Photo

Clearing pores, getting rid of tiny bumps

vitamin a oily skin

This topic is in the process of being archived.
633 replies to this topic

#21 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

I never thought salicylic acid would work on my face -- I've had horrid reactions to other SA products -- but this stuff is awesome!

That's very interesting. I've had nasty reactions to SA and avoid it like the plague. Do you know why this product is different for you?

#22 A-Shizzle

A-Shizzle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:23 PM

how are aha's and bha's different.
the green cream sounds great for me..i get small bumps that last forever on my chin..the never do anything..just stay there for months and months..then go away.

#23 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(tc9 @ Dec 13 2006, 06:40 AM) View Post
Hi,
Just want to make sure I understand correctly.
I had a recent outbreak of whiteheads a few months ago (poor Lion Queen got an ear full from me on it!). I've been using Diacneal to get rid of them and now after they've almost all turned into pimples, most have disappeared. Do you recommend I continue using Diacneal to prevent new ones from forming? I never had whiteheads before this sudden breakout and I suspect it was caused by a retinol I stupidly used when I really didn't need it. Does this mean now that my chin (where the breakout occured) is now especially prone to whiteheads? Should I stick with Diacneal or is there something better/cheaper I can use to help prevent them? And if I do try something new, will there be another IB?

I guess because the Diacneal caused my skin to purge the whiteheads, I'm scared that applying more will result in more breakouts (because I associate it with that) even though I guess it doesn't totally make sense - just a fear. I don't want to go through this again. I had over 20+ pimples in the last 2.5 months (and big ones!). Now my chin is a mess and the redmarks are horrible.

Thanks....

I think what you're saying is that you used Diacneal to treat a breakout of whiteheads, and those whiteheads became inflamed after using Diacneal. I'm not really sure if you're saying that you got a new breakout after using Diacneal, or just that your old breakout got worse.

How did you apply Diacneal, what other specific products were you using, and how long after using Diacneal did you experience a new breakout (if you did beacuse I'm not sure what you're saying)?

Lots of people who don't have acne like to use retinoids and exfoliants to improve the health of their skin; using these products when you don't "need" them doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a breakout.

#24 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE(StrLight @ Dec 13 2006, 12:28 PM) View Post
iam currently iam using dans bp gel which has improved my skin texture and got rid of 'cluster' pimples. but now im getting alot of black heads/clogged pores and spots under the skin. iam thinking of using BHA gel instead of bp but i have used clearasil face washes which have SA aswell but leave my face in a horrid condition. would the BHA gel keep my spots in control and do i use the regimen but use BHA instead of the bp? im 15, i have had acne for a few years now, my skin is a little oily if anything and here are some pictures.

right cheek

left cheek

thanks

Medicated cleansers are no more effective for treating acne than unmedicated cleansers because the medication is not on the skin long enough to have any real effect. If you let the cleanser sit on your skin in hopes of giving the medication time to work, you're also giving the surfectants in the cleanser time to irritate your skin. With cleansers containg salicylic acid and alpha hydroxy acids is the added problem of pH; most cleansers have a pH of 5 or higher, which is too high for chemical exfoliants to act as anything other than water-binding agents. Also, many salicylic acid cleansers contain drying surfectants and/or skin irritants like menthol to make consumers think a product is working when all it's doing is causing irritation.

Do you wear a broad-spectrum SPF 15 or higher sunscreen?

Do you use a moisturizer, and if so, do you moisturize your entire face or do you spot-treat dry areas only?

What specific products are you currently using right now?

Paula's Choice BHA products would help keep your pores clear because unlike most other salicylic acid products on the market, they are pH-correct and are free from unnecessary skin irritants. You can use salicylic acid in conjunction with benzoyl peroxide, but I don't recommend using the full fingerlength of benzoyl peroxide that Dan does. A pea-sized glob should be enough for your entire face. Salicylic acid can be used as often as twice daily and as little as once every other day; though you'll probably want to use it at least once daily. I recommend applying the salicylic acid before the benzoyl peroxide because it will help increase the benzoyl peroxide's penetration.

