Photo

How long does the contraceptive pill take

diane-35

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 dreamer_22

dreamer_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hi all

I was prescribed the contraceptive pill (one similar to Diane-35) for my acne. Anyway, i've taken the pill for almost a month and i've seen no improvement. My acne has actually worsened (I used to only get acne around my mouth and on my chin, but over the past couple of weeks i've had breakouts on my forehead and my cheeks! - I never used to get acne on my cheeks!)

I'm feeling very disenchanted. How long does the contraceptive pill take to clear up acne? Or doesn't it work for some people? sad.gif

Thanks
A battle of the red marks...

#2 Foomph

Foomph

Fitness Goo Roo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:52 PM

Personally, 3-4 months, and if it doesn't work buy then I try osmething else, but I have a friend who waited it out and it took 9 months (Diane-35) but it worked beautifully.
Accutane Course #1: January 2004-July 2004
Accutane Course #2: December 1st 2006-April 29th 2007

#3 Jane86

Jane86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE(Foomph @ Nov 5 2006, 01:22 PM) View Post

Personally, 3-4 months, and if it doesn't work buy then I try osmething else, but I have a friend who waited it out and it took 9 months (Diane-35) but it worked beautifully.

it took most of my friends 3-4 months as well, but i have known people with more milder cases to have to wait up to 10 or so months for it to work

the company says 6-12 max

so stick with it because the results are truely amazing in the end from what ive seen

#4 *Qwerty*

*Qwerty*

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:24 AM

it takes at least 3 months for the pill to even start helping your acne but with different pills it varies, i started taking yasmin 1 month ago, and for me i'm not sure if its helped already or if its all these other things i'm doing but i've noticed my skin improve...however just keep at it and ur skin should improve if ur acne is hormone based, but definitley stick it out!!
My Regimen

Skincare:
morning.... -Botani purify cleanser -Red tea hydrating cream
night.... -MD Formulations Facial cleanser -Red tea hydrating cream
weekly.... -Neostrata fading gel -Palmers brightning mask

Daily supplements: -Womens multivitamin -Tablespoon of flaxseed oil -Yazmin birth control pill
Diet: -Low GI -2 Litres of water per day -Complexion tea -Dandelion tea
Treatment: Currently going through course of Omnilux blue light treatments (2 down, 6 to go)
Current skin status: -breaking out due to exam stress :(

#5 I_amputated_my_head

I_amputated_my_head

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE(dreamer_22 @ Nov 4 2006, 07:53 PM) View Post

Hi all

I was prescribed the contraceptive pill (one similar to Diane-35) for my acne. Anyway, i've taken the pill for almost a month and i've seen no improvement. My acne has actually worsened (I used to only get acne around my mouth and on my chin, but over the past couple of weeks i've had breakouts on my forehead and my cheeks! - I never used to get acne on my cheeks!)

I'm feeling very disenchanted. How long does the contraceptive pill take to clear up acne? Or doesn't it work for some people? sad.gif

Thanks

if it's making your face break out more, you need to switch to a different birth control medicine. my doctor prescribed me ortho tricyclen. from the research i've done on the internet it is the only birth control pill clinically proven to improve acne. i haven't started the pill yet so i don't know if it'll work for me, but it works for some people. just talk to your doctor about different forms of birth control.

#6 StrawberryShortcake

StrawberryShortcake

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:12 PM

I've heard great stuff about Diane 35. I'd give it a little more time. It is pretty well-known for it's acne fighting abilities, maybe you've just hit some sort of IB? You may want to try searching the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this.

#7 jande

jande

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

In my opinion it doesn't work. Tried it twice. Put on 10 kgs each time in just a month each time. If your acne is caused by hormone levels then if this pill doesn't work it is possible to have your levels assessed and perhaps go with a higher dose. I read an article somewhere on it.

#8 sandia

sandia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:16 PM

I am taking Alesse. I saw improvements a month after I started using it. After 3 months, it got much more better. I started on June2006, we are now on November2006 and although I get the ocassional acne, it is not like before. In my opinion,compared to how my skin was before the pill, it is so beautiful now lol...
Regimen started on Oct 26th 2006:

Every night: Alesse pill started on June 2006
Morning: wash, Paula's choice 2% beta hydroxide gel, Moisturizer, sometimes mineral makeup EM+AN
Evening: wash, Jojoba oil or Emu oil, Paula's choice 2.5% benzoid peroxide, moisturizer.

Status: the pill has helped me a lot. After stopping BP for 2 months, I've been breaking out again. I am reintroducing BP and SA to my regimen again. I noticed they reduced the size of Paula's choice benzoid peroxide from 4 fl oz to 2.25 fl oz, but the price remained the same...

#9 dreamer_22

dreamer_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:06 AM

thanks for your replies everyone.

I think i'll continue for another 3 months at least to see if I see results.

*fingers crossed*

#10 RainbowOrder

RainbowOrder

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2006 - 07:09 PM

my complexion got much much worse for about 3 months when i started BC pills, but has cleared up nicely now after 10 months. i say stick with it a little longer.

#11 Guest_Molly Jean_*

Guest_Molly Jean_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE(dreamer_22 @ Nov 4 2006, 08:53 PM) View Post

Hi all

Thanks

Ive read that certain birthcontrol pills can make acne worse but there are others that make acne disappear. Ive been on Yasmin and Ive read excellent things about Ortho Tricyclin. You might want to talk to your dr about changing to either one of those smile.gif What pill exactly are you taking now?

#12 Tweety2

Tweety2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 32
About Me

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:44 PM

I just switched from Micrgestin to Brevicon and my skin is an absolute mess!! I am hoping that waiting it out will help too..... my fingers will be crossed!

