Photo

How effective is OBAGI for acne scars?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 lia77

lia77

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:03 PM

I just got my obagi kit coz my derm recommended it and a lot of people have really sworn to the product. Now has anybody here tried OBAGI products? Pls share any experiences or insights...im really hoping that this will solve my problems on my scars.

Can it really fade red acne marks? Til how long did you see the results?

How about pitted ones? Will i see improvement too?

btw, my kit contains the Cleanser, Toner, Clear, Exfoderm Forte, Blender, Sunblock..

#2 beserker

beserker

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:41 PM

It'll help with the redness, but it will take a long time and your face will be red and glowing. You'll need redtin-a also to be more effective. Some people will shed like a snake...

#3 lia77

lia77

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:51 PM

i dont think i will peel so bad anymore...coz ive been using tretinoin 0.025% since may, and it has been 6 mos since i started tretinoin. now my derm told me to use stiva forte .1% (which is stronger) together with the blender. she told me that i wouldnt expect that much peeling anymore since my face is not a tretinoin "virgin".. now that really worries me coz without those really BIG peels, will my scars take long to heal?

I asked my derm about it but shes really positive about me using OBAGI...so i bought the kit, coz i think she knows better. she uses the line too.

berserker: have u tried the obagi system too? how was it? pls share =P~

#4 sickofscars

sickofscars

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2003 - 08:59 PM

i used Obagi for like 4-6 months and it just made my face VERY red and flake. it didn't help my scars. i also think it's very expensive for something that doesn't work. my scars are deep so if yours are shallow, it may help you.

#5 Littlefingers

Littlefingers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:16 PM

I used Obagi, and it did not fade all of my redmarks. I used it for months while getting microdermabrasions. I am sure it improved some redmarks, but NOT all. It definitely was not worth it. One of the Obagi products in the kit caused me to break out with blackheads all over.-leading me to discontinue use of all obagi products. The blackheads stopped and went away right after I stopped obagi. A lot of people have complained about the blackheads they got while on obagi. My plastic surgeons office was all using obagi products but they all had flawless skin anyway. Obagi products and obagi peels do nothing for indents.
I had more improvment using BP and mandelic acid in 2wks then what obagi did for me in months

#6 dcychanhk

dcychanhk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2003 - 02:51 AM

what does BP stand for ? thank you

#7 dcychanhk

dcychanhk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:01 AM

did blue peel / blue peel products improve your skin texture ?

#8 Littlefingers

Littlefingers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:52 AM

BP=benzoyl peroxide; I use it to control acne
Obagi products did not do much for my skin. Like I said I got blackheards on my cheeks and forehead-Blackheads were never a problem for me until obagi. My skin texture might have been more smooth, but not smooth enough to want blackheads from the deal. I never got the blue peel done. Smartest decision I made. A few patients at my plastic surgeons office received the blue peel and there face was glowing after about 1week. After a month everything went back to the way it was before. Obagi is very expensive and its just not worth the money for what it does. Obagi is good for people who have money and have almost flawless skin to begin with.

#9 pongwench

pongwench

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2003 - 11:54 AM

I have to say that I disagree with most of you. I've been using Obagi for almost 2 months now, and I definitely didn't have flawless skin to begin with (rolling & ice pick scars, large pores, red spots from past breakouts, uneven skin tone, etc., etc.). My skin is overall more smooth and even, with fewer blackheads, less oil, and no breakouts (even around my chin area, which has always been a major problem for me). My scars are less noticeable -- my bf says that whereas before, my skin had a general orange-peel like appearence, now he just notices the individual scars (which have also gotten better). I can look in mirrors in fluorescent-lit rooms without cringing, I've totally eliminated the lines underneath my eyes, even my black circles seem less noticeable. The amount of skin that has nothing wrong with it has grown, if that makes any sense.

I'm totally happy with the system -- just bought more Clear (the stuff that runs out the fastest). I haven't been keeping up with the retin-a so well lately (I've been sick, so I kinda collapse when I get home from work...bad Kristin!), so it's been even easier to see the difference that the system has made in my skin tone (no redness/peeling lately). Of course, no one product or system works the same for everyone, but this has been totally worth it for me.

lia -- I think that the peeling is an important part of the process. I think going up to the .1% will probably cause you some peeling. I'm on the .1% retin-a micro now, and my aesthetician just told me last week that she thought it'd be a good idea to use 1 gram instead of a 1/2 gram w/ the Blender, which definitely accelerated the peeling process (I didn't really think it'd make that much of a difference, but it did).

Good luck!

