Photo

Sandpaper

boxcar ice pick dermabrasion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 bobby27

bobby27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:19 PM

I have a bunch of shallow irregular shaped ice pick/boxcar acne scars on my forhead, and my question is if I get a fine grit sand paper and gently rub a scar until it is pink then it will scab over and when the scab falls off do you think that the scar would be improved? Since it is basically dermabrasion just not as intense. I am a fair complexion so would pigmentation be a problem. I'm not gonna do this until i get some advise so i won't mess up my skin more than it already is.

#2 bobby27

bobby27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:12 PM

Im being completely serious.

#3 lovebea

lovebea

another victim of acne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:15 PM

would you really consider rubbing sandpaper on your face to erase a scar?

first off, i think you're going a bit too far by sanding your own face.

secondly... i think you have better chances of making the scar worse than you do making it better.

i wouldn't suggest you use sandpaper on your face. or any part of your body for that manner, except maybe your nails
+BEAutiful. Because sometimes I can see past the flaws.

WHAT I DID TO CLEAR MY ACNE:
6 Levulan Laser treatments. I was clear after the 5th.
Spirolactone (for females only)

#4 Optimistic

Optimistic

optimistic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:16 PM

someone had mentioned awhile ago that their derm has done skin sanding w/ sandpaper before but B-4 he'd put the sandpaper in some type of solution first. Sorry it was so long ago I really don't remember 2 much. Don't try it though I'd b worried about infections or causing more damage.
Optimistic's Regimine
A.M. 1.Wash with Cetaphil
2.Apply Proactiv toner
3.Spot treat w/ Acne Free Scar Erase
4.Apply Smashbox Primer w/ Dermaxyl Complex
5.Apply make-up(Mineral make-up I luv it!)
P.M. 6.Reapeat steps 1-3
7.Remove eye make-up w/ petroleum jelly
8.Apply Lancome High Resolution w/ Collaser
to forehead and orbs.
9.Apply Orlane Paris Exterme Line Reducing to
lips.

#5 StrawberryShortcake

StrawberryShortcake

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:18 PM

Okay, I'll bite. I can't imagine that this would be good for your skin. But then again, I wouldn't think that rubbing antiperspirant all over your face would work and for some people, it does. Anyway, I would not use sandpaper for much the same reason that people advise against the St. Ives Apricot Scrub, the irregular size and harshness could do even more damage to your skin. I get that this is your end goal, but it seems like an awfully risky venture when there are other options available. I would think that you'll end up with an even bigger scar in the end, but I'm not a doctor. I wouldn't try this, and if you are really set on the idea of dermabrasion to the point of scabbing, then buy something at the drugstore that is formulated for skin, not walls or planks of wood.

#6 Elsewhere

Elsewhere

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

I agree with Strawberry. Very sound advice.
"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."- Gkar, Objects in Motion

"I believe our future depends powerfully on how well we understand this cosmos. The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves." - Carl Sagan

#7 StrawberryShortcake

StrawberryShortcake

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

Hmm. I guess I spoke too soon. I did a little Google research and what you are suggesting is not all that crazy. Apparently before they had the little diamond-tipped machines to do dermabrasion, they used sandpaper. And one guy on some homeopathic forum swore by it, though it sounded like a few people weren't having as much luck. Here's some info I pulled as well:

Professional Treatments for Acne Scars
Dermabrasion has become a professional treatment for acne scars replacing sandpaper with a rotate able machine that does the task of removing damaged skin pretty effectively. In the modern way of dermabrasion, the skin is frozen or numbed first. After dermabrasion, your skin will be raw and scab will form. When the scabs will get cured, your skin will be reddish for several weeks.
Source: http://www.acnehome....acne-scars.html

So in theory, you are correct. However, I wouldn't risk this at-home. It sounds like a doctor is far better equipped to prep you for the procedure and also ensure that it works correctly. In other words, he might know when to stop but you might not. Either way, I stand by my original post to not attempt this on your own. I hope this extra bit of info helps, theory-wise you are on the right track, but as they say, "don't try this at home kids!"

EDIT: Bobby, I just checked out your posts and nearly every single one (if not all) is about your scars. Instead of chasing treatments on here and the web, have you seen a doctor? It sounds like you are willing to go to almost almost any length to get rid of them and that you want miraculous results. Given your scars, I don't think you're going to find that. You certainly won't find it from sandpaper, given the volume of scarring that you have. Perhaps there is a derm on your parent's insurance that also does cosmetic dermatology and can give you some guidance. I hope this helps, I just think that instead of coming up with crazy remedies, you'd be better off seeing a pro. Sorry of this sounds harsh or you're already seeing one, etc. Good luck.

