ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me
  • Interests:theia mania. cats.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:07 PM

No, no one puts mercury into them. Mercury is a heavy metal that never entirely dissipates , i.e. it has a continual half-life. Many bottom feeding fish have significant mercury levels due to this. These same fish are rich in fats to insulate them from the colder temps at the bottom of the ocean, hence they are often used in supplements.

#43 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 12:55 PM

Which is why they purify fish oil in a multi step process.

#44 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(bber @ Feb 24 2007, 11:55 PM) View Post
QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Feb 25 2007, 12:51 AM) View Post
Health Risks if overdosed:

* Increased bleeding can occur if overused (normally over 3 grams per day)
* The possibility of hemorrhagic stroke
* Oxidation of omega-3 fatty acids forming biologically active oxidation products
* Increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol or apoproteins associated with LDL cholesterol among diabetics and hyperlipidemics
* Reduced glycemic control among diabetics
* Suppression of immune and inflammation responses, and consequently, to decreased resistance to infections and increased susceptibility to opportunistic bacteria

I'm sticking to 3 grams

Im curious as to what medical study you found these side effects from. Especially since the 3 gram marker seems suspicious, it should be a unit based on mg/kg of body mass. Link us up?

consider this. 3 ozs of salmon contain a little over 2 grams, and you could easliy eat about eight ounces in just one meal, thats 5 grams of omega 3 in one meal so image if you ate three meals a day of salmon, that would equal to about 15 grams omega 3 and if you could afford to eat salmon at every meal you'd be one healty mofo so even at 15 grams youre still within a very natural range, and for answers like these always look to nature and what is naturally consumable for the answer.

you got nothing to worry about, i would think anything over 20 grams would be over doing it, plus its all about maintaing a fat ratio, so it all depends on how many omega 6s you eat, if you have a really good diet and manage to only eat three grams of total omega 6s, which seems hard to do, then you would only need three grams to balance it out, so definitly analyze your regular diet and see how many foods you eat have excessive omega 6, check out this site http://www.nutritiondata.com/

#45 ArcadeFire

ArcadeFire

ik hou van jou.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:music.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

i'm a bit confused about the omega 3/6 1:1 ratio deal
can someone please explain to me because i've gone to the site and i don't understand it =[

or to just put it plainly, would it be perfectly fine to take one capsule in the morning and one at night?

#46 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(ArcadeFire @ Feb 25 2007, 01:37 PM) View Post
i'm a bit confused about the omega 3/6 1:1 ratio deal
can someone please explain to me because i've gone to the site and i don't understand it =[

or to just put it plainly, would it be perfectly fine to take one capsule in the morning and one at night?

first you need to know aproximatley how much omega 6s are currently in your diet in grams, 1000mg =1 gram
look up the foods you eat at this site http://www.nutritiondata.com/
the omega 6 and 3 amounts will be in the bottom left hand corner of the page for any food they have in their database.

once you find your intake of omega 3s match it gram to gram with fish oil to achieve a 1:1 ratio. its ok to actually err on the omega 3 side of the ratio.

if you find your diet requires you to take to many fish oil capsules to balance it out, eat less omega 6, in fact that should be something to also work on, avoid any food that are really high in omega 6s check out the specs in the bottom to the left for 1 cup of cashews http://www.nutrition...01-01c20pB.html

#47 bber

bber

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

Ok so I looked at the charts and filled in the amounts of omega 6s and 3s in my diet. If its useful to anyone, here it goes.
Food omega 6 omega 3
6 boiled eggs 3564 234
2 1lb steaks 4200 1580
whey+milk ? ?
2 1lb steaks 4200 1580
whey+milk ? ?
pasta ? ?
Totals 11964 3394

Thats roughly 12g of omega 6s and 3.4g of omega 3. Couldn't find the amounts of omega 6 and 3 in milk. For some reason I thought the ratio would be more skewed towards omega 6s. If the ratio from o6:o3 is based on o6 vs DHA/EPA then the ratio is around 1:1 leaning towards the o3 side. If its based on total oil consumption then my ratio is more like 1:2. Not sure if thats healthy or not, but it sure as hell is doing wonders for my skin.

Edit
Silly me, forgot the 90 some grams of roasted dry peanuts i take throughout the day, so that adds about 14g of more o6s.

#48 ArcadeFire

ArcadeFire

ik hou van jou.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:music.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

oh okay thanks! and another question :

does fish oil help the oil or the acne in general?