-kristin

#10 Sam

Sam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2003 - 05:00 PM

I agree with pongwench,the obagi is working wonders for my scars and i have very severe acne scarring,deep scars and ice pick scars.
I must have every scar mentioned and the obagi is fading every one of them,even the ice picks.
I have been using the obagi for about a year which is a slow process but i think this time next year my scars may have faded as to where i am happy.
I use retinova 0.05% cream which does not make my face red nor does it peel me much but it is fading the scar faster than the retin-a gel which was only 0.025%.
Lia77,u do not have to peel to fade the scar as my derm told me and they were right,my scars r fading much faster since i have started using the retinova but with the retin-a get i peeled alot with a red face but not much improvement on my scars.
Like pongwench said products work for some people but not for others so try it and if it dosn't work for u then u will have to fine another product.
Good luck,hope it works.

#11 smilingeyes

smilingeyes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2003 - 05:22 PM

sam and pongwench........what type of skin do you have? Are you fair or darker skinned?

I'm curious because I used to go for microdermabrasions at a plastic surgeons office where they carried both the Obagi line and Biomedic and they recommended me to do the Biomedic. Now, I never asked them why but I would be curious to know if other products were carried in the offices that are selling you the Obagi.....

#12 Littlefingers

Littlefingers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2003 - 05:38 PM

My plastic surgeon also carried Biomedic along with obagi. I actually love the Biomedic SA wash.
Either the clear or exfoderm in Obagi kit caused black heads so use those two carefully. Also Obagi is expensive and you can find all the same products with different label much cheaper.
Note, its not meant for indented scars.

#13 pongwench

pongwench

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2003 - 05:54 PM

I'm very fair -- good old pale Irish skin. wink.gif

I know that the place that recommended Obagi to me carries another skin care line, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was -- could be biomedic, but it also might be MD forte. I'll look next time I'm there...

-kristin

#14 lia77

lia77

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:44 PM

thanks for the replies...i am oriental asian(NOT chinese/korean/japanese)

well my skin is not that bad ANYMORE since as ive said i was in treatment for 6mos wid tretinoin,kojic,aha...so i got the OBAGI hoping that it could really improve my skin's texture and make my scars less noticeable...i still have some redmarks which takes a looong time to disappear and i thougth obagi will help them go away faster..

its my 4th day of the regimen and my skin looks fair and rosy as usual, no heavy redness and peel, though i can see some signs of very light micro peeling overall. but still i can see those scars on my cheeks (if i inspect myself upclose in the mirror) and the stubborn redmarks on my chin and on my right cheek. so far, i dont have any negative reactions with obagi...hope the final result is worth it, though.

#15 Sam

Sam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:03 PM

Smilingeyes,i am fair -- good old english skin.

I used md forte products first but they were a waste of money,i then asked about obagi and i tried it.
I think the obagi is working wonders for me and i'm glad i found something that works for me.
I never went to there clinic as i live in uk,i ordered it on the net at www.skintrigue.com and yes they sell all kinds of products.

#16 hols

hols

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2003 - 04:22 PM

I used Obagi for years and years and to tell you the truth I think I wasted a lot of money on that system. The improvement that people are seeing in their skin texture is from the retin A, not Obagi. It might help a bit with the red marks because it has hydroquinone in it but the majority of the work is done by good 'ol retin A. My buck fiddy, folks.

#17 smilingeyes

smilingeyes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2003 - 04:22 PM

Thanks Sam.......I'm 1/2 Japanese and I'm wondering if that's why the clinic wanted me to use the Biomedic line instead of Obagi. It's all so confusing!!!!!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

#18 Sam

Sam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2003 - 10:50 AM

Sorry smilingeyes i forgot to mention my scars,i must have every scar named rolling, ice pic, box and even scars from surgery.
I suffered from severe acne when i got arthritis which left me with very bad scars.
Hols,u r wrong with the retin-a,i used retin-a for years and it did nothing to help improve my scars,i use retinova cream 0.05% with the obagi.
The blender is the main one in the obagi cycle that is making my scars fade.
I read on this board that someone mentioned retin-a can give u cycts which r the worst for scarring and the Dr's were looking into this.

#19 Littlefingers

Littlefingers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2003 - 11:11 AM

If I remember my Obagi correctly the blender is hydroquinone (4%). Dr. Obagi claims his version helps stimulate the retin-a. His version is also WAY over prized and his version of hydroquinone was no better then the cheaper stuff.

#20 hols

hols

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2003 - 01:05 PM

Hi Sam,
Well, I still stand that it's the retin A that helps with skin texture. That is a documented fact in studies. As far as getting cysts from Retin A, yes there is an ingredient in the cream that can be problematic to acne-prone skin, but if you get the Retin A micro gel that should take care of that. I agree that Obagi helps with pigmentation—but that is only because of the hydroquinone. Obagi, by itself does nothing for scars, IMO. The products are WAY overpriced. I'm glad you're getting results, though.