Photo

Very freaked out: rectal bleeding on accutane

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 Time4HighSelfEsteem

Time4HighSelfEsteem

Clearup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

I have had just a spot of blood when I have bowel movements since on tane, but this morning, I had a lot more blood. It was bright red. Someone said once if it is dark red that's a problem. I am scared...but I am not sure if I should stop the pill because this is the first time I saw that amount. I don't want to stop treatment, but don't want to screw myself up. Should I see if it happens for 2 more days? Anyone else experience this?

MY ACCUTANE LOG

http://www.acne.org/...howtopic=113285

Supplements:

acidophilus pills (jarro dophilis)
INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)
as many antioxidants from my diet!

Evening:HONEY OATMEAL SOAP
Waiting for Green Cream in mail
Lustra AF Hydroquinone
Green Tea/Peppermint for spots cream

Makeup:

Mac powder, Mac Full Coverage

[size=6]

#2 Scylla

Scylla

beautiful monster

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

Call a pharmacist. You don't have to tell them who you are. Just ask them a hypothetical question about tane and bleeding as a side effect. I'm sure they'll give you an answer without forcing you to give up your personal information. And if its life threatening, you can tell your doctor.
People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.

#3 Time4HighSelfEsteem

Time4HighSelfEsteem

Clearup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

ok, but i just want to know also if anyone has an experience with this. i feel alone in it right now. i am traveling and in hotel. i feel alone and nervous. thanks for the response.

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

[size=6]

#4 Time4HighSelfEsteem

Time4HighSelfEsteem

Clearup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

sad.gif

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

[size=6]

#5 ImOily

ImOily

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:54 PM

Bright red or dark makes no difference still cause for concern. If its large amount then seek medical attn. but sometimes being constipated or having anal fissures can cause bledding not accutane.

#6 aznboi986

aznboi986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

whats your diet been lately?

#7 Tenshi

Tenshi

Even Better...

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

ok, so i had it for 3 days...it was bright red and also freaked me out. i went off the accutane for 1 week and decided to go back on it again, it never happened again and im glad i went back on it and finished the rest of the course..its nothing to really get concerned over..as it can be a perfectly normal symptom of taking the tane. It would probably be wise to tell your derm, but for now i can tell u that i stopped taking the pills and all my other vitamins and i was back to normal, started up again and it didn't come back.

#8 Time4HighSelfEsteem

Time4HighSelfEsteem

Clearup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:05 PM

ok, my diet. last night i had a cheese quesadilla with peppers and spinach. i had a nut bar during the day and a greek salad. I also had vegetable juice.
today i had some barbaras oat cereal, pancakes, a sweet potato and salad.

tenshi, i will pm you for my questions. sorry about that.

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

[size=6]

#9 bb69

bb69

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

I'm pretty sure that was in my roaccutane booklet as a possible symptom (I already lost it so I can't check for you sorry lol), and I've read of other people being worried about it here. I think it's 'normal' but you might wanna call your derm to make sure.

#10 BJ'sGuRL

BJ'sGuRL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:47 PM

Hey Gurl! ive actually seen quite a few people on here say they have experienced that aswel so your not alone. And i do think it said it as one of the side effects also. I'm just wondering though....do you get a bloated sore tummy alot after you eat certain foods??? The reason im asking you this is that ive been diagnosed with IBS(Irriatable bowel syndrome) and ive had it for ages but i only just went to get it properly diagnosed after being in that much pain i couldnt walk. And yea ive got the same problem as you...bleeding there. Sometimes it can be small amounts other times alot more. Sometimes not at all. And because Roaccutane has been known to flare IBS up that could be why your only experiencing this now?? i dunno... but yea i rekon half the population has sum form ov IBS but havent been properly diagnosed with it lol. Im sure its nuthing to extreame razz.gif Good Luck!!!! XxOoxX!

#11 Time4HighSelfEsteem

Time4HighSelfEsteem

Clearup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:40 PM

thanks bj, i don't have ibs, but i believe accutane is causing me to begin to. i feel more calm now. much appreciation to all. i think i will see if it happens again tomorrow. if it does, i may take a few days off and then start up again. peace, abby

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

[size=6]

#12 wadsthepointofliving

wadsthepointofliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 11:17 PM

Ive had rectal bleeding since maybe the 2nd week, and i get it pretty much every day.But im quite certain that its not IBS but just rectal bleeding due to the dryness induced by accutane.But hell if it gives me clear skin theres no way im bringing this up to my derm lest he takes me off it( hes already been considering since i have depression)

#13 mickey67

mickey67

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

If the bleeding is caused by dryness/constipation, a stool softener will help. Citrucel is an excellent one to use, especially for people with IBS (which I have...diagnosed a long time ago, not a result of tane) whether you have constipation or diarrhea. It is not a laxative and doesn't cause additional stomach distress.

You should never minimize your symptoms...you need to honest w/your drs. A good dr, won't have a knee jerk reaction, and will be able to work w/you to minimize your discomfort.

And a word of warning, ovarian cancer can have some of the same symptoms as IBS, so any symptoms you have, need to get a proper diagnosis.

39 year old female...adult acne since early 20's. I've tried everything out there for my mild/moderate acne. I got tired of using oral antibiotics and 3 types of topicals on a daily basis...especially since I still had breakouts.

Started Accutane (generic) on 8/09/06, 20mg twice a day...I weigh 120 lbs.

