Photo

Bikram Yoga and Acne??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 hellokittygirl

hellokittygirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:38 PM

So I just started Bikram Yoga...it's a 90 minute yoga class that takes place in a room heated to 105-110 degrees...it makes you sweat a lot. People say that it's supposed to help your skin because it cleans out your pores and gets rid of toxins in your body. The strange thing is, I've been breaking out since I started the class...I make sure I take off all my make up before class, so I don't know what the issue is...has anyone had a similar experience??? eusa_think.gif

#2 royalredus

royalredus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:40 PM

I didn't have the same experience, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bikram yoga!! Wish I could find a place around here that offers classes. In my next life, I wanna be an instructor.

I bet you anything after about a month you'll quit breaking out from it. It's probably just purging some toxins from your skin.

Ooooh now I wanna do Bikram Yoga!! smile.gif

#3 hellokittygirl

hellokittygirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE(royalredus @ Oct 18 2006, 11:40 AM) View Post

I didn't have the same experience, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bikram yoga!! Wish I could find a place around here that offers classes. In my next life, I wanna be an instructor.

I bet you anything after about a month you'll quit breaking out from it. It's probably just purging some toxins from your skin.

Ooooh now I wanna do Bikram Yoga!! smile.gif

I was talking to this girl in class yesterday and she said exactly the same thing you wrote! She said the heat is probably aggravating the oil glands, causing my skin to break out because of all the toxins and clogged pores...but she said that I should get better if I continue my practice when all the toxins are out.

I love Bikram Yoga too, that's why I don't want to stop practicing, even though it's affecting my skin now...but I'm confident that my skin will improve...hopefully sooner than later... biggrin.gif

#4 royalredus

royalredus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:31 PM

I don't know what you call the pose, but you know the one where you look like a double helix? It's a standing crouch with your legs and arms crossed. Anyway, I hate that one b/c my legs are so sweaty I can't keep them crossed! lol.gif

Have you been doing yoga for a long time?

#5 hellokittygirl

hellokittygirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(royalredus @ Oct 18 2006, 01:31 PM) View Post

I don't know what you call the pose, but you know the one where you look like a double helix? It's a standing crouch with your legs and arms crossed. Anyway, I hate that one b/c my legs are so sweaty I can't keep them crossed! lol.gif

Have you been doing yoga for a long time?

I think you're talking about the eagle pose - it's the one where you cross your arms and try to hook your feet behind your calves...I can't do that one either because I can never get my feet fully behind my calves. I think the one I dislike the most is the the standing bow pose. It's the one where you have one arm straight charging forward while trying to kick back your other leg...I swear, that one sucks!

I've been doing Bikram on and off since June...but it's weird because I didn't have any skin problems with it until August...so maybe my skin is taking it's time with the purging... eusa_wall.gif

Have you looked at bikramyoga.com? You might be able to find a studio near where you live....it really is a great practice.

#6 Foomph

Foomph

Fitness Goo Roo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

[quote]In my next life, I wanna be an instructor.[quote]

Why wait? Do it now! Do it now!

I'm stott certified to teach pilates -mat and reformer and I'm taking my yoga fit certification this weekend.

www.lululemon.com

Accutane Course #1: January 2004-July 2004
Accutane Course #2: December 1st 2006-April 29th 2007

#7 brandini

brandini

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:36 PM

EWWWW YES Bikram Yoga was cooooooolll!!! I loved it.

#8 hellokittygirl

hellokittygirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:56 AM

So, I finally got myself off my ass to go to bikram yoga this week. I was making all kinds of excuses the last couple of weeks because I didn't want people to see my pimples in class and I was convinced that the heat and sweating was making my acne worse...but what I realized in class yesterday was that all my instructors have great skin....so clear and rarely do I see an instructor with maybe a pimple or 2 and they clear up really fast. I'm guessing most of these instructors have been practicing for at least a few years. So, my theory is that maybe all the sweating is actually good for your skin. It may suck in the beginning because as you're releasing the toxins from your body, your skin is reacting by breaking out...but maybe after a certain point when all the "bad stuff" is out of your body (and plus drinking all that water) will actually improve the look and texture of your skin. That's what I'm going to tell myself so I dont' make stupid excuses to skip class again! Hopefully my theory is right... eusa_angel.gif

#9 royalredus

royalredus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

Awwwwesome, I am so jealous! Still can't find a class around here smile.gif If you end up going on a regular basis, post the results!

YOU GO GIRL

#10 hellokittygirl

hellokittygirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(royalredus @ Oct 25 2006, 12:18 PM) View Post

Awwwwesome, I am so jealous! Still can't find a class around here smile.gif If you end up going on a regular basis, post the results!

YOU GO GIRL

THANKS, royalredus!!! That's exactly the motivation I need...I've already gone 3 days this week and I feel really good...everytime I leave class, I thank myself for going...I will definitely aim to go 3-4 times a week...and I'll make sure to post my results.

BTW...I'm not sure if you had a chance to look up class locations on the bikram website, but I saw that there were 3 Utah locations...I don't know exactly which city you're in, but here are their websites...

www.BikramYogaOgden.com
www.BikramYogaSLC.com
www.BikramYogaSandy.com

Hopefully there's one you can go to!

#11 royalredus

royalredus

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(hellokittygirl @ Oct 25 2006, 03:31 PM) View Post

QUOTE(royalredus @ Oct 25 2006, 12:18 PM) View Post

YOU GO GIRL

THANKS, royalredus!!! That's exactly the motivation I need...I've already gone 3 days this week and I feel really good...everytime I leave class, I thank myself for going...I will definitely aim to go 3-4 times a week...and I'll make sure to post my results.

BTW...I'm not sure if you had a chance to look up class locations on the bikram website, but I saw that there were 3 Utah locations...I don't know exactly which city you're in, but here are their websites...

www.BikramYogaOgden.com
www.BikramYogaSLC.com
www.BikramYogaSandy.com

Hopefully there's one you can go to!

YES - I did check that out last week. Those locations are a few hours north of me, but thanks for sending anyway! Maybe that means I need to open a studio of my own. Hee hee!!