67 replies to this topic

#61 cupojoe

cupojoe

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(~Wolfy~ @ Jan 16 2007, 10:04 AM) View Post
Safe, yes. Worth using BP at the same time? Probably not. The blue light does the same thing that BP does, except without dryness or peeling, and it's a lot less messy.~~~~

lol.gif I have to sit in front of a computer monitor for 8 - 20 (at worst) hours a day and I can promise you that no amount of exposure has helped my acne from that. In fact, it has probably made things worse since my eyes look dark and tired from having to stare at the screen so long! eusa_shifty.gif

#62 temp123

temp123

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

Which bit of: "You need *really* almost stupidly bright blue/red lights for this to work. To get intense enough light you need to buy special lamps." didn't you understand?
-Temp123

Using a combination of topical ibuprofen (5% sports gel) on face together with 10% tea tree cream. The combo works really well, excellent clearance, invisible, no bleaching, zero irritation, no dry skin, just smooth, (mostly) clear skin.

Topical ibuprofen is available in supermarkets in the UK (own brands are cheapest).

#63 silvershields

silvershields

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

I just got the red and blue light bulbs from Sci Art about 2 weeks ago. I've used the blue light and red light every night (alternating blue/red) and so far I've seen no real improvement. The way my skin is, sometimes I go several days with clear skin and then one day I get 4 or 5 spots and my scars are exacerbated (or seem to be) and it lasts for several days. I am still experiencing this. I know I'm supposed to do this 12 weeks, which I will, I just want to make sure this is normal. I heard after 2 weeks there was supposed to be some improvement and there isn't.

After reading some of the posts, I've gathered that some of you recommend using red and blue at the same time, but my dermatologist said you can't do blue and red at the same time b/c they cancel each other out. I was scheduled to do the $1000 light therapy but quit after the first time b/c I didn't want to shell out the cash. I also hold my lamp above my head when I'm lying on my back (the way it's done at the doctors'). Does the positioning of the light have any affect?

Also, will the light therapy affect any dietary influence on my acne. I know most people reject the belief that chocolate or sweets cause acne, but I swear I see a correlation between any sort of milk-based produce and acne. It may be the natural cycle my skin goes through, but I'm usually careful anyway. Do I need to continue to be careful or eat freely after using the light therapy. Thanks.

#64 Wil Weezy

Wil Weezy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

Can u still ise BP and antibiotics or some other kind of acne treatment when ur on this lamp treatment?

#65 kkass

kkass

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:48 PM

So would this just not work?

http://www.lightstim...iacnelight.html

The Anti-Acne Lightâ„¢ mixes medical-grade, blue LED bulbs along with red and infrared LED bulbs. There are a total of 72 high-grade, high-output individual bulbs of varying wavelengths between 450nm and 1000nm.

#66 Techguy

Techguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:42 AM

I seriously doubt that it will work. It doesn't even claim to have output in the critical 410-425nm range.

Even if it had the right wavelengths to kill the acne bacteria (and it does NOT) it is a very low power unit. They claim a total output of 9,360mW, but with only 72 LEDs it appears that they are quoting the total input electrical power to the LEDs, not their optical output power*. Since most LEDs are only around 10% efficient he latter is about 1/10th as much, which is way too low to be effective.

*Other 60-100 LED units that I have researched consume around 9watts and output ~.9w, which matches my assumptions about this unit.

#67 kkass

kkass

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:20 AM

Thank you for your reply. Do you think this might worth the price? It seems to fit within the range but it's awfully expensive. I don't break out that much but when I do I end up with a big red mark on my face that takes forever to fade, and I'm sick of wasting my money on lotions that don't work.

I just read that the unit is the pro version, but I read that they're gonna have a consumer version with similar specifications for a fraction of the price.

#68 SeanJ

SeanJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:43 PM

I found this one. Its called Caribbean Sun Box and it has a blue wavelength of 415 and a red of 660, someone please check it out and give me your feedback. I want to spend no more then $200 for one and this one seems to be just right
http://www.caribbean..._sun_box_rb.htm

also, i have seen many reviews on this one, it seems to be more popular and the perfect amount of uv light, but it doesnt have red light and costs a little over $200
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

#69 iceboi

iceboi

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:35 PM

I'm saving up to get the Baby Quasar it's about $400 but well worth it it comes with full guarantee and warranty.Also CSR is amazing!!

