Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clearing pores, getting rid of tiny bumps

188 posts in this topic

THANK YOU LIONQUEEN!!!

My current regimen:

AM

Cleanse with Avene Cleanance

Moisturize with Complex 15 only on dry areas

PM

Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel (only 3x a week)

Diacneal

Tricyclen BCP

*Advil daily one week prior to menstruation

*drink lots of water all througout the day and stay away from pop.

*use mainly mineral makeup

NOTE: I totally stopped using BP as a spot treatment because it just dries the pimple out TOO much and the skin around it. The flakes end up looking worse than the pimple and it's impossible to cover. Plus it leaves a mark.

so i ordered it and got it from garden of wisdom and they threw in a 'cranberry toner' for free. id like to make use of it since it is free, how do you think i should incorporate this as well as using the mandelic. im not using any green cream, just washing my face befroe i put on the mandelic acid. so would i put on the toner after the mandelic dries and maybe twice a week? or would i even need to do it?

so i ordered it and got it from garden of wisdom and they threw in a 'cranberry toner' for free. id like to make use of it since it is free, how do you think i should incorporate this as well as using the mandelic. im not using any green cream, just washing my face befroe i put on the mandelic acid. so would i put on the toner after the mandelic dries and maybe twice a week? or would i even need to do it?

Retired from Acne.org

hey, just an update.

my skin is doing a lot better. the redness is gone as well as the burning. ^_^ I've been just using the cleanser, toner and dove moisturizer these couple of days. i'll start using the 2% BHA on monday and until my skin gets comfortable with that, i will not use the green cream until then. i have learned my lesson.

here's to good skin! :-*

Finished accutane on 1/20/08

Tane is one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life.

Current Regimen:

Morning

Wash with Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild Formula

Moisturize with Dove Sensitive Essentials Fragrance Free Day Lotion

Apply Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 30 (Great Primer)

Make-up: Everyday Minerals

Night

Part of the EM Cult =)

Biggest Mistakes

that link has a lot of possible cleansers, moisturizers, etc that you might want to consider. i started using the clinique cleanser and dove moisturizer a couple of weeks ago. i really really like them, especially the dove moisturizer because it doesn't leave me oily like others do. But the clinique cleanser leaves me feeling a bit dry but it's not a problem since the nivea toner takes care of that for me.

Current Regimen:

Morning

Night

Part of the EM Cult =)

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on Paula's Choice products:

I read about Paula's Choice on this website at the beginning of last May and ordered them immediately. I've been on them for almost 9 months, and they've helped my skin considerably. My skin would actually probably be clear now if I hadn't stopped using her 2% BHA gel for a couple of months because I was convinced that it was making my skin oily. (It turned out to have been my diet and the B5 supplement I took daily.)

I've never tried GC, but Differin has helped my skin texture in the way that Lion Queen describes GC helping hers.

My skin type: Prone to clogged pores and lots of papules, Very oily (or it used to be...keeping a better diet and sleeping hours has helped significantly reduce the oiliness)

Morning:

1) In shower, wash with PC Skin Balancing Cleanser for Oily/Combination Skin

2) Immediately after getting out, using PC Skin Balancing Toner and PC 2% BHA gel back-to-back

3) If there are any active inflamed zits, wait about 30 min and apply a bit of Dan's BP.

With dinner: Multivitamin, zinc supplement, birth control that helps skin

Evening:

1) Wash with above cleanser

2) Apply above toner

3) Apply Differin

Et voila!

Can you use jojoba oil after PC's BHA liquid?

Morning

MD Forte Facial Cleanser II

PC 2% BHA Liquid

Moisturise

Suncreen

Makeup Base

Makeup

Makeup removal

The healing garden cleansing milk

Cleanse again

Night

PC 2% BHA Liquid on T zone

Retin A Cream on T zone

Alpha Hydrox 12% AHA Souffle on cheeks

Every other morning exfoliate with ponds microdermabrasion srub

Every 2 or 3 days, use Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel

"Don't use Diacneal and a salicylic acid product together, since you should never use two exfoliants at once."

I was just re-reading a lot of this post and noticed that Snow queen made this statement and now I'm worried because I am using Diacneal AND 2% BHA (which is an exfoliant, is it not?). I've been using the BHA gel for just a little less than a week now and so far no irritation. I use it in the AM after cleansing and use the Diacneal at night. I have noticed a few extra zits here and there and I'm guessing I'm purging? I can handle it so long as it doesnt' get out of control. I have only been using the diacneal on the affected parts of my face but i havent noticed any "uneveness" in colour/tone etc on my face overall. I do put some occasionally on my forhead and cheeks but I guess it's pointless if I'm not consistent.

