Photo

The OIL CLEANSING METHOD (Highly Recommended!)

green tea makeup oily skin

444 replies to this topic

#421 faNatiic

faNatiic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, good food, traveling, music, art...

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hi, I'm on this OCM for a month now and I seldom use EVOO just plain CO.

1. I noticed that my skin became less oily (which means I don't have to blot everytime), and
2. my pores are less visible or in most cases I notice right after my OCM, my pores particularly in my nose and cheeks are closed.
3. it's a very nice make-up removal especially for the waterproof mascaras.
4. skin is smooth and not greasy/oily despite of the fact that I have been cleansing my face with "oil".
5. my forehead used to be darker than my cheeks especially 4-6 hours after my bath (that's because of the oil sunbathing on my forehead), but after a week of the OCM, I noticed that my skin color has started to balance out.
6. my skin on my face became lighter, or clearer.
7. I have one breakout at a time (I'm not sure if EVOO got stuck in my pores that triggered it), but I think CO helps it lighten the scar; it also helps it dry faster.
8. my lashes became thicker and longer.

I hope this helps you decide. Posted Image

I signed up for an account JUST to make a post here (lol)--I've found my experience with OCM to be very similar to what rOxyfOxy posted.

Castor Oil (CO) was much better for my skin than EVOO (I have oily/combination/sensitive skin). I don't use the facial towel--just cleanse morning and night with CO + a bit of avocado oil. It gets all the gunk out.

OCM has worked well for me (I've been eating quite healthily and exercise regularly, etc etc). OCM cleans the face well but to keep the acne down I've found that the #1 "solution" is to reduce/eliminate stress.

I never forgot this thread because the tips by the original poster were very detailed and very, very helpful in my experience.

P.S. The face towel definitely needs to be changed every time you wash your face--all the bacteria will be left there otherwise (which will lead to the terrible breakouts)...

#422 lightersUP

lightersUP

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

I just wanted to update on my horrible experience with OCM and hopefully save some people from going overboard with this. If you do try it it's important to know when to stop if you're experiencing breakouts. Absolutely do not continue if your face seems to be getting worse. I stopped the OCM about 3 weeks ago and I'm still dealing with the consequences. While my face is now smoothing out and less red than before, I still have several splotches here and there and some lingering bumps. Thankfully the huge cystic acne have dried out but I can tell it'll be about 1 month more before my face returns to normal.

The warning sign I should've noticed while on OCM was when I saw several under the skin bumps on my cheeks. I thought, oh this must be purging. WRONG. It was actually my pores being severely clogged up with oils. I know this because over the upcoming weeks I would get horrible cystic acne in those areas. It was crazy and like nothing I've ever experienced before. At the height of this breakout I would wake up to new acne and whiteheads DAILY. These would be so huge and hurt when I smiled. I would examine my face and my cheeks would look so bumpy like the Rocky Mountains, and that's no exaggeration either. As the days went by these would turn even more red and inflamed. I even remember one morning I touched a sore spot very very lightly and it just oozed out pus. I knew then that I had to stop OCM. I was probably sealing in so much bad bacteria in my face and it just looked like I had a very serious skin infection.

Trying the OCM is no doubt the worst thing I've ever done to my face and I've been dealing with acne for more than 10 years. Once again please be careful with this., especially if you have only mild acne. This could easily turn it moderate.

#423 Beautyofgrace

Beautyofgrace

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

What do you use to exfoliate??

#424 Taylor Marlowe

Taylor Marlowe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

I have started doing OCM. I am using 50% castor and 50% grapeseed oil. My face has never been this dry. It dries me out, and my face is chapped and painful. The slightest touch on my face caused pain. I will be continuing for a few more days and if it doesn't get any better I am siwtching back to cetaphil

#425 excelicious

excelicious

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Running is my favorite hobby. Also yoga once in a while to "de stressify" myself. I could probably do more adventurous things if my acne was not holding me back emotionally.

Achievements

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

OCM was amazing for my oily skin it poofed the oilies right away. Not only that but I noticed that after a week of using OCM the white stuff underneath blackheads dried up and surfaced on top of my skin, like tiny rice grains. This happened especially on my nose where I tend to get many blackheads. Unfortunately OCM stopped working for me when I introduced and mixed tea tree oil with my regime. Lets just say all hell broke loose.

But now I have clear skin again! Thanks to moisturizing face wash and moisturizer!

Everyone is different, no one is wrong and no one is correct, everything is based on hardcore experience.

