Photo

32yr female with deep acne on chin only

red mark

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 star101

star101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:29 PM

Ok, here is my story. Since my teens I have had relatively clear skin, with a blemish coming up on my chin quite regularly that would take about a week to go away (hormonal, I think, usually during ovulation or before my period). But about 2 years ago (when I was 30) I started using Retin-A to help with the blackheads in my T-zone and about a month later I had a bad reaction just on my chin - it started erupting into very deep pimples, very red skin, and took at least a month to fully clear. I discontinued using it.

My dermatologist doesn't think the Retin-A had anything to do with this outbreak, but I tend to disagree. But if it wasn't the Retin-A, maybe it was just crazy hormones?

Whatever the cause, since that outbreak, my chin skin (just the center part) has become more sensitive and acne prone. The skin tends to be somewhat pink at all times and the pores are more defined, whereas before the outbreak the skin was quite normal looking. Also, the monthly outbreaks on my chin have gotten much worse. They are much deeper and bigger, and always seem to surface around the same place right smack in the middle of my chin, and will take weeks to come up and go away. First the skin turns pink, and then I start to feel one huge bump starting to form deep underneath the skin, then the chin area becomes redder (dime size red blob), and finally, a zit emerges that grows for a while, and takes a long time to go away. It doesn't really come to a head with pus (like my chin zits used to), but just a large red bump or cluster of smaller bumps that peels for days before leaving a red mark that takes even longer to go away.

Topical treatment on the forming zit doesn't really seem to have any effect.

My theory is that the skin around my chin has been somewhat damaged since that horrible outbreak 2 years ago, and so my skin is having an even harder time dealing with these hormonal zits?

I went to the dermotologist a month ago and he prescribed clindamycin gel in the morning and azelaic acid lotion at night (applied only on chin to help with the redness and preventing blemishes). While I think the medication works for small blemishes, last week I got another one of these monster zits before my period. While you'd think one zit is not a big deal this kind of zit is always large and extremely noticeable as it also makes the surrounding skin area inflamed and red. I'm like rudolph the red-chin reindeer!!

Other than this chin condition the rest of my face is very clear and I don't have acne on my forehead, cheeks, or jawline. I would really appreciate any suggestions, tips, or words of advice! I don't want to use any harsh medications or drugs as I am hoping to get pregnant soon. After reading some of the posts I might try to add jojoba oil to my regimen. Anyways, I am off to see the dermatologist on Friday so I will let you know what he says...

Thanks for reading my lengthy email and I look forward to your replies!! eusa_pray.gif smile.gif

#2 mickey67

mickey67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:17 PM

I don't know the answer to your questions...

But, I do know that retinA and Differin can cause your skin to get worse, before it gets better. Maybe you didn't use it long enough?

Sulfacet (a sulfer based lotion) really helped me a lot. Overall, I still broke out, but I noticed it when I didn't use it (breakouts would be worse).
39 year old female...adult acne since early 20's. I've tried everything out there for my mild/moderate acne. I got tired of using oral antibiotics and 3 types of topicals on a daily basis...especially since I still had breakouts.

Started Accutane (generic) on 8/09/06, 20mg twice a day...I weigh 120 lbs.

I'm on week 17. My side effects have been mild. Very mild IB around the 5th week, completely clear by week 12. My lips are dry, my scalp isn't oily anymore, mild skin flakiness, but I can still wear my contacts.

Products:

Aveeno "Ultra Calming" Foaming face wash
Aveeno "Ultra Calming" daily moisturizer w/spf
Aveeno "Ultra Calming" moisterizer (w/o spf) at night
Cetaphil bar soap for in the shower
Aquaphor...lots of Aquaphor

#3 Momto3

Momto3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

I was using Tazarac (like Retin-A) for nearly six HORRIBLE months. The skin was out of this world bad. I had been suffering from cysts on my chin (mostly) but, on the tazarac the cysts spread to both of my cheeks shock.gif At any given time I'd have several "healing" (I use this term lightly) and several coming. One month ago I stopped the tazarac (my derm's suggestion) and began using Sulfacet and Climedicyn gel. Eureka! I haven't had one cyst in over four weeks eusa_dance.gif and don't feel/see any coming. If it wasn't for the scars, I'd have beautiful skin.

