Blue/red light faq

zinc red mark

This topic is in the process of being archived.
240 replies to this topic

#21 AliasJaneDoe

AliasJaneDoe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:41 PM

Are people still seeing good results from these? Which one should I buy? Do you need to order online, or do any stores carry them?

#22 christpunchers

christpunchers

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE(AliasJaneDoe @ Apr 19 2007, 11:41 PM) View Post
Are people still seeing good results from these? Which one should I buy? Do you need to order online, or do any stores carry them?

Yes Im very interested in these products, I would like to know which one is effective.

#23 Mikey06

Mikey06

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

On acnelamp.com they offer blue/red led mixed in one lamp. Do you think I would get the best of both worlds by using this(killing bacterial and helping the growth of new cells). Would it work just as good at killing bacteria as the all blue light lamp? I don't know much about light but it just seems like mixing the 2 might not be as effective but I could be wrong. Been thinking about making one my self. I was in 2 electronic classes in high school and we worked with leds all the time.

#24 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE(scarred12 @ Apr 2 2007, 05:53 AM) View Post
how does it work on red marks and broken cappilaries??

Good on red marks, they clear up much more quickly.

Broken capillaries they don't touch.

#25 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE(Mikey06 @ Apr 22 2007, 03:36 AM) View Post
On acnelamp.com they offer blue/red led mixed in one lamp. Do you think I would get the best of both worlds by using this(killing bacterial and helping the growth of new cells). Would it work just as good at killing bacteria as the all blue light lamp? I don't know much about light but it just seems like mixing the 2 might not be as effective but I could be wrong.

Mixing seems to work better in the studies, but the difference is only maybe 5-10% extra.

Been thinking about making one my self. I was in 2 electronic classes in high school and we worked with leds all the time.

The LEDs for this are a) ridiculously, super bright b) very specific frequencies for the blue (405-420nm, the nearer to 420nm the better, but any part of the spectrum above 420nm does nothing).

If you find a good source for the blue LEDs (which are the critical ones) then please let us all know.

#26 skinner05

skinner05

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:19 AM

Have been using the lamp which i bought from acnelamp.com for nearly 4 months now. I bought the all blue lamp and then also bought 3 red heads. For the first 3 months i did the rred in the morning and blue at night and didnt see much change until about 11 maybe even 12th week in. Since then i have switched to just doing the blue one night and the red the next as i felt like i was doing too much before and since then it has really improved and seems to be continuing to improve all the time. I would definately reccomend this, aslong as you have the patience to stick at it.

#27 alyssaanne

alyssaanne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

i've been searching all over the boards and i've seen people mention the verilux but not say they're buying it.

is it not as good as the others? anyone here using it?

#28 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(alyssaanne @ Apr 28 2007, 01:45 AM) View Post
i've been searching all over the boards and i've seen people mention the verilux but not say they're buying it.

Well, their competitor, acnelamp, analysed their bulbs and produced the following graph:

http://www.acnelamp....erilux_blue.png

I worked the numbers on that and calculated that you would need to use it 262 minutes a day to clear your acne in 3 months.

However, I don't entirely trust acnelamp on this; the way they measure stuff is a bit dodgy.

#29 alyssaanne

alyssaanne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE(~Wolfy~ @ Apr 27 2007, 07:31 PM) View Post
QUOTE(alyssaanne @ Apr 28 2007, 01:45 AM) View Post

Well, their competitor, acnelamp, analysed their bulbs and produced the following graph:

http://www.acnelamp....erilux_blue.png

I worked the numbers on that and calculated that you would need to use it 262 minutes a day to clear your acne in 3 months.

However, I don't entirely trust acnelamp on this; the way they measure stuff is a bit dodgy.

has anyone here tried it?

#30 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:17 PM

I don't know of anyone that has used it successfully or unsuccessfully.

#31 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 27 April 2007 - 10:39 PM

http://www.healthboa...p/t-139730.html

Progressmaker used it, apparently successfully. Unless he is astroturf or his acne just got better coincidentally, then verilux would appear to work.

#32 alyssaanne

alyssaanne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE(~Wolfy~ @ Apr 27 2007, 10:39 PM) View Post
http://www.healthboa...p/t-139730.html

Progressmaker used it, apparently successfully. Unless he is astroturf or his acne just got better coincidentally, then verilux would appear to work.

and which one are you using again? i've gone all through the boards and found that you have one thats working well, but can't seem to find exactly what it is?

#33 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

Beautyskin or dermalux seem to be working fairly well for people. I've got a dermalux.

#34 calla lily

calla lily

Stressed is just desserts spelled backward.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Cooking, illustrating, reading sci fi/fantasy, writing, ice skating<br /><br />Music: Depeche Mode, Yanni, Michael Buble

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

After your skin clears up using blue/red light treatment, would you still have to continue use of it every day?

#35 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(calla lily @ May 5 2007, 08:13 PM) View Post
After your skin clears up using blue/red light treatment, would you still have to continue use of it every day?

You can drop down to lower usage; but basically yes, it's like a massively less irritating form of BP or a side-effect free antibiotic.

#36 Beaker

Beaker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Is it the case that the Dr Chu study used alternating red and blue, apposed to red and blue at the same time?

Is it better to alternate them, I mean if they are mixed at the same time can they contradict / dilute each others affectiveness?

#37 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:30 AM

He used them at the same time. The lamp used was the Dermalux lamp (except the latest lamp had 6 bulbs rather than 4). The bulbs do alternate, blue. red blue red blue red, but that's just to make the coverage even.

They do entirely different things, the blue light kills P.Acnes, but the skin doesn't really notice the blue light at all; but it very much likes that the P.Acnes disappears. The red light does something anti-inflammatory to the skin.

#38 Beaker

Beaker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

I am debating whether to get the Beauty Skin or to get a red and blue Enlux LED lamp.

They will cost around the same if I take into account shipping and buying transformer to make the Enlux work in the UK.

I think maybe the Enlux will be stronger (work quicker?) but the Beauty Skin will be more convenient and allow me to do red and blue at the same time.

#39 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:33 AM

The only blue Enlux LED I know about runs at 470nm but the research says you need below 420 nm, so I have no idea how it could work.

I cannot recommend it in any way.

~415 nm is a deep violet BTW so you can tell which one you've got.

#40 Beaker

Beaker

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:48 AM

"The blue light contains the wavelengths 405-420nm. The red light contains the wavelength 660nm. "

http://www.sci-art-g...-our-lights.htm