Blue/red light faq

zinc red mark

This topic is in the process of being archived.
240 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:10 AM

Nah, one of the guys here got one and apparently they're shipping enlux bulbs at 470 nm and I'm quite sure that those LEDs don't emit any 405-420 nm at all. I'm not quite sure what the correct phrase for that kind of behaviour would be. 'Unethical' is probably the mildest. 'deceptive'. Possibly legally actionable.

The dichroics they ship do emit some 405-420nm, but not a lot. And the dichroics do apparently work; a few people here have reported good results- my suspicion is that it's not due to the small amount of 405-420 nm they emit though it might be they're doing the same as the red bulbs and giving an anti-inflammatory effect.

#42 Beaker

Beaker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for the info, Im gonna get a Beauty skin as it seems the best value (in the UK) and more convenient.

#43 hhughes

hhughes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

Im the guy Wolfy is talking about.

I have had extensive conversations with EnLux the manufacturer and the provider of the bulbs to SciArt.

They do not contain the wavelengths they specified on their website. the lowest the blue goes is about 463 and the red is way off... but i hear that the red wl doesnt matter as much as the blue.

SciArt has told me about testimonials they have recieved from people with the 470nm bulbs... people say it is working... but I just dont buy the hype... there could be a million reasons why the bulbs are working... maybe the person is still using BP or switched cleansers.... maybe they are spending more time in the sun b/c it is nice out. Dont buy into the hype. I doubt a 470nm LED bulb has much effect at all.

I just spoke with the owner of SciArt last week.... well, to be more precise... she called me.

Needless to say.... the 415nm lights.... i am supposed to have within a week.

we'll see.

I recommend holding off on buying any SciArt stuff for now. Let me get the new bulbs in... I'll create a new thread... you can check my progress... then make your own decision.

#44 BLueLEDs

BLueLEDs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:40 PM

Hi,
I've never posted before but this topic caught my eye because last year I built myself an LED array from LEDs measured to reach 420 nm.

The reason I built one was after I read the British Journal of Dermatology study on blue light therapy I went to a dermatologist. For $500 I had ten, 16 minute sessions in front of a glorified tanning lamp. I felt there was improvement but it seemed ridiculous to me to keep spending that kind of money when I could surely build my own. First I looked into converting an old tanning lamp with bulbs of the right wavelength(apparently there are some reptile heat lamps that light to 420 nm) but then I learned some companies were making LED devices. However not all of them stated the wavelength measurements and some stated readings of 470 nm, not 420 nm as the study indicated (I noticed HHughes posts about such devices).

So I found a distributor of 420 nm LEDs in the US and made an array of 100 LEDs to start. The color of the light is actually called "violet" by the manufacturer, rather than blue, and although I wear eye protection I think I need to enlarge the array to get more candlepower/lumens going.

Does anyone know what the luminous intensity, in candlepower or lumens, of the device that the researchers who published the study in the Brit. Journal of Derm. used? (My copy of the study is packed away for now which is why I'm asking.)

Thanks for your attention.

#45 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(BLueLEDs @ May 17 2007, 03:40 AM) View Post
Does anyone know what the luminous intensity, in candlepower or lumens, of the device that the researchers who published the study in the Brit. Journal of Derm. used? (My copy of the study is packed away for now which is why I'm asking.)

Thanks for your attention.

They used 320J/cm^2 total energy over 3 months@15 minutes a day. It's easy enough to work that out in W. IRC it was about 4mW.

Don't know what that would be in lumens. There's a messy equation, but it's too sensitive to conditions to get an accurate answer.

#46 Beaker

Beaker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:48 PM

Please can we have Acne Lamp, Beauty Skin, Dermalux etc in the treatment ratings bit " Light/Laser acne treatments" section on acne.org??

I have emailed a few times to suggest these but as yet haven't heard back sad.gif

thanks

#47 The Great Reizo

The Great Reizo

Andrew...The Android!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Buffy The Vampire Slayer, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Martial Arts and Military Tactics, Writing and Journalism, The Dictionary, Singing, Naked Mirror Dancing, Art, Computers, Video Games, Music Videos (Both viewing and making), Science, Metaphysics, Demonology, Religious Studies, Psychology and Daydreaming.<br /><br />Wanna know more? Hit me up and we'll talk!

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:13 AM

I am planning to get a skin culture peel to rid myself of my whiteheads induced by azalex and also the post inflammatory hyperpigmentation from doing retin a...when my skin is cleared from that procedure do you think the light treatments would break me out or not since they are already clear?

#48 christpunchers

christpunchers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:23 AM

Does the redlight/bluelight home lamps like beautyskin for example get rid of cystic acne? I have a few bumps underneath the skin, with no visible redness or pimple on the surface yet. Will the lamp help fix things up before the acne surfaces?

#49 EK1

EK1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:36 AM

Does the blue light make you get little tiny bumps on your skin? Would this be purging?
(i also used lime on my face yesterday so i cant tell what did it lol)

Should i be using the blue light then the red light, or is just the blue okay? (as ive read blue is more for acne and red is more for aging).

