Photo

Whitening toothpaste and acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 67
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:59 AM

I read that whitening flouride toothpaste can be a cause of chin acne/acne around the mouth and such. Has anyone noticed that by switching to a non fluoride, your acne has improved? Im going to try that this week I think...

#2 User15978

User15978

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:43 AM

I wouldnt have a clue. I never ever let the toothpaste drip onto my chin. Probably the best would be to not to let the toothpaste in that area biggrin.gif

#3 ~jess~

~jess~

Formally Listen2cky

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:39 AM

Gah! Really? That sucks, we have flouride added in our water in australia. maybe thats making my skin worse, because i wash my face with it shock.gif

#4 daanzell

daanzell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:02 AM

QUOTE(listen2cky @ Feb 16 2007, 09:39 PM) View Post
Gah! Really? That sucks, we have flouride added in our water in australia. maybe thats making my skin worse, because i wash my face with it shock.gif

Yeah i've heard fluoride is toxic. Could be causing us allergic reactions on our face, when we wash. The chlorine could actually be the culprit, Chlorine's even worse, especially for drinking, but I won't sidetrack.

#5 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE(`tash @ Feb 16 2007, 03:43 AM) View Post
I wouldnt have a clue. I never ever let the toothpaste drip onto my chin. Probably the best would be to not to let the toothpaste in that area biggrin.gif

The thing is, I read that it has nothing to do with toothpaste getting on your actual skin.. just a reaction your skin gets when you brush or something (strange, I know).. in fact, I read on a few sites that it can even spread maybe to your cheeks.. but the problem is mainly in the chin area and around the mouth.

#6 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:31 PM

Do you have a link, Mandy? I'd be very curious to see their rationale ....

#7 aerine

aerine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:46 PM

i thought the water in the pool always helped my face

#8 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE(aerine @ Feb 16 2007, 02:46 PM) View Post
i thought the water in the pool always helped my face

Huh? I think you might be confusing chlorine with fluoride lol.. and I think people are confusing fluorine with fluoride.. unless there is no difference.

Heres some links Lionqueen biggrin.gif
One study done on it

I just kind of browsed around on google lol.. in one of my beauty books I have here, it mentioned it too. shrug.gif

#9 Константин

Константин

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

Loads of places add flurine to the drinking water, its acctually to help with your dental care! helps to kill germs etc. The amounts of flurine in drinking water are very very small, which is good because it is very toxic to every living thing.

aerine - I would acctually be very surprised if it was the chlorine that helps your face, It most likely to be the urine in the water, urine is very very sterile and can be used for cleaning. Sound nasty

#10 Creedlover

Creedlover

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

Hey mandy, maybe im crazy, but do you know of any brands that make non-flouride toothpaste. I dont remember seeing any at the store, but than again i could be wrong, i normally just grab one and go, haha.

#11 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:22 PM

^haha same here.. im actually not to sure! I know health food places would have natural non flouride toothpastes though shrug.gif

#12 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 04:29 PM

Tom's of Maine, possibly .... you might even be able to get that on drugstore.com

#13 Spott

Spott

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

I am here to save the day! You are looking at the Acne.org Fluoride/Sodium Lauryl Sulfate Acne Correlation expert! I did some in depth studying on the subject, and decided to switch to a fluoride free toothpaste. I would not recommend toms of maine, because it's hard to find one that doesn't have fluoride in it, and they are all made with SLS. However, the toothpaste I use is J/A/S/O/N Organics PowerSmile toothpaste. It's fluoride free, and SLS free, and contains organic whiteners to gently and naturally whiten your teeth. It's flavored with peppermint oil, which makes it a delcious minty to the max experience every time I use it. It's not expensive either, and one tube will last a long time. I would recommend it to everyone, and it's even available on drugstore.com for a good price, and it's got some great reviews. I'd like everyone to give it a try, because I used to have horrible chin breakouts until I switched to a fluoride free toothpaste. I dont think it's a matter of it dripping onto your chin, it's more of an issue of leeching into your gums and inflaming your chin area, I think. I also noticed I stopped breaking out on my forehead once I switched to an SLS free shampoo. So, what are you waiting for? What do you have to loose? Give it a try smile.gif

PS: If anyone has any questions regarding fluoride, flouride free toothpastes, SLS, or SLS free products, please feel free to PM me, I'm always open to give advice.

#14 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:47 PM

Thank you so much Spott biggrin.gif

#15 Spott

Spott

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:47 AM

Always a pleasure, mandy.

#16 BelleDeJour88

BelleDeJour88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:32 AM

Yes, I've heard that getting whitening toothpaste of your face can make you break out. So can those gel pastes.