#41 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 20 December 2006 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Malcolm Cringe @ Dec 20 2006, 07:52 AM) View Post
Adding a drop of water to the Diacneal to help it spread worked like a dream. Thanks, LionQueen.

Hey, no problem. Glad we solved that one so easily.

#42 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:18 PM

I've taken the jojoba out of my regimen because I don't need as much moisturizing since I'm on BP only once a day. I'm still using quite a bit of BP because I'm afraid to start breaking out again. But I'd like to start lowering the amount slowly to see how little I can use and still not break out.

I'd also like to add a BHA to my night routine, and it looks like Paula Begoun's 2% BHA gel looks like a great choice. I wish that it were sold directly in Canada because I hate paying for shipping. Is there another local option for Canadians?

Cam >B)

#43 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:38 PM

In my quest to add a reasonably priced, locally available BHA product to my night routine, I thought that I might try a toner, but I found that most of the products on the shelf have irritants, like witch hazel, menthol this-n-that, and inordinate amounts of alcohol. It's a shame because otherwise, there could have been some good options.

Then, walking through the acne care aisle of a local drug store, I noticed the old medicated cleansing pad standbys, which have salicylic acid (BHA) as their active ingredient. Well, most of these had some really irritating ingredients, but there was one that stood out as a possibility: Spectro AcneCare Cleansing Pads for Sensitive Skin. They do have denatured alcohol as an ingredient, but there are no other obvious irritating ingredients. And it's so inexpensive.

I haven't seen any reviews of it, but I figured that I could shell out a few dollars for it, and if it irritated my skin, I could just toss it. No biggie. So I'll pick up some of that tonight to add to my night routine, before the Diacneal. Now that my initial break-out from the Diacneal is over, I'm more confident in adding another product to my routine.

Oh, LionQueen, I think I'm turning into a product whore.

Cam >B)

#44 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

OK, so I've been using the BHA for a week now, and my skin hasn't needed to adapt to it. And it looks like I can get away with BP only once a day. I've had no new spots in a while now. And even with being in the very dry and cold climate of Vernon for the past while hasn't dried out my skin. I'm cautiously optimistic that I have a long-term regimen here.

Cam >B)

#45 SMoothie614

SMoothie614

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(Malcolm Cringe @ Dec 28 2006, 12:39 PM) View Post
OK, so I've been using the BHA for a week now, and my skin hasn't needed to adapt to it. And it looks like I can get away with BP only once a day. I've had no new spots in a while now. And even with being in the very dry and cold climate of Vernon for the past while hasn't dried out my skin. I'm cautiously optimistic that I have a long-term regimen here.

Cam >B)

Good luck with the regimen. It's good that BP works for you, it sure as hell doesn't work for me. smile.gif What concentration do you use?

#46 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:58 AM

I've had really great success with Dan's 2.5% BP. And it sounds like you're doing very well with your regimen! I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Cam >B)

QUOTE(SMoothie614 @ Dec 29 2006, 05:56 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Malcolm Cringe @ Dec 28 2006, 12:39 PM) View Post

Cam >B)

Good luck with the regimen. It's good that BP works for you, it sure as hell doesn't work for me. smile.gif What concentration do you use?

#47 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:02 AM

As of a few days ago, I've added a sugar scrub to my night-time routine. Basically, I gently rub white sugar on my face for some manual exfoliation. My face feels so smooth and looks very radiant.

A couple of days ago, my boyfriend said that he couldn't believe that I've ever had skin problems because it looks so nice now. Thanks, acne.org and acne.org-ers!

Cam >B)

#48 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

I got a small, mildly inflammatory spot on the crook of my right jaw bone. It should be gone by tomorrow. And I had one micro-spot on the right side of my chin, but that's inactive now. Other than that, things are smooth. My usual trouble area, my forehead, hasn't had a spot in months. That is pretty unbelievable for me.

On a completely different note, I turned 32 today. Here's to a year of improved skin.

Cam >B)

#49 veganocity

veganocity

highest femme

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

YAY! Happy birthday sweetie!

I've just been reading your log, and you seem so lovely, so I wanted to say hello, and congratulations, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

wub.gif wink.gif eusa_clap.gif eusa_angel.gif

#50 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

Thanks, veganocity! I had a great birthday. I figured out that my boyfriend had planned a surprise party. And he forgot that he gave me keys to his place so when I got to the door and turned the lock, I heard him say, "He's here!" I laughed. In the hallway, I had also smelled the risotto that he made for us. I'm so spoiled from dating a trained chef.