Is there or is there not a problem with using both these products? Should I expect an IB with this BHA?

Thanks...

My current regimen:

AM

PM

Diacneal

Tricyclen BCP

NOTE: I totally stopped using BP as a spot treatment because it just dries the pimple out TOO much and the skin around it. The flakes end up looking worse than the pimple and it's impossible to cover. Plus it leaves a mark.

Can you use jojoba oil after PC's BHA liquid?

Retired from Acne.org

"Don't use Diacneal and a salicylic acid product together, since you should never use two exfoliants at once."

I was just re-reading a lot of this post and noticed that Snow queen made this statement and now I'm worried because I am using Diacneal AND 2% BHA (which is an exfoliant, is it not?). I've been using the BHA gel for just a little less than a week now and so far no irritation. I use it in the AM after cleansing and use the Diacneal at night. I have noticed a few extra zits here and there and I'm guessing I'm purging? I can handle it so long as it doesnt' get out of control. I have only been using the diacneal on the affected parts of my face but i havent noticed any "uneveness" in colour/tone etc on my face overall. I do put some occasionally on my forhead and cheeks but I guess it's pointless if I'm not consistent.

Is there or is there not a problem with using both these products? Should I expect an IB with this BHA?

Thanks...

Retired from Acne.org

Thanks...

I guess Snow Queen and I have different takes on this. I use BHAs and AHAs and retinol, and it works for me.

If you aren't getting redness or irritation from the BHA/Diacneal combination, I don't see why you shouldn't stick with it.

The BHAs will help loosen the comedones ... it should also help keep inflammation down. It may speed the purging process but it shouldn't make it more severe, if that makes sense.

Keep an eye on the breakouts ... purging doesn't last forever. You've already been using Diacneal for awhile, but since your regimen has been inconsistent, it's hard to know what's going on. Keep us posted.

My current regimen:

AM

PM

Diacneal

Tricyclen BCP

I have question, i've been using paula's choice 2% BHA gel for about 2-3 weeks now and it's basically done nothing. I've noticed I don't get as many whiteheads on my cheeks anymore, but I still have a bunch of clogged pores on my forehead. Do you think I should still stick with it and see how it goes?

Also I'm using FOTE 100% Aloe Vera gel over PC's BHA gel and since using that for 3 days now those clogged pores seem to be coming the surface more, would this be considered some sort of IB from the aloe?

One last thing is queen helene's mint julep mask really as good as people say it is? I was thinking about purchasing some.

I have question, i've been using paula's choice 2% BHA gel for about 2-3 weeks now and it's basically done nothing. I've noticed I don't get as many whiteheads on my cheeks anymore, but I still have a bunch of clogged pores on my forehead. Do you think I should still stick with it and see how it goes?

Also I'm using FOTE 100% Aloe Vera gel over PC's BHA gel and since using that for 3 days now those clogged pores seem to be coming the surface more, would this be considered some sort of IB from the aloe?

One last thing is queen helene's mint julep mask really as good as people say it is? I was thinking about purchasing some.

Here's the thing with the BHA gel ... it isn't going to just melt the blackheads and whiteheads away. It'll loosen things up inside the pore so that the comedones can escape, and it helps to prevent new ones from forming (so don't quit using it!) ... but you still have to get rid of the old comedones that are still sitting there blocking your pores.

Over the next month or so, those should work their way to the surface and get wiped away. You can hurry the process along a bit by using a mild topical retinoid such as Green Cream or Diacneal or Vivant ... you can also go see an aesthetician and get some extractions done.

I've never used aloe, so can't comment on that ... I've never heard that it causes purging, though.

Be very conservative with that mask if you decide to use it .... don't leave it on your face very long and don't use it more than once (maybe twice) a week. It contains sulfur, which is antibacterial but also very drying, and clay masks tend to pull moisture out of your skin anyway. Dehydrated skin is more prone to comedone formation; you may also have problems with irritation, since you are using BHAs. Personally, I wouldn't use it except as a spot treatment; it's good at drying things up.

Retired from Acne.org

Note to all thread subscribers: this thread is now pinned!

Retired from Acne.org

Note to all thread subscribers: this thread is now pinned!

yay! :dance:

Current Regimen:

Morning

Night

Part of the EM Cult =)

Seems like most people are using BHA gel instead of the liqud? Is there a difference?

Oh u said it would be better if I use a milder retin a. But Im using 0.05% retin a cream and I still get bumps/ clogged pores.