#426 Taylor Marlowe

Taylor Marlowe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

I had to stop doing OCM. It dried me out terribly. I am dry and patchy and flaking. I should have stuck with cetaphil, moisturiser, and differn.

#427 nsv

nsv

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

So I've decided to try your OCM, and I know it is meant to replace one's normal, every day face wash. However, is it also meant to replace any topical acne products such as benzoyl peroxide, and solely use the OCM on a daily basis?

Just FYI, this is the first night I try OCM-using Castor Oil and Organic Jojoba Oil.

Thanks!

#428 Trev69

Trev69

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

I tried the oil pulling method which I am sure is helpful for some people but it seemed too laborious. Jojoba oil is without a doubt the best oil for acne (check it out for yourself) although obviously it won't suit everyone. I have been using a lotion by mama nature for acne - teenage dream - and my acne has more or less been cleared away. My friends can't believe it never mind me. Because it is expensive I have been toying with the idea of making my own blend. Can anyone recommend a reliable supplier of essential oils?

#429 vyktorys

vyktorys

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:02 AM

Hi,

Today I started to use this method with Castor oil (20%) and Extra Vergin Olive Oil (80%).

After the cleansing I feel somenthing like my skin is a little bit dry, or something like my face is a little bit burning (I think I have a sensitive skin).

My question is, can I use a moisture after this OCM (moisture - organic and unrefined butter shea, or coconut oil) or this method is ALL in ONE, the Castor Oil cleans and Olive Oil moisture?

Thank you for your time and answer,

Victor

#430 DBod

DBod

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hello, reading a bit of this thread I have noticed a bunch of people saying that they need to use a anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory product along with the OCM.

To these people (and really anyone using the OCM) I would suggest adding a few drops of clove essential oil and a few drops of peppermint essential oil to their mixture. Usually I make my mixture approximately 1-2% clove oil and 1-2% peppermint oil.
Clove oil is both anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory and is an amazing addition to your oil mixture! Peppermint oil is anti-bacterial and is extremely soothing to the skin. Both of these oils smell great as well!

The mixture I am using now is approximately 70% grape-seed oil, 27% EVOO, 1% clove oil and 2% peppermint oil. It has worked GREAT for me so far! Also, recently I started putting lemon juice on my face 30 min. before I do the OCM and some of my acne scars and dark marks have started to fade. Also, while lemon juice can be drying, doing it 30 min. before the OCM minimizes how much it dries your skin because when you do the OCM you give it all the moisture it needs.

My acne is not completely gone, but before doing this my acne was moderately severe and I tried pretty much everything except accutane without much success. However it has improved a bit since I started doing this and now I would say it is light to moderate.

Hope this helps people!

#431 lifetimeofacne

lifetimeofacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

I am middle-aged and have had acne most of my life. I do agree with some of the posters that a good diet and exercise are important, but some people have acne just the same. And I do acknowledge that just about everything works for some people - each person has to find what is best for them. The only 2 things that have really helped me were being on birth control pills and Accutane. Unfortunately, I am too old for the pill now. I have found that a low maintenance dosage of Accutane works best for me, although I don't feel like I should take it constantly. I am getting ready to try the OCM, not expecting a miracle, just willing to try anything that might help some. I do have a question though. I have read through this entire thread and noticed that quite a few of the people that say not to even try the OCM because it will make things worse recommend using the products on the Paula's Choice site. Just a coincidence or are those products that different and that much better than anything else out there?

#432 BMarieWantsNoAcne

BMarieWantsNoAcne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think, like you said, some things work for some people and not for others. So while they all recommend it, OCM may work better for you. Who knows... I did like the OCM a lot. It made my skin so soft, but it didn't really help my cystic acne. It may work for you though, so give it a try. :)

#433 Lull

Lull

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

I've created an account just to post about this. I have suffered with moderate & occasionally severe acne on my face, back, chest & upper arms since I was 8. I am now nearly 29.

I have tried most things short of accutane. I am female, with PCOS & high levels of testosterone. I was given salycic acid gels when I was younger which did nothing. Dianette (the cyproterone acetate pill) worked apparent wonders initially with a 97% clearing of my face & beautiful smooth texture. But I disliked how it made me have a constant brain fog & it diminished my natural strength making me lose interest in sports. I kept up with it for approx 6 years, but stopped when I realised my blood pressure had crept up from exceptionally low (70/45 ... My family are naturally like that) up to 125/110. Coming off it was a relief but my acne came back on my face with a vengeance (although it never went away on my back/chest anyway)

I saw a dermatologist eventually at the age of 24ish. He put me on antibiotics, 2.5% benzoyl peroxide (I think only once a week) and differin/adapalene daily. Results were ok-ish but I was only approx 40% clear on my face & no real difference on my back. I had constant yeast infections, felt sick & was constantly getting ill.

