green tea under warm water just enough to moisten it. I squeeze the water from that to start the paste making process. Then, I open up the bag and dump in the green tea leaves.
- People find that just water and aspirin is difficult to work with because it crusts up easily and doesn't spread very well, so people use all sorts of things to help it along, including: honey, jojoba oil, clay powder, etc. My skin likes Jojoba oil, so I use it.
- Use just enough of the honey and whatever else you're using to make a spreadable paste.
- Then, you apply this to your face, let it sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse it off. Some people like to use it as a scrub while they're rinsing it off, so if you like scrubbing, go for it.
- Finish it off with a couple splashes of cold water and then your toner and/or moisturizer if you use one.
Green tea is high in EGCG which is a powerful anti-oxidant, protecting your skin from harmful conditions. It also promotes circulation which is good for your skin.
Honey contains magnesium, calcium, potassium, sodium chlorine, sulfur, iron and phosphate; vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6; copper, iodine and zinc (in small amounts). It's a good alternative to alpha hydroxy masks because of its acid content, yet is also good for sensitive skin. Its a natural antiseptic and also aids in healing the skin.
Jojoba oil is made from the seed of the Jojoba plant. It's non-comedogenic and great for balancing your skin and moisturizing it.