3397 replies to this topic

#3381 Bearishly

Bearishly

Food is medicine that tastes good

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

I've been taking strong Omega 3 fish oil supplements (one per day) for a few months now, and I'm impressed by them. I have had far less new acne since I started taking them, but to be honest I can't be sure whether that is because of them or some other factor.

I have a question though, that I think is better suited to this thread than creating a whole new one. I'm bothered about how they are called "Omega 3 FATTY acids". I am a tad overweight and on a diet designed to steadily lose weight over time but should I stop taking the fish oil? I know not all fats are bad but, I'm trying really hard to not eat badly and really struggle with controlling my appetite so I would be horrified if all of my effort is being wasted because I'm taking these fish oil capsules!

According to the label each capsule has 1300mg of fish oil, 351mg of EPA and 234mg of DHA.

Sorry for my ignorance on this, any advice would be appreciated.

The short version:
fat good, carbohydrates bad

There are far more uses for fat in your body than there are for carbohydrates. There is only one use for carbohydrates: the creation of insulin. Fat, protein, and carbs can all be converted into insulin, but because there's literally nothing else your body can do with carbohydrates, it all either gets flushed out (fiber) or it gets turned into insulin. When we have too much insulin, it gets converted in body fat.

Fat on the other hand, can be broken down and used to repair a wide variety of cells in your body.

That said, if you eat too much of anything, it will be converted into insulin, then body fat. You don't want to eat too much fat, but you're far better off taking fish oil and skipping your grain-based snack than dropping the fish oil.

Edited by Bearishly, 03 October 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#3382 sirios

sirios

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

I would add that there are good fats and bad fats. The vegetable fats you find in processed products are obviously bad and you should limit them if you want to lose weight. The ones found in food like fish etc. are supposed to be good.

#3383 skintone

skintone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

Thanks to the above two posters for the help :)

#3384 Bearishly

Bearishly

Food is medicine that tastes good

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

I would add that there are good fats and bad fats. The vegetable fats you find in processed products are obviously bad and you should limit them if you want to lose weight. The ones found in food like fish etc. are supposed to be good.

Thanks for the assist. It's easy to forget stuff like this when you're at work Posted Image

#3385 King Curtis

King Curtis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Everything

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

i have question about fish oils and zinc medications. i'm new here and i have acne, i dont take any medicines. my skin doesn't oild much but it gets dry. will fish oil help with my skin? and will it prevent future acne? and how about zinc? they are both inflammatory so i'm wondering if i need to buy both of them and take them together, they look pretty much the same.

#3386 fjshadowz

fjshadowz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

does cod liver oil have fatty acids 3 , 6 and 9 ?

#3387 callendula

callendula

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

I am not 100% sure on the cod oil, but flax has them. Ok, just looked up twinlab cod liver oil and it is only showing omega 3. Hope that helps.

i have question about fish oils and zinc medications. i'm new here and i have acne, i dont take any medicines. my skin doesn't oild much but it gets dry. will fish oil help with my skin? and will it prevent future acne? and how about zinc? they are both inflammatory so i'm wondering if i need to buy both of them and take them together, they look pretty much the same.

Zinc is a non inflammatory and I have seen improvement with acne while using it, but be careful on the dose. High doses for long periods of time can supress your immune system. As far as fish oil, as a non inflammatory it could help with acne. Depends on what type of acne you have. Since everyone is different, it's more or less a trial and error to see if works on a particular individual or not. :)

Edited by callendula, 22 October 2012 - 01:06 PM.

#3388 narusu

narusu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

I take fish oil everyday and it doesn't help with dry skin. Zinc helps control my acne.

*Moderator edit - No advertising - Read the board rules!*

#3389 healthywomen

healthywomen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I really wonder about fish oil supplements. Especially with Ray Peat's researching showing the opposite benefits.

#3390 Clarice12345

Clarice12345

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

i've been doing both fish oil and omega 3-6-9. personally prefer omega 3-6-9 because it's three in one. 

I get my brand at Esmond Natural. 

Edited by Clarice12345, 31 January 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#3391 Listener

Listener

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

I've been taking strong Omega 3 fish oil supplements (one per day) for a few months now, and I'm impressed by them. I have had far less new acne since I started taking them, but to be honest I can't be sure whether that is because of them or some other factor.

I have a question though, that I think is better suited to this thread than creating a whole new one. I'm bothered about how they are called "Omega 3 FATTY acids". I am a tad overweight and on a diet designed to steadily lose weight over time but should I stop taking the fish oil? I know not all fats are bad but, I'm trying really hard to not eat badly and really struggle with controlling my appetite so I would be horrified if all of my effort is being wasted because I'm taking these fish oil capsules!

According to the label each capsule has 1300mg of fish oil, 351mg of EPA and 234mg of DHA.

Sorry for my ignorance on this, any advice would be appreciated.

The short version:
fat good, carbohydrates bad

There are far more uses for fat in your body than there are for carbohydrates. There is only one use for carbohydrates: the creation of insulin. Fat, protein, and carbs can all be converted into insulin, but because there's literally nothing else your body can do with carbohydrates, it all either gets flushed out (fiber) or it gets turned into insulin. When we have too much insulin, it gets converted in body fat.

Fat on the other hand, can be broken down and used to repair a wide variety of cells in your body.

That said, if you eat too much of anything, it will be converted into insulin, then body fat. You don't want to eat too much fat, but you're far better off taking fish oil and skipping your grain-based snack than dropping the fish oil.

Bearishly,

The 'science' you have just stated about insulin and carbs is about as far from scientifically accurate as possible. Please go read up on the subject. You have COMPLETELY misunderstood this topic.

Regards,

Listener

#3392 HenryA6

HenryA6

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Yes, it has 1,860 mg of Omega 6 and 19,710 mg of Omega 3 in 100 grams of oil.

You can find Omega 3 and Omega 6 contents of many other foods here:

http://dietgrail.com...-omega-6-ratio/

#3393 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

can anybody tell about the omega6/omega 3 ratio of pumpkin seeds(soaked in salt water,dried and dry roasted/tossed)??

the link above shows its 125.0.

how is that okay when ps is suppose to have good amount of oleic acid?

#3394 Bengal Boss

Bengal Boss

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

The link sounds about right for the pumpkin seeds. They generally have a lot of omega 6s and very little omega 3s.

#3395 doodleme123

doodleme123

Test Subject

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

On the subject of Omega oils from fish via supplements and the recent studies claiming them to cause cancer:

Check out the posts by Lionel Martin Trx Rkc, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, huh?

http://www.huffingto..._b_3659735.html

And:

http://www.bodybuild...ate-cancer.html

Edited by doodleme123, 27 August 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#3396 nikkimixam

nikkimixam

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE(anony12 @ Feb 24 2007, 02:36 PM) View Post
i used to have really oily skin until i started taking omega 3's as well. i started out with flax and have switched to fish oil since

flax does not have epa or dha which are potent acne fighters, plus it contains oleic acid(omega 9) and linoleic acid(omega 6) linoliec acid is really bad for acne.

fish oil is absolutely perfect for what our bodys need.

I read that flax oil has the perfect 3 to 6 omega ratio. One of the more superior oils. Is this not correct? ?

#3397 judgenot

judgenot

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:55 AM

I have a question about this with fish oil.

Does it have to be an all natural fish oil, that only have fish oil as ingridient?

Cause i cant find no fish oil where i live without a bunch of funny stuff in it :(

#3398 MartinD2

MartinD2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:38 AM

I like omega-3 supps. I don't really care does it work or not, It's good for your health especially if you workout.rolleyes.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users