Photo

Why do some people who have oily skin never get acne?

oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:20 PM

There are so many people that always have a huge sheen of oily skin on their face, yet are crystal clear. We've all seen people like that. But why does it happen?

My theory is... that since acne is because of oil AND dead skin cells, they don't get it because their face is free of them, as opposed to ours which isn't due to many dead skin cells from the use of acne products etc?

Am I onto something? What do you think?

Or because their skin is less prone to acne because their skin is more healthy?

#2 fugi123

fugi123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Feb 8 2007, 12:20 AM) View Post
There are so many people that always have a huge sheen of oily skin on their face, yet are crystal clear. We've all seen people like that. But why does it happen?

My theory is... that since acne is because of oil AND dead skin cells, they don't get it because their face is free of them, as opposed to ours which isn't due to many dead skin cells from the use of acne products etc?

Am I onto something? What do you think?

Or because their skin is less prone to acne because their skin is more healthy?

you got it

#3 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

Oil is only one factor in acne ..... skin cells that don't shed properly are the real culprit, IMO.

#4 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2007 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(LionQueen @ Feb 8 2007, 07:23 PM) View Post
Oil is only one factor in acne ..... skin cells that don't shed properly are the real culprit, IMO.

Thank you very much! I am starting to come to this conclusion too. I can see how this totally adds up and makes sense, like a light bulb in my head. Wow, now I can focus on what's most important. I'm excited!

#5 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

To elaborate a bit on LQ's answer:

There are several factors to acne, and oil is only a contributing factor, not the real cause. The skin of acne sufferers has a specific set of abnormalities - abnormal desquamation and keratinization being foremost imo. Abnormal desquamation means that the cells that line the pore slough off into the pore much too fast, and abnormal keratinization means that the pore produces too much keratin (the substance that makes fingernails hard) and this combines with unusually sticky sebum to produce blockages to form in the pores. This creates an anaerobic (low oxygen) environment under the clog that allows the natural bacterial populations to skyrocket, and this activity produces inflammation. If those clogs didn't happen, the oil would just exit to the surface and no acne would form.

Topical retinoids can help to regulate the abnormalities in the pores (as does Accutane), and chemical exfoliants can help to unclog the blockages from the top. Antibiotics have an anti-inflammatory effect and can decrease bacterial activity, and BP reduces bacteria by introducing oxygen which hampers their reproduction.

#6 Ariventa

Ariventa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

Seconding (thirding?) what others have said. Acne starts with a clogged pore. Whether it be a papule, pustule, blackhead, whitehead, whatever. The person with the oiliest skin in the world can have perfectly clear skin as long as their pores stay unblocked. IMO, oily skin just compounds the problem and increases the potential for more severe acne. Personally, I do not have oily skin, but I'm prone to comedonal acne. My skin doesn't shed properly (possibly because my skin is naturally on the dry side).

#7 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(beentheredonethat @ Feb 9 2007, 10:06 AM) View Post
To elaborate a bit on LQ's answer:

There are several factors to acne, and oil is only a contributing factor, not the real cause. The skin of acne sufferers has a specific set of abnormalities - abnormal desquamation and keratinization being foremost imo. Abnormal desquamation means that the cells that line the pore slough off into the pore much too fast, and abnormal keratinization means that the pore produces too much keratin (the substance that makes fingernails hard) and this combines with unusually sticky sebum to produce blockages to form in the pores. This creates an anaerobic (low oxygen) environment under the clog that allows the natural bacterial populations to skyrocket, and this activity produces inflammation. If those clogs didn't happen, the oil would just exit to the surface and no acne would form.

Topical retinoids can help to regulate the abnormalities in the pores (as does Accutane), and chemical exfoliants can help to unclog the blockages from the top. Antibiotics have an anti-inflammatory effect and can decrease bacterial activity, and BP reduces bacteria by introducing oxygen which hampers their reproduction.

That is amazing information, how did you know all this? I re-read it all till I understood it all, amazing. Thank you for posting that, I'm definitely keeping this information!

#8 jackyb

jackyb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2007 - 04:53 PM

Then if dead skin is a contributer to acne, wouldn't exfoliating help acne more than cleansing?