#25 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(beentheredonethat @ Dec 13 2006, 01:59 PM) View Post
I never thought salicylic acid would work on my face -- I've had horrid reactions to other SA products -- but this stuff is awesome!

That's very interesting. I've had nasty reactions to SA and avoid it like the plague. Do you know why this product is different for you?

Most salicylic acid products have too high of a pH, contain skin irritants like drying alcohols and menthol, or both. That's why salicylic acid has gotten such a bad reputation- it's not usually the salicylic acid that's the problem, but the irritating "inactives."

There are very few salicylic acid products on the market that are effectively formulated; the only ones you'll find at the drugstore are Neutrogena's Rapid Clear Lotion (not any of the other Rapid Clear products) and Olay's Anti-Aging Anti-Blemish Moisturizer. Neither one of these products is formulated as well as the Paula's Choice products and they are more expensive per ounce, but they can be somewhat effective.

#26 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE(Ami @ Dec 13 2006, 04:23 PM) View Post
the green cream sounds great for me..i get small bumps that last forever on my chin..the never do anything..just stay there for months and months..then go away.

The biggest difference between alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids is that beta hydroxy acid can effectively exfoliate inside the pore and not just the skin's surface, whereas alpha hydroxy acids are best at exfoliating just the skin's surface.

Here's an article that should explain things more for you:

http://www.cosmetics.../art.asp?ID=159

#27 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(The_Snow_Queen @ Dec 13 2006, 05:49 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Ami @ Dec 13 2006, 04:23 PM) View Post

The biggest difference between alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids is that beta hydroxy acid can effectively exfoliate inside the pore and not just the skin's surface, whereas alpha hydroxy acids are best at exfoliating just the skin's surface.

The only thing I would add to that is that mandelic acid is somewhat special. It's an AHA that acts kind of like a BHA .... it exfoliates inside the pores as well as on the surface. It does not penetrate quite as deeply into the pores as salicylic acid, however.

#28 StrLight

StrLight

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:21 AM

thanks for the reply! right now im using

t-zone clear pore face wash
aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, ammonium laurly sulfate, propylene glycol, peg-7 glycery cocoate, peg-55 propylene glycol oleate, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree), zingiber officinale (ginger), dimethicone propyl pg-betaome, parfum, sodium chloride, citric acid, magnesium nitrate, magnesium chloride, phenoxyethanol, methyldibromoglutaronitrile, methychloroisothiazolinone, methylparaben, methylisothiazolinone, butylparaben, ethyparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben.

dans bp

simple hydrating light moisturiser
Aqua, Glycerin, Paraffinum Liquidum, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Cetyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Borago Officinalis, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Bisabolol, Methylparaben, Pentylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Lactic Acid, Sodium Lactate, Mica, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Serine, Sorbitol, Urea, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Allantoin

i do this USUALLY every night unless i forget, no spf, i bp my whole face and moisturizer my whole face.

bp is not being effective as it was and the pore exfoliating of the BHA gel sounds like it will help clear me

#29 ZoeBee

ZoeBee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:30 AM

quote]

I think what you're saying is that you used Diacneal to treat a breakout of whiteheads, and those whiteheads became inflamed after using Diacneal. I'm not really sure if you're saying that you got a new breakout after using Diacneal, or just that your old breakout got worse.

How did you apply Diacneal, what other specific products were you using, and how long after using Diacneal did you experience a new breakout (if you did beacuse I'm not sure what you're saying)?

Lots of people who don't have acne like to use retinoids and exfoliants to improve the health of their skin; using these products when you don't "need" them doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a breakout.
[/quote]

Yes, that's correct I used Diacneal to treat my breakout of whiteheads, and in doing so the whiteheads purged and turned into inflammed pimples. Now they are gone, but I am wondering if I should continue to use Diacneal or not on this area of my face that I'm assuming is now prone. I had a facial last night (it was terrific) and she says to just let it be and to use Diacneal on my active spots.

