Photo

SMOKING AND ACNE

pimple pimples makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 carla131313

carla131313

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:49 PM

DAY ONE (1)

20 December 2006 (Front View) 47 Pimples

ACNE AND SMOKING

Hi, I am a long time sufferer of Acne. I first got acne when I was 14 years old and I am now 27. I have been to many expensive dermatologists, Chinese herbalists and doctors and have tried many different remedies as listed.

Oral Antibiotics
Tetracycline, Minocycline and Doxycyline

Prescription washes, creams and gels
Retin-A, Differin, Benzoyl Peroxide, Clindamycin and Clindoxyl gel

Oral Contraceptives
Yasmin, Dianette and also tri-cyclen which I used along with spironolactone (which is for women with Polycystic Ovarian syndrome, which I have).

Other Miscellaneous things I have done
The three day acne apple diet off the internet which I paid about $30.

Used ProActive for 3 months.

Paid $500 to get my blood tested to see if I have any bad allergies to food, which I do to milk so I cut that out for over a year.

Paid $300 for skin peels.

Paid $400 for laser treatment.

Paid $500 at the Chinese herbalist.

I have pretty much tried everything apart from Roaccutane which I will not try as I am scared of the side effects. I am also glad I did not try it as I have now found out the reason for my acne.

One thing to think about before reading on, if you have ever seen the pictures on bill boards telling young children not to take drugs like speed and showing pictures of what it can do to your skin and they have big spots all over their skin and their teeth are all missing and yellow, then you can now see how smoking could do the same thing right?

About 8 months ago I decided I was going to quit smoking so I gave up for just three weeks and at that same time I started using spironolactone along with tri-cyclen and my skin completely cleared up. I thought my skin was clearing up from the spiro and try-cyclen and in the meantime I started smoking again I did not know this was the cause of my acne to come back after that three weeks, I had gone on a road trip and my pills were in the car and I thought maybe they have become un-usable due to the extreme heat. So I ordered more spiro and tri-cyclen and started over again and used them for three months and nothing was happening so I thought maybe it just worked for that three weeks then my body got immune to it. So I just figured another trial and error it did not work for me.

I then started thinking again one night and I thought maybe my acne is caused by smoking and then I thought back to the time I gave up for three weeks and how that is the only time I have ever had clear skin for the last 13 years. Then I thought about when I started smoking I was all of 11 years old but that was just really casual but by the time I got to 13 I had a part-time job and that is when I started actually smoking regularly. By the time I turned 14 I started to get slight acne and then it just got worse and worse by the time I was 16 I had pretty bad acne and I would not leave the house without makeup and I was had no confidence at all.

This is the time that I started to see doctors and they told me that it was just puberty and that I would grow out of it and gave me some mild face creams and contraceptive pills and I continued with these up until I was around 21 and then I started asking more questions, I was now not in puberty but how come I still have acne? So this is when the doctors started giving me antibiotics which cleared up my skin quite a bit but only for a short while but then they came back once my body was immune to them. I was then given prescription washes such as Retin-A and Clindoxyl gel and I used each different wash I received for a few months at a time and none of them worked so I would go back and just be given another type of face cream but none of them worked.

During all these treatments I would constantly be on the internet trying to figure out why I still had acne and paid for many other miscellaneous acne remedies and treatment as mentioned above, these medications were so expensive and NONE of them worked, but I was so angry, why would they not work, they are expensive you think they would work, why would people say try this and you will have a clear face and pay this money and you will be acne free. I now realize that its all just a big scam and there are many people out there that are using us acne sufferers who wake up in the morning crying, who do not want to leave the house because we are ashamed of our skin and they don’t even care as long as they are selling their product or treatments they are happy. I feel so sad that people can do this to us as I am not that type of person and would NEVER do anything like that to get money.

Anyway, so going back to when I started smoking and when my acne appeared and when my acne disappeared.

I was 13 when I started smoking on a regular basis.