I have since read quite abit about Retin A/Tazarac causing cysts in some people. It sounds like you might also be one of those people. Stay away and try the Sulfacet!

Good luck.

#4 star101

star101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:59 PM

Yeah, I think I had a really bad reaction to the Retin-A. In the past I have had the occasional deep pimple, but what came up on my chin after a few weeks of Retin-A was really crazy - never had I gotten such deep, red, severe pimples like that before. The worse part is that my chin doesn't seem to have returned to normal since that episode. The skin is slightly pink, and any zit I get turns into a monster.

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely ask about the Sulfacet, though the derm's been pretty conservative in prescribing meds because he knows I'm trying to get pregnant. My options at the moment are a bit limited since I can't take oral antibiotics or a lot of the topicals. And, I have my doubts as to whether topicals really help with the deep down zits.

Has anyone had luck with regular use of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide to treat the once-a-month deep pimple variety? I'm not sure whether I should give that a go, I'm afraid BP will irritate my skin and I really don't want to agitate my skin further.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving! I am planning to go to a dinner party later with a pretty good-sized shiner on my chin. eusa_whistle.gif

#5 mickey67

mickey67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(star101 @ Nov 22 2006, 11:59 PM) View Post

Yeah, I think I had a really bad reaction to the Retin-A. In the past I have had the occasional deep pimple, but what came up on my chin after a few weeks of Retin-A was really crazy - never had I gotten such deep, red, severe pimples like that before. The worse part is that my chin doesn't seem to have returned to normal since that episode. The skin is slightly pink, and any zit I get turns into a monster.

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely ask about the Sulfacet, though the derm's been pretty conservative in prescribing meds because he knows I'm trying to get pregnant. My options at the moment are a bit limited since I can't take oral antibiotics or a lot of the topicals. And, I have my doubts as to whether topicals really help with the deep down zits.

Has anyone had luck with regular use of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide to treat the once-a-month deep pimple variety? I'm not sure whether I should give that a go, I'm afraid BP will irritate my skin and I really don't want to agitate my skin further.

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving! I am planning to go to a dinner party later with a pretty good-sized shiner on my chin. eusa_whistle.gif

The 2.5% BP is really mild. You could try just using it at night, after using a very mild cleanser. I really like the Aeeno "Ultra Calming" Wash.

I have two kids, and it was after the birth of my second that my skin really flared up. I went to the derm who told me to come back after I had weaned...so most of the drugs can't be used while breast feeding too.

I only learned about Sulfacet from my current derm (he's awesome!) about a year ago.

I googled "sulfacet pregnancy" and found this: Pregnancy

Pregnancy Category C. Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with Sulfacet-R ® Tint-Free Lotion. It is also not known whether Sulfacet-R ® Tint-Free Lotion can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction capacity. Sulfacet-RÆ Tint-Free Lotion should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.

Nursing Mothers

It is not known whether sodium sulfacetamide is excreted in the human milk following topical use of Sulfacet-R ® Tint-Free Lotion. However, small amounts of orally administered sulfonamides have been reported to be eliminated in human milk. In view of this and because many drugs are excreted in human milk, caution should be exercised when Sulfacet-R ® Tint-Free Lotion is administered to a nursing woman.

39 year old female...adult acne since early 20's. I've tried everything out there for my mild/moderate acne. I got tired of using oral antibiotics and 3 types of topicals on a daily basis...especially since I still had breakouts.

Started Accutane (generic) on 8/09/06, 20mg twice a day...I weigh 120 lbs.

I'm on week 17. My side effects have been mild. Very mild IB around the 5th week, completely clear by week 12. My lips are dry, my scalp isn't oily anymore, mild skin flakiness, but I can still wear my contacts.

Products:

Aveeno "Ultra Calming" Foaming face wash
Aveeno "Ultra Calming" daily moisturizer w/spf
Aveeno "Ultra Calming" moisterizer (w/o spf) at night
Cetaphil bar soap for in the shower
Aquaphor...lots of Aquaphor

#6 star101

star101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:21 AM

So here is my dermotologist report. After he saw my chin he noted that the blemish was large and quite deep. Initially he recommended I add erythromycin (oral antibiotic) and benzac gel (benzoyl peroxide 2.5%) to my regimen. But, I was very hesitant about the oral antibiotic since I'm trying to get pregnant and actually might already be a few weeks pregnant. When I pushed him further on that issue he said that while safe, generally when anyone gets pregnant they will recommend them to stop the antibiotics. So, we decided I will just use benzac (in the morning) and azelaic acid (at night). He told me to slowly add the benzac into my routine (once a day just on the spot for a few days to see if i have a bad reaction, then slowly increasing to the acne-prone chin area once a day, then if tolerated start using benzac twice a day while continuing to use azelaic acid at night only).

For anyone taking erythromycin orally while pregnant, I did some research and there have been some recent Swedish studies linking the drug to increased cariovascular malformations in early pregnancy. Although it seems like the risk is small, I just don't want to take anything that would jeopardize the baby. http://www.skinthera...006/11.4/1.html

The derm told me if I weren't trying to get pregnant, he'd recommend an antibiotic and weak topical retinoid (ironic because it was Retin-A that I believe exacerbated my skin in the first place).

I'm not sure how helpful this new regimen will be. But i'm hoping it will at least help to lessen the severity of the breakouts. eusa_pray.gif I'm also hoping pregnancy doesn't make my skin worse!

The derm also told me the skin on the chin tends to be different than on the cheeks and elsewhere. Acne on the chin tends to be much deeper cuz of the way the skin structures are on the chin, and thus takes longer for the zits to heal.

I would love to hear the experiences of women and their experience using 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide to treat chin blemishes. Thanks all!

#7 bittermp

bittermp

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:22 AM

questions

did you use any fertility treatments/methods to get pregnant?
were you stressing out about getting pregnant?

if you are pregnant now, then hormonally speaking that could be why you're breaking out

have you tried tea tree oil? you can try the 100% dilluted. I get a q-tip wet then put tea tree on it and apply,
sometimes i then put jojoba oil on the area as well. It works, depending on where the zit is located.

I've used derm stuff like BP and clindamycin and antiobitics for almost my whole life, but i'm no longer gonna use them b/c in the long run they never worked. I used to use BP 2.5 up until August for years, but ultimately it never really worked, even 2.5 over time would be too harsh on my skin, applying makeup was difficult on certain BP treated areas no matter how much moisturizer i would have on. BP is a bleaching agent as well.

I find that using glycolic lotion, around 8% or 10% and leaving it on my face for several minutes, morning and night, then washing off seems to help me the most.

But every face is different and reacts to differently. after 18 years or so of acne (off and on, with red mark scars) I'm still trying to find the best way to fight it. but being early 30's, and having had it under control for the most part, i am not battling hormonal breakouts, but finally 4 months later, its improving slowly and i finally feel more relaxed about it. which also helps.

Also, early 30's is another time in a woman's body where hormones are raging, it's like a second puberty hitting.

I've had hormonal breakouts since June/July on areas that i usually don't break out on, ie. neck and jawline.

#8 star101

star101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:03 AM

No, I wasn't using any fertility treatments or stressing out, and I wasn't on the birth control pill either. I've always had a tendency to get a zit or two on my chin, but the severity of these chin zits seems much worse since the Retin-A breakout 2 years ago. I think the Retin-A breakout may have slightly damaged something underneath the skin, making my pores more likely to get infected. Or maybe its a combination of that breakout combined with hormones and entering my early 30s...?

Yeah, I'm a little doubtful about benzoyl peroxide, though it seems like a lot of people on the site seems to have had success with it. I'm just weary of putting harsh topicals on my face that will make me break out like crazy, as Retin-A did. Other than very small whiteheads from time to time then go away in a day or two, I only get one or two big zits on my chin at a time, and when I do get them, they are horrible. I'm going to try slowly adding BP to my regimen just in the morning and continue with the azelaic acid at night.

The azelaic acid 20% cream I've been using for about 5 weeks, and it seems pretty mild, though it stings/itches a bit when you first apply it for the first 20-30 minutes. While the azelaic doesn't appear to be making anything worse, I'm not sure its making anything better, but I'm hoping it will help diminish some of the red/pinkness on my chin. I'll update in a few weeks with my progress once i've been on this BP/azelaic regimen for a while.

On an aside, I went to a 2-day swim class over the weekend, and I feel like the chlorinated water actually calmed my zit down, which is almost healed at this point (but has left a big red mark).

