Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Blue/red light faq

242 posts in this topic

So I was looking at the different lights that were listed...and was thinking of getting the Nature Bright

http://www.naturebright.com/products/skin_care_lamp.html

It looks like the lamp comes 6 red bulbs and 6 blue bulbs. Does this mean I should alternate red, blue and get a mixture of the two colors, and use for 10-15 minutes per day?

I was considering getting the PDT at a dermatologist, and he told me that after the set of 4 treatments, many people go without breakouts for a long period of time, say even a few years. Is this possible? Or is that bogus? Because from what I read on using these lights at home, you have to continue treatment just like with BPO or other topicals. If it's bogus, then I would definitely go with the home lights instead of paying over $2k at the derm.

And how effective are the lights at fading scars? As effective as AHA or hydroquinone? I was considering the laser treatment in conjunction with the PDT, but it''s more than $1k extra.

And are the lights just as effective at minimizing oiliness, pore size, refining texture like my derm claimed his PDT therapy would be? The PDT he offered was used with Levulan, which supposedly "activates" the light to target the bacteria in the skin. Is there something similar I would need to put on my skin to help with the home light therapy? Or is that a myth?

Sorry, I have so many questions! Thanks!

Regimen:

AM

Biore Pore Minimizing Cleanser or Cetaphil Cleanser for Normal to Oily Skin

Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner

Dan Kern's 2.5% BPO

L'Oreal Genesis SPF 15 moisturizer

PM

Biore Pore Minimizing Cleanser or Cetaphil Cleanser for Oily Skin

BPO scrub (custom made from Aesthetician)

MaMa lotion

Peter Thomas Roth Sulfur Cooling Mask twice a week - leave on for 45 minutes

Makeup

I alternate between the following, depending on the coverage I want:

Neutrogena Sheer Minerals Pressed Powder Foundation in Nude #40

Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Foundation in Medium Beige #2.5 + Mineral Veil

Dermacia Lycogel MD SPF 30 in Beige #4

Hormonal

Microgestin FE 1/20 daily

Supplements

One a Day multivitamin for women

Costco Kirkland Signature Enteric Coated Fish Oil 600 mg softgels - 2 per day

I dont know if anyone can answer this but Ive ran into the subject of blue light actually worsening cystic acne.... could be actually be true?

This is a quote from one of those sources:

"Does Blue Light Treatment work for everyone?

Blue light treatment has been shown to be very effective in treating mild to moderate cases, but it is not 100% effective for everyone. The majority of test subjects have shown a drastic decrease in acne over the period of a few weeks. A small number of people have little or no response to blue light treatment, and people with the most severe type of acne, nodules, can actually get worse. Nodules are large swelled cyst-like acne that are usually painful to the touch and take considerable time to go away. Although some people get nodules naturally, you can also get them from popping pimples and zits improperly, causing the infection to go deeper into the skin. So try to resist the temptation and give any treatment you try a chance to work."

And a short one from another website:

".......Compared with pretreatment, nodulocystic lesions tended to worsen despite treatment......"

I'm looking to buy one of these acne lamps. Although $150 are the price of some of them- is way too expensive. I'm looking to buying a cheaper one, where can I get one cheap but is just as good as the expensive ones?

Thanks.

Wondering if anyone has noticed a decrease in oil production after using the blue light?

Also, if so, how long did it take for you to notice a change? (few treatments, weeks, months, etc.)

Thanks!

I found one on EBAY it's a hand held one and it has 4 operational lighting. Blue, Red, Green, And all 3 colors at once.

I may buy this one it's the cheapest i've seen and lots of people have been buying from this seller with Positive Reviews.

Although the Product is Made in China the cost is $69 and includes Free Shipping anywhere around the World

Present Regimen:

Morning:

-Carley's Soap/Just Water

-Fruit of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel

-Everyday Minerals

Nighttime:

-Carley's Soap

-Carley's Treatment Scrub

-Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel

Bacne Treatment:St.Ives Apircot Scrub/Apircot Body Wash

Also substituting the FOTE Gel for the Forver Living Aloe First Spray sometimes.

Ive had the BeautySkin lamp for 10 weeks now which I purchased after having a course (twice a week for 4 weeks) of the omnilux blue. My skin is slightly better but Ive have not got the results that I have hoped for. Woke up this morning to a couple of very very sore spots along my jaw line! I am considering some form of laser or stronger chemical peel (I also have regular alpha-beta peels). Can anyone please advise me on my next best step?? Thanks.

is 414nmBlue Led light and 660nm red light any good?

This light system looks great:

http://www.tanda.com/index.asp

Present Regimen:

Morning:

-Everyday Minerals

Nighttime:

-Carley's Soap

Also substituting the FOTE Gel for the Forver Living Aloe First Spray sometimes.

iceboi, I had a look at the Tanda link above: ' In the comfort of your home, simply use the Tända Clear handheld device to deliver a precisely timed (3 minute) amount of blue light therapy to your skin". From the photograph the lamp/light area looks quite small so I reckon you would probably have to spend about 20-25 mins per session to cover the entire face with the blue light and then repeat for the red light? Up to an hour per day depending on the condition of your skin, does that sound right?