#70 SeanJ

SeanJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE(iceboi @ Nov 15 2007, 03:35 PM) View Post
I'm saving up to get the Baby Quasar it's about $400 but well worth it it comes with full guarantee and warranty.Also CSR is amazing!!

what is CSR?

#71 Techguy

Techguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:54 PM

The Quasar appears to have less optical output power than competitors and cost WAY more. 24 to 30 small form-factor LEDs just cannot produce that much output. Until I see a verfied spec that shows at least 1,000mw output (at the proper wavelengths) I wouldn't consider spending any serious money on an LED unit. Also 1,000wm of power shouldn't cost over about $200 to make sense. For example the enLUX ultra-powerful LED assy from Sci-art-global.com has about that level of output for about $130. Fluorescent units provide even more output and cost around $200-300 (but are a little harder to get focused on the small area of interest).

Keep in mind that for both LEDs and fluorescents, the output power is about 10% of the input power. Don't allow someone to misquote one as the other. (I called the Quasar folks and they were evasive about output power specs.)

BTW, my comments about power apply to the Caribbean Sun Box as well. In their case they have more LEDs (~100), but suffer the focusing challenges of a fluorescent, due to the sparse layout. Looking at the layout of the CSB, I'd be tempted to go with the Beautyskin or other flourescent units that use multiple fluorescent tubes totalling 50-100 watts of input power, resulting in 5-10 watts of output. That's way more than the CSB.

QUOTE(kkass @ Nov 6 2007, 03:20 AM) View Post
Thank you for your reply. Do you think this might worth the price? It seems to fit within the range but it's awfully expensive. I don't break out that much but when I do I end up with a big red mark on my face that takes forever to fade, and I'm sick of wasting my money on lotions that don't work.

I just read that the unit is the pro version, but I read that they're gonna have a consumer version with similar specifications for a fraction of the price.

#72 xcorex

xcorex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:17 PM

Can you use the light treatment and still stay on a topical medication?

#73 blacksheiladog

blacksheiladog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(xcorex @ Nov 16 2007, 05:17 PM) View Post
Can you use the light treatment and still stay on a topical medication?

yes, because usually you want to do the light treatment just after washing, but before applying any topicals. Unless you are using something that makes your face light sensitive, there should be no issue. But the light treatments work best when the face is completely clean and no creams or other topicals to inhibit the light.

#74 xcorex

xcorex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:22 PM

Thanks!

I use retin-a micro, which makes you sun-sensitive, but i've never heard of it being affected by light in general.

#75 SeanJ

SeanJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Techguy @ Nov 16 2007, 11:54 AM) View Post
The Quasar appears to have less optical output power than competitors and cost WAY more. 24 to 30 small form-factor LEDs just cannot produce that much output. Until I see a verfied spec that shows at least 1,000mw output (at the proper wavelengths) I wouldn't consider spending any serious money on an LED unit. Also 1,000wm of power shouldn't cost over about $200 to make sense. For example the enLUX ultra-powerful LED assy from Sci-art-global.com has about that level of output for about $130. Fluorescent units provide even more output and cost around $200-300 (but are a little harder to get focused on the small area of interest).

Keep in mind that for both LEDs and fluorescents, the output power is about 10% of the input power. Don't allow someone to misquote one as the other. (I called the Quasar folks and they were evasive about output power specs.)

BTW, my comments about power apply to the Caribbean Sun Box as well. In their case they have more LEDs (~100), but suffer the focusing challenges of a fluorescent, due to the sparse layout. Looking at the layout of the CSB, I'd be tempted to go with the Beautyskin or other flourescent units that use multiple fluorescent tubes totalling 50-100 watts of input power, resulting in 5-10 watts of output. That's way more than the CSB.

Hey techguy, i hear what your saying, but the Beautyskin is almost double the price of the Caribbean sun box (almost $200 more) Do you honestly think its worth spending almost double the price? Is there anything else i can buy for around $200 thats more effective then the Caribbean sun box?

#76 iceboi

iceboi

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

Best bet is to go with the Enlux Bulbs you can read on the topics below!! They have the Blue one package for $129 and you can add a red light one for $90 or something you decide!!

Best thing is after an amount of time of usage you don't see results you can return for a full refund minus shipping so check that out!!

