Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Time4HighSelfEsteem

Very freaked out: rectal bleeding on accutane

52 posts in this topic

I have had just a spot of blood when I have bowel movements since on tane, but this morning, I had a lot more blood. It was bright red. Someone said once if it is dark red that's a problem. I am scared...but I am not sure if I should stop the pill because this is the first time I saw that amount. I don't want to stop treatment, but don't want to screw myself up. Should I see if it happens for 2 more days? Anyone else experience this?

MY ACCUTANE LOG

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=113285

Supplements:

acidophilus pills (jarro dophilis)

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

as many antioxidants from my diet!

Evening:HONEY OATMEAL SOAP

Waiting for Green Cream in mail

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Green Tea/Peppermint for spots cream

Makeup:

Mac powder, Mac Full Coverage

Call a pharmacist. You don't have to tell them who you are. Just ask them a hypothetical question about tane and bleeding as a side effect. I'm sure they'll give you an answer without forcing you to give up your personal information. And if its life threatening, you can tell your doctor.

People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.

ok, but i just want to know also if anyone has an experience with this. i feel alone in it right now. i am traveling and in hotel. i feel alone and nervous. thanks for the response.

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

:(

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

Bright red or dark makes no difference still cause for concern. If its large amount then seek medical attn. but sometimes being constipated or having anal fissures can cause bledding not accutane.

ok, so i had it for 3 days...it was bright red and also freaked me out. i went off the accutane for 1 week and decided to go back on it again, it never happened again and im glad i went back on it and finished the rest of the course..its nothing to really get concerned over..as it can be a perfectly normal symptom of taking the tane. It would probably be wise to tell your derm, but for now i can tell u that i stopped taking the pills and all my other vitamins and i was back to normal, started up again and it didn't come back.

ok, my diet. last night i had a cheese quesadilla with peppers and spinach. i had a nut bar during the day and a greek salad. I also had vegetable juice.

today i had some barbaras oat cereal, pancakes, a sweet potato and salad.

tenshi, i will pm you for my questions. sorry about that.

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

I'm pretty sure that was in my roaccutane booklet as a possible symptom (I already lost it so I can't check for you sorry lol), and I've read of other people being worried about it here. I think it's 'normal' but you might wanna call your derm to make sure.

Hey Gurl! ive actually seen quite a few people on here say they have experienced that aswel so your not alone. And i do think it said it as one of the side effects also. I'm just wondering though....do you get a bloated sore tummy alot after you eat certain foods??? The reason im asking you this is that ive been diagnosed with IBS(Irriatable bowel syndrome) and ive had it for ages but i only just went to get it properly diagnosed after being in that much pain i couldnt walk. And yea ive got the same problem as you...bleeding there. Sometimes it can be small amounts other times alot more. Sometimes not at all. And because Roaccutane has been known to flare IBS up that could be why your only experiencing this now?? i dunno... but yea i rekon half the population has sum form ov IBS but havent been properly diagnosed with it lol. Im sure its nuthing to extreame :razz: Good Luck!!!! XxOoxX!

thanks bj, i don't have ibs, but i believe accutane is causing me to begin to. i feel more calm now. much appreciation to all. i think i will see if it happens again tomorrow. if it does, i may take a few days off and then start up again. peace, abby

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

Ive had rectal bleeding since maybe the 2nd week, and i get it pretty much every day.But im quite certain that its not IBS but just rectal bleeding due to the dryness induced by accutane.But hell if it gives me clear skin theres no way im bringing this up to my derm lest he takes me off it( hes already been considering since i have depression)

If the bleeding is caused by dryness/constipation, a stool softener will help. Citrucel is an excellent one to use, especially for people with IBS (which I have...diagnosed a long time ago, not a result of tane) whether you have constipation or diarrhea. It is not a laxative and doesn't cause additional stomach distress.

You should never minimize your symptoms...you need to honest w/your drs. A good dr, won't have a knee jerk reaction, and will be able to work w/you to minimize your discomfort.

And a word of warning, ovarian cancer can have some of the same symptoms as IBS, so any symptoms you have, need to get a proper diagnosis.

39 year old female...adult acne since early 20's. I've tried everything out there for my mild/moderate acne. I got tired of using oral antibiotics and 3 types of topicals on a daily basis...especially since I still had breakouts.

Started Accutane (generic) on 8/09/06, 20mg twice a day...I weigh 120 lbs.

I'm on week 17. My side effects have been mild. Very mild IB around the 5th week, completely clear by week 12. My lips are dry, my scalp isn't oily anymore, mild skin flakiness, but I can still wear my contacts.

Products:

Aveeno "Ultra Calming" Foaming face wash

Aveeno "Ultra Calming" daily moisturizer w/spf

Aveeno "Ultra Calming" moisterizer (w/o spf) at night

Cetaphil bar soap for in the shower

Aquaphor...lots of Aquaphor

Accutane causes dryness everywhere, and that includes around the anus. The bright blood is from localized tearing of that sensitive tissue and is honestly nothing to worry about unless it is dark, more brown colored, which would indicate that the bleeding is inside the digestive tract rather than superficial as your's is. Don't worry about it. If it hurts or just freaks you out, apply some Aquaphor or Vaseline to the anus to moisturize the tissue.

Currently - all clear!

Maintaining my last Accutane course (10/05-04/06) click here for log

Yasmin on Seasonale schedule

Green Cream lvl 6

Shiseido White Lucent system

(cleanser, and SPF 16 moisturizer (no way, SPF that doesn't sting!?))

you guys are amazing. lol, it stopped, so might have just been a bad day. had lots of fiber and today was a lot easier. i think fiber is another thing to add on tane list with omega 3: there is a powder in health food store called psyllium husk (colon cleanse). it works really well.

you guys are amazing. lol, it stopped, so might have just been a bad day. had lots of fiber and today was a lot easier. i think fiber is another thing to add on tane list with omega 3: there is a powder in health food store called psyllium husk (colon cleanse). it works really well.

