Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LionQueen

Clearing pores, getting rid of tiny bumps

188 posts in this topic

how are aha's and bha's different.

the green cream sounds great for me..i get small bumps that last forever on my chin..the never do anything..just stay there for months and months..then go away.

The biggest difference between alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids is that beta hydroxy acid can effectively exfoliate inside the pore and not just the skin's surface, whereas alpha hydroxy acids are best at exfoliating just the skin's surface.

Here's an article that should explain things more for you:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=159

My Clear Skin Maintenance Regimen

Morning

Wash with Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash

()

Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid

()

Selectively Moisturize with CeraVe Moisturizer

()

Protect with Clinique City Block Sheer Oil-Free Daily Face Protector; SPF 15

Evening

()

()

Normalize skin cell production with Retin-A Micro 0.1% Tretinoin Gel

()

how are aha's and bha's different.

The biggest difference between alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids is that beta hydroxy acid can effectively exfoliate inside the pore and not just the skin's surface, whereas alpha hydroxy acids are best at exfoliating just the skin's surface.

The only thing I would add to that is that mandelic acid is somewhat special. It's an AHA that acts kind of like a BHA .... it exfoliates inside the pores as well as on the surface. It does not penetrate quite as deeply into the pores as salicylic acid, however.

Retired from Acne.org

thanks for the reply! right now im using

t-zone clear pore face wash

aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, ammonium laurly sulfate, propylene glycol, peg-7 glycery cocoate, peg-55 propylene glycol oleate, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree), zingiber officinale (ginger), dimethicone propyl pg-betaome, parfum, sodium chloride, citric acid, magnesium nitrate, magnesium chloride, phenoxyethanol, methyldibromoglutaronitrile, methychloroisothiazolinone, methylparaben, methylisothiazolinone, butylparaben, ethyparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben.

dans bp

simple hydrating light moisturiser

Aqua, Glycerin, Paraffinum Liquidum, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Cetyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Borago Officinalis, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Bisabolol, Methylparaben, Pentylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Lactic Acid, Sodium Lactate, Mica, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Serine, Sorbitol, Urea, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Allantoin

i do this USUALLY every night unless i forget, no spf, i bp my whole face and moisturizer my whole face.

bp is not being effective as it was and the pore exfoliating of the BHA gel sounds like it will help clear me

morning

johnson's head-to-toe baby wash

simple replenishing rich moisturiser

night

apply some jojoba oil

started taking 7 pine's wheatgrass tablets daily

alot of spots on left cheek

quote]

I think what you're saying is that you used Diacneal to treat a breakout of whiteheads, and those whiteheads became inflamed after using Diacneal. I'm not really sure if you're saying that you got a new breakout after using Diacneal, or just that your old breakout got worse.

How did you apply Diacneal, what other specific products were you using, and how long after using Diacneal did you experience a new breakout (if you did beacuse I'm not sure what you're saying)?

Lots of people who don't have acne like to use retinoids and exfoliants to improve the health of their skin; using these products when you don't "need" them doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a breakout.

My current regimen:

AM

Cleanse with Avene Cleanance

Moisturize with Complex 15 only on dry areas

PM

Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel (only 3x a week)

Diacneal

Tricyclen BCP

*Advil daily one week prior to menstruation

*drink lots of water all througout the day and stay away from pop.

*use mainly mineral makeup

NOTE: I totally stopped using BP as a spot treatment because it just dries the pimple out TOO much and the skin around it. The flakes end up looking worse than the pimple and it's impossible to cover. Plus it leaves a mark.

Yes, that's correct I used Diacneal to treat my breakout of whiteheads, and in doing so the whiteheads purged and turned into inflammed pimples. Now they are gone, but I am wondering if I should continue to use Diacneal or not on this area of my face that I'm assuming is now prone. I had a facial last night (it was terrific) and she says to just let it be and to use Diacneal on my active spots.

To answer your questions I used Diacneal for about a month before the whiteheads became pimples and I continued to use it (inconsistantly mind you) for another 2 months thereafter. The only other products I was using at the time was 5% BP on the active pimples only and a mild cleanser (Aveeno) with Complex 15 as a moisturiser.

Oh, no ....... I just lost a lot of respect for your esthetician. Retinoids are not effective spot treatments. They are for skin transformation; they speed up the rate at which your skin cells regenerate, normalize keratinization, and stimulate collagen production. If you are going to use the Diacneal at all, you should use it on your entire face on a regular basis; otherwise it's pretty much useless.

I think that once your skin has purged, it's good to keep using a topical retinoid to keep your pores clear. So why not continue with the Diacneal? It won't clog your pores or cause breakouts; it does purge stuff that's already in your pores, but it sounds like you're in pretty good shape now. The retinaldehyde will improve your skin tone and keep your pores clear, and the glycolic acid will exfoliate the surface. This is just good skin maintenance.

If you want to quit using the product entirely, that's your decision .... but remember that if your pores clog up again, you will have to go through another purging period to get them clear again. Personally, I'd prefer maintenance.

Retired from Acne.org

I don't tolerate SA very well, even with the aspirin mask, does this rule out SA for me entirely.

I don't think so. Read The Snow Queen's reply to beentheredonethat.

I have never tolerated SA well either, but this product is giving me no trouble at all.

Retired from Acne.org

I just placed an order for the BHA 2% (samples) since I've been using AHA for months and already purged hopefully I won't puge again with this.

Thanks so much for all the help LQ and SQ - muchly appreciated!

Can someone tell me exactly what "purge" is?

When you use retinoids, a bunch of things start happening inside your skin. The skin cells regenerate much faster than normal. Also, the dead skin cells are less sticky and less likely to clump together. So the stuff that's plugging up your pores (comedones and sebum plugs) starts loosening up and being gradually pushed to the surface. This is called purging.

If you're lucky, a lot of these plugs will just push their way out through your pores and get cleared away when you cleanse or exfoliate your face. If you are unlucky, they will turn into inflamed pimples.

People debate a lot over when this initial breakout shows up, but I think most people see it in 4-6 weeks.

Retired from Acne.org

aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine, ammonium laurly sulfate, propylene glycol, peg-7 glycery cocoate, peg-55 propylene glycol oleate, melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree), zingiber officinale (ginger), dimethicone propyl pg-betaome, parfum, sodium chloride, citric acid, magnesium nitrate, magnesium chloride, phenoxyethanol, methyldibromoglutaronitrile, methychloroisothiazolinone, methylparaben, methylisothiazolinone, butylparaben, ethyparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben.

dans bp

Aqua, Glycerin, Paraffinum Liquidum, Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Cetyl Palmitate, Dimethicone, Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Borago Officinalis, Carbomer, Potassium Hydroxide, Bisabolol, Methylparaben, Pentylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Propylparaben, Lactic Acid, Sodium Lactate, Mica, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Serine, Sorbitol, Urea, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Allantoin

i do this USUALLY every night unless i forget, no spf, i bp my whole face and moisturizer my whole face.

bp is not being effective as it was and the pore exfoliating of the BHA gel sounds like it will help clear me

I am concerned about the ginger in your cleanser. Since the cleanser is not in contact with the skin for any significant length of time, it is hard to say how much of a problem the ginger would be, but unnecessary irritants are best avoided.

Medicated cleansers are no more effective for treating acne than unmedicated cleansers because the medication does not have time to work. If you let the cleanser sit on your skin in hopes of giving the cleanser time to work, you're also giving the surfectants time to irritate your skin. Tea tree oil, although it does have some research indicating that it is effective for the treatment of acne, is only thought to be effective in concentrations of 5%-15%, and your cleanser most likely has much less than what is needed. Even if this product did have enough, it wouldn't matter because, as mentioned above, it's washed away.

Your moisturizer is fine. It does contain mica, though, which adds shimmer to the skin, which you might not like. Make sure you moisturize dry areas only rather than the entire face, as unnecessary moisturization can lead to breakouts.

Sunscreen is very important and especially for those using most acne treatments. UVA and UVB rays penetrate cloud cover, and UVA rays penetrate glass. Sun damage is cumulative and happens before you start to tan. Sun damage (specifically from UVA rays) has been linked to causing premature aging and malignant melanoma. The damage affects acne sufferers by causing the skin to thicken and prematurely killing skin cells, both of which can be a factor in the development of new clogged pores. It also damages the skin's ability to function normally.

Morning

()

()

()

Evening

()

()

()

Yes, that's correct I used Diacneal to treat my breakout of whiteheads, and in doing so the whiteheads purged and turned into inflammed pimples. Now they are gone, but I am wondering if I should continue to use Diacneal or not on this area of my face that I'm assuming is now prone. I had a facial last night (it was terrific) and she says to just let it be and to use Diacneal on my active spots.

To answer your questions I used Diacneal for about a month before the whiteheads became pimples and I continued to use it (inconsistantly mind you) for another 2 months thereafter. The only other products I was using at the time was 5% BP on the active pimples only and a mild cleanser (Aveeno) with Complex 15 as a moisturiser.

Oh, no ....... I just lost a lot of respect for your esthetician. Retinoids are not effective spot treatments. They are for skin transformation; they speed up the rate at which your skin cells regenerate, normalize keratinization, and stimulate collagen production. If you are going to use the Diacneal at all, you should use it on your entire face on a regular basis; otherwise it's pretty much useless.

I think that once your skin has purged, it's good to keep using a topical retinoid to keep your pores clear. So why not continue with the Diacneal? It won't clog your pores or cause breakouts; it does purge stuff that's already in your pores, but it sounds like you're in pretty good shape now. The retinaldehyde will improve your skin tone and keep your pores clear, and the glycolic acid will exfoliate the surface. This is just good skin maintenance.

If you want to quit using the product entirely, that's your decision .... but remember that if your pores clog up again, you will have to go through another purging period to get them clear again. Personally, I'd prefer maintenance.

OH boy. Ya I was sorta shocked too but I wonder if it was more of a language barrier (she's french) but I just don't think she knows much about retinoids (obviously). At any rate she still did an awesome job on my face and i'm actually clear right now (knock on wood) with no signs of those nasty little whiteheads or anything else on the way.

But she did give me a few samples to take home and use. One is Collagen Gel. I don't know exactly what it does but it certainly doesn't seem to be hurting. Actually I don't know if it's my imagination or if it's just a coincidence but my redmarks seem to be fading. She only has me putting that stuff on the bottom half of my face (where the infections occured). The rest of my face she says was extremely dehydrated so she gave me another cream (not sure what it's called) for the top half. The products are by Renaud. She also gave me a mask to do twice a week. Can't recall the name of that either but I'll check when I get home and post it.

Thanks for your feedback...

My current regimen:

AM

Moisturize with Complex 15 only on dry areas

PM

Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel (only 3x a week)

Diacneal

Tricyclen BCP

*Advil daily one week prior to menstruation

*drink lots of water all througout the day and stay away from pop.

*use mainly mineral makeup

NOTE: I totally stopped using BP as a spot treatment because it just dries the pimple out TOO much and the skin around it. The flakes end up looking worse than the pimple and it's impossible to cover. Plus it leaves a mark.

dans bp

I am concerned about the ginger in your cleanser. Since the cleanser is not in contact with the skin for any significant length of time, it is hard to say how much of a problem the ginger would be, but unnecessary irritants are best avoided.

Medicated cleansers are no more effective for treating acne than unmedicated cleansers because the medication does not have time to work. If you let the cleanser sit on your skin in hopes of giving the cleanser time to work, you're also giving the surfectants time to irritate your skin. Tea tree oil, although it does have some research indicating that it is effective for the treatment of acne, is only thought to be effective in concentrations of 5%-15%, and your cleanser most likely has much less than what is needed. Even if this product did have enough, it wouldn't matter because, as mentioned above, it's washed away.

Your moisturizer is fine. It does contain mica, though, which adds shimmer to the skin, which you might not like. Make sure you moisturize dry areas only rather than the entire face, as unnecessary moisturization can lead to breakouts.

Sunscreen is very important and especially for those using most acne treatments. UVA and UVB rays penetrate cloud cover, and UVA rays penetrate glass. Sun damage is cumulative and happens before you start to tan. Sun damage (specifically from UVA rays) has been linked to causing premature aging and malignant melanoma. The damage affects acne sufferers by causing the skin to thicken and prematurely killing skin cells, both of which can be a factor in the development of new clogged pores. It also damages the skin's ability to function normally.

iam going to buy the BHA gel right now and use with the bp like you suggested, i dont leave the cleanser on my skin i just wash it off but i think after it finishes ill just use mild water to clean my face. ill also start looking for a moisturizer with spf in it.

after i apply the BHA gel do i apply the bp right away or wait for the BHA to dry? also if i spot treat with the BHA like leave a blob on and no bp would it be effective?

morning

simple replenishing rich moisturiser

night

apply some jojoba oil

started taking 7 pine's wheatgrass tablets daily

alot of spots on left cheek

Ijust got my paula's choice bha liquid in the mail and i'm wondering how to fit it into my regime.. i was thinking something like this

morning

cleanse with arbonne intelligence cleanser

exfoliate with 2% bha

moisturize/protect with cetaphyl spf moisturizer (looking to change this)

night

cleanser with purpose liquid cleanser

spot treat with dan's bp

let me know please

dans bp

iam going to buy the BHA gel right now and use with the bp like you suggested, i dont leave the cleanser on my skin i just wash it off but i think after it finishes ill just use mild water to clean my face. ill also start looking for a moisturizer with spf in it.

after i apply the BHA gel do i apply the bp right away or wait for the BHA to dry? also if i spot treat with the BHA like leave a blob on and no bp would it be effective?