#13 Liv

Liv

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 23
About Me

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE(RainbowOrder @ Nov 9 2006, 05:09 PM) View Post

my complexion got much much worse for about 3 months when i started BC pills, but has cleared up nicely now after 10 months. i say stick with it a little longer.

Same with me. I started breaking out in the first 3 months, it got worse before it got better...it was horrible but I stuck through it and am fairly clear now.
Posted Image

"The great and glorious masterpiece of humanity, is to know how to live with a purpose." -Micheal de Montainge.

#14 Guest_molly_jean_comments_*

Guest_molly_jean_comments_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE(dreamer_22 @ Nov 4 2006, 08:53 PM) View Post

Hi all

Thanks

My dr told me yasmin is better than ortho tri-cyclin and that yasmin is actually one of the best if not the best. Yasmin usually takes 3 months to work. Unfortunately my last period started on like the seventh and I didnt see my dr until the twelfth. I have to wait until my next cycle to start the yasmin but in the past my yasmin made it so I had no acne at all smile.gif

#15 lostinmyface

lostinmyface

searching for the old me

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE(dreamer_22 @ Nov 4 2006, 05:53 PM) View Post

Hi all

Thanks

Be careful, as BC doesn't always work. I have had acne for 20 years (since I was 11). I have been on BC or 15 years ( 3 different kinds over that time ) And my acne still persists. If your acne is hormonal, it should help you. It usually takes about 3 to 6 months to REALLY clear. If it continues to worsen after a couple of months, I would look into a different dose. It is common to break out a little when you first start using it though becuase you are in face adjusting your hormone levels.... and if your acne is hormonal... welll that just makes sense.

How can I face the world when I don't even want to face myself in the mirror??

I am a 30 year old female. I have had mostly moderate acne for almost 20 years.

Started Accutane 11/22/06: 40mg 2X daily

Cetaphil face wash in morning
Panoxyl Soap at night (contains BP)
2- 3X weekly Mix Cetaphil cleanser with Baking Soda to exfoliate at night (AMAZING!)
Cetaphil lotion morning and night
At least 8 - 8oz glasses of water/day
AQUAPHOR

(Generic Accutane = Claravis) My Accutane Log

#16 Guest_molly_jean_comments_*

Guest_molly_jean_comments_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(jbuscemi @ Nov 22 2006, 12:06 PM) View Post

QUOTE(dreamer_22 @ Nov 4 2006, 05:53 PM) View Post

Hi all

Thanks

Be careful, as BC doesn't always work. I have had acne for 20 years (since I was 11). I have been on BC or 15 years ( 3 different kinds over that time ) And my acne still persists. If your acne is hormonal, it should help you. It usually takes about 3 to 6 months to REALLY clear. If it continues to worsen after a couple of months, I would look into a different dose. It is common to break out a little when you first start using it though becuase you are in face adjusting your hormone levels.... and if your acne is hormonal... welll that just makes sense.

I was put on bcps Yasmin and in worked for me in the past. I am gonna use the same exact medicine again so it will probably work. It depends what kind of birthcontrol pill it is and if estrogen is in it

#17 sandia

sandia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:41 PM

I kept a log of pictures of my skin from when I started the pill and I was looking at them and noticed that by the 5th month, I was clear biggrin.gif Well, I have red/brown marks left, but no pimples.
Regimen started on Oct 26th 2006:

Every night: Alesse pill started on June 2006
Morning: wash, Paula's choice 2% beta hydroxide gel, Moisturizer, sometimes mineral makeup EM+AN
Evening: wash, Jojoba oil or Emu oil, Paula's choice 2.5% benzoid peroxide, moisturizer.

Status: the pill has helped me a lot. After stopping BP for 2 months, I've been breaking out again. I am reintroducing BP and SA to my regimen again. I noticed they reduced the size of Paula's choice benzoid peroxide from 4 fl oz to 2.25 fl oz, but the price remained the same...

#18 dreamer_22

dreamer_22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:12 PM

I'm on my third month now and my acne is a *little* better, hopefully only good things to come...

#19 Foomph

Foomph

Fitness Goo Roo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2006 - 10:07 PM

THis was my first time taking Alesse and i tell you, it almost cleared me to the point where I thought I wouldn't need extra help! Allwithing 2 months! But I have a great derm and she gave me accuatne again to make sure it ALL stay clear. But I am NOT getting off this pill ever! Once I finish my second course of accutane I'm staying on it to keep my skin perfect! I tried Diane-35 twice for 9months and it worked, but not perfectly nor as quickly as Alesse.
Accutane Course #1: January 2004-July 2004
Accutane Course #2: December 1st 2006-April 29th 2007

#20 Siouxsie

Siouxsie

Ice Queen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

Yasmin did nothing for my acne & I took it for 2 years. But everyone is different & some pills may work better. I want to look into Diane-35.

Nature of the Beast: Moderate, inflammatory, several cysts, large pores & very oily
Current Status: Very mild overall, with some red marks & mild "bumpiness" on chin (possible scarring).
Use: Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Facial Cleanser or Acne.org Cleanser / Acne.org 2.5% BP day & night / Acne.org Moisturizer for day / DHC Cleansing Oil or Neutrogena Towlettes to remove makeup at night / Oil of Olay Regenerist Night Creme at night

Makeup: Stila Stay All Day Foundation in Light 2 or Beige 3. Cover FX compact powder in 10.

-----

"People understand me so little that they do not even understand when I complain of being misunderstood." - Søren Kierkegaard