#241 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

Quick update: Clogged pore healed completely. No new spots in forever. The half a finger of BP has done the trick.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

• Cleanse: Dan's cleanser (2 pumps)
  • Disinfect: Dan's BP (1 finger)
  • Protect: Day: Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturizer SPF 30, Sensitive Skin (3 pumps); Night: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion SPF 15 (3 pumps)

Acne history: Acne battler since 1988. I've had really severe acne when I was a teen where there was not one square inch of clear skin, with tonnes of cysts. That's calmed down considerably, but in my late 30s, I still tend toward minimally inflammatory spots on my forehead and around my nose.

#242 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

A small spot on my left cheek. I'm just leaving it alone.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

• Protect: Day: Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturizer SPF 30, Sensitive Skin (3 pumps); Night: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion SPF 15 (3 pumps)

Acne history: Acne battler since 1988. I've had really severe acne when I was a teen where there was not one square inch of clear skin, with tonnes of cysts. That's calmed down considerably, but in my late 30s, I still tend toward minimally inflammatory spots on my forehead and around my nose.

#243 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

Stupid, stupid, stupid. So that small spot had gotten larger over the last day or so. So this morning, I decided to try to deal with it. And now, over the course of the day, it's gotten even larger and angrier. I guess it wasn't ready, and now it's going to take even longer to heal. How long have I had acne? And still I don't really know how best to deal with spots. Grr.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#244 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Friday was a little embarrassing. The spot was a scabby monstrosity, about 5 mm or so across. People were being nice about not staring, but I was glad this weekend when the scab sloughed off. It's a little pink still, but at least I can dab some concealer on it.

It was my fault to treat it with hydrogen peroxide. That always leaves a scab, but the bubbling is just so satisfying. My bad.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#245 Eryka

Eryka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:08 AM

Oh yeah, I know that one. I've had acne for 15 years and I still push it when dealing with a spot. Even though I know waiting just 2 or 3 days will make the extraction better. Duh.
When Denmark got too cold for Eryka
she didn't get crazed or hysterica.
Opportunity's knockin'
and her life is rockin' --
she's moving back home to America! eusa_dance.gif

Hopefully LionQueen is prophetic and my life will be rockin'

#246 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:56 PM

Wise words, Eryka. I should have waiting longer and saved myself the trouble. When are you going back to Ameryka?

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#247 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

I got another small shaving-related mini-spot. This time, I left the darned thing alone, and it was gone in a couple of days. Lesson learned. Clear otherwise. I have upped my BP to a full pump, though, just to make sure it all stays that way.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#248 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:37 AM

Those were weird holidays for my skin. I must have been a shaving maniac because I had a couple of crazy ingrown hairs. They didn't get inflamed, and I left them pretty much alone, but they were a little unsightly. It's winter; I should just grow a darned beard.

It's been really dry here, and not even the jojoba is keeping the dryness in check. I'm slathering on a thicker layer of moisturizer to counteract it, and that seems to be working.

No active spots.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#249 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

I think that I'm going to have to make some changes to my shaving routine. I've been very gentle with my shaving, which has proven to be the best for my skin. However, I don't think that I have been letting it get wet and soft enough before shaving and have been getting little shaving-related spots--three in the past week. That's way too much. I'm going to let the lather sit for a while to soften my beard and see how it works out.

I had a fashion editorial shoot yesterday for Ion Magazine and they wanted a raw and natural look so they didn't have hair and make-up people. Just a little concealer that I had put on at home between my shaving boo-boos and the glossy pages. I hope that the photographer is adept with Photoshop.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#250 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:25 PM

This is very frustrating. I'm not shaving any more to make sure that I don't get shaving-related spots. And I'm still getting spots in my beard area. I had one start a couple of days ago, and I have a new one this morning. This is very odd for me, even though my beard area is now one of my trouble areas. I also got a spot on my back, and that hasn't happened in a long time. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been on the Regimen a long time, and I'm doing the same thing that worked for me before. Admittedly, the spots are small, but they're appearing, and they're annoying.

I've been working out with heavy weights and supplementing with some protein, but I haven't been overdosing on it by any stretch of the imagination. That and the seasonal changes might be contributing to it, but I've managed to get through working out and seasons without breaking out before.

Oh well, I'll just continue with the Regimen and wait this phase out. So frustrating.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#251 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

OK, so I'm clear again for a few days from any weird shaving-related spots.

It's still sporadically cool here in Vancouver, and I just got back from a stint in frosty Ontario, so my skin's a little dry. I've taken to doing a bit of jojoba manual exfoliation to take care of the flakes because if I leave them, then my skin gets a little red and inflamed. Around my eyes seems to be especially susceptible this year, where last year it was around my mouth. Puffy, flaky eyes aren't attractive.

Now it just needs to stop snowing here, and life will be sorted.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#252 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

Well, this has been a bit of an ordeal. The flakiness around my eyes was so persistent that my regular moisturizer just wasn't doing the trick. I resorted to trying more occlusive and emollient things with varying degrees of success.