You'll want to use the BHA Gel all over your face (except on areas of the skin that have been freshly shaved and the eye area); not just as a spot treatment. The reason why is because in addition to the clogged pores you can see on your face now, there are also new clogged pores forming under your skin that haven't become visible yet. They can take around two weeks to form. I know it can be really hard to resist using big globs of product, but please don't. If the BHA Gel isn't absorbing easily, you're using too much.

Anyway, after you apply the BHA Gel, you can apply the DKR Gel. If you're having problems with irritation, you can wait about fifteen minutes to apply the benzoyl peroxide, but otherwise as long as it doesn't feel like you can wipe away the BHA Gel you can apply the DKR Gel next.

I really don't recommend cleansing with just water because water alone doesn't effectively remove surface debris from the skin. Instead you could try a mild cleanser like Eucerin's Redness Relief, or if you have another cleanser in mind you want to ask about I'll be happy to give you my opinion. Make sure you use lukewarm water as opposed to hot or cold because it is the gentlest.

Morning

()

()

()

Evening

()

()

()

Ijust got my paula's choice bha liquid in the mail and i'm wondering how to fit it into my regime.. i was thinking something like this

morning

exfoliate with 2% bha

night

spot treat with dan's bp

let me know please

As mentioned in another thread, the Arbonne Inteligence Cleanser is too likely to cause irritation and therfore shouldn't be used. It would be better for you to use Purpose's Liquid Cleanser morning and night.

There's nothing wrong with the Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 other than how basic it is. Dove's sunscreens are good, if you're looking to switch.

Other than that, your proposed regimen looks fine, but you can increase your applications of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid up to twice daily if you need to. You should apply the BHA Liquid prior to the DKR Gel.

1 person likes this

Morning

()

()

()

Evening

()

()

()

I just placed an order for the BHA 2% (samples) since I've been using AHA for months and already purged hopefully I won't puge again with this.

Thanks so much for all the help LQ and SQ - muchly appreciated!

I hope this product works well for you, Ami. I did have a little initial purging, which surprised me (I've been on Green Cream for a year now) but after a few weeks, my pores are so clear they are practically invisible. I am thrilled with it.

Retired from Acne.org

morning

exfoliate with 2% bha

night

spot treat with dan's bp

let me know please

As mentioned in another thread, the Arbonne Inteligence Cleanser is too likely to cause irritation and therfore shouldn't be used. It would be better for you to use Purpose's Liquid Cleanser morning and night.

There's nothing wrong with the Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 other than how basic it is. Dove's sunscreens are good, if you're looking to switch.

Other than that, your proposed regimen looks fine, but you can increase your applications of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid up to twice daily if you need to. You should apply the BHA Liquid prior to the DKR Gel.

mmm thanks! i had my breakouts under control until i started working 8-9 hours days and using the phone, touching my face etc. I hear the bha helps alot with clogged pores and oiliness. And I was talked into the Arbonne, but I do think you are absolutely right about the irritation. Especially when I was using it 3X daily. I'm going to stick with cetaphyl and purpose since they've worked for me.

Ordered some samples of Green Cream 3% and 6% in the trial pack from Linda Sy because everyone's been raving about it -- unfortunately they don't have 9% on the website yet, but I have sensitive skin so I'll just test out the 3% first. :) Do you know how long they last you? Long enough to see effective results?

And also, when I get it do I just start using it everyday right away? All over my face? I was going to start Retin-A, but this seems safer because its less concentrated and OTC...

Ordered some samples of Green Cream 3% and 6% in the trial pack from Linda Sy because everyone's been raving about it -- unfortunately they don't have 9% on the website yet, but I have sensitive skin so I'll just test out the 3% first. :) Do you know how long they last you? Long enough to see effective results?

And also, when I get it do I just start using it everyday right away? All over my face? I was going to start Retin-A, but this seems safer because its less concentrated and OTC...

Linda Sy will not sell you the Level 9 until your face is fully adjusted to Level 6 -- and you can't ever buy Level 9 on the website. You have to place a phone order. It's quite a powerful product and they don't want people using it unless they are well-informed about it.

Linda Sy will be sending you some very detailed instructions on how to use GC, but I'll just post this here for anyone else who's interested.

Since you describe your skin as sensitive, start out by using the Level 3 once every 2-3 nights. Use a pea-sized amount -- just enough to thinly cover your entire face. Apply it to clean skin and do not layer anything else over it for at least 30-45 minutes; the GC needs that time to absorb into your skin and be converted to retinoic acid. You don't want to interfere with that conversion. After 30-45 minutes you can moisturize if you want to.

