315 posts in this topic

Hello, I just took my first Accutane (Amnesteen) pill yesterday. I am at 40 mg and am supposed to stay with that the whole treatment. My dermatologist told me to keep on using my normal products, tazorac and benzacylin (only used when I have an actual pimple, not used everyday). But I do use Tazorac cream every night on my whole entire face just because. He said I shouldn't have a problem since it is a cream and that I will only have to stop if I get really dry, but since its a cream i shouldn't have a problem. He also told me to continue using my salcilyic face wash and camomille and godfrey toner. I think that all of this might be to much for my poor skin to handle with the accutane,but thats what he recommended. But hes also just mad because I stopped paying $500 a month for his lasers that didn't work, so I'm thinking he said to use thoses things even though it might not be in my skin's best interest. Did anyone else keep on using their regular reutine while on accutane? Thanks!

i was placed on the same mg you are, and have dropped everything except for purchasing a gentle cleanser that i use morning and night. the rest of the time i just keep myself moisturized.

Cleaning While on Accutane

Is it ok to use facial Scrubs while on it if used lightly, also what facial cleaning products are best to use ???

Many thanks

MSN - Si_ibiza@hotmail.com

Hello, OK, I have a question for everyone. It is my knowledge that the red marks that are left after breakouts are just inflammation-really nothing more. If its indented or whatever then it is a more sever scar, but generally speaking it is just inflamation if its a bunch of little red/pink dots. This is at least what my dermatologist Nissan Pilest told me (the best dermatologist in OC, he is seriously really good!). Anyways, it is also my understanding that Accutane generally clears up inflamation, while preventing new acne from forming.

SO I guess my question is, why do I see all these people saying on these Message Boards that Accutane has absolutely nothing to do with healing red spots? I have just started Accutane, but I just think it would make sense for it to help. I'm starting to think that maybe these people had very large scars and now they have small ones and are just upset that the Accutane didn't take them away completely. So I'm thinking maybe (hopefully!) since my scars are not very large, however I believe they do have a large quantity, but that Accutane will essentially banish them. Am I leaving in a dreamworld when I say this?

For example, like Jenn's Accutane Journal (the first journal Google gives! http://jmhpr.tripod.com/accutanediary/) she started out incredibly inflamed and then at the end she was not inflamed. Now if I were to start with scars like her 12 week pictures, wouldn't the Accutane decrease that inflamation, just as it did for her week 1 to week 20?

WOW, this was super long and I didn't mean for it to come out making me sound like such a dork! rolleyes.gif But I just wanted to see if anybody could answer and I wanted to make myself very comprehensible!

it says here that alchohol is not reccommended too consume, but is there a time you should wait -after- accutane treatment before it is ok for your body to intake alchohol?

From what i am experiencing, the red spots usually heal after some time. Depends on individuals and how serious it is. As for me it took damn long for it to heal. Cos now my acne skin is very severe that several red marks are all over my face. And my dermatologist told me that it will take half a year to actually heal. And i have several deep scars occuring. and these scars i dun think it will be banish even after taking occutane. Sorry to say this, dun intend to depress you but i believe that the scars wont fade off easily but time will heal. Although i dun think it will vanish totally, but at least hopefully it wont be that obvious cos i think theres some scars treatment available though its very ex but i intend to save up money and go for it. So think positively. eusa_angel.gif

i drink an awful lot on accutane, i probably shouldnt but i really cant help it. smile.gif

can you blame me though?

re: long term maintenance -- I took a 1mg/kg dose and was having a terrible reaction (that caused scarring -- which my acne never caused despite having cystic acne since age 11), so my MD lowered the dose to .5mg/kg. Still, scarring. By the third month my old skin "shedded" like s snake's and revealed decent skin (albeit with some scarring now, which is distressing). Within one month of discontinuing Accutane, my skin began getting oily again -- by month 8 my skin was bad enough to go back on. By this time, I had done research into what other countries are doing (countries that aren't so litgious towards the healthcare industry. Countries that actually properly prescribe Accutane to women -- I hope y'all know that men are prescribed Accutane far more than women in the U.S.). Many of the research I uncovered said women with acne past the age of 25 often have it till their 40s or later (that is, it's a chronic condition), and to maintain them on 20mg twice/week. I had 40mg capsules, so I did 40mg once a week. After having cystic acne for 20 years, my skin was pristine. I was fortunate to be dating a physician to get the prescription this way. If I recall correctly New Zealand had a good web page about long term use at such a low dose on their public health site (good lay info -- for hardcore journal articles you'll probably have to hit a medical search engine or a medical library). A friend was put on a so-called maintenance dose of 40mg/day for 2 years by US MD - -couldn't believe it, she probably would have been fine with once a week as well (she has permament eye problems). I also recently met someone that never took the high dose that causes scarring and uncomfortable drying (lucky her) -- she started at 10mg/d, and is now titrating down. Roche and NIH will probably never pay to do a study to see if super-low dose maintenance is a good regimen -- I work in pharmaceuticals and could go into how they are approved, how proper doses are determined, etc but it's a long story. Fortunately we don't need their help, as other countries are doing just fine with the research. One last thing (non-Accutane related) -- my endocrinologist said some women get cyproterone from Europe -- she said it's much more effective than aldactone.