To answer your questions I used Diacneal for about a month before the whiteheads became pimples and I continued to use it (inconsistantly mind you) for another 2 months thereafter. The only other products I was using at the time was 5% BP on the active pimples only and a mild cleanser (Aveeno) with Complex 15 as a moisturiser.

I just don't know what to do anymore, I hear a lot of conflicting advice!
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

#30 Laura123

Laura123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:32 AM

I don't tolerate SA very well, even with the aspirin mask, does this rule out SA for me entirely.

#31 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE(tc9 @ Dec 14 2006, 05:30 AM) View Post
Yes, that's correct I used Diacneal to treat my breakout of whiteheads, and in doing so the whiteheads purged and turned into inflammed pimples. Now they are gone, but I am wondering if I should continue to use Diacneal or not on this area of my face that I'm assuming is now prone. I had a facial last night (it was terrific) and she says to just let it be and to use Diacneal on my active spots.

To answer your questions I used Diacneal for about a month before the whiteheads became pimples and I continued to use it (inconsistantly mind you) for another 2 months thereafter. The only other products I was using at the time was 5% BP on the active pimples only and a mild cleanser (Aveeno) with Complex 15 as a moisturiser.

Oh, no ....... I just lost a lot of respect for your esthetician. Retinoids are not effective spot treatments. They are for skin transformation; they speed up the rate at which your skin cells regenerate, normalize keratinization, and stimulate collagen production. If you are going to use the Diacneal at all, you should use it on your entire face on a regular basis; otherwise it's pretty much useless.

I think that once your skin has purged, it's good to keep using a topical retinoid to keep your pores clear. So why not continue with the Diacneal? It won't clog your pores or cause breakouts; it does purge stuff that's already in your pores, but it sounds like you're in pretty good shape now. The retinaldehyde will improve your skin tone and keep your pores clear, and the glycolic acid will exfoliate the surface. This is just good skin maintenance.

If you want to quit using the product entirely, that's your decision .... but remember that if your pores clog up again, you will have to go through another purging period to get them clear again. Personally, I'd prefer maintenance.

#32 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(Laura123 @ Dec 14 2006, 05:32 AM) View Post
I don't tolerate SA very well, even with the aspirin mask, does this rule out SA for me entirely.

I don't think so. Read The Snow Queen's reply to beentheredonethat.

I have never tolerated SA well either, but this product is giving me no trouble at all.

#33 A-Shizzle

A-Shizzle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:42 AM

I just placed an order for the BHA 2% (samples) since I've been using AHA for months and already purged hopefully I won't puge again with this.
Thanks so much for all the help LQ and SQ - muchly appreciated!

#34 D0X

D0X

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:04 PM

Can someone tell me exactly what "purge" is?

#35 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE(D0X @ Dec 14 2006, 10:04 AM) View Post
Can someone tell me exactly what "purge" is?

When you use retinoids, a bunch of things start happening inside your skin. The skin cells regenerate much faster than normal. Also, the dead skin cells are less sticky and less likely to clump together. So the stuff that's plugging up your pores (comedones and sebum plugs) starts loosening up and being gradually pushed to the surface. This is called purging.

If you're lucky, a lot of these plugs will just push their way out through your pores and get cleared away when you cleanse or exfoliate your face. If you are unlucky, they will turn into inflamed pimples.

People debate a lot over when this initial breakout shows up, but I think most people see it in 4-6 weeks.