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

haha my surgen told me to use that psyllium husk for my IBS! LoL ewwww i couldnt eat it it was soooo yuck i chucked everytime i had a mouthful haha!!! but yea it would work well i just couldnt stand the stuff lol. Im glad to hear its gone now for you :) XxOoxX!!!

I have had the same symptoms but it is from a mild form of colitis....I have from time to time. You need to see a gastro doctor (intestine). They can give you simple pills (asacol) that helps you heal or something call rowasa that is not a pill...sort of uncomfortable if you know what i mean but it works great.

haha my surgen told me to use that psyllium husk for my IBS! LoL ewwww i couldnt eat it it was soooo yuck i chucked everytime i had a mouthful haha!!! but yea it would work well i just couldnt stand the stuff lol. Im glad to hear its gone now for you :) XxOoxX!!!

Holy Bloody Butt Tear, Batman!!

That psyllium stuff is the same stuff that's in Metamucil. I have had anal tears and anal fissures since I was a kid. Too much junk food, I think. Anyhoo, after discovering Metamucil a few years ago, no more butt tears. But, ever since I started Accutane if I skip a day taking my Meta, yowwwwwcheeeee :shock: !

Oh, and Metamucil just tastes like orange drink. Just don't get the sugar free one. Yukkers.

Platinum

Started treatment Sept. 26th, 2006

Ended treatment March 5th, 2007

Status....totally clear of cystic acne, however getting pimples on my scalp (8/08)

MONTH 1 40mg

MONTH 2 40mg

MONTH 3 60mg

MONTH 4 60mg

MONTH 5 40mg

AM

Wash with Cetaphil

On the Spot BP for spot treatments of pimples

Olay moisturizer w/spf15 too oily now 4 months post tane

Fish oil capsules

Vitamin E

Calcium supplements

Vitamin B complex

Restasis for dry eye

Lubricating eye drops every 2 hours

PM

Seasonale BCP

More fish oil, vitamin E, calcium and with dinner

Wash with Cetaphil

Restasis for dry eye

Olay moisturizer or Lubriderm I don't need a nightly moisturizer anymore because my oil (moisture, really) is coming back.

F.E.A.R. = Face Everything And Recover (or F*ck Everything And Run, depending on the day <ahttp://static.acne.org/ipb_uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'>)My Accutane Log

Man, I'm really glad I found this forum -- I'm on my 4th month of Accutane, and started having this same bright red rectal bleeding thing on Friday afternoon (I did a search on this, and that's how I found you guys). I'm going to relax and see how it goes -- I'm still having it off and on, but if this is a known issue, I'll just give it a little more time.

Man, I'm really glad I found this forum -- I'm on my 4th month of Accutane, and started having this same bright red rectal bleeding thing on Friday afternoon (I did a search on this, and that's how I found you guys). I'm going to relax and see how it goes -- I'm still having it off and on, but if this is a known issue, I'll just give it a little more time.

Me too. It's really good to know that it's not necessarily serious. I'm going to go off it for a week and start eating prunes, berries and a high fibre cereal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weet_bix). Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Time4HighSelfEsteem, how are you going since then?

Me too. It's really good to know that it's not necessarily serious. I'm going to go off it for a week and start eating prunes, berries and a high fibre cereal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weet_bix). Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Time4HighSelfEsteem, how are you going since then?

Heya! yea just anything obviously with a high dose of fibre...if you normaly have white bread go for wholegrain instead, oh beans are really good aswel LOL!!! hope all goes well :)

well, i went off for 12 days and my buttock healed itself. I also used preparation h to heal the damage. Now, i am back on tane and have had no tears.I think sometimes you have to go off for a week so the body can repair the tear. otherwise it stays dry and keeps happening. prep h healed it and made it not so dry. i used it everytime i pooped. don't u just love this conversation? hahaha.

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

hello ... it happenend to me just today...

but it was red like from an external bleed.... it was barely noticesable on the tissue ... how bad was yours ??

i think if it happens again i might have to tell my doctor...

but i have no experienced anything woerd like that.. other thant first day ( day 5 to now 6 slight headaches) ....

please post comments ... it is nice to have accutane buddies =D

I researched and found out that there can be serious bowel problems associated with Accutane, but I think what you're experiencing is a tear in the lining of your anus (as gross as that sounds). I've noticed that accutane seems to dry my stool and makes it hard to pass, so what I do is take stool softeners regularly. It helps a lot. Good luck!

I researched and found out that there can be serious bowel problems associated with Accutane, but I think what you're experiencing is a tear in the lining of your anus (as gross as that sounds). I've noticed that accutane seems to dry my stool and makes it hard to pass, so what I do is take stool softeners regularly. It helps a lot. Good luck!

late to the party...

My Regimen:

Started Accutane 1/12/10! Done as of 7/10/10!

Cleanser: Neutrogena Foaming Facial Cleanser (AM&PM)

Moisturizer: Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 (AM)

Topicals: Paula's Choice 2% BHA Gel (PM)

Other Pills: Velivet, Zinc, Vitamin E, Biotin, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, B Complex vitamins and Iron

Makeup: Lately, none, but when I do:

Meow Cosmetics Frisky Ocicat foundation

and whatever blush, eyeshadows, I deem necessary to wear.

Also, L'Oreal black eyeliner always.

Current Status: Face looking pretty darn good.