beauty -- if you used brand name (or different generic) the first time you were on Accutance and didn't have these problems, then go back to what you took the first time (at the same or lower dose). If you were on the same brand: it is possible that you can develop an allergy to something you've been exposed to for years and years (if it turns out you do indeed have an allergy or sensitivity reaction). One test is to take an antihistamine and see if it help -- if it does, you might have an allergy (though sometimes antihistamines decrease inflammation w/o the presence of an allergen simply because blocking histamine decreases redness/swelling from other causes sometimes). Of course run all of this by your MD. BTW, I don't know what your symptoms are, but your pharmacist is wrong to say the allergy must be from something topical just because it appears on your skin. It may turn out to be something topical causing it in your case, but plenty of people have skin reactions to ingested food/meds (think hives, swelling, etc). But to be on the safe side, if you recently bought new soap etc go back to the old. Also tell your MD if you started any new meds. Advil, for instance, can cause facial swelling.

Polar419, I was told the same thing by my doctor that accutane would help my red marks, and it has. I haven't even been on accutane for a full month and my red marks have lightened up. Mine weren't horrible but they were bad, and it affected me everyday I hated to see my face, I would try to concel them with a lot of make up. And now I almost never wear make up. So don't listen to these people who say it doesn't help the red marks cause it does, so keep up with the regimin your doc gives you and good luck!

Thanks zuzygue, I belive our doctors do know whats best for our skin. I am on my second week today and I think, aside from my minor breakout, that my redmarks have already decreased a bit. Oh, and if you ever do feel like you need to wear makeup again, you should really try bareminerals. It is the best makeup I've ever used and it looks and feels like you're wearing nothing! and its really good for your skin too! truly truly amazing...

I think it would be a good idea to pin this mods as it is asked all the time. This is for people who want to know about 'generic' brands of accutane and if they are different. See the last question for a quick answer.

What is the difference between Roaccutane and Accutane?

Nothing. Both are made by Roche pharmaceuticals. Accutane is the name used inside the USA, and Roaccutane is the name used in the rest of the world.

What are the brand names of generic accutane (isotretinoin)?

Generic accutane is sold as:

Sotret

Isohexal

Oratane

Accure

Isotrex

Amnesteem

Claravis

and other names, the key is to look for the active ingredient 'Isotretinoin'.

This is confusing, why are there so many brand names?

Once 20 years have passed on a drug patent (Isotretinoin was patented in the early 80's) the patents expire. This happened to accutane and now lots of generic manufacturers want to make money from it. These brands are cheaper in order to compete with the original maker.

So what is the difference between accutane (or roaccutane) and generic brands?

All contain the active ingredient isotretinoin. All are subject to the same safety checks (as long as you buy them within the same country, different countries will have different rules, so don't buy it over the net). Theoretically they will have exactly the same effects on the body (the other ingredients do nothing except to contain the drug and break down to release it). The only real difference is that the generics are cheaper. You also may not be entitled to support from Roche if you need it, but this isn't really a big deal.

Based on my own reading and opinions of two derms, I disagree that the brand name and generics will have the same effect on everyone. Both have told me their patients have been more prone to side effects when using a generic than the brand and urge using the brand whenever possible. Both have also told me that those on the generics are more likely to need a repeat course and if that happens, will only allow the patient to use the brand.

As I mentioned in another thread, one of these derms is widely recognized for her research and teaches at Tulane University's medical school. I have to give some creed to her opinions as she is so often consulted on this issue.

It isn't possible though. I don't see how something with exactly the same ingredient, and exactly the same amount of that ingredient, could possibly have a different effect on someone.

It isn't possible though. I don't see how something with exactly the same ingredient, and exactly the same amount of that ingredient, could possibly have a different effect on someone.

In theory they should not.

But I think some derms feel the generic companies do not have the expertise to produce a pill the way the original compony did. I also do not think the generic companies do any clinical studies of thier own, only trials done were by Roche and every thing is based of that.

They might manage to get the said amount of isotretinoin in the pill, but who knows if they could put it in such a way that it gets absorbed in the body at the same amount, uniform rate etc as the main drug does.

I personally would rather go with the generics since they are cheaper, but just thought I will post this as some of possible reasons why some derms still feel strongly that brand is better than generics...