I would still like to know -- has had any success preventing deep chin blemishes with benzoyl peroxide?

#9 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:41 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad Retin-A experience. I had a similar problem when my derm put me on Differin. I had gone in for a skin cancer screening and figured as long as I was there, I would ask how I should treat the little blocked pores that I had on my forehead - they were nothing major, but wouldn't go away. The rest of my face was clear. He gave me Differin, which ended up creating a nasty outbreak of pustules on my chin - not cysts, but these deep, red pustules would not go away. Before this, I never had more than 1-2 PMS pimples on my chin, and that didn't even happen every month. My chin would not clear up, so I stopped the Differin after 8 wks. Things started to get a little better, but I was still breaking out on my chin more regularly than before. I am sure that the Differin was responsible for my chin breaking out so bad.

After that, I ended up going to an esthetician who specializes in treating acne (she has a 90-95% success rate at getting people clear). She got me clear in about 9 wks using BP, (initially 10%, then stepped down to 5%), glycolic acid, and regular facials w/ extractions. She has a method of getting your skin used to higher strength BPs, so the irritation was pretty minimal. She has you start off only leave the BP on for 15 min the first few nights, and then washing it off. The next few nights you leave it on for 30 min, then 60 min, then 2 hrs. It took about 2 wks to work up to leaving it on all night. It worked well though.
She indicated that she can also successfully treat cystic acne with BP - she says in her experience cystic acne respond pretty quickly to it.

Now, I pretty much only get those tiny little microzits, but no large inflamed spots. I am still using the 5% BP on my chin every night. So, the BP worked well for me - I am sure the higher strength BP was what got me clear so quickly. You do have to be careful not to irritate your skin with it though.

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#10 bookyone

bookyone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:04 PM

Hi star,

I am a 38 y/o female who has struggled with acne since my early teens. In my mid 30s, my chin area started to break out really badly with hard cystic acne nodules under the skin, exactly as you described it. My derm tried different antibiotics (tetracycline, doxycycline) but they didn't help all that much. Then she put me on spironolactone, 100 mg daily, as a last resort before going to Accutane. She said if the acne was hormonal in nature, (as it is in many women over age 30 who struggle with cystic acne, especially in the chin area), the spiro would help. I've now been on spiro since October of 2005 and have seen a HUGE difference in my skin, especially the chin cysts. I still get occasional breakouts at certain times of the month, but overall my acne has improved tremendously. Also, my pores which were always large and greasy look a lot smaller and my face is not nearly as oily as it was for most of my life.

You might want to ask your derm about trying spironolactone to see if it would help you.

Good luck and best wishes from bookyone smile.gif

#11 star101

star101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:15 PM

Hi willow569--
Thanks so much for your comments, I'm amazed but we seem to have the same story! I took the retin-A to help clear my pores and I only used to get 1-2 PMS chin zits ocassionally (and like you, not even every month). But the retin-A resulted in what felt like a hugh cyst forming below the skin on my chin, which later erupted to a crop of large chin papules that were very different from my previous chin zits (much deeper, with a large patch of red irritated skin on the chin, and these zits never came to a head with pus). In fact, when I first went to the derm after this reaction he actually misdiagnosed it as Herpes! and had me putting on this antiviral cream (unbelievable!). I guess that's cuz the rest of my skin was super clear and i just had this really angry red patch on my chin. The retin-A did seem to help my skin on the forehead and nose though, so I'm not sure why my chin couldn't handle it at all. Right now I just have a red mark on my chin from a large cyst i got about 10 days ago that looks like it is now healing. Did your esthetician tell you why she used such a high percentage of BP, and why do you continue to use 5% instead of 2.5%? Do you use BP once a day or twice a day? I will follow your suggestion and slowly up my 2.5% BP application (the derm warned me as well to begin very slowly).

I noticed you are from Alameda-- I am actually from the Bay Area though currently I'm living in Hong Kong. Can you give me the contact info for your esthetician - I'll probably visit in a few months so maybe I can book an appointment with her if I'm still having these skin issues.

bookyone--
I was on doxyclcline for about 3 months a year ago which for me was very successful in preventing these chin blemishes. After 6 months going off the antibiotic, they started to come back. But I think the derm I was going to at the time did not treat me very well because he never gave me any topicals to use during or after the antibiotic course. He also said benzoyl peroxide was basically "sandpaper". I've since switched dermotologists... In any case, I really don't want to be dependent on antibiotics in the long-term and I can't take it presently since I am trying for a baby. I think the same goes for spironolactone, but maybe its something I can consider in the future.