#36 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE(StrLight @ Dec 14 2006, 05:21 AM) View Post

aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, ammonium laurly sulfate, propylene glycol, peg-7 glycery cocoate, peg-55 propylene glycol oleate, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree), zingiber officinale (ginger), dimethicone propyl pg-betaome, parfum, sodium chloride, citric acid, magnesium nitrate, magnesium chloride, phenoxyethanol, methyldibromoglutaronitrile, methychloroisothiazolinone, methylparaben, methylisothiazolinone, butylparaben, ethyparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben.

dans bp

Aqua, Glycerin, Paraffinum Liquidum, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Cetyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Borago Officinalis, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Bisabolol, Methylparaben, Pentylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Lactic Acid, Sodium Lactate, Mica, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Serine, Sorbitol, Urea, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Allantoin

i do this USUALLY every night unless i forget, no spf, i bp my whole face and moisturizer my whole face.

bp is not being effective as it was and the pore exfoliating of the BHA gel sounds like it will help clear me

I am concerned about the ginger in your cleanser. Since the cleanser is not in contact with the skin for any significant length of time, it is hard to say how much of a problem the ginger would be, but unnecessary irritants are best avoided.

Medicated cleansers are no more effective for treating acne than unmedicated cleansers because the medication does not have time to work. If you let the cleanser sit on your skin in hopes of giving the cleanser time to work, you're also giving the surfectants time to irritate your skin. Tea tree oil, although it does have some research indicating that it is effective for the treatment of acne, is only thought to be effective in concentrations of 5%-15%, and your cleanser most likely has much less than what is needed. Even if this product did have enough, it wouldn't matter because, as mentioned above, it's washed away.

Your moisturizer is fine. It does contain mica, though, which adds shimmer to the skin, which you might not like. Make sure you moisturize dry areas only rather than the entire face, as unnecessary moisturization can lead to breakouts.

Sunscreen is very important and especially for those using most acne treatments. UVA and UVB rays penetrate cloud cover, and UVA rays penetrate glass. Sun damage is cumulative and happens before you start to tan. Sun damage (specifically from UVA rays) has been linked to causing premature aging and malignant melanoma. The damage affects acne sufferers by causing the skin to thicken and prematurely killing skin cells, both of which can be a factor in the development of new clogged pores. It also damages the skin's ability to function normally.

#37 ZoeBee

ZoeBee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE(LionQueen @ Dec 14 2006, 12:30 PM) View Post
QUOTE(tc9 @ Dec 14 2006, 05:30 AM) View Post

Oh, no ....... I just lost a lot of respect for your esthetician. Retinoids are not effective spot treatments. They are for skin transformation; they speed up the rate at which your skin cells regenerate, normalize keratinization, and stimulate collagen production. If you are going to use the Diacneal at all, you should use it on your entire face on a regular basis; otherwise it's pretty much useless.

I think that once your skin has purged, it's good to keep using a topical retinoid to keep your pores clear. So why not continue with the Diacneal? It won't clog your pores or cause breakouts; it does purge stuff that's already in your pores, but it sounds like you're in pretty good shape now. The retinaldehyde will improve your skin tone and keep your pores clear, and the glycolic acid will exfoliate the surface. This is just good skin maintenance.

If you want to quit using the product entirely, that's your decision .... but remember that if your pores clog up again, you will have to go through another purging period to get them clear again. Personally, I'd prefer maintenance.

OH boy. Ya I was sorta shocked too but I wonder if it was more of a language barrier (she's french) but I just don't think she knows much about retinoids (obviously). At any rate she still did an awesome job on my face and i'm actually clear right now (knock on wood) with no signs of those nasty little whiteheads or anything else on the way.
But she did give me a few samples to take home and use. One is Collagen Gel. I don't know exactly what it does but it certainly doesn't seem to be hurting. Actually I don't know if it's my imagination or if it's just a coincidence but my redmarks seem to be fading. She only has me putting that stuff on the bottom half of my face (where the infections occured). The rest of my face she says was extremely dehydrated so she gave me another cream (not sure what it's called) for the top half. The products are by Renaud. She also gave me a mask to do twice a week. Can't recall the name of that either but I'll check when I get home and post it.