Always kill the sniper first

Hey

hope this clears things up

i went to my derm last month and i changed from roche to amnesteen, i asked what is differnet she said they have to use 70% the same ingredients and then the others can be different "fillers"

she siad it may cause a difference, but probably not but she will only prescribe amnesteen...

mitch

Yeah, those are the inactive ingredients that break down to release the drug.

I don't know, I just very much doubt that there would be any real noticeable difference between generics and the real thing.

My derm told me to go generic as they are the same and the “filler� may be different but the drug that matters the Isotretinoin is all the same and that is what matters. I do not know where she went to school, and I really don’t care what accreditations she may have and my pharmacist also told me that the generic is the same. I am not a doctor so I will continue to follow their advise and take the Claravis and save myself nearly $300 a month by getting the generic, I use other items that are generic including prescriptions and even the milk in my fridge.

Thanks for the great tips Gettingthere!

Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way!

~ Cassadie

Hey

hope this clears things up

i went to my derm last month and i changed from roche to amnesteen, i asked what is differnet she said they have to use 70% the same ingredients and then the others can be different "fillers"

she siad it may cause a difference, but probably not but she will only prescribe amnesteen...

mitch

If I understand your post, then that matches what the two derms have told me - if you must have a generic, get Amnesteem. I accidently got Claravis in month two and my doctor made sure this time he wrote it for Amnesteem.

My friend took the generic Claravis and her skin cleared up beautifully...six months later and i havent seen a pimple on her face

My cousin took Accutane and within a few months she began breaking out again..

Im not saying that the generics are better then the brand at all...im just saying that i think you can get the same results...i think it just depends on your particular skin...because all of the drugs do the same thing so it really doesnt matter which you choose or how much you spend...

1 person likes this

Once people see you one way

your never going to change their minds...

I am who I am

and I have to live with that...

I'm taking sotret...at first I was scared that it might not have the same effect as accutane, because that was the generic kind...but I was told that it was the same thing...you can still possibly die...no I'm just playing...but their no difference..its just cheaper wink.gif

Sh*t happens....especially 2 me!

Generic brands don't do any advertizing, and they also don't give your doctors perks for prescribing their product. Drug companies track this stuff, and doctors can get free stuff, including family vacations, if they prescribe the name brands. Of course, why not prescribe them then? Insurance companies pay for it, right? Well, no, we all pay for it. And not everyone has great insurance.

On the bottom of your prescription form you will notice a "will accept substitutes" box (or something to that effect). If your MD isn't checking that box, they are intentionally trying to earn their "frequent flyer miles" with the drug company (not just from Roche, but from all drug companies).

And if your MD is still pretending that there is a difference based on anectdotal bull shit, they aren't the trained scientists you are paying to see, and I'd go see another doctor. Credentials don't make them care about your bottom line - quite the opposite I think.

Generic brands don't do any advertizing, and they also don't give your doctors perks for prescribing their product.  Drug companies track this stuff, and doctors can get free stuff, including family vacations, if they prescribe the name brands.  Of course, why not prescribe them then?  Insurance companies pay for it, right?  Well, no, we all pay for it.  And not everyone has great insurance.

On the bottom of your prescription form you will notice a "will accept substitutes" box (or something to that effect).  If your MD isn't checking that box, they are intentionally trying to earn their "frequent flyer miles" with the drug company (not just from Roche, but from all drug companies).

And if your MD is still pretending that there is a difference based on anectdotal bull shit, they aren't the trained scientists you are paying to see, and I'd go see another doctor.  Credentials don't make them care about your bottom line - quite the opposite I think.

those "perks" you speak of are illegal. My bro is a drug rep for Merck Pharm. and I asked him about those. After GlaskoSmithKline (GSK) got sued big time for about...10 million dollars, every pharm company is on serious watch. Dr's prescribe what is necessary to make somone healthy, when you go and ask for "accutane" and get a prescription for "accutane" its not because of Roche paying them off. Next time you go see a Dr. ask for the generic brand of what you need. "Sotret" or any other shit, I'm sure she will be glad to write you the prescription for what you asked for.

Does anyone know if Shrimps are high in vitamin A and can affect you? I RARELy if EVER eat shrimps and Monday night I ate alot of them as im on the abs diet and my sister cooked some with steamed spinah and brocoli. Well the same nigh my head was hurting a bit. I didnt think much of it. Untill the nextday my god I felt bad so I went on with erands, post office, pick up my car from the shop blood test (accutane) and when I came home I felt horrible like I had the fever plus I was sore from working out the day before. I dont know if it was the shrimp but I took some Ibiprofin (sp?)lol anyways I feel alot better TODAY but I felt like total crap yesterday so weird how the body works.