He suggested putting me on Spironolactone, but explained it was hard on the kidneys. I knew that I was having constant UTIs & protein had been found in my urine on several occasions before (stupid doctors kept saying it was contamination in the sample & I couldn't possibly have kidney problems at my age) Luckily I decided to push the doctors to investigate properly before I went on the Spironolactone. Turns out I have stage 2 chronic kidney disease, with only 60% function - which I can't help but feel may have been compounded by the years of taking dianette & antibiotics. My GP just tells me it has to get worse before they will send me to a nephrologist! But whenever I tell another doctor (eg when having surgery) they always look at me as though they are shocked, ask what caused it & why it isn't being looked into in more depth. Obviously, this must be uncommon at my age.

So I decided that the medical establishment are a bit short sighted & that I needed to take things into my own hands. I tried the benzoyl peroxide regime here on acne.org but struggled to keep it up & I got so fed up of the bleaching of clothes, the smell, the dryness & the fact reaching my back was so difficult. The final straw was when the only moisturiser I'd found that worked in the UK was discontinued (Boots Botanics Pore Perfecting moisturiser with SPF 15)

I then fell across the oil cleansing method. I laughed at first. Oil is so obviously bad for acne right? Like you - I've done loads of reading about acne & this seemed so counter-intuitive. So I ignored it for ages, but something kept niggling at the back of my brain.

When I was on bed-rest after an operation a while back, I had not been doing anything at all to my skin. I basically hadn't been washing much... Gross I know! But my acne seemed to magically clear up. I had dismissed it as coincidence, or lack of stress through doing nothing! But this, combined with the fact that my acne had improved when I started using a gentler face wash (Avene gel cleanser... Great for the benzoyl peroxide regime - no foaming and much more calming than most) ... Well it made me wonder if my skin didn't like having its oil stripped away all the time.

I started with Olive oil (extra virgin) & once I got over the I initial oddity, I liked the way it removed my makeup gently, made my skin feel smooth and not irritated, and at the time, I thought I may be imagining it - but my skin felt less greasy. However I did this for a couple of weeks and no improvement in the acne at all. I got bored & stopped for a while. However I decided to keep using olive oil on my hands immediately after washing to seal in the moisture (a great tip btw... I could never grow my nails before I did this - is get rough bits of skin & nail that I'd try to 'tidy up' with my teeth & end up biting everything off!) I also kept using it as a lip balm (I really liked the idea of it being edible). But I started getting loads of little spots on my lip line... Something I'd never suffered from before - so I realised that the olive oil itself was blocking my pores.

This actually brought me back to thinking about the OCM since I realised that the issue may be the specific oil, not the process itself. I did a load more research & discovered that Jojoba is the most universally tolerated oil for acne. Some were mixing it with grapeseed - and castor was mentioned quite a lot too. I bought these (tried to get organic, cold pressed where possible to avoid synthetic chemical contaminants), but after doing a bit more reading - decided against using the castor oil. Too many people were saying it broke them out or was drying. I also suffer from some excess hair growth in places & castor oil is supposed to stimulate hair follicles!

So I did an approximately 50/50 mix of jojoba/grapeseed. I put it on with clean hands at night, massaged it in & used a hot washcloth to wipe it gently away several times. I felt the same as with the EVOO - smooth, non-irritated, less greasy etc... Except this time I seemed to be gradually clearing up. I've now been doing it for 6 months & am astounded by the results.

Oil cleansing with Jojoba (this is the key oil for me - the grapeseed is just to reduce the cost) made me 85% clear on my face. My constant slight redness dissappeared, the dryness dissappeared, I didn't have a constant forehead oil-slick anymore & the texture of my skin was improved massively. Best of all... No side effects! I was putting something that was safe enough to eat on my skin. That made me feel strangely smug ... but also just made complete sense.

However, I'm greedy & wanted more than that! I thought - if this has made such a difference, maybe something else can help with last few spots.