Thanks for your feedback...

#38 StrLight

StrLight

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(The_Snow_Queen @ Dec 15 2006, 06:30 AM) View Post

dans bp

I am concerned about the ginger in your cleanser. Since the cleanser is not in contact with the skin for any significant length of time, it is hard to say how much of a problem the ginger would be, but unnecessary irritants are best avoided.

Medicated cleansers are no more effective for treating acne than unmedicated cleansers because the medication does not have time to work. If you let the cleanser sit on your skin in hopes of giving the cleanser time to work, you're also giving the surfectants time to irritate your skin. Tea tree oil, although it does have some research indicating that it is effective for the treatment of acne, is only thought to be effective in concentrations of 5%-15%, and your cleanser most likely has much less than what is needed. Even if this product did have enough, it wouldn't matter because, as mentioned above, it's washed away.

Your moisturizer is fine. It does contain mica, though, which adds shimmer to the skin, which you might not like. Make sure you moisturize dry areas only rather than the entire face, as unnecessary moisturization can lead to breakouts.

Sunscreen is very important and especially for those using most acne treatments. UVA and UVB rays penetrate cloud cover, and UVA rays penetrate glass. Sun damage is cumulative and happens before you start to tan. Sun damage (specifically from UVA rays) has been linked to causing premature aging and malignant melanoma. The damage affects acne sufferers by causing the skin to thicken and prematurely killing skin cells, both of which can be a factor in the development of new clogged pores. It also damages the skin's ability to function normally.

iam going to buy the BHA gel right now and use with the bp like you suggested, i dont leave the cleanser on my skin i just wash it off but i think after it finishes ill just use mild water to clean my face. ill also start looking for a moisturizer with spf in it.

after i apply the BHA gel do i apply the bp right away or wait for the BHA to dry? also if i spot treat with the BHA like leave a blob on and no bp would it be effective?

#39 allieOop

allieOop

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:09 PM

Ijust got my paula's choice bha liquid in the mail and i'm wondering how to fit it into my regime.. i was thinking something like this

morning
cleanse with arbonne intelligence cleanser
exfoliate with 2% bha
moisturize/protect with cetaphyl spf moisturizer (looking to change this)

night
cleanser with purpose liquid cleanser
spot treat with dan's bp

let me know please

#40 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(StrLight @ Dec 15 2006, 08:02 AM) View Post
QUOTE(The_Snow_Queen @ Dec 15 2006, 06:30 AM) View Post

dans bp

iam going to buy the BHA gel right now and use with the bp like you suggested, i dont leave the cleanser on my skin i just wash it off but i think after it finishes ill just use mild water to clean my face. ill also start looking for a moisturizer with spf in it.

after i apply the BHA gel do i apply the bp right away or wait for the BHA to dry? also if i spot treat with the BHA like leave a blob on and no bp would it be effective?

You'll want to use the BHA Gel all over your face (except on areas of the skin that have been freshly shaved and the eye area); not just as a spot treatment. The reason why is because in addition to the clogged pores you can see on your face now, there are also new clogged pores forming under your skin that haven't become visible yet. They can take around two weeks to form. I know it can be really hard to resist using big globs of product, but please don't. If the BHA Gel isn't absorbing easily, you're using too much.

Anyway, after you apply the BHA Gel, you can apply the DKR Gel. If you're having problems with irritation, you can wait about fifteen minutes to apply the benzoyl peroxide, but otherwise as long as it doesn't feel like you can wipe away the BHA Gel you can apply the DKR Gel next.

I really don't recommend cleansing with just water because water alone doesn't effectively remove surface debris from the skin. Instead you could try a mild cleanser like Eucerin's Redness Relief, or if you have another cleanser in mind you want to ask about I'll be happy to give you my opinion. Make sure you use lukewarm water as opposed to hot or cold because it is the gentlest.