Photo

Best Soap/Detergent to use when showering in Hard Water

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 fireball_from_iceland

fireball_from_iceland

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:08 PM

I have very hard water and I have learned that hard water and soap react to form a SCUM on you skin that cannot be removed with water. This scum essentially creates a film or layer over your skin and clogs pores... causes bacteria to grow... hence, my acne. I went weeks w/o showering and cleared up. My facial infections are not acne in the traditional sense, but caused more directly by this hard water scum. If I can prevent the scum from forming, I hope to get rid of my acne.

I've read that synthetic detergents, like Irish Sport and Dial etc are best to use w/ hard water. Apparently, they use derivatives of EDTA and Sodium Carbonate to essentially attached to the minerals in hard water and prevent them from sticking to your skin and forming the scum. About 85% of US households have hard water, so I was hoping someone else on here may have some experience in this area and be able to suggest a proper soap to use. Otherwise, I'm just going to try them all out, but that will be a hassle! So help a brother out, aight. Thanks!

#2 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE(fireball_from_iceland @ Feb 1 2007, 09:08 PM) View Post
I have very hard water and I have learned that hard water and soap react to form a SCUM on you skin that cannot be removed with water. This scum essentially creates a film or layer over your skin and clogs pores... causes bacteria to grow... hence, my acne. I went weeks w/o showering and cleared up. My facial infections are not acne in the traditional sense, but caused more directly by this hard water scum. If I can prevent the scum from forming, I hope to get rid of my acne.

I've read that synthetic detergents, like Irish Sport and Dial etc are best to use w/ hard water. Apparently, they use derivatives of EDTA and Sodium Carbonate to essentially attached to the minerals in hard water and prevent them from sticking to your skin and forming the scum. About 85% of US households have hard water, so I was hoping someone else on here may have some experience in this area and be able to suggest a proper soap to use. Otherwise, I'm just going to try them all out, but that will be a hassle! So help a brother out, aight. Thanks!

Dial should not go on your face or your body! No soap like that at all. Use a body wash, or gentle soap like dove. Never hand soaps or soap like that in general!
Gone out of the country July 5th to August 5th

Finally Clear! < Click link for regimen
People always think the key to fighting acne is to avoid foods, but in actually it's usually what they're NOT eating that's causing it to happen. It made no sense to start with omitting the small things that MAY cause acne for SOME people. Start with the basics of nutrition. You're a human, not an accumulation of minor problems from every person! Not everyone reacts to the same foods. Not everyone has issues with wheat and such foods. Start with the basics of good nutrition and THEN see what happens, omit foods once you feel something is not working, but don't base a diet off of what to avoid, that will make you malnourished and very depressed when you have nothing left to eat! It is true that some people have issues with some foods, but remember, try it for yourself first :)

Get to the root of the problem, because acne has a relentless and endless arsenal on the surface and it is sadistic.

Testosterone is a steroid hormone from the androgen group. Omega 3 fatty acids can also help to keep the production of androgens under control. Androgens are hormones that influence sebum production and are particularly active during adolescence, which is possibly why many teenagers suffer from acne. Androgen excess may provoke or aggravate acne by inducing seborrhea (sebum). In women, androgen disorders are frequently suspected when acne is accompanied by hirsutism or irregularities of the menstrual cycle. In men, however, acne may be the only sign of androgen excess.

#3 fireball_from_iceland

fireball_from_iceland

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE(xxndnromeoxx @ Feb 2 2007, 05:09 PM) View Post
QUOTE(fireball_from_iceland @ Feb 1 2007, 09:08 PM) View Post
I have very hard water and I have learned that hard water

Dial should not go on your face or your body! No soap like that at all. Use a body wash, or gentle soap like dove. Never hand soaps or soap like that in general!

I switched to Dial for the past four days and so far so good. Apparently, real soap like Dove etc. is NOT good to use w/ hard water because the minerals in hard water can't bind to soap... hence, after showering you are left with a very thin film on your body called soap scum, you can sometimes see this film in the form of soap "curd" -- it kinda looks like dry skin.

In other words, using soap like dove with hard water is impossible to wash off with water because the hard water can't bind to real soap and wash it away, it usually binds with calcium first (which is already present in the water) -- the resultant soap scum clogs your pores and makes your skin itchy.

What soap to use?

Dial is not soap. It is a detergent -- an artificial soap, if you will. It has chemical additives that allow it to attach to the minerals in hard water, thus allowing the detergent to be washed off your body and preventing the development of soap scum.

Soap scum was provoking my Acne. After showering w/ Dial, I stepped out of the shower and didn't feel like I normally do -- because I wasn't covered in soap scum. So far, my acne is receding and I'm very happy.

If you are showering in hard water, I strongly suggest that you try using a artificial soap -- aka detergent. In stores, it is labeled as Deodorant Soap usually. Look at the ingredients and make sure that the first ingredient is not "soap."

Don't get a anti-bacterial soap w/ Triclosan! This is a very dangerous chemical that should not be used for bathing, or brushing your teeth (it is often included in toothpaste).

#4 royc

royc

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:26 AM

There is a way to get rid of the hard water as well if you live in a house. I'm guessing you don't live in a large city like Toronto because large cities usually have medum water. After I moved to Barrie, the water was hard so my family bought a water softener and some other things that make the water 'soft' Plus there are some other advantages to it as well. It's not too pricey but it's not free either.

#5 fugi123

fugi123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2007 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE(royc @ Feb 4 2007, 08:26 AM) View Post
There is a way to get rid of the hard water as well if you live in a house. I'm guessing you don't live in a large city like Toronto because large cities usually have medum water. After I moved to Barrie, the water was hard so my family bought a water softener and some other things that make the water 'soft' Plus there are some other advantages to it as well. It's not too pricey but it's not free either.

yeah use a very mild cleanser

#6 Drainer15

Drainer15

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2007 - 01:47 PM

How are you supposed to know if your water is "hard" or not?

#7 jonny_boy

jonny_boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE(Drainer15 @ Feb 4 2007, 07:47 PM) View Post
How are you supposed to know if your water is "hard" or not?

Touch it.

#8 allieOop

allieOop

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2007 - 03:07 PM

I can tell water is hard by the way it makes my hair feel

and you have to use more soap to get a good lather

I guess I never thought that hard water could cause acne but now that I think about it, my face breaks out when i wash it more at home rather than when i was away at college using softer water....

but Dial, honestly? Isn't it over-drying?