My skin is pretty well in a holding pattern, it seems. The small spot on my jaw is pretty well gone. I slathered the BP on it, and that stopped it in its tracks. I had one blackhead-type spot on my nose (rare) that I tried to get rid of, and that made it red and inflamed a bit. It was kind of gunky this morning, but that should be good by tomorrow, too. Those spots that I got from my initial break-out were strange, and they had resolved down to tiny lumps under my skin. Well, this morning, one of them had worked its way to the surface so I dealt with that, too. It didn't even leave a mark, though, which is nice. Maybe the other little lumps will do the same thing soon. If not, no biggie because they're totally invisible.

It sounds like, from what I just wrote, I have a lot of spots. But even close up, most people would say that I'm totally clear. I have no complaints. Onwards.

Cam >B)

#51 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

That inflamed blackhead-turned-spot thing on my nose was being annoying again so I cleaned it out with some hydrogen peroxide. I don't make a habit of using that, but it really stopped that spot dead in its tracks. It's now just a small scabby thing. The other half-active spot on my jaw is gone. Love that.

Cam >B)

#52 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:19 AM

My nose spot is completely history, but my jaw spot has been replaced by another spot (dealt with this morning). I also have a miniscule spot just left of my chin. It's not visible, even on close inspection, but I can feel a little twinge of something under my skin.

Since starting Diacneal, my spots have been a little odd. The weird nodules at the beginning are gone, but I now get very superficial but often angry-looking spots. They are very easily resolved, but they appear out of nowhere and go back into nowhere very quickly. I wonder if that has something to do with the increased skin renewal from the retinoid. Any guesses?

Cam >B)

#53 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:36 AM

The spots have cleared. However, I managed to let myself run out of shaving cream so I was working a lather up with my cleanser to shave. For the most part, this seemed to work fine, except I got a strange shaving-related bump on my neck. I absolutely never get spots there so it's definitely a shaving-related bump. I haven't been gentle with it (bad me), but it's easy enough to disguise with a high collar and some well-blended concealer.

I'm still applying the BP during the day and the Diacneal at night. Not suprisingly, my skin doesn't look as bright and moist during the day, even with a generous layer of moisturizer. Still I'm quite satisfied with the regimen overall.

I've got my first advanced French conversation class tonight at Alliance Française. I'm nervous; wish me luck.

Cam >B)

#54 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hi Cam,
Just peeking in on your progress!
Good luck with your class tonight!!

#55 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:41 AM

I have been using about half the amount of BP that I used to on the DKR, and I'm using it only once a day, and I'm still getting great results with my regimen. As a result of using less BP, my skin is less dry. Combine that with the great texture that Diacneal is giving me, and I'm one happy camper. That and it's Friday.

I keep raving about the status of my skin because I've struggled with it for so long (19 years now!), have at times been so frustrated and defeated, and have never had such consistently good results. It's just a huge relief.

Now I wish that there were a regimen that would make it a little warmer outside. Brr!

Cam >B)

#56 SMoothie614

SMoothie614

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:53 AM

Yaaaay for great skin!!!

By the way, who is that sexy man on your avatar?€

#57 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:58 AM

Flatterer. That's me.

Cam >B)

QUOTE(SMoothie614 @ Jan 13 2007, 04:53 AM) View Post
Yaaaay for great skin!!!

By the way, who is that sexy man on your avatar?€

#58 veganocity

veganocity

highest femme

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

hi Cam,

I think you're a hottie too!

xo,
v

#59 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

blush.gif Oh for heaven's sake.

Cam >B)

QUOTE(veganocity @ Jan 14 2007, 08:49 AM) View Post
hi Cam,

I think you're a hottie too!

xo,
v

#60 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:52 AM

I had a small, closed comedone on my left temple. It had been there since just before Christmas and was nearly invisible. Last night, it looked a little closer to the surface so I dealt with it. I touched a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol and dabbed a bit of BP on it. This morning, it's a little red, but there is no inflammation so I think I just have to wait for a day for the redness to fade. This morning, I blended a bit of concealer over it so all looks good. Other than that tiny red mark, everything is clear and smooth.

Also, last night was the first night that I didn't use any moisturizer after the Diacneal. I usually wait a good half hour before putting any on so that it doesn't interfere with Diacneal's effects, but I decided to see if my skin could handle not using any at all. This morning, I didn't wake up dry at all, even though it's kind of chilly here recently. But as part of my morning routine, I put some jojoba in with my moisturizer after my BP just to make sure that I'm well hydrated throughout the day.

I know that summer is a long, long way off, but I've been thinking about using a higher SPF sunblock in the summer as a moisturizer. I'd mix in some jojoba with it to make it more moisturizing. Most sunscreens leave a bit of a sheen so I've been thinking about Neutrogena Dry Touch with SPF 45 (or something like that), which has some mattifying ingredients in it. Any thoughts?

Cam >B)