Photo

Differin Vs. Retin A.

retinoids

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

what to use after accutane

1. Differin (27 votes [57.45%])

Percentage of vote: 57.45%

2. Retin A (20 votes [42.55%])

Percentage of vote: 42.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:53 PM

what should i use after accutane? i like retin A, but it is pretty harsh, and i don't want to be flakey and red. and i've never tried differin, is it any good?

#2 Thargama

Thargama

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:56 PM

Differin doesn't do a darn thing for me! eusa_wall.gif I prefer Retin-A, but I have pretty oily skin. What type of skin do you have?

#3 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Thargama @ Dec 2 2006, 07:56 PM) View Post

Differin doesn't do a darn thing for me! eusa_wall.gif I prefer Retin-A, but I have pretty oily skin. What type of skin do you have?

i had combo, not too oily, but it's not oily at all now because of accutane, i know differin isn't as strong as retin a but, i don't think i'll need something too strong after accutane.

#4 fire_starter

fire_starter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(Jordan19 @ Dec 3 2006, 12:58 AM) View Post

i had combo, not too oily, but it's not oily at all now because of accutane, i know differin isn't as strong as retin a but, i don't think i'll need something too strong after accutane.

i've been on both and i recommend retin-a. go for the milder one - 0.01 for instance, also ask for gel rather than cream, gel is much better.

#5 Spott

Spott

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

Actually, differin is more mild than retin-a. It's 0.01% adapalene vs. 0.01 retin-a. adapalene works just like retin-a but milder. And if you're shooting for mild, go with the cream rather than the gel. I prefer gel because it spreads easily, but if you want mild, go for the cream. Differin works well, but I would buy a Buf-puff to gently exfoliate and get all the dry skin off in the morning because it still might dry you out.
Daily Regimen:

Morning:
Wash Face with DKR Cleanser (In Shower)
Dry Face, wait 5 minutes, apply DKR 2.5% BP
Apply Neutrogena on the Spot to nose for oil control
Wait 10 minutes, Apply DKR Moisturizer

Night:
Wash with DKR Cleanser
Wait 5 minutes, apply DKR BP
Wait 10 minutes, apply DKR Moisturizer

Supplements: 1000mg Omega 3 (Flax Seed) 2x Daily. Cut out refined sugars, starches, excessive salt consumption.

#6 Shanon

Shanon

True Love Waits

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:20 AM

I thought the cream was comedogenic...atleast with retin a cream, that's what I heard. Differin gel is already very very gentle, I'd go with that. Retin a would be too strong I think...especially for someone coming off accutane. Maybe you could try the weakest strength of retin a?

My skin is sensitive and combonation...oily in the t zone, but normal on my cheeks, and I have to be very careful with retin a. Otherwise it can wreck my face. I really like Retin A though. I prefer it over differin, because differin doesn't seem to do anything for me. But if you don't want flaky and red, go with differin. But stick with gels, not creams. And like Spott said, exfoliate, if you go with Differin
Ok, my signature's just too long. Its annoying me now. Basically- ACCUTANE WORKS. Been off of it for a few months. I have overly sensitive, easily reactive/flushed skin. 100% clear still and if you're interested in my skin care routine, just ask. :)

#7 His Royal Highness

His Royal Highness

His Royal Highness

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:17 PM

I'm know I'm not a dermatologist, but my recommendation would be to stay away from both. I think it's definitely necessary to have some sort of Accutane maintenence, but I din;t think it's good to be on an acne medication forever. The key to maintaining clear skin after Accutane is to keep the pores clear from the outside. While this is what retinoids do (ie. Retin-A, Differin, Tazorac), they are too harsh on the skin.

Here is my advice: Use some sort of product with either Retinol or an AHA (like Glycolic Acid) at night starting a month after you end your Accutane course (or whenever you feel your skin has recovered from the dryness/sensitivity). Or, try exfoliating twice a week with fruit enzymes.

Hope that helps biggrin.gif

MY REGIMEN
10g of Pantothenic Acid (5 capsules taken orally 4 times daily).
AM: Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild, Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, Clinique Superdefense SPF 25 Age Defense Moisturizer (#2)
PM: Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild, Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer (#2)
AS NEEDED: Clinique Acne Solutions Oil-Control Cleansing Mask, Clinique Acne Solutions Emergency Gel-Lotion (5% BP)

#8 The_Snow_Queen

The_Snow_Queen

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:33 PM

If you're going to try Retin-A, might I suggest Retin-A Micro? It has a controlled delivery system, making it gentler and supposedly more effective than regular Retin-A.

The advantage with Differin, other than its mildness when compared with other prescription retinoids, is that it remains stable in the presence of benzoyl peroxide.

Prescription retinoids, though they may initially be irritating, have been found to have long-term benefits for the skin when used regularly.

My Clear Skin Maintenance Regimen

Morning

Wash with Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash
()
Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid
()
Selectively Moisturize with CeraVe Moisturizer
()
Protect with Clinique City Block Sheer Oil-Free Daily Face Protector; SPF 15

Evening

Wash with Olay Gentle Foaming Face Wash
()
Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Acid Liquid
()
Normalize skin cell production with Retin-A Micro 0.1% Tretinoin Gel
()
Selectively Moisturize with CeraVe Moisturizer

#9 kanmi

kanmi

Twilight

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(His Royal Highness @ Dec 9 2006, 10:17 PM) View Post
I'm know I'm not a dermatologist, but my recommendation would be to stay away from both. I think it's definitely necessary to have some sort of Accutane maintenence, but I din;t think it's good to be on an acne medication forever. The key to maintaining clear skin after Accutane is to keep the pores clear from the outside. While this is what retinoids do (ie. Retin-A, Differin, Tazorac), they are too harsh on the skin.

Here is my advice: Use some sort of product with either Retinol or an AHA (like Glycolic Acid) at night starting a month after you end your Accutane course (or whenever you feel your skin has recovered from the dryness/sensitivity). Or, try exfoliating twice a week with fruit enzymes.

What products would you personally reccomend to use for maintenence after accutane?

#10 His Royal Highness

His Royal Highness

His Royal Highness

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE(kanmi @ Dec 9 2006, 10:46 PM) View Post
QUOTE(His Royal Highness @ Dec 9 2006, 10:17 PM) View Post

What products would you personally reccomend to use for maintenence after accutane?

Well, I know that when I end my Accutane course, I'm going to use a nightcream with retinol everynight and an exfoliating fruit enzyme mask twice a week. Here are the two I plan on using:

Bioelements Sleepwear
Bioelements Kerafole

The Bioelements line is amazing. I'm using several of their products right now while on Accutane. Very basic and gentle products. Here are a few additional products:

Bioelements Quick Refiner
Green Cream
Murad Exfoliating Fruit Enzyme Mask
MY REGIMEN
10g of Pantothenic Acid (5 capsules taken orally 4 times daily).
AM: Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild, Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, Clinique Superdefense SPF 25 Age Defense Moisturizer (#2)
PM: Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild, Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer (#2)
AS NEEDED: Clinique Acne Solutions Oil-Control Cleansing Mask, Clinique Acne Solutions Emergency Gel-Lotion (5% BP)

#11 onyxraven

onyxraven

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:27 PM

Or get Green Cream whistling.gifD. I'm on a GC promotion kick right now.
Morning:
Pond's Daily Exfoliating Wash
Dan's BP gel to spot treat/bad areas
Neutrogena Healthy Skin SPF
Aubrey Nicole Minerals- Fairly Light Neutral, Light Complete Concealer, sometimes I'll brush on some EDM balancing dust or OM Silken Perfection Powder or AN Rice Powder Finishing Dust. Eyeliner (black or green), Mascara.

Night:
Pond's Daily Exfoliating Wash
Green Cream Level 6

or

Retin A .1% occasionally (2-3x a week max)
Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Moisturizer

-------------

Orally: Evening Primrose Oil, Flax seed oil, cranberry extract, acidophilus (when I remember to take my vitamins).

Microgestin Fe 1/20

---------
You should wake up before the wrath comes
(me and you) could take off before the wrath comes...soon

I know what you're like, I've read it on the walls
You're too tired,you choose heaven over the earth and me but come on please...

#12 Laura123

Laura123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:29 PM

Yea perhaps use green cream if you don't want something as irritating. I prefer retin-c to differin, I feel it is more effective.