The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE(allieOop @ Dec 15 2006, 01:09 PM) View Post
Ijust got my paula's choice bha liquid in the mail and i'm wondering how to fit it into my regime.. i was thinking something like this

morning
cleanse with arbonne intelligence cleanser
exfoliate with 2% bha
moisturize/protect with cetaphyl spf moisturizer (looking to change this)

night
cleanser with purpose liquid cleanser
spot treat with dan's bp

let me know please

As mentioned in another thread, the Arbonne Inteligence Cleanser is too likely to cause irritation and therfore shouldn't be used. It would be better for you to use Purpose's Liquid Cleanser morning and night.

There's nothing wrong with the Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 other than how basic it is. Dove's sunscreens are good, if you're looking to switch.

Other than that, your proposed regimen looks fine, but you can increase your applications of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid up to twice daily if you need to. You should apply the BHA Liquid prior to the DKR Gel.

My Clear Skin Maintenance Regimen

Morning

Wash with Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash
()
Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid
()
Selectively Moisturize with CeraVe Moisturizer
()
Protect with Clinique City Block Sheer Oil-Free Daily Face Protector; SPF 15

Evening

()
()
Normalize skin cell production with Retin-A Micro 0.1% Tretinoin Gel
()

#42 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE(KissMyGrits @ Dec 14 2006, 09:42 AM) View Post
I just placed an order for the BHA 2% (samples) since I've been using AHA for months and already purged hopefully I won't puge again with this.
Thanks so much for all the help LQ and SQ - muchly appreciated!

I hope this product works well for you, Ami. I did have a little initial purging, which surprised me (I've been on Green Cream for a year now) but after a few weeks, my pores are so clear they are practically invisible. I am thrilled with it.
Retired from Acne.org

#43 allieOop

allieOop

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(The_Snow_Queen @ Dec 15 2006, 09:11 PM) View Post
QUOTE(allieOop @ Dec 15 2006, 01:09 PM) View Post
Ijust got my paula's choice bha liquid in the mail and i'm wondering how to fit it into my regime.. i was thinking something like this

morning
cleanse with arbonne intelligence cleanser
exfoliate with 2% bha
moisturize/protect with cetaphyl spf moisturizer (looking to change this)

night
cleanser with purpose liquid cleanser
spot treat with dan's bp

let me know please

As mentioned in another thread, the Arbonne Inteligence Cleanser is too likely to cause irritation and therfore shouldn't be used. It would be better for you to use Purpose's Liquid Cleanser morning and night.

There's nothing wrong with the Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 other than how basic it is. Dove's sunscreens are good, if you're looking to switch.

Other than that, your proposed regimen looks fine, but you can increase your applications of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid up to twice daily if you need to. You should apply the BHA Liquid prior to the DKR Gel.

mmm thanks! i had my breakouts under control until i started working 8-9 hours days and using the phone, touching my face etc. I hear the bha helps alot with clogged pores and oiliness. And I was talked into the Arbonne, but I do think you are absolutely right about the irritation. Especially when I was using it 3X daily. I'm going to stick with cetaphyl and purpose since they've worked for me.

#44 Anni

Anni

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

Ordered some samples of Green Cream 3% and 6% in the trial pack from Linda Sy because everyone's been raving about it -- unfortunately they don't have 9% on the website yet, but I have sensitive skin so I'll just test out the 3% first. smile.gif Do you know how long they last you? Long enough to see effective results?

And also, when I get it do I just start using it everyday right away? All over my face? I was going to start Retin-A, but this seems safer because its less concentrated and OTC...

#45 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE(Anni @ Dec 16 2006, 06:40 PM) View Post
Ordered some samples of Green Cream 3% and 6% in the trial pack from Linda Sy because everyone's been raving about it -- unfortunately they don't have 9% on the website yet, but I have sensitive skin so I'll just test out the 3% first. smile.gif Do you know how long they last you? Long enough to see effective results?

And also, when I get it do I just start using it everyday right away? All over my face? I was going to start Retin-A, but this seems safer because its less concentrated and OTC...

Linda Sy will not sell you the Level 9 until your face is fully adjusted to Level 6 -- and you can't ever buy Level 9 on the website. You have to place a phone order. It's quite a powerful product and they don't want people using it unless they are well-informed about it.

Linda Sy will be sending you some very detailed instructions on how to use GC, but I'll just post this here for anyone else who's interested.

Since you describe your skin as sensitive, start out by using the Level 3 once every 2-3 nights. Use a pea-sized amount -- just enough to thinly cover your entire face. Apply it to clean skin and do not layer anything else over it for at least 30-45 minutes; the GC needs that time to absorb into your skin and be converted to retinoic acid. You don't want to interfere with that conversion. After 30-45 minutes you can moisturize if you want to.