#12 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(star101 @ Nov 26 2006, 07:15 PM) View Post

Hi willow569--
Thanks so much for your comments, I'm amazed but we seem to have the same story! I took the retin-A to help clear my pores and I only used to get 1-2 PMS chin zits ocassionally (and like you, not even every month). But the retin-A resulted in what felt like a hugh cyst forming below the skin on my chin, which later erupted to a crop of large chin papules that were very different from my previous chin zits (much deeper, with a large patch of red irritated skin on the chin, and these zits never came to a head with pus). In fact, when I first went to the derm after this reaction he actually misdiagnosed it as Herpes! and had me putting on this antiviral cream (unbelievable!). I guess that's cuz the rest of my skin was super clear and i just had this really angry red patch on my chin. The retin-A did seem to help my skin on the forehead and nose though, so I'm not sure why my chin couldn't handle it at all. Right now I just have a red mark on my chin from a large cyst i got about 10 days ago that looks like it is now healing. Did your esthetician tell you why she used such a high percentage of BP, and why do you continue to use 5% instead of 2.5%? Do you use BP once a day or twice a day? I will follow your suggestion and slowly up my 2.5% BP application (the derm warned me as well to begin very slowly).

I noticed you are from Alameda-- I am actually from the Bay Area though currently I'm living in Hong Kong. Can you give me the contact info for your esthetician - I'll probably visit in a few months so maybe I can book an appointment with her if I'm still having these skin issues.

Yeah, it does sound like we had similar problems - the spots I got wouldn't come to a head and stayed around forever! I am still working on getting rid of the marks that those things left. I really wonder how much some derms really know about treating acne. Mine gave me the differin without telling me about how to use it, what the side effects might be, he didn't ask me what other products I was using or anything.

Laura (my esthetician) says she has much better luck treating acne with stronger BP formulations. As long as your skin isn't too sensitive, she recommends a 10% or 5% BP. At those strengths it also acts as a peeling agent, which is part of how she gets people clear so quickly. Most of the people who use the 2.5% also apply it twice a day. With my regimen I only use it once a day and only where I tend to break out. She says that in her experience she has not found 2.5% to be as effective in most cases. I think most people don't use the stronger formulations because of the irritation. With the gradual application method, most of that irritation can be avoided. I only use it nightly on my chin/jawline area. I'll use it on my forehead and around my nose about every 3rd night as it helps keep those areas from getting blocked pores and microzits.

Laura's clinic is in San Leandro - it is called Face Reality Skin Care. I'll send you a message with her contact information. Also - she has treated people long distance before (someone who was in Australia, I think!) obviously in-office facials aren't part of that regimen though!. So if your current regimen isn't working for you, you could possibly contact her before you come back to this area. I don't know exactly how the long distance plan works, but if you are interested you might ask her about that.

A.M.

-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

My lengthy log:

#13 star101

star101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

Hi Willow-
Thanks I received the contact info. Part of the reason my derm gave me the 2.5% was because I had tried brevoxyl (4.5% BP) over a year ago and my skin had a bad reaction and I stopped using it (got 2 new zits formed a day or two after I started applying it, but that time the derm I was seeing had me applying it twice a day from the get-go and never told me about gradually starting it. So my plan is to gradually add the 2.5% BP for a while, increase to twice a day, and see if my skin looks any better in 4-6 weeks. The thing is, when I dont have an active zit my chin actually looks pretty normal, though there is usually a red mark fading from the healing zit and pinkness on the general chin that is still there from the retin-A breakout that I'm not sure will ever entirely disapper (though i'm hoping my nightly application azelaic acid will help over time).

I just really need a solution to prevent these monster zits from coming up in the first place. The PMS zits I used to get would be pretty bothersome, but they were predictable (they would last a week, come to a head with pus, and fade pretty quickly). These zits are so much deeper and inflamed and make the skin around it really red before they emerge and while active, and take much longer to go away.

Can I ask what your skin regimen is today? Are you just using the BP and glycolic (peel? lotion?) and no other topicals or antibiotics?

#14 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:29 PM

QUOTE(star101 @ Nov 26 2006, 08:50 PM) View Post

Hi Willow-
Thanks I received the contact info. Part of the reason my derm gave me the 2.5% was because I had tried brevoxyl (4.5% BP) over a year ago and my skin had a bad reaction and I stopped using it (got 2 new zits formed a day or two after I started applying it, but that time the derm I was seeing had me applying it twice a day from the get-go and never told me about gradually starting it. So my plan is to gradually add the 2.5% BP for a while, increase to twice a day, and see if my skin looks any better in 4-6 weeks. The thing is, when I dont have an active zit my chin actually looks pretty normal, though there is usually a red mark fading from the healing zit and pinkness on the general chin that is still there from the retin-A breakout that I'm not sure will ever entirely disapper (though i'm hoping my nightly application azelaic acid will help over time).

I just really need a solution to prevent these monster zits from coming up in the first place. The PMS zits I used to get would be pretty bothersome, but they were predictable (they would last a week, come to a head with pus, and fade pretty quickly). These zits are so much deeper and inflamed and make the skin around it really red before they emerge and while active, and take much longer to go away.

Can I ask what your skin regimen is today? Are you just using the BP and glycolic (peel? lotion?) and no other topicals or antibiotics?

My regimen is constantly changing it seems! Right now this is what I am doing:

Morning:

-Silicia scrub
-Ice skin (mostly for inflamed spots, which i really dont get anymore - but it also helps shrink any microzits)
-Toner
-Derm A Gel - this is a non-prescription retinoid. Its very gentle and did not give me any initial breakout like the differin did
-Alternate days - moisturizer or a hydrogen peroxide cream
-Sunscreen

Evening:

-Silica scrub
-Ice
-Toner
-Derm a gel and 5% BP on chin

I had temporarily stopped the daily 10% glycolic because I was getting too peely - it was replaced with the hydrogen perxoide cream. I still use the glycolic on my neck though and also go in for glycolic peels once a month. Laura is good at adjusting the regimen depending on what my skin is looking like at the moment - if its too dry, she has me back off some products or temporarily replace them with something else. If I start to break out, then she'll have me increase the BP (haven't had to do this in awhile though). Also, I have found the ice to be very helpful - you might try it the next time you start to get a deep chin spot - try icing it 2-3 times a day for a few minutes each time. It can really reduce swelling and sometimes it can keep the spot from developing if you catch it early.

A.M.

-Finacea

P.M.

My lengthy log:

#15 LLJay

LLJay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:50 AM

Hey, all-
I'm not sure if I'm at the right forum, bear with me if I'm not.

I also get enormous monster zits on my chin, I have since I was a teen. I call them blind zits, since they don't usually come to a head etc. Deep and big. Hurts like anything! Nasty. I dunno if they are pustules or cysts or what. Doesn't matter much to me what they are called, they are nasty.

I started Dan's regimen, altered it a bit to suit my needs (I love the cleanser from Proactive and I don't use quite so much of Dan's BP as he recommends on my dry areas). My pores have tightened up wonderfully, the little whiteheads have all but disappeared, just some stray stuff working it's way out. But don't you know, I got another volcano on my chin last week (happens whenever I'm going to see my sister-just a little stress!!). Nothing helped. Ugh.

So my question is this. How can a dermatologist help? I mean, what can a derm do to relieve the pain? I feel so stiupid asking. How do cortisone shots help? Are there other pain relievers? Do they often prescribe antibiotics to clear up the infection? And how the heck to you get in to see a derm when you actually have a blow up?

I'm allergic to aspirin (aka salicylic acid) and I'm really hesitant to use other "acid" products. Years ago I tried an Oil of Olay product and thought I was gonna die from the allergic reaction! So I keep it really simple and basic, nothing fancy.

Any help about dermatologists for me?

Thanks-I appreciate your input-

(I'm 40 years old-forty, zits and wrinkles. What's up with that??).

#16 Little Miss

Little Miss

I think therefore I am

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:11 AM

Hello. My chin used to be exactly like yours. I used to wake up, move my chin, and I could tell I had a big spot brewing before I even looked in the mirror! Felt like I'd been punched in the chin. I would look in the mirror and see a great big swelling and the pinkish tinge to the chin, and I would know that I was in for a rough few days!

