Photo

Lynn's paleo diet

garlic atkins vegetarian paleo oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 lynn

lynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:52 AM

I have been on the Paleo diet for 2 weeks and the results are so suprising that I felt I should post. I kept a journal and copied from parts of it here. Sorry, this first post will be long.

Duration of acne: 20 years, fairly severe, lots of scarring
Past treatments tried: birth control, Accutane 2x, Salycylic acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, other ineffective methods.
Previous diets tried: macrobiotics, vegetarianism (for 18 years), veganism, Atkins
Typical foods previously eaten regularly: rice, oats, bread, tofu, split peas, lentils, popcorn, olive oil, cheese, pasta, maple syrup, soy milk
Foods eaten occasionally: fruit, vegetables, potato chips, alcohol, eggs, fish

Main complaints: acne,
lethargy, (Have to sleep 9-10 hours per night, not a morning person, have to work part-time, have been considering giving up performing music due to lack of energy)
constipation ( hard to believe w/ all that fiber, huh?)

The following is my transistion into paleo. In the beginning, I used transistional foods like smoked fish, store bought almond cheese, buckwheat groats, and leftover foods. In additional to the foods listed, I daily eat a snack plate of apples, toasted walnuts or pecans, olives, some fresh veggies, etc. I also usually have a banana or orange during the day. I drink green or black tea and peppermint tea every day.

DAY 1, November 22: Started day as usual with breakfast of oats and lunch of soba noodles. Felt so sleepy.
Decide to try paleo. Dinner have a green salad with avocado, veggies, and smoked trout on top.

DAY 2, 11/23: BR- OJ ,egg, banana.
LU: smoked trout salad
D: venison patty, carrots, kale, onion soup, eggs
*never eaten venison before. kind of fun.

DAY 3, 11/24: BR- 3 eggs with spinach, italian spices, almond chz, OJ banana
LU: smoked trout salad
D: same as yesterday
* feel excellent. Rose at 9:30 am (very early for me when i don't have to work)

DAY 4: 11/24: BR- OJ, banana, grn tea
LU- chicken and veg soup, small green salad
D: venison, buckwheat groats, carrots
* felt nauseous, took long walk in pm and felt better

DAY 5: 11/25: BR- banana, mango juice
LU venison buckwheat pilaf, collards, homemade tahini dressing
D: turkey, carrots, onion, peas, sauteed with Thai spices and coconut milk (delicious)
Kale
* woke at 9:30am again. Started routine of taking dog to park for run after waking up. Have done this every day since. Feel pretty level throughout day. evening- go to party have one glass red wine and a chicken wing. Stop doing Dan's regimen

DAY 6: 11/26: BR- banana, canned salmon and egg patties, collards, tahini
LU- green salad with scallops, pecans, veggies (delicious)
D-same as yesterday
*woke at 8:15am. Feel very light and great like I could go camping for some reason and be comfortable. Reduced sebum on face. No breakouts, even though nearing PMS time. Just wash face with diluted Dr. Bronner's and sometimes abpply Eucerin moisterizer and SPF. Unfortunately, I start getting watery bowel movements which last for over a week. I feel so good, however, that I am not too worried about it.

DAY 7: 11/27: BR: orange, zucchini, garlic, green salsa fritatta (delicious)
LU: baked tilapia with homemade almond mayonnaise and dill, collards, green salad
D: stewed cranberries, pear,raisins, topped with nuts.
*No breakouts, slightly dry skin even. Feel very level, light, energetic. A little ashamed to be eating meat but even more to think that I could actually have been causing my skin and tiredness problems by trying to eat a healthy, "morally sound" diet all these years.

DAY 8: 11/28: settling into a routine. Will now list usual foods for meals:
typical BR: stewed fruit (feels like I'm eating cereal)
OR raw fruit OR eggs with veggies

typical LU: hearty green salad with meat, avocado, veggies, etc. OR fish fillet OR frittata, OR deli soup

typical D: ground meat patty with almond mayo OR fish
leafy greens (kale, collards, spinach,cabbage, brussel sprouts, broccoli)
root veggies (carrots, parsnips,)

* Good day at work. Feel clear, confident and social. Even got a complement. Kind of tired in pm.
To bed early.

DAY 9: 11/30: *up before 7 am. Feel great in am. But got whitehead near lower lip. Used BP. A little constipated, skin seems a little waxy, tired in pm. cheat and eat a small batch of popcorn with olive oil. Also glass of red wine, which I am allowing.

DAY 10 12/1: * got period. Amazed because PMS symptoms were incredibly mild. Only slight cramps in afternoon. This is very unusual. Usually get miserable, depressed, argumentative, very oily skin, and painful cramps. Skin is looking good again. By this I mean that even on the regimen, my skin would have clogged pores, look a little bumpy, and blotchy. Now it feels smooth and cool to the touch. Before, if I missed doing the regimen once, I would end up with problems. I am amazed to think that I could dispense with it. It is so much easier not to have to time your morning around it.

DAY 11: 12/2: * up at 7:45. Went to a museum class at 9:15 and then toured the museum. This is HIGHLY unusual for me to have the energy to get up and do something in the AM or to even do something that I don't absolutely HAVE to do. Starting to feel like a normal person. Red wine in PM

DAY 12: 12/3: * UP AT 8:30. I think that drinking wine in the PM makes me a little tired the next AM, but not so bad that it's not worth it. Have been having very pleasant dreams at night about shimmering water and vistas. Numerous "cheats"- Added a tiny bit of honey to this morning's stewed fruit. Had a 1/2 sweet potato and also finished up my popcorn in PM.

DAY 13: 12/4: *Up at 8:30. Work is annoying and when I get home I see a Cyst is forming on my chin where I shave off my coarse chin hair. Breaking out here has been a problem since I started getting coarse hair there about 5 years ago. However, it seems due to irritation rather than clogged pores. To bed late.

DAY 14: 12/5 *Up late at 9:30. Sluggish. Having trouble keeping meat stocked in the house because I am not used to buying it and it is so expensive at the co-op where i do all my shopping. Eat 3 eggs and feel better immediately. Skin is fine after I wash it. Don't apply BP and cyst is shrinking without ever getting very big. Whenever I have had a a clogged pore this week, it starts clearing up after I just wash my skin. PM-dog needs to go to the emergency room for bladder infection. He has bad kidneys and this happened once before. I get so worried and have to stay up late into the night with him and drink a beer around 1am.

DAY 15 12/6: *Up at 9:30. Feel good despite late night. Watery diarrhea finally stopped.

#2 lynn

lynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

DAY 16 12/7 * first venture buying a salad for lunch. Mixed greens with plain grilled chicken on the top, hold the bread. Very satisfying. Maybe this diet is working out for me partly because eating meat is such a novelty that I am distracted from missing grains. My skin quality is making me happy. The color is very even. Still have a small bump on my chin, but it is not too noticeable. Strangely enough, my hair is also feels nicer. I don't know how this could be because hair is old dead cells, but I think it's because it doesn't get greasy as fast as before.

#3 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:12 PM

Hey Lynn,

I also started a semi-paleo diet (I eat dairy) after many years (10) of vegetarianism/veganism. My acne went away. So did my constantly bloated stomach. And reintroducing meat healed my severe anemia in about 6 weeks.
Anyway, I hope it works as well for you!

One thing I do to cut down on meat costs is make homemade bone broth and eat soup 1-2 nights a week.

#4 csamo001

csamo001

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE(cjb @ Dec 7 2006, 09:12 PM) View Post
Hey Lynn,

I also started a semi-paleo diet (I eat dairy) after many years (10) of vegetarianism/veganism. My acne went away. So did my constantly bloated stomach. And reintroducing meat healed my severe anemia in about 6 weeks.

One thing I do to cut down on meat costs is make homemade bone broth and eat soup 1-2 nights a week.

Just a hint: try getting fresh non-pasteurized milk and cheese from a farm.

#5 lynn

lynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:36 PM

csamo, Thank you for the encouragement.

DAY 17 12/8 # Feels like a bit of a setback today because the spot on my chin that had been hanging low for a few days suddenly got VERY big and I developed a (small) whitehead near my mouth. I may do the regimen tonight. I know that everyone is saying that the first months are up and down, but it is still disappointing.

I do enjoy grocery shopping though. I pretty much just stick to the outer ends of the store- produce and meats. And my cupboard is so much cleaner now that I don't have grains, flours, beans, and popcorn spilling everywhere. Also, I like that I never let food go to waste anymore. Before, when I bought greens, I would often forget about them and then, filled with guilt, have to throw them out. Same would happen with fruit or moldy bread.

#6 lynn

lynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE(csamo001 @ Dec 8 2006, 06:20 AM) View Post
Hey Lynn,

I like eating soup. Uh, how do you make this? I am woefully ignorant of how to cook meat and tend to shy away from bones. Do you just buy meat with the bone on it, cook it and eat it for one meal and then save the bone for stock?

#7 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:34 PM

Hey Lynn,

Great to see you're seeing results already, don't worry about that one spot, I'm sure it will be a thing of the past very soon.

I'm also following this diet, only a week in, and so far so good, the health aspects alone are worth it I think.

#8 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE(csamo001 @ Dec 8 2006, 04:20 AM) View Post
Hey Lynn,

I do, but thanks

#9 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(lynn @ Dec 8 2006, 05:39 PM) View Post
I like eating soup. Uh, how do you make this? I am woefully ignorant of how to cook meat and tend to shy away from bones. Do you just buy meat with the bone on it, cook it and eat it for one meal and then save the bone for stock?

Yes, that's one way. I do it that way for chicken broth. I roast a whole chicken and then after I've eaten most of the meat, I put the bones, and any meat left hanging on them, in the biggest pot you have. Fill it with water and a couple chopped up carrots and onions. Bring it to a boil, skim any gunk that rises to the top, cover it and let it gently simmer for hours ~ 7 for chicken, but it doesn't matter too much. You can go for longer or shorter. When it's done, I ladle it through a mesh strainer into big bowls to let it cool. Put it in the fridge and then when it's cool, you can skim the fat off the top. I then put it into various size tupperwares and freeze it, so I can just pull one out and thaw it right in the soup pot when I need it.

For beef broth, I usually just buy frozen "soup bones." If you can find them, they're super cheap - and easy, just toss 'em right into the stock pot. I do the same thing as above, but beef bones should simmer for ~24 hours.

A good thing to add to the pot it about 1T of apple cider vinegar. It's supposed to help leach the calcium and other nutrients out of the bones and into the stock. Or course, you can add other veggies if you like as well.

Thai soup
In a soup pot, saute onion in oil until soft (coconut oil is good, but not necessary)
Add some garlic and chopped veggies, such as carrot, broccoli, celery and saute briefly.
Add stock and bring to boil. Simmer until veggies are soft.
Add pieces of tofu or cooked chicken if desired.
Add ~1-2 tsp cumin, pinch of cayenne, and some salt to taste.
Add 1 can of coconut milk, and heat gently - doesn't need to boil
At the very end, turn off the heat and add the juice of 1/2 - 1 lime, some chopped cilantro and green onions.

#10 lynn

lynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

DAY 18 12/09

* My two breakouts have subsided and are not very noticeable or inflamed. I did BP last night, but not today. Before this diet, these kind of spots would have gotten more inflamed and lasted longer.

I am going to try that Thai soup. Tonight I made a curry with coconut milk and it is one of the most satisfying meals I now make.

I definitely have NOT lost any weight. I do eat a lot of nuts. And, I am not very hungry that often now. I used to get desperately hungry in the evenings and now I feel rather sated most of the time.

#11 lynn

lynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2006 - 07:52 PM

DAY 19 12/10 *Previous night was stressful and today I feel very tired and worn out from it. I mention it because I haven't felt that way in several weeks and it is now seeming unusual to feel so low. The evening brings many "cheats"- Holiday party- eat 3 cookies. Play a gig, drink too much white wine, come home and eat two pieces of white bread. My boyfriend is trying to eat more veggies with me, but doesn't want to give up bread, past, and potatoes. Too bad, because I am only tempted when they are around.

DAY 20 12/11 * Actually feel very good today despite yesterday's celebrations. Even again. No breakouts at this time. The last ones healed up remarkably fast. Went to diner for lunch and just got a veggie omelette. Not really worth it to go out for food so much now, since it cost $7.25 for the omelette and $1.95 for the tea. Probably could have made the same at home for about a dollar.

#12 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(lynn @ Dec 11 2006, 05:52 PM) View Post
Not really worth it to go out for food so much now, since it cost $7.25 for the omelette and $1.95 for the tea. Probably could have made the same at home for about a dollar.

I feel like that too, plus it's more tempting to cheat when you go out.

BTW, what kind of dog is that in your avatar? She looks so much like the dog my folks had for years and just had to put down recently - she was a gordon setter; very sweet, but not too smart.

#13 lynn

lynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:05 PM

I also got seafood soup last night at the chinese place next to my job. It was so salty that my cheeks tingled afterwards. Today, my boyfriend tried to cajole me to go out to Indian brunch, but I had to refuse and try to get back on track here.

My dog is actually a cocker spaniel, but he doesn't really look like one. I adopted him last year when he was about 10 and had been starving and neglected. I have always thought he might be some kind of mix- maybe he has gordon setter in him? He is very gentle and maybe medium- bright. But he is also deaf, so that is a factor in how well he picks things up.

Actually, buying fresh meat for my dog this past year was what first got me interested in trying meat out myself, so maybe I have him to thank for this experiment!

#14 lynn

lynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

DAY 21 12/12 * Been about 3 weeks now! Ate two chick drumsticks and veggies for dinner and now have the bones simmering for stock. Had one teeny clogged pore today. I mean really small. One thing I haven't mentioned is that I used to have permanently clogged pores and breakouts along my jawbone that BP did not always work for. BP usually stopped anything major, but my skin there always felt bumpy. Now, it is very smooth.

Otherwise, felt just so-so today. Overdid it with the wine and going out the last few days, I think.

#15 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:51 PM

Lynn are you still doing BP? I stopped today after a year and I'm a little worried wink.gif

#16 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:01 PM

i decreased bp to once a day, havent had any break outs and ive been having a bit of salt every day also.

#17 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:10 PM

I might go back to once a day just to be safe, I will DIE if I break out badly before Christmas, though I do want to use something in the in the evenings to totally clear my pores. Decisions decisions.

#18 lynn

lynn

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:27 PM

Maverick- I am only using BP occasionally. I stopped doing the regimen twice daily after about 5 days on the diet. I am finding that even when I break out now, it starts to clear up within the day. I think I will always keep some BP around, but now I can use it as a spot treatment. I have been on the regimen for 4 years now. It feels great not to have to do it all the time! I encourage you to go to every other day for a few days and then try stopping.

Made a version of that Thai soup today. YUM. Making chicken stock is indeed a great way to extend the food and to get filled up! Thanks again cjb. Also made salmon cakes with ground up almonds. I wonder if anyone is buying nut flours here? Perhaps a mortar and pestle is the way to go.

DAY 22 12/13 * State of skin: Two miniscule clogged pores. I have never had acne this... small. Really, I don't think that the spots are noticeable to anyone but me and they don't hurt or go down very deep. I tried to use some glycolic acid a few days ago (in one of my vain attempts to make my scars less obvious) and for once, it seemed to irritate my skin. I have used it for years and it doesn't usually irritate it, but my skin is a little drier now. Also, maybe I am getting used to wintertime and the indoor heat.

#19 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:01 PM

Lynn how are your energy levels?

Mine are good considering my sleeping pattern i sall over the place for various reasons.

I've spent years and years of feeling tired, EVERY single day, I think it's just become normal to me and I might have even forgot what it's like to wake up feeling wide awake. I hope the diet gives me back my energy!

#20 Ronin

Ronin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

That is how I was ... always tired. BIG difference on the diet and I felt it right away. I used to drink caffeine throughout the day....then when I got on paleo I cut it down to just the morning coffee. Now after some weeks on the diet I am off all caffeine and I feel fine. Sleeping better at night too.