Morning

PC 2% BHA Liquid

Moisturise

Suncreen

Makeup Base

Makeup

Makeup removal

Cleanse again

Night

Retin A Cream on T zone

Seems like most people are using BHA gel instead of the liqud? Is there a difference?

Oh u said it would be better if I use a milder retin a. But Im using 0.05% retin a cream and I still get bumps/ clogged pores.

Snow Queen uses the liquid and likes it a lot ... it sounds like her skin is oilier than mine, though. It's really just a matter of personal preference. You might want to get samples of each.

How long have you been using Retin A, and how has your skin reacted to it?

Retired from Acne.org

I have this exact same problem of tiny bumps and closed comedones on my forehead. I just ordered Paula's Choice BHA gel and the skin balancing cleanser. Can someone recommend me a decent shampoo also, as I feel like what I currently use (garnier fructis) may be compounding the problem. I'd like to avoid a dandruff shampoo as last time I tried them they made my curly hair limp and frizzy.

Did the Paula's choice BHA really make a difference to you LQ?

I ordered the crap on Sunday, card was charged Monday morning and I still haven't gotten any shipment e-mail. I'm riding it out with the harsh SA astringent in the mean time since I stopped it for a few days and my chin broke out right after I shaved. :(

I guess I'll have to wait another month for the shit to get here. :lol::(

BTW, can you use something like cetaphil lotion after the gel is absorbed(if I feel dry)?

I'm definitely impressed with it. I was pretty clear when I started using it, because I'd already been using Green Cream and mandelic acid for months -- but I had to drop the mandelic from my regimen because it was drying out my skin too much once the weather turned cold, and as soon as I did that, my pores started getting really congested again.

I hate comedonal acne .... it NEVER lets up. NEVER.

The PC BHAs are keeping my pores in really good shape without drying or irritating my skin at all, even though I'm also using retinol and lactic acid. This is the best SA product I know of. I hope you like it as much as I do ..... once you finally receive it ....

And yes, you can use a moisturizer after the gel is absorbed .... just wait 30 minutes to give the SA time to work.

Retired from Acne.org

I'm out of town through the weekend .... if any questions come up for anyone, I'll get back to you next week.

Oh, and Baron, on the shampoo .... I don't really know what to recommend. I use Pureology products, which are sulfate-free and wonderful for both my hair and skin, but they're hard to find and cost a mint.

Aveda products are good, and gentle ....

Retired from Acne.org

Snow Queen uses the liquid and likes it a lot ... it sounds like her skin is oilier than mine, though. It's really just a matter of personal preference. You might want to get samples of each.

I've been using it for a few months I think only for my forehead nose and chin. I alternate with 12% AHA. While my skin is less bumpy, it hasnt been completely flawless. I still get bumps and they come and go all the time. My right cheek has persistent bumps. So recently I applied 0.01% of retin a. My left cheek doesnt have bumps. So the problem is mainly on my forehead and cheek. The right cheek's the worst. Stubborn bumps.

Morning

PC 2% BHA Liquid

Moisturise

Suncreen

Makeup Base

Makeup

Makeup removal

Cleanse again

Night

Retin A Cream on T zone

I've been using it for a few months I think only for my forehead nose and chin. I alternate with 12% AHA. While my skin is less bumpy, it hasnt been completely flawless. I still get bumps and they come and go all the time. My right cheek has persistent bumps. So recently I applied 0.01% of retin a. My left cheek doesnt have bumps. So the problem is mainly on my forehead and cheek. The right cheek's the worst. Stubborn bumps.

:shock: You are my twin! My left side is basically flawless, just one small papule that's forming and redmarks, but my right side has all these bumps. Also the right side is the side my hair is no covering, go figure. And my forehead is covered with them too, they are worst around my temples. :doubt:

what exactly is comedonal acne?

LION QUEEN- i want to order the paulas choice but i have problems with dry skin. will it make my skin drier than it is? also i noticed in one reply that somone was putting moisturizer over green cream. is that ok- or does the green cream have any moisturizing properties whatsoever? i am having success right now with baking soda scrub/ACV toner/and egg white and lemon mask- i dont have any active or inflamed acne- just clogged pores (hard white gunk) that i cant seem to get rid of. oh and i use retin-a at night (every other night cause it dries me out too much) so before i spend the money on the BHA and GC, i would appreciate your expertise. because you are the queen...of course ;) and based on your vast sea of knowledge made evident by your posts- i trust your opinion. thanks in advance!