#50 dogluver323

dogluver323

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Playing with my dogs, spending time with family and friends, reading, watching TV, going to the movies, shopping.

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:05 AM

So I was looking at the different lights that were listed...and was thinking of getting the Nature Bright

http://www.naturebri..._care_lamp.html

It looks like the lamp comes 6 red bulbs and 6 blue bulbs. Does this mean I should alternate red, blue and get a mixture of the two colors, and use for 10-15 minutes per day?

I was considering getting the PDT at a dermatologist, and he told me that after the set of 4 treatments, many people go without breakouts for a long period of time, say even a few years. Is this possible? Or is that bogus? Because from what I read on using these lights at home, you have to continue treatment just like with BPO or other topicals. If it's bogus, then I would definitely go with the home lights instead of paying over $2k at the derm.

And how effective are the lights at fading scars? As effective as AHA or hydroquinone? I was considering the laser treatment in conjunction with the PDT, but it''s more than $1k extra.

And are the lights just as effective at minimizing oiliness, pore size, refining texture like my derm claimed his PDT therapy would be? The PDT he offered was used with Levulan, which supposedly "activates" the light to target the bacteria in the skin. Is there something similar I would need to put on my skin to help with the home light therapy? Or is that a myth?

Sorry, I have so many questions! Thanks!

#51 christpunchers

christpunchers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:03 AM

I dont know if anyone can answer this but Ive ran into the subject of blue light actually worsening cystic acne.... could be actually be true?

This is a quote from one of those sources:

"Does Blue Light Treatment work for everyone?
Blue light treatment has been shown to be very effective in treating mild to moderate cases, but it is not 100% effective for everyone. The majority of test subjects have shown a drastic decrease in acne over the period of a few weeks. A small number of people have little or no response to blue light treatment, and people with the most severe type of acne, nodules, can actually get worse. Nodules are large swelled cyst-like acne that are usually painful to the touch and take considerable time to go away. Although some people get nodules naturally, you can also get them from popping pimples and zits improperly, causing the infection to go deeper into the skin. So try to resist the temptation and give any treatment you try a chance to work."

And a short one from another website:

".......Compared with pretreatment, nodulocystic lesions tended to worsen despite treatment......"

#52 Guest_luckylotte_*

Guest_luckylotte_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:10 AM

I'm looking to buy one of these acne lamps. Although $150 are the price of some of them- is way too expensive. I'm looking to buying a cheaper one, where can I get one cheap but is just as good as the expensive ones?

Thanks.

#53 EK1

EK1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2007 - 05:34 PM

Wondering if anyone has noticed a decrease in oil production after using the blue light?

Also, if so, how long did it take for you to notice a change? (few treatments, weeks, months, etc.)

Thanks!

#54 iceboi

iceboi

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:59 AM

I found one on EBAY it's a hand held one and it has 4 operational lighting. Blue, Red, Green, And all 3 colors at once.

I may buy this one it's the cheapest i've seen and lots of people have been buying from this seller with Positive Reviews.

Although the Product is Made in China the cost is $69 and includes Free Shipping anywhere around the World

#55 202020

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2007 - 03:37 AM

Ive had the BeautySkin lamp for 10 weeks now which I purchased after having a course (twice a week for 4 weeks) of the omnilux blue. My skin is slightly better but Ive have not got the results that I have hoped for. Woke up this morning to a couple of very very sore spots along my jaw line! I am considering some form of laser or stronger chemical peel (I also have regular alpha-beta peels). Can anyone please advise me on my next best step?? Thanks.

#56 iceboi

iceboi

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:08 PM

is 414nmBlue Led light and 660nm red light any good?

This light system looks great:
http://www.tanda.com/index.asp

#57 louizey111

louizey111

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

iceboi, I had a look at the Tanda link above: ' In the comfort of your home, simply use the Tända Clear handheld device to deliver a precisely timed (3 minute) amount of blue light therapy to your skin". From the photograph the lamp/light area looks quite small so I reckon you would probably have to spend about 20-25 mins per session to cover the entire face with the blue light and then repeat for the red light? Up to an hour per day depending on the condition of your skin, does that sound right?

#58 iceboi

iceboi

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:07 PM

Yes it does!!Thanks Louisey for your input!!

Anyway I just saw the Tanda Selling at my local highend department store and had to splurge out the money on buying it. I'll let you all know the reviews in a month or so.....

#59 Guest_delta force operators_*

Guest_delta force operators_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:41 PM

how come not that much people use light treatment if it was so safer then bp and antibiotics??????

this site is mainly on the hollistic forum bp and prescription meds but why arnt that much memebers using the light?

#60 iceboi

iceboi

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:43 PM

I don't think the lights work for everyone also not alot of people want to fork out $200+ and up they rather spend in little amounts where it'll add up in the end. Also if you read the reviews some people just get clear from it or break out pretty bad so it really depends!!