This topic is archived.
261 replies to this topic

#261 annique

annique

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

hey fedupgirl. In response to your question and to add my 2 cents on Yasmin anyway...

YES Yasmin did 90% cure my SEVERE acne. I wasn't left with perfect skin, but 100 times better than before. It 100% cured my severe body acne (back, chest, arms) and 80% cured my severe facial acne (down from severe to mild I would say). It depends on the person (eg type of acne and if you respond well) BUT for me (and for many people) it really definitely does work. I hope it works for you too - one week won't make a difference - it will take about 3 months to see full effects, but it should be worth it.

HOWEVER for me, the side effects were terrible and I came off it 2 months ago as I couldnt cope with it anymore. It may not be the same for everyone and don't be put off until you've tried it yourself, the effects are different for everyone. But for me, it caused SEVERE depression to the point that I was suicidal as well as insanely irritable and verging on psychotic. I was cutting myself, crying constantly, planning suicide, screaming at my boyfriend for no reason... Well, maybe I was an extreme case, but be warned lol... 2 months off it and Im fine again. Other side effects were just very low sex drive.

I was on Dianette for 2-3 years before that which was a wonder-medication - worked perfectly and no side effects. Then Yasmin for 3 years - worked great but caused terrible depression. Now Im pill free for a bit, but planning on trying Spironolactone if the acne comes back hardcore-stylee.

Hope Yasmin works for you though and dont be scared about the side effects, just wait and see how it is for you - its different for everyone.

PS I've read horror stories about coming off it, but bar terrible headaches for a week, its been fine for me.

#262 fed_up_girl

fed_up_girl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE (annique @ Sep 10 2011, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey fedupgirl. In response to your question and to add my 2 cents on Yasmin anyway...

YES Yasmin did 90% cure my SEVERE acne. I wasn't left with perfect skin, but 100 times better than before. It 100% cured my severe body acne (back, chest, arms) and 80% cured my severe facial acne (down from severe to mild I would say). It depends on the person (eg type of acne and if you respond well) BUT for me (and for many people) it really definitely does work. I hope it works for you too - one week won't make a difference - it will take about 3 months to see full effects, but it should be worth it.

HOWEVER for me, the side effects were terrible and I came off it 2 months ago as I couldnt cope with it anymore. It may not be the same for everyone and don't be put off until you've tried it yourself, the effects are different for everyone. But for me, it caused SEVERE depression to the point that I was suicidal as well as insanely irritable and verging on psychotic. I was cutting myself, crying constantly, planning suicide, screaming at my boyfriend for no reason... Well, maybe I was an extreme case, but be warned lol... 2 months off it and Im fine again. Other side effects were just very low sex drive.

I was on Dianette for 2-3 years before that which was a wonder-medication - worked perfectly and no side effects. Then Yasmin for 3 years - worked great but caused terrible depression. Now Im pill free for a bit, but planning on trying Spironolactone if the acne comes back hardcore-stylee.

Hope Yasmin works for you though and dont be scared about the side effects, just wait and see how it is for you - its different for everyone.

PS I've read horror stories about coming off it, but bar terrible headaches for a week, its been fine for me.

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear Yasmin can work for body acne too. The emotional effects you experienced sound awful! Crazy how hormones can control the way we feel so much.
I'm feeling fine so far, (well, just the normal frustration with my skin ). Dianette worked really well for me too, but doctors here won't prescribe it for long term use and my skin went haywire when I came off.

Good luck with your Yasmin withdrawal! I see Spironolactone mentioned a lot on these boards but no doctor has ever mentioned it to me and I've been having various treatments for acne for nearly a decade. I'm not sure if they have even heard of it here in the UK.