Photo

Saw Palmetto as effective as spironolactone?

saw palmetto

5 replies to this topic

#1 funshine

funshine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:36 PM

Both are androgen blockers, right? Anyone have experience with saw palmetto and spironolactone and found the two comparable in efficacy?

I just read something about how Saw palmetto is well known for its ability to inhibit the conversion of testosterone into DHT (high levels of DHT are what cause all the unwanted effects of testosterone in women)....and I remembered how the 1-2 years I was completely clear in college was when I was taking these supplement pills that were supposed to help boost breast growth (I know, I know...suffice it to say, they didn't work). However, I'm wondering if they had the side effect of clearing my skin up, cuz they had all these androgen blockers like fennel and saw palmetto.

#2 jamesw

jamesw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Mathematics, philosophy, computer security, hair & makeup, medicine and health, girls and boys ;)

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:54 PM

Saw Palmetto is entirely ineffective for this purpose. I suggest you read the (highly conflicting) studies on it to find out.

Spironolactone is a blood pressure medication first with the chance consequence that it works as an antiandrogen. If you can't tolerate it, there are medications with similar actions out there. Herbs are going to mimick this in any way.

#3 funshine

funshine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(jamesw @ Dec 13 2006, 11:54 PM) View Post
Saw Palmetto is entirely ineffective for this purpose. I suggest you read the (highly conflicting) studies on it to find out.

Spironolactone is a blood pressure medication first with the chance consequence that it works as an antiandrogen. If you can't tolerate it, there are medications with similar actions out there. Herbs are going to mimick this in any way.

Hey,
Thanks, I guess I'll try to get a prescription for the spironolactone then.
By the way, I notice your signature says you use Rhodiola Rosea/Ashwagandha for stress and increased cognition? How is that working for you? I've been very busy and stressed out for the past 4 years, and it's really taken a toll on me. I'm tired all the time and frequently depressed.
If it boosts testosterone production though, lemme know. I don't want to make my acne any worse than it already is!
thanks,
funshine

#4 jamesw

jamesw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Mathematics, philosophy, computer security, hair & makeup, medicine and health, girls and boys ;)

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(funshine @ Dec 15 2006, 01:02 AM) View Post
QUOTE(jamesw @ Dec 13 2006, 11:54 PM) View Post

Hey,
Thanks, I guess I'll try to get a prescription for the spironolactone then.
By the way, I notice your signature says you use Rhodiola Rosea/Ashwagandha for stress and increased cognition? How is that working for you? I've been very busy and stressed out for the past 4 years, and it's really taken a toll on me. I'm tired all the time and frequently depressed.
If it boosts testosterone production though, lemme know. I don't want to make my acne any worse than it already is!
thanks,
funshine

Both Rhodiola and Ashwagandha have been shown to lower cortisol levels, and both are considered nootropic. They're synergistic, so take them both together for maximum benefits. Take the Rhodiola in the morning and Ashwagandha at night. Should work for you. Stress wears on your skin more than anything in my expereience, so these herbs might help you in other ways.

#5 funshine

funshine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:48 PM

Both Rhodiola and Ashwagandha have been shown to lower cortisol levels, and both are considered nootropic. They're synergistic, so take them both together for maximum benefits. Take the Rhodiola in the morning and Ashwagandha at night. Should work for you. Stress wears on your skin more than anything in my expereience, so these herbs might help you in other ways.

OK, so have they worked for you? sorry to be annoying, but I want to make sure before I start buying a bunch of supplements I never end up taking. I just recently got tyrosine to help with the stress and depression, but I'm still waiting for the effects...

#6 jamesw

jamesw

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(funshine @ Dec 15 2006, 11:48 PM) View Post

OK, so have they worked for you? sorry to be annoying, but I want to make sure before I start buying a bunch of supplements I never end up taking. I just recently got tyrosine to help with the stress and depression, but I'm still waiting for the effects...

They're both known to be very effective and have plenty of studies backing them up.

(Yes, they have worked.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users