I treated mine with BP successfully. Its worked wonders. BP every morning and every night until it had got rid of the deep ones, and then just down to once a day, and now, just when I need it.

It will make your chin red for the first couple of weeks, but its worth it.

At first, if you do decide to use BP, instead of rubbing it in, dab it on gently, cos rubbing those big swellings will irritate them even more. Dab it on gently, best to do this at night, as you won't be able to rub it in completely and you will have to leave it sitting on your skin like a mask. It will get rid of them though, you have to persevere and be very patient.

#17 LLJay

LLJay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(Energy @ Nov 27 2006, 10:11 AM) View Post

Hello. My chin used to be exactly like yours. I used to wake up, move my chin, and I could tell I had a big spot brewing before I even looked in the mirror! Felt like I'd been punched in the chin. I would look in the mirror and see a great big swelling and the pinkish tinge to the chin, and I would know that I was in for a rough few days!

I treated mine with BP successfully. Its worked wonders. BP every morning and every night until it had got rid of the deep ones, and then just down to once a day, and now, just when I need it.

It will make your chin red for the first couple of weeks, but its worth it.

At first, if you do decide to use BP, instead of rubbing it in, dab it on gently, cos rubbing those big swellings will irritate them even more. Dab it on gently, best to do this at night, as you won't be able to rub it in completely and you will have to leave it sitting on your skin like a mask. It will get rid of them though, you have to persevere and be very patient.

I've been using Dan's BP gel-for a couple of months now, longer, I think-wow, what a difference overall! But it didn't do anything for the cyst zit thing. Not before, during or after. Except it made the skin over the pimple peel a lot. Not anywhere else on my face, just right there. I gobbed it on, especially at night, let it really soak in and moisturized after. Didn't seem to help. Ugh.

Can you tell me anything about this spiro medicine I keep seeing? And, yipes, really, do tell me, how do any of you get in to see your derm when you actually need to? I think that's a miracle!

Thanks for your reply, I do aprrecitae it-

#18 star101

star101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hi LLJay-
I'm not sure if I have an answer about the cysts. I also get deep cysts on my chin, which is my only problem really, I rarely get pimples on any other part of my face. I only get these monsters probably once every 4-6 weeks, so its difficult for me to say at this point if my new regimen (azelaic acid in the morning, benzoyl peroxide 2.5% at night) is working or not. The azelaic acid and clindamycin I was using for a month didn't seem to do anything to prevent the huge cyst on my chin I got last month. It remains to be seen whether the BP will help to prevent the chin cysts next time.. I really hope they will prevent or at least diminish them. I noticed I tend to get cysts almost always during the 2 weeks leading up to my period (never during my period or the couple weeks after). Is this true for you as well?

This is my regimen I started last week, I added icing my face to see if that would help:

Morning-
Cetaphil wash
Ice face for a few minutes
Skinoren (20% Azelaic acid lotion) - only on my chin
Moisturizer

Night-
Cetaphil wash
Ice face for a few minutes
Benzac gel (BP 2.5%) -- only on my chin (I've been gradually stepping up application from leaving it on for a few hrs and washing off to leaving it on all night)
Moisturizer

My derm did tell me if I wasn't trying to get pregnant he would recommend antibiotics for 8 weeks and also a weaker retinoid (since Retin-A broke me out badly). Antibiotics have helped me but the acne tends to come back eventually so you need to maintain with topicals.

Sometimes I can see the derm sooner if I tell the office that its urgent that I see the doctor. They will try to squeeze me in earlier. But even so, I usually have to wait a few days at minimum. There are 2 derms at this office and the average wait is 1-2 weeks. Try having the doctor call you back (they should be able to do this if you are already a patient) so you can at least have a phone chat before the appointment. Hope that helps!

#19 LLJay

LLJay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

I tend to get post-period pimples-now! Didn't used to.

Do you ice your skin to help tighten the pores?

Someone else commented a few posts up-is there any way to prevent the severity of these nasties?

I am really pleased with Dan's BP gel though. It has helped my overall complexion a great deal. But I'd really like to get these chin cysts figured out....

#20 GoldPeakTea

GoldPeakTea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2006 - 05:50 AM

will no man love you with acne?