Make sure you are using an extremely gentle cleanser with no active ingredients (see Snow Queen's recommendations earlier in this thread). Do NOT scrub your face; GC is going to make your skin more sensitive and delicate than you are accustomed to. Wash with fingertips and lukewarm water; pat dry gently with a clean towel.

I recommend taking omega-3 supplements (fish oil and/or flaxseed oil) to reinforce your epidermal lipid barrier while you are using GC (or any other retinoid). This will help to keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Drink plenty of water as well. And don't forget to wear sunscreen daily!!!! Like other retinoids, GC will make your skin more photo-sensitive.

Do not use GC on your neck until you have a pretty good idea of how your skin reacts to it ... wait at least 2-3 weeks. Neck skin is generally much more sensitive than facial skin. I was able to start with Level 6 on my face, but had to use Level 3 on my neck for a few months before moving up.

Once you get to the point where you can use GC-3 nightly for a week with no irritation, redness or soreness, you should be ready to switch to Level 6. It is much stronger than Level 3, so you will want to go back to the once every 2-3 days schedule and let your skin adjust to it gradually.
Retired from Acne.org

#46 thatsbooty

thatsbooty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:21 AM

first of all this is a dope thread. What i'm wondering about is mandelic acid. I just ordered a sample from diannayvone's site and i have no clue on what to do. Should i wash my face with water and then put it on? or should i use a clenser? Mosturize? If anybody could help, please do. biggrin.gif

#47 SemenSkinRegimen

SemenSkinRegimen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:31 AM

accutane cleared my "sebaceous filaments". sebaceous filaments are the yellow and white plugs of cells and sebum that clog pores on your nose and t-zone. they can be pushed out by squeezing or pressing skin around them. people also use biore strips. problem is they just come right back and you risk permanently dilating or scarring the pore.

try low dose accutane. 10 mg every other day for 3-4 months will probably stop them forever. you wont have irritation from such a low dose. you wont have any side effects from such a low dose. certainly less irritation than permanent use of topicals that are acid based.

basically you need to control the production of oil from inside the sebaceous gland. accutane is the only thing that does this.

#48 doglover

doglover

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:55 AM

I had a long post, but accidentally closed the tab and lost it all.

To simplify my post:

I have blackheads on my nose (little to no acne anywhere else).
I use bar soap to wash my face.

I am going to go ahead and order the 2% BHA from cosmeticscop.com. I saw that someone posted that the gel is less mess, but I do not see the 2% gel, only the 1% gel or the 2% liquid.

I have tried just about everything else for my blackheads and nothing has worked at all.

Can I get the 2% gel from that site? I may have just overlooked it.

From reading this post, I can also tell that I need to stop washing my face with the bar soap. Can someone recommend something else to use for my face? I do have allergies and am hoping to get something with no scent (The soap I use is Pure & Natural).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and this post. It si great.

#49 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(doglover @ Dec 16 2006, 10:55 PM) View Post
I had a long post, but accidentally closed the tab and lost it all.

To simplify my post:

I have blackheads on my nose (little to no acne anywhere else).
I use bar soap to wash my face.

I am going to go ahead and order the 2% BHA from cosmeticscop.com. I saw that someone posted that the gel is less mess, but I do not see the 2% gel, only the 1% gel or the 2% liquid.

I have tried just about everything else for my blackheads and nothing has worked at all.

Can I get the 2% gel from that site? I may have just overlooked it.

From reading this post, I can also tell that I need to stop washing my face with the bar soap. Can someone recommend something else to use for my face? I do have allergies and am hoping to get something with no scent (The soap I use is Pure & Natural).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and this post. It si great.

Try Eucerin's Redness Relief. It's gentle, has no fragrance, and shouldn't aggravate your allergies.

I personally like the 2% BHA Liquid better, which is the most potent of Paula's Choice salicylic acid products (more potent doesn't necessarily mean better, depending on you). It's just like applying a toner for me. The gel is good, too, and is LionQueen's preference.

I think you probably overlooked the 2% BHA Gel. You did go to www.cosmeticscop.com, right? If it's not there, you can order the full-sized product from www.getthatglow.com, which offers discounts on Paula's Choice products and free shipping with two or more purchases. If you think you might need to return the BHA product, buy from the first site mentioned because it has a much better return policy.

Make sure you use a broad-spectrum SPF 15 or higher sunscreen if you don't already. If you saw my post about why bar cleansers shouldn't be used, you probably also saw my post about the importance of good sunscreens. If you order from getthatglow.com, a Paula's Choice sunscreen would be a great (gentle, effective, and fragrance-free) second order you could use to get the free shipping, but if you don't want to order more products online than you have to, go for one of Clinique's sunscreens, which are also fragrance-free.