#49 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE(bber @ Feb 25 2007, 02:36 PM) View Post
Ok so I looked at the charts and filled in the amounts of omega 6s and 3s in my diet. If its useful to anyone, here it goes.
Food omega 6 omega 3
6 boiled eggs 3564 234
2 1lb steaks 4200 1580
whey+milk ? ?
2 1lb steaks 4200 1580
whey+milk ? ?
pasta ? ?
Totals 11964 3394

Thats roughly 12g of omega 6s and 3.4g of omega 3. Couldn't find the amounts of omega 6 and 3 in milk. For some reason I thought the ratio would be more skewed towards omega 6s. If the ratio from o6:o3 is based on o6 vs DHA/EPA then the ratio is around 1:1 leaning towards the o3 side. If its based on total oil consumption then my ratio is more like 1:2. Not sure if thats healthy or not, but it sure as hell is doing wonders for my skin.

Edit
Silly me, forgot the 90 some grams of roasted dry peanuts i take throughout the day, so that adds about 14g of more o6s.

nice work!!

so 26000mg o6/ 3400mg o3 gives you a ratio of 7.64:1 of o6/o3

a pretty far cry from 1:1 or an err on the omega 3 side.

so to balance you need to take 26 pills of fish oil!!!!HAHA good luck!!!!

i think you may need to find ways to lower your omega 6 intake unless you are trying to get more of your calories from fat energy which is kinda smart because fats are loaded with energy when burned as a fuel source.

i would say drop the peanuts.

#50 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 03:53 PM

this is one reason why im so enthusiastic about balancing omega 6/3s

Exp Mol Pathol. 2006 Dec;81(3):202-10. Epub 2006 Sep 1. Links
Polyunsaturated fatty acid regulation of gene expression.
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53706, USA.
Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), specifically the n-3 series, have been implicated in the prevention of various human diseases, including obesity, diabetes, coronary heart disease and stroke, and inflammatory and neurologic diseases. PUFAs function mainly by altering membrane lipid composition, cellular metabolism, signal transduction, and regulation of gene expression. PUFAs regulate the expression of genes in various tissues, including the liver, heart, adipose tissue, and brain. The role of transcription factors such as SREBP1c and nuclear receptors such as PPAR-alpha, HNF-4alpha, and LXRalpha in mediating the nuclear effects of PUFAs are addressed.

#51 bber

bber

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(AutonomousOne1980 @ Feb 25 2007, 04:51 PM) View Post
QUOTE(bber @ Feb 25 2007, 02:36 PM) View Post
Food omega 6 omega 3
6 boiled eggs 3564 234
2 1lb steaks 4200 1580
whey+milk ? ?
2 1lb steaks 4200 1580
whey+milk ? ?
pasta ? ?
Totals 11964 3394

Edit

nice work!!

so 26000mg o6/ 3400mg o3 gives you a ratio of 7.64:1 of o6/o3

a pretty far cry from 1:1 or an err on the omega 3 side.

so to balance you need to take 26 pills of fish oil!!!!HAHA good luck!!!!

i think you may need to find ways to lower your omega 6 intake unless you are trying to get more of your calories from fat energy which is kinda smart because fats are loaded with energy when burned as a fuel source.

i would say drop the peanuts.

Lowering my omega 6 consumption isnt really an option since I need tons of red meat for the bulk. Sorry about the seeming calculation errors up there, what i meant by 1:2 or 1:1 leaning towards the o3 was after I added the fish oil supplementation to my diet. Also cant drop the peanuts, they are an easy way to pack on calories and protein.

Also I'd like to add that the megadosing of fish oil came about as an attempt to get 10g of DHA/EPA for performance purposes. The great effect it had on my skin were secondary and I hadn't attributed to it until i saw some research suggesting it might help.

#52 Bobby Digital

Bobby Digital

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 05:43 PM

well this is all very encouraging...i came back to this board the last couple weeks considering a new approach and this fish oil balancing method seems very promising so far. Im going to chart out my omega 6/3s now and hopefully be able to buy some fish oil tomorrow. I'll keep watch and check in when i've got my fish oil and have begun balancing.

#53 BcdG36

BcdG36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

Is it even feasible to balance the o6/o3 intake to a 1:1 ratio?
I mean, o6 is in practically all foods and there doesn't even
seem to be a way to balance it with o3 to a 1:1 without "overdosing"
on the o3. What would be the highest dosage (in grams) that
anyone here would take or have taken a day?

#54 BigBeauty

BigBeauty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(bber @ Feb 25 2007, 05:04 PM) View Post
Lowering my omega 6 consumption isnt really an option since I need tons of red meat for the bulk. Sorry about the seeming calculation errors up there, what i meant by 1:2 or 1:1 leaning towards the o3 was after I added the fish oil supplementation to my diet. Also cant drop the peanuts, they are an easy way to pack on calories and protein.

Also I'd like to add that the megadosing of fish oil came about as an attempt to get 10g of DHA/EPA for performance purposes. The great effect it had on my skin were secondary and I hadn't attributed to it until i saw some research suggesting it might help.