By the time I was 14 I started getting acne.

By the time I was 16 I had acne.

Throughout the next 11 years until I was 27 I would continue to get acne until I decided to experiment with the relationship between acne and smoking. I searched the internet for a few days non stop for like 8 hours a day and found medical science saying that there is no connection between acne and smoking which was pretty depressing as I thought yes I have finally figured it out. I then checked acne.org and found that a few people were saying its all a personal thing, some people it does effect and some it does not so I decided to see whether it would be the cause for me. I also wanted to quit smoking as I had been smoking for 14 years and I knew it was time to quit as I was having trouble breathing and my circulation in my legs was not good they hurt every time I would try to rest. This also gave me some suspicion, I thought well if my feet are not getting good circulation then maybe the rest of my body is not and that is why my skin is bad.

So I quit smoking on the 20 December and it has only been 4 days so far and in that 4 days I have only had two new spots come up.

You can check out my diary in the gallery, it has only got my first day photos on it but I will put up new photos once a week for the next six weeks so I can show the connection, well im so positive there will be a connection and its only day 4, but if there is not a connection, we will all see in a few weeks.

Take care and all the best with everyone’s regimes.

#2 Kuhoolish

Kuhoolish

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

my skin was perfectly clear not but a few days ago, the day of my skin being clear i smoked a lot of weed and a cigar and now my face is broken out.

it's angering how i can't fucking enjoy myself anymore.

#3 SHE'S MARIA

SHE'S MARIA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

this is really sad, because smoking made my acne better. i cleared up completely all my cystic acne GONE! FOR LIKE 6MONTHS!

and ive stopped smoking for 5 days and three nodular acne came out,. what the hell?

#4 well_aye

well_aye

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

when you are smokin you are puttin a lot of toxins into your body that cant be good for your skin, havin all that carbon monoxide rubin on it aswell. and yep smokin a lot of weed generally makes my face go oily too but i still stand by my 2.5% BP after like 6 years now since i found this site in its old state. no moisturiser, nothin but a cleanser n BP n iv been clear for like 4 years now after spendin 2 years experimentin with bp cream and other useless stuff. my acne was severe and now its totally nothin not even red marks. but yeah...smokin cant be good but as long as i use bp still its been ok

#5 wowowee

wowowee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

i quit smoking now for about a week and guess what. my skin looks better. i will not puff a cigarette anymore eusa_snooty.gif
wowowee sinung di ma wiwilie???

#6 aswa

aswa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

I've noticed the same thing too. It does depend on the person though.
Quit Smoking 2 weeks ago and broke out worse than ever before. Usually had 2-3 active pimples on my face at one time. Now it's like 10-12 with usually 2-3 cysts. I feel like I'm on accutane. So I started smoking again until I go on accutane on March 4.

#7 prettywife

prettywife

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

i have only acne during my period and it's not that bad. just 2 or 3 pimples. smoking isnt a habit for me. i only smoke very rare, when im with my friends. i just notice when i smoke, i have break outs. pimples will pop up.. after of my smoking-free years, i decided to smoke again three months ago, with my bro. damn! i now have severe pimples. i wont smoke again. never ever! eusa_wall.gif

#8 ameliabright

ameliabright

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

Thanks for your post, it really made me think about what other habits might be affecting my acne. I've always had mild acne, but it became moderate and started appearing in new places (my cheeks and jawline) about two years ago, the same time i started smoking occassionally (i also live with 2 smokers). But, last winter I went away for a week, to a place where i wasn't around any smoke and i didn't smoke at all, and my skin didn't change a bit. So, I think it's something else.

morning & night

adovia sulfur soap
st. ives naturally clear cleanser (as scrub)

spot treatment: sulfur ointment 6%
clean & clear mark reducer (SA 2%)
clean & clear SA moisturizer

adovia dead sea mud mask (2-4 times/week)

make-up

neutrogena foundation
adovia mineral blemish concealer

#9 HollatChaBoi

HollatChaBoi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

yo yo yo new memeber ha.