#8 bobby27

bobby27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(StrawberryShortcake @ Oct 8 2006, 07:33 PM) View Post

Hmm. I guess I spoke too soon. I did a little Google research and what you are suggesting is not all that crazy. Apparently before they had the little diamond-tipped machines to do dermabrasion, they used sandpaper. And one guy on some homeopathic forum swore by it, though it sounded like a few people weren't having as much luck. Here's some info I pulled as well:

Dermabrasion has become a professional treatment for acne scars replacing sandpaper with a rotate able machine that does the task of removing damaged skin pretty effectively. In the modern way of dermabrasion, the skin is frozen or numbed first. After dermabrasion, your skin will be raw and scab will form. When the scabs will get cured, your skin will be reddish for several weeks.

So in theory, you are correct. However, I wouldn't risk this at-home. It sounds like a doctor is far better equipped to prep you for the procedure and also ensure that it works correctly. In other words, he might know when to stop but you might not. Either way, I stand by my original post to not attempt this on your own. I hope this extra bit of info helps, theory-wise you are on the right track, but as they say, "don't try this at home kids!"

Thank you so much for your responses, and i think i'll take your advice and let a professional do it after all the results will be permanent.and i also didn't know that St. Ives Apricot Scrub could be harmful i'll stop using it even though i haven't experienced any negative side effects but why take a risk.

#9 ylem

ylem

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(bobby27 @ Oct 8 2006, 06:58 PM) View Post

QUOTE(StrawberryShortcake @ Oct 8 2006, 07:33 PM) View Post

Thank you so much for your responses, and i think i'll take your advice and let a professional do it after all the results will be permanent.and i also didn't know that St. Ives Apricot Scrub could be harmful i'll stop using it even though i haven't experienced any negative side effects but why take a risk.

Professionals do buy sandpaper at the hardware store, bit it IS soaked in a medical solution first. Have a professional do it. I think I might give it a try too!

#10 greg06

greg06

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:59 AM

Rubbing on the skin that aggresively tends to cause hypopigmentation....don't risk it. Hypopigmentation is very hard, almost impossible to correct.

#11 Keithr23

Keithr23

georgio6

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:58 AM

If u want to do something like that get a microdermabrasion kit from the store and use that until the skin is really red and has pinoint bleeding. THis wont work as fast a ssandpaper but will over time and is a whole lot safer.

#12 pennypal

pennypal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:28 PM

I think the difference between other mthods (dermabrasion , microdermabrasion, strong peels) and sandpaper is the tool being used is "designed" to give an "even" scrapping of the skin. The crystals (or whatever they are) on sandpaper ar uneven, misshapen schards. The removal of skin is therefore is random, of differing depths and angles, and possibly creating more scars. There are creams and peels designed to do this very thing - remove skin.

Also in the hands on a capable dermatologist, he can apply pressure where he needs and let up in other areas. I don't think you would able to achieve those kinds of results on your own.

#13 bobby27

bobby27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(Keithr23 @ Oct 9 2006, 10:58 AM) View Post

If u want to do something like that get a microdermabrasion kit from the store and use that until the skin is really red and has pinoint bleeding. THis wont work as fast a ssandpaper but will over time and is a whole lot safer.

Would this cause hypopigmentation cause if not, it sounds good and i'll try it.

#14 greg06

greg06

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

Would this cause hypopigmentation cause if not, it sounds good and i'll try it.***

***I really wouldn't do it yourself. You really should consult a dermatologic surgeon. Dermatologic surgeons do more than general dermatology and generally they know more about cosmetic procedures that can help scarring. Like other people on this board have said chemical peels, and microdermabrasion are extremely safe and have short recovery times. They are designed to "sand down" the skin so to speak. Fixing scars is not a fast process and will take even longer if you make your skin worse by trying to perform surgical procedures yourself. Please just save the money and time and use it to see a qualified dermatologic surgeon. See the following website to find one in your area:

http://www.asds-net.org/

I know scars can be frustrating. I, myself, have the tendency to want to shave some of my skin problems with a razor - but I stop myself as soon as I see it causes irritation and isn't working. Just don't risk it or you'll regret it later. It is very likely that rubbing on the skin to the point of bleeding will cause hypopigmntation b/c it will screw up the melanocytes. One thing that seems to help over time with raised scars is gently massaging them. If you have raised scars, just gently massage them after you shower and it should help them even out.

#15 Keithr23

Keithr23

georgio6

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

Ive been on these boards for over a year reading what people have done and doing treatments for my own skin. I have a microdermabrasion pro machine that I use on myself to the point of pinpoint bleeding. It is not as harsh as it sounds. This has really smoothed out most of my minor skin problems and I have had NO PIGMENT PROBLEMS OR ADDITIONAL SCARRING. I wouldnt give this as a real solution if I did not know it worked and was safe.