Morning

()
()
()

Evening

()
()
()

#50 abner12

abner12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:42 AM

I placed my order of paulas 2% BHA gel on the 12th of december and they said they'd send a tracking # within 2-3 days... i'm just wondering how long did it take you guys to get a tracking #? or did it just show up one day?

#51 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE(abner12 @ Dec 16 2006, 11:42 PM) View Post
I placed my order of paulas 2% BHA gel on the 12th of december and they said they'd send a tracking # within 2-3 days... i'm just wondering how long did it take you guys to get a tracking #? or did it just show up one day?

Usually I get an e-mail with the tracking number the next day after or day of the order. Paula's Choice has never been particularly fast at shipping orders; it never takes more than a week and usually takes around four-five business days. Keep in mind that Paula's Choice is probably being flooded with orders since it's the Christmas season, so things might take longer than usual. If you can tell you're running low on a product and want to reorder, allow yourself at least two weeks. This is my standard rule for any company that I order from.

Morning

()
()
()

Evening

()
()
()

#52 StrLight

StrLight

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 07:38 AM

is there anywhere else to buy the BHA gel for uk people? because i ordered from the eu site because i live in england and it cost me 28.60 euro which is 37.45 dollers. i ordered the BHA gel and the sample of it.
morning
johnson's head-to-toe baby wash
simple replenishing rich moisturiser

night
johnson's head-to-toe baby wash
apply some jojoba oil

started taking 7 pine's wheatgrass tablets daily

alot of spots on left cheek

#53 doglover

doglover

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

Thank you for the reply.

#54 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(thatsbooty @ Dec 16 2006, 10:21 PM) View Post
first of all this is a dope thread. What i'm wondering about is mandelic acid. I just ordered a sample from diannayvone's site and i have no clue on what to do. Should i wash my face with water and then put it on? or should i use a clenser? Mosturize? If anybody could help, please do. biggrin.gif

Diana Yvonne sells the 15% Vivant mandelic acid serum. This is the most potent mandelic serum I'm aware of, so please approach it with a little caution.

Apply it with fingertips to a clean, dry face. Use just enough to cover your face with a very thin layer. After you use it, make sure you wait at least 30 minutes before moisturizing and applying sunscreen. This is very important -- you need to give the mandelic time to absorb into your skin and exfoliate the pores. Applying moisturizer too soon will block the mandelic from working properly.

I advise using it once every 2 days to begin with, until you get some sense of how your skin will react. If it seems like it's too strong for you and you see excessive peeling and drying, try washing it off after 10, 15, or 20 minutes instead of just leaving it on.

You may need to experiment for awhile to figure out what works for you.

Keep us posted!
Retired from Acne.org

#55 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, feline rescue volunteering, music

Posted 17 December 2006 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE(LionQueen @ Dec 17 2006, 10:30 AM) View Post
QUOTE(thatsbooty @ Dec 16 2006, 10:21 PM) View Post

Diana Yvonne sells the 15% Vivant mandelic acid serum. This is the most potent mandelic serum I'm aware of, so please approach it with a little caution.

Apply it with fingertips to a clean, dry face. Use just enough to cover your face with a very thin layer. After you use it, make sure you wait at least 30 minutes before moisturizing and applying sunscreen. This is very important -- you need to give the mandelic time to absorb into your skin and exfoliate the pores. Applying moisturizer too soon will block the mandelic from working properly.

I advise using it once every 2 days to begin with, until you get some sense of how your skin will react. If it seems like it's too strong for you and you see excessive peeling and drying, try washing it off after 10, 15, or 20 minutes instead of just leaving it on.

You may need to experiment for awhile to figure out what works for you.

Keep us posted!

I have to agree with what LionQueen says about how strong this mandelic is. I used it for awhile, but I found it too strong to use all over my face - I mostly used it around my nose to keep the pores clear. It can be very drying. It is very good at keeping pores clear, but I think this is also true of the less strong mandelic products that are out there. It has a lot of alcohol in it and has a high concentration of the mandelic acid - those together make it a pretty potent product. I would also advice against using it on inflamed acne, if you have any. It can really irritate inflamed spots.

So, definitely use with caution!!

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#56 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE(StrLight @ Dec 17 2006, 05:38 AM) View Post
is there anywhere else to buy the BHA gel for uk people? because i ordered from the eu site because i live in england and it cost me 28.60 euro which is 37.45 dollers. i ordered the BHA gel and the sample of it.