but aye i never had aaaany acne until this year. i think its because of all the stress i had i got caught up in some shit for bein brown and it screwed me up mentally. ive been doin everything i can to get rid of this im so used to being pretty (no homo) that i cant take this shit! ive been on a crucial diet lately and even tried the 3 day apple diet a couple times it definetly helps. what i know that works is when you are IN bed, get a bowl of: strawberrys, carrots, blueberry and an apple. grub that right before you go to sleep and that is the last thing your body takes in so its whats working on you while you sleep. makes sense right? also before i go to sleep i put castor oil on my face. google it people have been using it for centuries to repair skin.

now the smoking thing. i used to smoke helllla wit my old crew every day we would all meet up at night and put up for some dro. then we would go to 711 and pick up and black mild (terrible for your body) and always had a couple pimples at a time but not like i do now. but obviously smoking and stress do not mix well at all. everytime i smoke now i wake up and my face is jus way more blochy and red lookin its grossssss.

i think acne is common sense. whatever doctors say food doesnt have anything to do with acne is a dumb ass and should be fired asap. how the hell can you say that? haha thats like sayin if you throw water on dirt in wont turn into mud. so think about it. WHATEVER you put into your body WILL show up on your skin. so if you smoke of course its gona give you acne!

i know acne is tough to deal with and suuuper confusing. but next time you put that blunt/cigarette/cigar to your mouth jus think "is this gonna help me with my issue?" the answer is no.

just use common sense guys and also excerise regularly its good for your immune system and gets rid of toxins... also for severe acne drink a gallon of water everyday.

FEEL ME? good luck

#10 thanksInterweb

thanksInterweb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

I read the below article recently which kind of makes sense. I had mild to non-existant acne as a teen around 14 and was clear for years until the age of 25, which correlated with starting smoking. I quit and start again at 26, now at 27 I have the most severe acne in my life. After trying every high-street remedy, anti-biotics and seeing the most expensive doctors in the UK, nothing has seemed to work. So I guess it's time to quit again, starting today (after reading this article). I'll keep you posted of my progress.

If anyone else is doing the same, let me know - I'd be interested in your progress too!

#11 Corsair

Corsair

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

It is said that every puff of a cigarette contain 10 to the 15 free radicals .. that is the reason for premature aging too. Quit smoking!!!

wink.gif
Morning: Tea Tree Oil based Soap + Effaclar H (moisturizer)
Night: Neutrogena Transparent Soap + Effaclar H/Cleanance K + The rest (BP on the spot and Effaclar AI on the spot)

And once a week I wash with a sulphur/SA soap, just to kill bacteria and Garnier Toner Pure.

#12 airbag

airbag

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:52 PM

I totally believe that quitting smoking will help my acne in the long run. I once quit for 3 months and not only was my skin clear but everyone said my skin was glowing. HOWEVER I have learned through research and my experience over the last 12 days of being smoke-free that it is common for people to develop bad breakouts just after quitting. My acne is painful and debilitating right now. It's constantly on my mind. I don't want to leave the house. I've learned people call this "Quitzits" and that it will pass. As devastating as this acne is, smoking it a terrible and temporary option to fix it. My body is detoxing and I just need to be strong and wait it out.

#13 5ive

5ive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

I feel your pain, airbag. Hang in there.

The same happened for me. While I was smoking my skin was CLEAR. I was on DKR for about 2 years. Sure, a zit here and there. But never anything that I would want to smash my mirror over.

Then, after starting a fabulous new job where I was very physically active, I decided to why not make myself that much more healthier by quitting smoking. Well, then the zits started.

The first break out happened a week after my last cigarette. A tiny blackhead appeared on my nose and a dime sized red lump appeared on my cheek. By the next day these two zits inflamed and puffed out into full blown massive mirror-smashing zits. The tiny black head turned into the size of a dollar in a red lump surrounding it. Ridiculous. And then, almost over night after about a month, they disappeared.