It takes 5 days for my own skin to heal over and flake off totally revealing fresh skin. That skin is slightly pink for a day or two and thats it. I use concealer so it is never noticable except the day it peels. Even then it is no biggie and most of that comes off from a gentle washing morning and night. Seriously I do it once every 2 weeks and still do regular things without thinking about it. THis is a great solution if u have minor scarring. I owuld suggest a pro machine as they are evenly and easily controlled but have been told that the ones from the store can work in the same way so I passed that on here.

Later

#16 new_guy1

new_guy1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2006 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE(Keithr23 @ Oct 10 2006, 02:07 AM) View Post

Ive been on these boards for over a year reading what people have done and doing treatments for my own skin. I have a microdermabrasion pro machine that I use on myself to the point of pinpoint bleeding. It is not as harsh as it sounds. This has really smoothed out most of my minor skin problems and I have had NO PIGMENT PROBLEMS OR ADDITIONAL SCARRING. I wouldnt give this as a real solution if I did not know it worked and was safe.

It takes 5 days for my own skin to heal over and flake off totally revealing fresh skin. That skin is slightly pink for a day or two and thats it. I use concealer so it is never noticable except the day it peels. Even then it is no biggie and most of that comes off from a gentle washing morning and night. Seriously I do it once every 2 weeks and still do regular things without thinking about it. THis is a great solution if u have minor scarring. I owuld suggest a pro machine as they are evenly and easily controlled but have been told that the ones from the store can work in the same way so I passed that on here.

Later

Where did you get a microdermabrasion machine? aren't they expensive?

#17 turbo200sx

turbo200sx

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:28 AM

if u want dermabrasion.. get a fully charged electric toothbrush and press it hard it against ur skin and turn it on...

#18 Keithr23

Keithr23

georgio6

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(new_guy1 @ Oct 10 2006, 02:57 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Keithr23 @ Oct 10 2006, 02:07 AM) View Post

Later

Where did you get a microdermabrasion machine? aren't they expensive?

I have a Diamond brand machine u can get it from their website or off Ebay. They supply microderm units to most spas and derm clinics in the US. It was several hundred dollars but I can control what I do and where on my own face with it. I dont really think $100 sessions that just "freshen" the skin are what people with even very light scarring need.

#19 Violet

Violet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:00 PM

Keith,
You're brilliant! Do you have a link to their website. I'm going to do google search but want to make sure I find the right Diamond brand. Is it the same as the Diamondtome? I WANT MY OWN TOO. I was going to start microderm after I end the tane. Did you use yours while you were on tane? I have one of those home devices with the sponge that vibrates. It was so messy and never really gave me results. Does yours use a messy cream or does it shoot crystals? I'm so intrigued.

If beauty is painful I must be super hot.

#20 mz43026

mz43026

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:38 PM

That sounds very dangerous to me. What if the spots you treat gets infected? Have you tried seeing a doctor or done any treatments? Don't make your skin even worse b/c that is what I did when I decided to treat my skin on my own. Good Luck

Fraxel2 Treatment #1
Oct. 20th 2006
CHEEKS ONLY
Energy Level: 15 @ 8 passes
Spot Treat Energy Level: 18 @ 4 passes
Density Level: 125 MTZ

Fraxel2 (Newest Upgrade) Treatment #2
Nov. 17th 2006
CHEEKS ONLY
Treatment Level 10
10 Passes
KJ ~2.64
Energy Fluency (MJ) 25
Density ???

Fraxel2 Treatment #3
Dec. 7th 2006
CHEEKS ONLY
Treatment level 8
8 passes
KJ (Actual Size) ~6.9
Energy Fluency (MJ) 25

Fraxel2 Treatment #4
Jan. 4th 2007
CHEEKS ONLY
Treatment level 8
8 passes
KJ (Actual Size) 2.3
Energy Fluency(MJ) 30

Fraxel2 Treatment #5
Feb. 2007
Cheeks Only
Treatment level: 8
8 passes
KJ(Acutal Size) 1.86
Energy Fluency(MJ) 30

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #6
Oct/26/2007
Spot treatments on cheeks
Treatment level: 45 MJ

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #7
Nov/30/2007
Cheeks Only
Treatment level: 70 MJ

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #8
1/25/2008
Cheeks Only
Treatment level: 75 MJ

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #9
3/28/2008
Cheeks + Nose
Treatment level: 78 MJ
Coverage: 26%

Fraxel Re:pair Treatment #10
4/25/2008
Cheeks
Treatment level: 75 MJ

Before Fraxel, I've had 5 punch excision. 4 on the left cheek, 1 on the right cheek.

-1 on the left cheek stayed the same but left w/ a linear scar
-1 on the left cheek look much worse. Left w/ long indented linear scar
-2 on the left cheek looks better but left w/ linear scars
-1 on the right cheek looks better (more shallow) but left w/ linear scar.