I discovered Manuka Honey & started using it as a face mask in the morning. I put it on slightly wet skin all over the affected areas & let it sit whilst I eat breakfast etc - then rinse it off with warm water or a washcloth. I am now 95% clear & feel able to go without makeup for the first time in my life! Even when my skin was clear on dianette, I had a slight blotchy redness that I felt the need to cover up. No longer with this routine... I feel truly liberated!

I would have laughed at this remedy previously - I had heard honey was good for skin many times before, but thought it was an old-wives nonsense tale. Clearly it was only for hippies... only worked a little bit (not like real synthetic chemical cocktails!) or was only for those with 'normal' skin or minor issues. My skin was clearly far too severely problematic to benefit from something natural, edible and that came from a flying creature!

How wrong could I have been. The jojoba oil had shown me that the way I had been tought to think about my skin was completely the wrong way round - which is why I gave the honey a try. The Manuka honey is particularly good because of the diffferent mechanism of it's antibacterial properties. Also, it won't have been processed in a way that damages its healing properties.

So my summary is: give it a try, what have you got to lose? Don't use olive oil - I know people are different, but I you are much safer to use Jojoba oil which mimics our skins own natural sebum. Try it as an eye makeup remover or lip balm first if you are scared - then any problems should become apparent quickly. And most of all - don't dismiss it as non-science, it makes a lot of sense when you start to analyse it - and these substances are not going to harm you at all (unlike accutane, antibiotics, hormonal treatments etc)... So just give it a go.

P.s. my back acne seems to have magically dissappeared too! The only thing I can attribute this to is that I now only wash my hair with hot water every day, and sometimes a bicarbonate of soda wash followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse. I wash once a week with a tiny amount of ecover washing up liquid (!) in a bowl with a load of warm water, then dunk my hair & scalp upside down into it (which is how I use the Bicarb & vinegar too). I use a tiny bit of jojoba on the tips as a conditioner.

I am starting to wonder if surfectants/degreasants/silicones etc have been almost entirely responsible for aggravating the while thing! The only other time my back has cleared up is when it gets burnt in the sun.., wierd, but it stays perfectly clear for 2-3 months afterwards. No treatment by the medical establishment has ever improved my back. The idea of 'wash away the grease' with these stripping chemical cocktails is clearly flawed. If I was cynical - I'd even venture that it might be encouraged on purpose to ensure the problem is never cured & they keep their customers. Money & greed can be terrible corrupters.

Edited by Lull, 31 March 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#434 Digitalbathtub

Digitalbathtub

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:08 AM

I have my results with the oil cleansing method are the same for many other people... not good.

My skin: I have dry, chemically sensitive skin that occasionally (always during menstration) breaks out in small, puss-filled pimples. I'm 27 & I've had small breakouts since I was 15. I wanted to try the OCM because I had read that it could eliminate the need for moisturizers (because they always break me out) & it seemed like a natural, inexpensive way to clean my face.

I began the OCM in March (3 months ago). I started out using organic extra virgin olive oil & castor oil (80/20) which I mixed in a clean plastic pump bottle. I cut up some hand trowels to ensure they would be large enough to cover my entire face while steaming. The first week I did the cleansing every other day; then every afternoon thereafter.

My regimen: Clean hands thoroughly & pump about a quarter sized amount into palms. Rub to warm & apply to face, massaging gently in circular motions. I then turn on the water to heat it up while I continue massaging. Once the water is hot, I wet the towel, ring, & apply to face to steam. I steam 3-4 times, wiping gently after each. I make sure to rinse the towel thoroughly in between steaming. Then I do a final wipe to get the remaining oil off.

About 2 weeks into it, I noticed what is called "congestion" on my chin & forehead. There were many tiny flesh colored bumps.
Between 3 weeks & a month into it, I got large, painful cysts on my upper cheeks, under my cheek bones & around my jawline.
I decided to add a few drops of tea tree oil to the mix to hopefully help with the breakouts that I believed were "purging". No help, in fact, that may have made it worse.
I stuck to it, following the advice of others that this was just my skin "purging" & that it would clear up soon.
About 2 months into it, my face would clear up a little, but then 3 times as many bumps would come up. I've had every kind of pimple possible while using the OCM. Some were flesh colored, some bright red & flat, some looked like they had white heads, but when I curiously poked it, nothing came out, & not to forget the cystic acne that had taken over my cheeks & jawbone.
I stuck with it for one more month & I cannot take anymore. I do not believe that this is my skin purging, it is acne (which by definition I have never had).
Two nights ago I decided to wash my face with my old Clean & Clear for sensitive skin that I had put away in the cabinet 3 months ago & again last night. After only 2 washes my skin is showing improvement. My congestion is completely gone, my hard bumps are softer, & the cysts are greatly reduced in size & no longer painful.
I had very high hopes for the OCM. Perhaps I did something incorrectly or should've tried different oils. I may get brave enough to try this again with jojoba oil, but it will be a while.