My first try was Vaseline, but I must be allergic to it because my eyes got red and swelled noticeably. It took a couple of days for that to go down, during which time I used my regular moisturizer. It's too bad because it really took care of the dryness.

I tried again with a bit of extremely gently manual exfoliation with jojoba and a bit of Dan's AHA. That was a huge mistake. The combination on my delicate eye skin made my eyes swell up again.

I've tried again with the greasy but fabulously moisturizing Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion. It is so gentle that, even if I get it in my eyes, it doesn't burn. And it stays moist all day. It looks like it will keep my eyes moist during the work day and will let my skin heal from the dryness until the weather warms up enough here for my skin to reach moisture equilibrium.

In spot news, I got a spot on my left jawline about a week ago, but it's no longer active. Luckily, my facial hair covered it up just fine.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#253 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

The Cetaphil DailyAdvance Ultra Hydrating Lotion took care of the dryness around my eyes. But even though it said it's non-comedogenic, I don't think that it is. I got a spot just under my eye, and I never get spots there. I'm convinced that it was the lotion. It's a real shame because it really took care of the dryness and was completely gentle around my eyes.

I can't wait until Dan's high-SPF moisturizer comes out. I'll be all over that. I was thinking about trying Cetaphil's SPF 50 facial moisturizer, but I'm not sure now that their supposedly non-comedogenic lotion turned out to make me break out.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#254 pupcake

pupcake

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:my husband, my pets, interior design, music

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

I didn't read all the pages of your log so I'm sorry if maybe you've tried this already. Bobbi Brown's Protective Face Lotion is the only moisturizer that hasn't broken me out. You might want to try it, it could work well for you. It has vitamin E and chamomile so it's pretty soothing too. Just a thought! I love it.

edit to add- oh, i just noticed on their website it says not for the immediate eye area. sad.gif

#255 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the advice, Pupcake. I think that I'll be fine with the Olay for a while now that my dryness is under control. At least until Dan's SPF moisturizer comes out.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#256 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

Still dryish, but not horrific. It gets a little better every day, but that could also be due to the weather warming up.

I want a higher-SPF moisturizer. Dan, please hurry with your SPF moisturizer. With a cherry on top. I saw Cetaphil's SPF 50 moisturizer, and the bottle is so disappointingly small.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#257 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

It's been forever since I've been here. I've cleared up the dryness problem. It's been settled for a while now, which is nice.

I've been getting some small break-outs, maybe a spot a week or so. They've been popping up around my jawline (even without shaving) and on my forehead (which is unusual). They've been more like clogged pores than inflammatory spots, but they're annoying just the same.

I know that I'm bound to have the occasional break-out, but I prefer clear skin, thank you very much. I'm continuing on with the Regimen unaltered.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#258 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

I've still been getting those small, stupid, non-inflammatory spots so I thought that I would try to add a bit of BHA to my regimen, which can help to deal with those clogged pores. I've decided on Spectro AcneCare cleansing pads with salicylic acid (not sure what %, but I like the brand so I bought it without knowing). I hope that helps take care of the problem.

While on the subject of pads, I'm wondering if Dan has ever considered making a BP formulation into pads? I would be all over that instead of the gel since it's way faster.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#259 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:50 PM

Well, of course I messed with a spot that should have been left alone. Of course it turned into a big scabby mess. The goods news is, though, with the addition of BHA to my regimen, the scabbiness exfoliated within a day. Wicked. The skin is a little pink underneath, but that's more easily concealable than crustiness.

Right now, I'm (don't cringe), using BHA twice a day (after gently washing), then applying the BP. However, at night, I'm also using AHA. My skin is tolerating it well, but I do plan on weaning myself off the AHA totally, except on my body, where I use it in the morning to ward off spots. I'll use a moisturizer after the whole routine, morning and night.

I think the BP + BHA might turn out to be a better one-two punch for acne than BP + AHA since my spots are less inflammatory nowadays and since the AHA didn't seem to be doing the trick reliably.

Let's see. I hate messing around with my skin, but since my acne seems to be changing a bit since I started the Regimen a few years ago, I think I'll need to change with it.

Cam >B)

Current regimen:

#260 Malcolm Cringe

Malcolm Cringe

Cam

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

Clear again. The BHA has hyper-exfoliated that spot down to a little pink blur in a couple of days. It was swollen and angry just a couple of days ago. Last night, I didn't use the AHA+ at all, except as a spot treatment on that one spot. I moisturized with the Olay instead.

Still no skin irritation or dryness from the BHA and BP combination, even though I'm using both twice a day. It's strange because my skin can be hyper-sensitive to things that are supposed to be inert (Vaseline) but can handle two typically irritating substances (BHA and BP).

I haven't even gotten any post-shaving spots that I typically get. I credit the BHA for that. That would be a nice bonus since I avoid shaving to avoid the spots. My beard is pitiful until about a couple of weeks of growth, and it'd be nice to be able to be clean shaven occasionally without having to worry about growing it out again.

Cam >B)

Current regimen: