shaving cream

2 replies to this topic

#1 Telver

Telver

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:23 PM

Over at http://www.zerozits....le6.htm#inglist they list ingredients that are comedogenic and irritating to the skin. They list them in a grading scale from 0 for non-comedogenic/irritating to 5 for very comedogenic/irritating. One of the items they have listed is stearic acid, which was given a comedogenic rating of 2. Not horrible, but not great either. Stearic acid is in a TON of acne products on the market. Face washes, shaving creams, sunscreens, and even in the moisturizer Dan recommends for his regimen have stearic acid as an ingredient. I'm currently switching to stuff that doesn't contain it, which has proved fairly tricky in some cases. Has anyone found that it was the stearic acid in products that made them break out?

#2 Botchla

Botchla

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2003 - 07:38 PM

awesome link.. thanks!

another one in the list is cetyl alcohol, which got a rating of 2. it seems to be in just about every product as well.

#3 mkplvr

mkplvr

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2003 - 09:40 PM

I get my info. from a book called "don't go to the cosmetics counter without me" by Paula Begoun. This book is my bible and her products by trial an error have helped my skin. Anyway, she gives you recommendations on products by their ingredients and there are some key ones not to use, so watch out for: menthol, sd-alchohol, arnica, ethyl acetate, horsetail extract, grapefruit oil, eucalyptus oil, isopropyl myristate, C14-16 olefin sulfate, to name a few. Alot of "acne" products are full of irritating ingredients way too many to list. I use: PM- Phisoderm Deep Cleaning Cleanser,Sensitive Skin. Ultima II Vital Radiance Skin Renewing Toner Normal to Dry (has 2% SA), Paula's Choice Xtra Str. BP.
AM-Wash same, tone same, Alpha Hydroxy Oil-Free AHA, Aveeno Radiant Skin Moisture Spf 15. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users