The problem with omega ratios in red meat and beef is because they are typically grain fed which isn't their natural diet. If you buy grass-fed beef instead, the ratio is much better and is infact can even be better than fish in some cases. The reason why fish is so good I think it comes down to is because most fish we eat have a natural diet. However, the omega ratios for farmed-fish are much more terrible.

Typically you can purchase grass-fed beef at organic/health food stores or online in bulk. Just google grass fed beef for various online sellers. The problem is grass-fed is probably at-least twice as expensive. However, typically grass-fed cattle also are raised much more naturally without tons of anti-biotics, etc pumped in, are free-range, not factory-farmed and hence much healthier overall regardless of the omega ratios. For more info check out http://www.eatwild.com/ .

#55 bber

bber

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(BigBeauty @ Feb 25 2007, 07:59 PM) View Post
QUOTE(bber @ Feb 25 2007, 05:04 PM) View Post

The problem with omega ratios in red meat and beef is because they are typically grain fed which isn't their natural diet. If you buy grass-fed beef instead, the ratio is much better and is infact can even be better than fish in some cases. The reason why fish is so good I think it comes down to is because most fish we eat have a natural diet. However, the omega ratios for farmed-fish are much more terrible.

Typically you can purchase grass-fed beef at organic/health food stores or online in bulk. Just google grass fed beef for various online sellers. The problem is grass-fed is probably at-least twice as expensive. However, typically grass-fed cattle also are raised much more naturally without tons of anti-biotics, etc pumped in, are free-range, not factory-farmed and hence much healthier overall regardless of the omega ratios. For more info check out http://www.eatwild.com/ .

Thanks for the heads up on grass-fed cattle. I had actually looked into it but I found it to be too expensive considering the amount of beef i eat every day.

#56 bber

bber

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(bcdg @ Feb 25 2007, 07:31 PM) View Post
Is it even feasible to balance the o6/o3 intake to a 1:1 ratio?
I mean, o6 is in practically all foods and there doesn't even
seem to be a way to balance it with o3 to a 1:1 without "overdosing"
on the o3. What would be the highest dosage (in grams) that
anyone here would take or have taken a day?

28grams is the highest i've taken, in the days i get in 7 meals.

#57 AndOceans109

AndOceans109

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:20 PM

so in a typical day i eat: 1-2 eggs, 3-5 carrots, 8-10 apples, a salad, a little bit of other vegetables, a good amt of meat (turkey and/or beef and/or ham), a slice or 2 of cheese maybe, can or 2 of progresso soup, a lemon, some other fruits, some other stuff but the previous is mostly it..all that and the vitamins and supplements i take. i've been taking a few 1000mg fish oil capsules for the last few days..when i get time (prob tmrw or the next day), i'll look everything up. but from the things listed, what do you think my ratio would be of 6/3 approx without the fish oil im currently taking

#58 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:38 PM

To be brutily honest, I never heard of Omega 6 until I came to the org. What is Omega 6?

#59 xtr3m

xtr3m

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

Just so you know...

Health risks

In a letter dated October 31, 2000 entitled Letter Regarding Dietary Supplement Health Claim for omega-3 Fatty Acids and Coronary Heart Disease, the United States Food and Drug Administration Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling, and Dietary Supplements noted that the known or suspected risks of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may include:

* Oxidation of omega-3 fatty acids forming biologically active oxidation products
* Increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol or apoproteins associated with LDL cholesterol among diabetics and hyperlipidemics
* Suppression of immune and inflammation responses, and consequently, to decreased resistance to infections and increased susceptibility to opportunistic bacteria

The following risks have been attributed to the FDA but are not mentioned in the above letter:

* A significant potential risk is the possibility of vitamin poisoning from taking large doses of supplements which contain large quantities of vitamins (particularly vitamin A) in addition to omega-3 fatty acids. For this reason, the primary source of omega-3, if taken as a supplement, should be from fish body oil and not from a fish liver based oil.

#60 bber

bber

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE(xtr3m @ Feb 25 2007, 11:42 PM) View Post
Just so you know...

Health risks

In a letter dated October 31, 2000 entitled Letter Regarding Dietary Supplement Health Claim for omega-3 Fatty Acids and Coronary Heart Disease, the United States Food and Drug Administration Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling, and Dietary Supplements noted that the known or suspected risks of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids may include:

The following risks have been attributed to the FDA but are not mentioned in the above letter:

* A significant potential risk is the possibility of vitamin poisoning from taking large doses of supplements which contain large quantities of vitamins (particularly vitamin A) in addition to omega-3 fatty acids. For this reason, the primary source of omega-3, if taken as a supplement, should be from fish body oil and not from a fish liver based oil.

That's been posted in this thread already. And two things that i'd like to know is A)How do they come up with an absolute quantity when all toxicity levels are determined in quantities of mg/kg or any other measurement unit dependent upon bodyweight of the subject. And B) which of those effects are "suspected" and which are "known"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users