I am happy to see that some people (it seems to be those with oily skin) have had success with this, but I ended up with a 3 month long horror story.

#435 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

If the oil is dissolving all the oil in your pores then surely you will produce even more oil on your face throughout the day? I'd be mad if I even thought about trying this.

#436 Adelle

Adelle

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hello, Barnabas!

Thank you for sharing the oil cleansing method. I`ve been fighting with acne forever.I can write a book about all of the products that I have used. I got my oils and I`ll start tonight! I went to 2 Walmart stores and I couldn`t find the Concha Nacar cream,but I found it at Navarro.I just saw that mine looks a little different than the one you talk about. I attached an image,so you can see it.On its label,it says that it`s a mix formulation of Mother Pearl and vitamin C that helps to eliminate and to lighten black spots,small scars, and other skin imperfections. I was wondering what`s the difference between yours and mine? I`ll be looking forward to your response. Thank you in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• Concha Nacar.jpg

#437 Jewell613

Jewell613

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

After finding out what oils work best for your skin type you you use a jar or something to mix the oils together and keep it like that or do you just mix it whenever you go to wash your face? 

I'm just wondering what combination of oils someone with combination skin should use? I have mild-moderate cystic acne on my lower face/chin. I am just really nervous about starting the OCM and I don't want to buy an oil that doesn't work for me.

#438 Megbaby07

Megbaby07

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

I absolutely 100% stand by the OCM. After reading this, which was a couple weeks ago.. I decided why not! I had nothing left to loose. I worked with what I had right in my own kitchen, which is organic olive oil with green tea leaves. I put some of he olive oil in a bowl, break open a green tea bag, pour it in.. Then drench myself head to toe in it. After rubbing it into my skin for about 5 minutes, sometimes less if I'm in a hurry, I hop in the shower to rinse off. It can get a little messy, so I bring my bowl of olive oil into the shower with me. I immediately started seeing results, although I'm still dealing with a few blemishes here and there my skin is clearer and softer than I've ever seen it before. This forum saved my skin, I will be using this on my skin probably all my life now.

#439 misheldoherty

misheldoherty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

Thanks. I haven't used cleansing oil uptill now, only facewash. But, now I will give a try to some cleansing oil. Let's see, If it have some positive effect or not.

#440 LucyL00

LucyL00

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hello, total newbie here! Like others I signed up to reply to this topic alone.

I have suffered from acne for a long time and completed a course of Roaccutane approx 2 years ago. My skin has slowly gone back to being (slightly) spotty over time and I can accept that as it is no where near as bad as what it was before the Roaccutane.

I read about the oil cleansing method last summer and wanted to give it a go, and used it for a couple of months (sporadically not regularly), however my skin started to flare up around my chin and jaw line and it was starting to upset me quite a lot. I thought it was best to leave it alone but my skin got really bad towards the end of December and I discovered Salcura products online and got a sample of the Antiac spray, which I started using and it has really helped to clear up my skin. 

Just by chance I never really had time to do the oil cleansing method over the Christmas holidays. I went back to reading about the oil cleansing method and ended up on this forum, which I had not visited before (surprisingly!) and I saw the less complimentary reviews of oil cleansing method. It never occured to me that it was the oil cleansing method causing the spots on my chin (which were very irritating and painful) but I've come to put 2 and 2 together and I think i will be staying away from the oil cleansing method in future! I love how soft it made my skin and I liked the fact it was like giving yourself a mini spa facial but I had no idea it was making my skin worse!

I know everyone is different but I just wanted to share my story smile.png

EDIT: 19th March 2014 - I have stayed away from the oil cleansing method since my last post. I have also swapped from cow's milk to almond or coconut milk on my cereal (which is where I really used most milk) and really tried to cut out bread (I used to eat quite a lot of bread) and my skin has improved. I really don't have that many spots on my face any more. I still have some bad ones occasionally but I really think cutting down on milk and bread has helped. I still eat 'dairy' in general (though I try to limit the amount), and occasionally eat bread or pizza etc. but cutting down on these things has not been as hard as I thought. 

Again, hope this helps!

Edited by LucyL00, 19 March 2014 - 06:17 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users