Make sure you are using an extremely gentle cleanser with no active ingredients (see Snow Queen's recommendations earlier in this thread). Do NOT scrub your face; GC is going to make your skin more sensitive and delicate than you are accustomed to. Wash with fingertips and lukewarm water; pat dry gently with a clean towel.

I recommend taking omega-3 supplements (fish oil and/or flaxseed oil) to reinforce your epidermal lipid barrier while you are using GC (or any other retinoid). This will help to keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Drink plenty of water as well. And don't forget to wear sunscreen daily!!!! Like other retinoids, GC will make your skin more photo-sensitive.

Do not use GC on your neck until you have a pretty good idea of how your skin reacts to it ... wait at least 2-3 weeks. Neck skin is generally much more sensitive than facial skin. I was able to start with Level 6 on my face, but had to use Level 3 on my neck for a few months before moving up.

Once you get to the point where you can use GC-3 nightly for a week with no irritation, redness or soreness, you should be ready to switch to Level 6. It is much stronger than Level 3, so you will want to go back to the once every 2-3 days schedule and let your skin adjust to it gradually.

Retired from Acne.org

first of all this is a dope thread. What i'm wondering about is mandelic acid. I just ordered a sample from diannayvone's site and i have no clue on what to do. Should i wash my face with water and then put it on? or should i use a clenser? Mosturize? If anybody could help, please do. :D

accutane cleared my "sebaceous filaments". sebaceous filaments are the yellow and white plugs of cells and sebum that clog pores on your nose and t-zone. they can be pushed out by squeezing or pressing skin around them. people also use biore strips. problem is they just come right back and you risk permanently dilating or scarring the pore.

try low dose accutane. 10 mg every other day for 3-4 months will probably stop them forever. you wont have irritation from such a low dose. you wont have any side effects from such a low dose. certainly less irritation than permanent use of topicals that are acid based.

basically you need to control the production of oil from inside the sebaceous gland. accutane is the only thing that does this.

I had a long post, but accidentally closed the tab and lost it all.

To simplify my post:

I have blackheads on my nose (little to no acne anywhere else).

I use bar soap to wash my face.

I am going to go ahead and order the 2% BHA from cosmeticscop.com. I saw that someone posted that the gel is less mess, but I do not see the 2% gel, only the 1% gel or the 2% liquid.

I have tried just about everything else for my blackheads and nothing has worked at all.

Can I get the 2% gel from that site? I may have just overlooked it.

From reading this post, I can also tell that I need to stop washing my face with the bar soap. Can someone recommend something else to use for my face? I do have allergies and am hoping to get something with no scent (The soap I use is Pure & Natural).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and this post. It si great.

I had a long post, but accidentally closed the tab and lost it all.

To simplify my post:

I have blackheads on my nose (little to no acne anywhere else).

I use bar soap to wash my face.

I am going to go ahead and order the 2% BHA from cosmeticscop.com. I saw that someone posted that the gel is less mess, but I do not see the 2% gel, only the 1% gel or the 2% liquid.

I have tried just about everything else for my blackheads and nothing has worked at all.

Can I get the 2% gel from that site? I may have just overlooked it.

From reading this post, I can also tell that I need to stop washing my face with the bar soap. Can someone recommend something else to use for my face? I do have allergies and am hoping to get something with no scent (The soap I use is Pure & Natural).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and this post. It si great.

Try Eucerin's Redness Relief. It's gentle, has no fragrance, and shouldn't aggravate your allergies.

I personally like the 2% BHA Liquid better, which is the most potent of Paula's Choice salicylic acid products (more potent doesn't necessarily mean better, depending on you). It's just like applying a toner for me. The gel is good, too, and is LionQueen's preference.

I think you probably overlooked the 2% BHA Gel. You did go to www.cosmeticscop.com, right? If it's not there, you can order the full-sized product from www.getthatglow.com, which offers discounts on Paula's Choice products and free shipping with two or more purchases. If you think you might need to return the BHA product, buy from the first site mentioned because it has a much better return policy.

Make sure you use a broad-spectrum SPF 15 or higher sunscreen if you don't already. If you saw my post about why bar cleansers shouldn't be used, you probably also saw my post about the importance of good sunscreens. If you order from getthatglow.com, a Paula's Choice sunscreen would be a great (gentle, effective, and fragrance-free) second order you could use to get the free shipping, but if you don't want to order more products online than you have to, go for one of Clinique's sunscreens, which are also fragrance-free.

Morning

()

()

()

Evening

()

()

()

I placed my order of paulas 2% BHA gel on the 12th of december and they said they'd send a tracking # within 2-3 days... i'm just wondering how long did it take you guys to get a tracking #? or did it just show up one day?