I'm on week 17. My side effects have been mild. Very mild IB around the 5th week, completely clear by week 12. My lips are dry, my scalp isn't oily anymore, mild skin flakiness, but I can still wear my contacts.

Products:

Aveeno "Ultra Calming" Foaming face wash
Aveeno "Ultra Calming" daily moisturizer w/spf
Aveeno "Ultra Calming" moisterizer (w/o spf) at night
Cetaphil bar soap for in the shower
Aquaphor...lots of Aquaphor

#14 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

Accutane causes dryness everywhere, and that includes around the anus. The bright blood is from localized tearing of that sensitive tissue and is honestly nothing to worry about unless it is dark, more brown colored, which would indicate that the bleeding is inside the digestive tract rather than superficial as your's is. Don't worry about it. If it hurts or just freaks you out, apply some Aquaphor or Vaseline to the anus to moisturize the tissue.
Currently - all clear!
Maintaining my last Accutane course (10/05-04/06) click here for log
Yasmin on Seasonale schedule
Green Cream lvl 6
Shiseido White Lucent system
(cleanser, and SPF 16 moisturizer (no way, SPF that doesn't sting!?))

#15 Time4HighSelfEsteem

Time4HighSelfEsteem

Clearup

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

you guys are amazing. lol, it stopped, so might have just been a bad day. had lots of fiber and today was a lot easier. i think fiber is another thing to add on tane list with omega 3: there is a powder in health food store called psyllium husk (colon cleanse). it works really well.

you guys are amazing. lol, it stopped, so might have just been a bad day. had lots of fiber and today was a lot easier. i think fiber is another thing to add on tane list with omega 3: there is a powder in health food store called psyllium husk (colon cleanse). it works really well.

MY ACCUTANE LOG

Supplements:

INDIAN HERBS (ayurvedic)

Lustra AF Hydroquinone

Makeup:

[size=6]

#16 BJ'sGuRL

BJ'sGuRL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(Time4HighSelfEsteem @ Oct 9 2006, 12:50 PM) View Post

haha my surgen told me to use that psyllium husk for my IBS! LoL ewwww i couldnt eat it it was soooo yuck i chucked everytime i had a mouthful haha!!! but yea it would work well i just couldnt stand the stuff lol. Im glad to hear its gone now for you smile.gif XxOoxX!!!

#17 rdjersey

rdjersey

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2006 - 02:30 PM

I have had the same symptoms but it is from a mild form of colitis....I have from time to time. You need to see a gastro doctor (intestine). They can give you simple pills (asacol) that helps you heal or something call rowasa that is not a pill...sort of uncomfortable if you know what i mean but it works great.

#18 Platinum007

Platinum007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(BJ'sGuRL @ Oct 9 2006, 11:35 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Time4HighSelfEsteem @ Oct 9 2006, 12:50 PM) View Post

haha my surgen told me to use that psyllium husk for my IBS! LoL ewwww i couldnt eat it it was soooo yuck i chucked everytime i had a mouthful haha!!! but yea it would work well i just couldnt stand the stuff lol. Im glad to hear its gone now for you smile.gif XxOoxX!!!

Holy Bloody Butt Tear, Batman!!

That psyllium stuff is the same stuff that's in Metamucil. I have had anal tears and anal fissures since I was a kid. Too much junk food, I think. Anyhoo, after discovering Metamucil a few years ago, no more butt tears. But, ever since I started Accutane if I skip a day taking my Meta, yowwwwwcheeeee shock.gif !

Oh, and Metamucil just tastes like orange drink. Just don't get the sugar free one. Yukkers.

Platinum
Started treatment Sept. 26th, 2006
Ended treatment March 5th, 2007
Status....totally clear of cystic acne, however getting pimples on my scalp (8/08)

MONTH 1 40mg
MONTH 2 40mg
MONTH 3 60mg
MONTH 4 60mg
MONTH 5 40mg

AM
Wash with Cetaphil
On the Spot BP for spot treatments of pimples
Olay moisturizer w/spf15 too oily now 4 months post tane
Fish oil capsules
Vitamin E
Calcium supplements
Vitamin B complex
Restasis for dry eye
Lubricating eye drops every 2 hours

PM
Seasonale BCP
More fish oil, vitamin E, calcium and with dinner
Wash with Cetaphil
Restasis for dry eye
Olay moisturizer or Lubriderm I don't need a nightly moisturizer anymore because my oil (moisture, really) is coming back.

F.E.A.R. = Face Everything And Recover (or F*ck Everything And Run, depending on the day :))My Accutane Log

#19 Kali7

Kali7

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

Man, I'm really glad I found this forum -- I'm on my 4th month of Accutane, and started having this same bright red rectal bleeding thing on Friday afternoon (I did a search on this, and that's how I found you guys). I'm going to relax and see how it goes -- I'm still having it off and on, but if this is a known issue, I'll just give it a little more time.

#20 Serenity TRL

Serenity TRL

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE(Kali7 @ Nov 6 2006, 01:07 PM) View Post

Man, I'm really glad I found this forum -- I'm on my 4th month of Accutane, and started having this same bright red rectal bleeding thing on Friday afternoon (I did a search on this, and that's how I found you guys). I'm going to relax and see how it goes -- I'm still having it off and on, but if this is a known issue, I'll just give it a little more time.
Me too. It's really good to know that it's not necessarily serious. I'm going to go off it for a week and start eating prunes, berries and a high fibre cereal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weet_bix). Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Time4HighSelfEsteem, how are you going since then?