Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can you exfoliate while on accutane?

13 posts in this topic

I definately wouldn't. Your skin is super thin and sensitive on accutane. Doing so might cause scarring and damage your skin permanantly. I'd wait a month or two post-tane to start exfoliating.

Acne Since: 13, cleared 15-18 and came back in college

Treatment History: every topical and antibiotic under the sun.

60mg Accutane Course 10/05-4/06. Acne Returned Sept. 06

Currently: Accutane round 2: 1/07-7/07

Yasmin BC started 1/07

Regimen: Purpose Gentle Cleanser

Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

I definately wouldn't. Your skin is super thin and sensitive on accutane. Doing so might cause scarring and damage your skin permanantly. I'd wait a month or two post-tane to start exfoliating.

I used a soft washcloth wetted with warm water to gently remove some flakes, and i wouldn't use anything abrasive that's stronger than that, or any chemical exfoliants at all.

Currently - all clear!

Maintaining my last Accutane course (10/05-04/06) click here for log

Yasmin on Seasonale schedule

Green Cream lvl 6

Shiseido White Lucent system

(cleanser, and SPF 16 moisturizer (no way, SPF that doesn't sting!?))

I see your regimen. How does the cetaphil cream work for you

Acne Since: 13, cleared 15-18 and came back in college

Treatment History: every topical and antibiotic under the sun.

60mg Accutane Course 10/05-4/06. Acne Returned Sept. 06

Currently: Accutane round 2: 1/07-7/07

Yasmin BC started 1/07

Regimen: Purpose Gentle Cleanser

Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

This morning I absolutely HAD to exfoliate my face, it has become soooo flaky. I have the exfoliating gloves from the Body Shop.

I got the glove wet and VERY GENTLY rubbed my face using aqueous cream. I was careful to avoid any spots and I have to say, it has made all the difference. Apart from a few scaley areas (I didnt want to scrub hard enough to remove this), all the dry flaky skin had gone and was very smooth. Straight after exfoliating, I patted dry and applied more aqueous cream. I think the cream soaked in more effectively with all the dead skin taken off.

I was VERY gentle and my skin remained its usual bright red colour, but it wasnt irritated or stingy afterwards (and my skin has been horrendously sensitive for the last couple of days)

so i had an exfoliating emergency (i had a date in about an hour) and my entire face was completely flaky. i definitely couldn't apply makeup on my face with all that flaky skin so i resorted to using avene gentle facial exfoliate and it worked like a dream.

no flaky skin and i immediately applied moisturizer afterward.

you do have to take in mind that i don't have active zits on my face. i'm close to being completely clear and on 60 mg of accutane. i don't know if the same would apply to someone who had a lot of active zits.

what if you have a good amount of active zits, but you are not on accutane? Is it safe to exfoliate than?