I suggest contacting Paula's Choice customer service about this; they'll probably be able to help you a lot better than I can.

Morning

()
()
()

Evening

()
()
()

#57 ZoeBee

ZoeBee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:22 PM

It looks like some of the whiteheads are making a come back. I am VERY worried and disappointed and I'm kicking myself because I think it has to do with the fact that I stopped using the Diacneal cream after the whiteheads were gone. Most of them turned into pimples and when there only a few whiteheads left I had them removed. Now I see 3-4 new ones and I'm freaking out because I don't want to go through all of this again.
What should I do? If I put Diacneal on the ones I have I will breakout possibly and I'm leaving for Cuba this weekend. Should I put the cream everywhere else and will this help prevent new ones from forming or just make things worse? My facialist gave me collagen gel to put on my prone areas...could this be the culprit it seemed to help with the redmarks)?
I'm scared to put anything on my face now...What should I do?

Thanks in advance...
My current regimen:

AM
Cleanse with Avene Cleanance
Moisturize with Complex 15 only on dry areas

PM
Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel (only 3x a week)
Diacneal
Tricyclen BCP

*Advil daily one week prior to menstruation
*drink lots of water all througout the day and stay away from pop.
*use mainly mineral makeup
NOTE: I totally stopped using BP as a spot treatment because it just dries the pimple out TOO much and the skin around it. The flakes end up looking worse than the pimple and it's impossible to cover. Plus it leaves a mark.

#58 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(tc9 @ Dec 18 2006, 10:22 AM) View Post
It looks like some of the whiteheads are making a come back. I am VERY worried and disappointed and I'm kicking myself because I think it has to do with the fact that I stopped using the Diacneal cream after the whiteheads were gone. Most of them turned into pimples and when there only a few whiteheads left I had them removed. Now I see 3-4 new ones and I'm freaking out because I don't want to go through all of this again.
What should I do? If I put Diacneal on the ones I have I will breakout possibly and I'm leaving for Cuba this weekend. Should I put the cream everywhere else and will this help prevent new ones from forming or just make things worse? My facialist gave me collagen gel to put on my prone areas...could this be the culprit it seemed to help with the redmarks)?

Thanks in advance...

I'd stick with the Diacneal, as I said before .... it really makes no sense to keep starting and stopping regimens. You have to pick something and stay with it.

Can you get the new whiteheads extracted before you leave?
Retired from Acne.org

#59 ZoeBee

ZoeBee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(LionQueen @ Dec 18 2006, 01:40 PM) View Post
QUOTE(tc9 @ Dec 18 2006, 10:22 AM) View Post

Thanks in advance...

I'd stick with the Diacneal, as I said before .... it really makes no sense to keep starting and stopping regimens. You have to pick something and stay with it.

Can you get the new whiteheads extracted before you leave?

Actually I just got off the phone with my facialist...she's going to extract them for me before I leave (thank goodness). She said it's not surprising that some came back and that a facial can really bring a lot to the surface and that it takes 28 days for your skin to renew etc etc...SO - I'm going back to her on thursday; she's not giving me a full facial again just a clean-up basically with a few extractions and I should be good to go. I think when I get back I'll begin again with the diacneal and see if it keeps them at bay. I really don't want to have to go back to her every couple of weeks to get them removed, that would get lil expensive (not to mention it HURTS!).

Btw what is your opinion about the collagen gel? Should I keep using it?
Thank you:)

My current regimen:

AM
Moisturize with Complex 15 only on dry areas

PM
Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel (only 3x a week)
Diacneal
Tricyclen BCP

*Advil daily one week prior to menstruation
*drink lots of water all througout the day and stay away from pop.
*use mainly mineral makeup
NOTE: I totally stopped using BP as a spot treatment because it just dries the pimple out TOO much and the skin around it. The flakes end up looking worse than the pimple and it's impossible to cover. Plus it leaves a mark.

#60 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2006 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(tc9 @ Dec 18 2006, 11:25 AM) View Post
Btw what is your opinion about the collagen gel? Should I keep using it?
Thank you:)

I'm honestly not sure. I was hoping Snow Queen might weigh in here. biggrin.gif

Without knowing anything about this specific product or how it is formulated, my instinct is to say: don't use it. I've learned that with acne-prone skin, especially if you are using retinoids, less is more! If you aren't absolutely certain that a product is helping (and not clogging your pores) --- then don't take the risk.

Also, I have the impression that collagen isn't an efficient topical, though I could be wrong there.

Anyway ....... I am kinda talking through my hat here, because I don't know this product. Can you provide a list of ingredients? That would at least give us a starting point.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Retired from Acne.org