#77 SeanJ

SeanJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2007 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE(iceboi @ Nov 17 2007, 09:13 PM) View Post
Best bet is to go with the Enlux Bulbs you can read on the topics below!! They have the Blue one package for $129 and you can add a red light one for $90 or something you decide!!

Best thing is after an amount of time of usage you don't see results you can return for a full refund minus shipping so check that out!!

I have read every single one of these posts, been on all of enlux's websites but i still dont understand which one to buy. And if i buy the bulbs what kind of ficture to i plug the bulb into, and the enlux's i have seen have all been for flood lighting and outdoor lighting. Can someone give me a direct link to which one i should buy?
Plus all the enlux bulbs i have seen have been at 460nm isnt it suppost to be at 415? Thanks

#78 xcorex

xcorex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:49 PM

Might as well post it here, since no one's replyed to the other thread:

have a dermatologist appointment on the 28th, and am considering some form of laser/red+blue light therapy, as i'd much rather not have to perscribe to a new medication (currently on Retin-A Micro) and risk an initial break-out.

My problem isn't full-blown acne, my skin complexion is VERY uneven, my natural skin is pale and my cheeks are extremely red. So something just to even my complexion out would be enough. Is there a specific type of laser therapy you'd recommend, and how much do standard blue/red light or laser therapy treatments in general cost?

#79 Techguy

Techguy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

For all of you who are asking about what light source to use, there is a separate topic thread on this site titled, "Internet alternatives to Expensive Clearlight treatments - sources on the internet for 420 nm lights", that while long, has a number of suggested less-expensive alternatives.
See, acne.org/messageboard/Internet-...ts-t172034.html

A few points contained in that thread:

1.The enLUX light that outputs 420nm is available solely through a customer of theirs, Sci-Art-Global.com
(more specifically through Sci-Art's new acne site, intelligentacnetreatment.com/)

I've spoken to the owner, who is very nice but not deeply knowledgeable about the technology or science; her background is as an artist trained in artistic use of color, who developed an interest in color therapy and found that it help her personally with some condition. The blue enLUX bulb they stock is the proper 415nm wavelength, but has a very wide (80-degree) flood beam pattern. I have tried to convince them to stock the narrower 40-degree spot version, as I believe it will focus the light more intensely on one's face without having to position it ultra-close (few inches for the exisiting flood version). Don't hold your breath for them to stock the spot version, so if you want an LED unit, the exisiting flood might be a good choice. Either style screws into a standard light fixture, but must not be enclosed in any way, so that it can get enough air to stay cool.

2. There is a supplier from China (www.YesLED.com) who sells a similar but less powerful and less sophisticated bulb for $10 ea with a minimum 10-piece order. I have not verified the accuracy of any claims.

3. There's the 27w 420nm fluorescents on eBay listed by a seller named "meraman" for ~$100 to ~$200. (Search for "Acne Treatment FDA APPROvED Blue Light Therapy No chem"). Forum members have discussed it at great length.

4. There are various discussions (some by me) of using 420 "Actinic" aquarium fluorescents. I bought a great fixture for $35 on Craigslist and put two new 36w bulbs in it for another $35 (from SeaCorals.com). That gave me 72w for $70. SeaCorals.com also sells a mini 18w fixture with one 420nm and one white bulb for $24.99. A second blue 420nm bulb costs $4.99. That's 18w of the right wavelength for $30.00 Two of those mounted at an angle (one towards each side of the face) should work but somewhat slower than a BeautySkin or the 6-tube $250 Naturebright. Again, discussed in the forum thread.

I also found a supplier of kits at ahsupply.com/index.html. The dual-36w unit for example, ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm ends up a little below $150 for a lot of light. Cost is $69.99 for the fixture innards (#30362)plus $31.98 for two bulbs (#11369) plus $41.99 for an enclosure (#52363)

I believe all this is discussed in various parts of the thread I listed at the top of this post.

P.S. Someone complained that the BeautySkin is $200 more than the price of the Carribean Sun Box. The Beautyskineusa.com price is currently $270, which is only $75 over the CSB-Blue. Also the Naturebright.com light is a 6-tube unit for $250. Both should give much more 420nm light than the Carribean Sun Box.

#80 acneblue

acneblue

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

although phototherapy is good. it does not blackhead formation at all sad.gif

http://www.acnetreatmentlab.com acne treatment information and homemade acne treatments backed by scientific studies