Photo

zinc made me sick

zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 AliasJaneDoe

AliasJaneDoe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2003 - 04:45 AM

I took one 50mg zinc pill today, and it made me feel very sick (in fact, I still feel kinda sick, and it's been about ten hours since I took it. I actually threw up, and my stomach was in knots. I thought the problem might be that I took it on an empty stomach, so I made myself eat something and drank a glass of juice (this was about 45 minutes after taking the pill), and that didn't help at all.

So should I give up on zinc? Or do I just need to actually take it right when I eat? Although I'm not sure I want to try this again. [/i]

#2 Pete

Pete

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2003 - 05:21 AM

Well, zinc has a RDA of 15mg, so taking 35mg more than reccomended might not be too good an idea, I would take any supplement with food (am meal would be best) so it gets absorbed with everything else. Try switching to a multivitamin/mineral, they should have 100% RDA of all the vits/minerals you need.

#3 Adam

Adam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2003 - 05:30 AM

Zinc can make people sick. I take 60mg which is a fair amount, espically since its a metal and can build up (bad). However, I have only gotten sick on zinc once (nausea, upset stomach). A friend of mine gets sick from sucking on those zinc cough drops (which has nothing in it really). So, it depends. Try taking less if you really want to take it. Yes the RDA is a lot less then 50mg, so start around there.

#4 Botchla

Botchla

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2003 - 11:21 AM

yeah some people can't take zinc on an empty stomach or they get sick/throw up. me personally i always take 30mg on an empty stomach, but that's just me. take it with food next time.

#5 fuz0r

fuz0r

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2003 - 02:30 PM

This is very common among zinc users. I have experienced the same thing. Next time eat a good meal along with taking your zinc and a multivitamin. You should be fine

#6 AliasJaneDoe

AliasJaneDoe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2003 - 05:02 PM

Well, the pills I bought are 50 mg, and the container says to take one a day. Why do they even sell 50 mg pills if you're not supposed to take that much? And I've read in several places that you should take 50 to 100 mg a day to help clear up acne.

But anyway, if I continue taking zinc, I should take it right after a meal? Are there any suggestions of things to try if it makes me sick again? Other than to just stop taking it, because I know to do that. But I think I'll try it once more after I eat a full meal.

#7 Guest_fatman_uk_*

Guest_fatman_uk_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 November 2003 - 07:40 PM

I've been takin a Bodybuildin style multi-vitamin which has a whole lot more RDA % than ur regular multi-vits, an it costs about the same.

I've had better results from this than i have from takin Zinc alone. In fact, Zinc can up your testosterone levels an make it worse, which is what happened to me when i took Zinc Chelate (more potent from what i've heard).

It only has 100% RDA (15mg) of Zinc tho, whereas for others like Vit-B5, it has 833%, B2 is 1500% an B6 an B12 have a whoppin 2500%... biggrin.gif

Some may argue that that's too much, but it's a Timed Release vitamin, so it comes out over a 24 hour period rather than givin you a quick fix like other vitamins do.

Anyhow, just sayin i've had better results an felt better from takin that. Rob (Cubos) just got the same one i think, not sure if he'd had em long enough to comment on em yet tho.

-Gaz

#8 lovelife

lovelife

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:57 AM

wow I was getting sick last night so i took 2 60 mg zinc pills before bed .. thank goodness i didn't get sick smile.gif and i think i feel better this morning

#9 LaChupacabra

LaChupacabra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:42 AM

Gaz what's the bodybuilding pill? Think i might try it if i can find it..hows it working?
heheh sometimes igetlonely andadrink my bacardi cuz thaere arent many aother chupacabracitas araound and ihavenoone ttomakechupacabra little onezwith
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#10 Guest_fatman_uk_*

Guest_fatman_uk_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 30 November 2003 - 12:51 PM

Jus look onle for bodybuildin multi-vitamins, they wont have the ones i use over in the US, but they're easier to find over there anyhow, u guys have loads of supplements shops/sites.

-Gaz

#11 skye

skye

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:36 PM

I don't take any of my vitamins until after I've eaten a good meal. Most of my vitamins will make me sick if I take them on an empty stomach.
skye

#12 gymrat7676

gymrat7676

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2003 - 07:30 PM

i felt nauseaus when i took zinc on an empty stomach

#13 activclear-guy

activclear-guy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2003 - 04:06 PM

If you're allergic to zinc, wow about using zinc in cream form?

#14 anthrogal

anthrogal

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:14 AM

Try breaking the pill in half (if it's the solid kind), and taking one half with breakfast, one half with dinner. It's better to spread out vitamins throughout the day, rather than all at once because they are better absorbed. Zinc is good to take when you first feel the symptoms of a cold!