Well, my skin hasn't stopped being so crazy and erratic. I escaped a big lump again. But I recently got one that was so painful, and so deep, it took a week to come out. It turned out to be a small white head that was attached to another white head. It popped in the shower and I squeezed it out. One had the regular ball in it but the other one was literally THROWING UP liquid infection.

THEN IT OCCURRED TO ME: I've had these crazy, bad ass zits before. When I quit smoking before. In fact, the last two times I tried I broke out in these large, inflamed lumps. I wouldn't call them cysts, as I suffer from mild acne. They are just my regular acne but that much more crazy.

So yeah, I guess having really sensitive skin is a blessing in disguise, as I will never quit smoking again/start it up. Not only are you dealing with a shitload of other issues, QUITZITS are a huge pain in the ass as well.

I was on DKR during this period too which also really helped cause it soothed my skin a bit. Thanks, Dan smile.gif.

I do believe that smoking takes such an affect on your hormone balance that when you don't have all these chemicals in your body your system freaks out. I'm not too sure whether I would call this "purging" or just my system being imbalanced, either way, it sucks. And those of you are lucky to see your skin improve after stopping. I'm jealous.

I know that, in the long run, my skin will look better. I won't have as many wrinkles. And maybe when my system gets back to normal in a few months my skin will go back as well. Wish me luck smile.gif.

Joe

Edited by 5ive, 23 August 2010 - 06:54 PM.

Check out my Regimen Log HERE.

Back on DKR full force after trying to get off of it with horrible results.

#14 hellotoeverybody

hellotoeverybody

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

Did the skin come back to balance Joe?
- D3, Zinc, Selenium, Chromium, B100
- Fermented Cod Liver Oil
- Probiotics
- Avoid MSG, which very often exist in regular pills hided under other names
- Sleep in total darkness and for 9 hours, trying to be at the same time everyday
- Trying to be outside in natural light as much as possible to get the circadian rythm going
- Raw dairy
- Other than that, eating natural and organic, trying to avoid sugars, included fruits

95% clear and progressing, expecting to reach 100%

#15 5ive

5ive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for asking cause I have a total success story.

My skin did re-balance itself after going from super clear while smoking to awful while quitting and now clear again. It's been about 5 months since I quit and the super inflamed quitzits on my cheeks are completely gone. I noticed a change in my skin about 3 months after I quit when my skin went back to normal and the acne I did have while smoking (very small bumps) were gone.

When my quitzits went away my biological cravings were also completely gone. So it really helped me kick the habit. Never again will I be quitting again after going through those painful spots. Smoking definitely had an affect on my body that went beyond the side effects advertised. Gross.

So if you're skin is super sensitive to environmental factors like mine then please realize your skin will look amazing after you quit smoking, but during the quitting phase you will suffer sad.gif. As usual with acne, it gets worse before it gets better.

Check out my Regimen Log HERE.

Back on DKR full force after trying to get off of it with horrible results.

#16 Emma294

Emma294

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:15 PM

Heyy,
I never had bad skin when i was younger i always had clear skin people use to comment on how good my skin was and how lucky i was, about a year after i started smoking i started to have little break outs here and there nothing serious but than it got worse. I am now 19 i have recently learnt that every cigarette you have is 90 minutes where your skin doesnt get blood flow and during the night when youre not smoking and your skin is meant to be repairing yourself. The toxins from smoking are coming out of your skin. I quit smoking 2 and a half weeks ago and i have had a few quitzits as theycall them but my skin has improved a great deal and everyone is saying how much my skin has improved already and my hair even looks shiny not dull. Quitting smoking is the best thing ive done and i wont be smoking again.

Thank you for this post as when i read it the first time it was my last push to quit.

#17 greenbird24

greenbird24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

there is some really great information on theskinnutritionist dot net that might be able to help you.