#9 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(jackyb @ Feb 9 2007, 04:53 PM) View Post
Then if dead skin is a contributer to acne, wouldn't exfoliating help acne more than cleansing?

you pretty much answered your own question. You need both. gentle exfoliation with a face exfoliation brush and cleansing, one without the other is an incomplete method to cleanse effectively for the sake of acne =)

#10 primo1

primo1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:11 AM

Don't forget that acne is a sign that something's wrong inside your body. It may be an imbalance, sensitivities, etc... That's why some people who are homeless and does not wash or put anything on their face at all still have dirty BUT clear skin. We are all different; different causes for every individual. There are thousands of reasons as to why we have acne and dead skin cells is JUST one of them. <-- some people exfoliates but STILL get acne. But exfoliating is an important method to do whether you are clear or not anyways.

#11 It's Lauren yo

It's Lauren yo

<3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

yes just to prove this..i have oily skin all over my face but i usually just get pimples on my chin and sometimes jawline.

#12 twee

twee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:02 PM

I have acne and very oily face=(. But oil-absorbing sheets can help! But then the oilness just come back again =(... lols =/

#13 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE(twee @ Feb 11 2007, 02:02 PM) View Post
I have acne and very oily face=(. But oil-absorbing sheets can help! But then the oilness just come back again =(... lols =/

I do too. But for a week I've done daily gentle exfoliation with the baby hair brush, and it's helped SO much that I just feel another person's skin on me. It's so soft, it can breathe, and doesn't look dry or dead. The oil on my face doesn't affect me much anymore smile.gif Awesome! So I use the oil absorbing sheets the same, but now I actually have even, healthy looking, skin that gleams instead of dull looking skin that looks blotchy.

#14 sel1509

sel1509

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

In my experience, during highschool and just after my face was SUPER oily, from about 14-20 years old. I had to use face wipes midday and then my face would be super oily again by the time i got home at 4pm. I always cleansed twice a day with an oil-free cleanser. If i didn't use the wipes or at least rinse my face with just plain luke warm water during the day i would develop more whitehead pimples. Around 21 my face began to reduce oil and when 23/24 yrs old it was great though i would always have the odd one or two pimples a week. Now at 25, over the past six months i have no problem with oily skin but started breaking out in huge sore deep pimples on the lower part of my face and cheeks area, that never came to a head and left scars. Now i am on Isotane, the New Zealand version of Accutane it seems. For me, having oily skin did not mean i was acne free, when i look back now i really should have seen a dermatologist way back then because the amount of oil was not normal. I also recommend Isotane to any other New Zealanders considering this medication for acne. Expect at least a two month wait to get an appointment in NZ, and you will need to be patient as it takes about two months to see Isotane results. See www.isotane.co.nz

#15 ben100604

ben100604

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:49 AM

To be honest, I've only seen a handful of people with oily skin (including my self) and only one of them was acne free. It's a question of genetics, as people above have said, and perhaps some people only have oily skin, but not problems with keratinization of the skin.

#16 LostCause

LostCause

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(ben100604 @ Feb 13 2007, 06:49 PM) View Post
To be honest, I've only seen a handful of people with oily skin (including my self) and only one of them was acne free. It's a question of genetics, as people above have said, and perhaps some people only have oily skin, but not problems with keratinization of the skin.

I know this for a fact, I used to have so many whiteheads, but ever since I used retin-a and my skin shedded as a mother/ they are a thing of the past.
I suppose that if this happens naturally you don't have a lot to worry about.

#17 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:53 PM

Physical exfoliation (scrubbing) really only removes dead skin at the surface and can cause irritation which can exacerbate acne. That's why products like retinoids are recommended, it is active deeper in the pore and can help to normalize desquamation and keratinization.

#18 primo1

primo1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

The problem with topical medications such as retinoids is it only "masks" the problem from the inside. I know this from my experience with retin-a, it took me 2 months to clear me up and I stopped using it after being clear.. then like a week later, all hell broke lose! I started getting severe acnes on both of my cheeks where it should only be mild in the first place! My skin transformed from mild to severe! I wouldn't rely on my retinoids ever again!! So if retin-a, etc. is working for you, then I suggest don't stop it too soon. We have problems with skin's desquamation and something is causing that internally.

#19 LostCause

LostCause

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

I use retin-a for a couple of days every once in a while and I stay clear for weeks after.

Note: only reason I got acne is cause of my oily skin and clogged pores, so retin-a is basically my salvation since it does
exactly that to stop my acne.

#20 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:26 PM

it took me 2 months to clear me up and I stopped using it after being clear.. then like a week later, all hell broke lose!

I have never understood why people think that they should stop their topicals after the topicals clear them. The underlying tendency towards abnormal desquamation and keratinization is only corrected as long as you keep using the retinoid, unless you use isotretinoin - a systemic retinoid that somehow continues to work long after treatment is over for many people.