Yes it does!!Thanks Louisey for your input!!

Anyway I just saw the Tanda Selling at my local highend department store and had to splurge out the money on buying it. I'll let you all know the reviews in a month or so.....

Present Regimen:

Morning:

-Everyday Minerals

Nighttime:

-Carley's Soap

how come not that much people use light treatment if it was so safer then bp and antibiotics??????

this site is mainly on the hollistic forum bp and prescription meds but why arnt that much memebers using the light?

I don't think the lights work for everyone also not alot of people want to fork out $200+ and up they rather spend in little amounts where it'll add up in the end. Also if you read the reviews some people just get clear from it or break out pretty bad so it really depends!!

Present Regimen:

Morning:

-Everyday Minerals

Nighttime:

-Carley's Soap

Safe, yes. Worth using BP at the same time? Probably not. The blue light does the same thing that BP does, except without dryness or peeling, and it's a lot less messy.~~~~

:lol: I have to sit in front of a computer monitor for 8 - 20 (at worst) hours a day and I can promise you that no amount of exposure has helped my acne from that. In fact, it has probably made things worse since my eyes look dark and tired from having to stare at the screen so long! :shifty:

Which bit of: "You need *really* almost stupidly bright blue/red lights for this to work. To get intense enough light you need to buy special lamps." didn't you understand?

-Temp123

Using a combination of topical ibuprofen (5% sports gel) on face together with 10% tea tree cream. The combo works really well, excellent clearance, invisible, no bleaching, zero irritation, no dry skin, just smooth, (mostly) clear skin.

Topical ibuprofen is available in supermarkets in the UK (own brands are cheapest).

I just got the red and blue light bulbs from Sci Art about 2 weeks ago. I've used the blue light and red light every night (alternating blue/red) and so far I've seen no real improvement. The way my skin is, sometimes I go several days with clear skin and then one day I get 4 or 5 spots and my scars are exacerbated (or seem to be) and it lasts for several days. I am still experiencing this. I know I'm supposed to do this 12 weeks, which I will, I just want to make sure this is normal. I heard after 2 weeks there was supposed to be some improvement and there isn't.

After reading some of the posts, I've gathered that some of you recommend using red and blue at the same time, but my dermatologist said you can't do blue and red at the same time b/c they cancel each other out. I was scheduled to do the $1000 light therapy but quit after the first time b/c I didn't want to shell out the cash. I also hold my lamp above my head when I'm lying on my back (the way it's done at the doctors'). Does the positioning of the light have any affect?

Also, will the light therapy affect any dietary influence on my acne. I know most people reject the belief that chocolate or sweets cause acne, but I swear I see a correlation between any sort of milk-based produce and acne. It may be the natural cycle my skin goes through, but I'm usually careful anyway. Do I need to continue to be careful or eat freely after using the light therapy. Thanks.

I seriously doubt that it will work. It doesn't even claim to have output in the critical 410-425nm range.

Even if it had the right wavelengths to kill the acne bacteria (and it does NOT) it is a very low power unit. They claim a total output of 9,360mW, but with only 72 LEDs it appears that they are quoting the total input electrical power to the LEDs, not their optical output power*. Since most LEDs are only around 10% efficient he latter is about 1/10th as much, which is way too low to be effective.

*Other 60-100 LED units that I have researched consume around 9watts and output ~.9w, which matches my assumptions about this unit.

Thank you for your reply. Do you think this might worth the price? It seems to fit within the range but it's awfully expensive. I don't break out that much but when I do I end up with a big red mark on my face that takes forever to fade, and I'm sick of wasting my money on lotions that don't work.

I just read that the unit is the pro version, but I read that they're gonna have a consumer version with similar specifications for a fraction of the price.

I found this one. Its called Caribbean Sun Box and it has a blue wavelength of 415 and a red of 660, someone please check it out and give me your feedback. I want to spend no more then $200 for one and this one seems to be just right

http://www.caribbeansunbox.com/caribbean_sun_box_rb.htm

also, i have seen many reviews on this one, it seems to be more popular and the perfect amount of uv light, but it doesnt have red light and costs a little over $200

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acne-Treatment-FDA-APP...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

I'm saving up to get the Baby Quasar it's about $400 but well worth it it comes with full guarantee and warranty.Also CSR is amazing!!

Present Regimen:

Morning:

-Everyday Minerals

Nighttime:

-Carley's Soap

I'm saving up to get the Baby Quasar it's about $400 but well worth it it comes with full guarantee and warranty.Also CSR is amazing!!

what is CSR?

The Quasar appears to have less optical output power than competitors and cost WAY more. 24 to 30 small form-factor LEDs just cannot produce that much output. Until I see a verfied spec that shows at least 1,000mw output (at the proper wavelengths) I wouldn't consider spending any serious money on an LED unit. Also 1,000wm of power shouldn't cost over about $200 to make sense. For example the enLUX ultra-powerful LED assy from Sci-art-global.com has about that level of output for about $130. Fluorescent units provide even more output and cost around $200-300 (but are a little harder to get focused on the small area of interest).

Keep in mind that for both LEDs and fluorescents, the output power is about 10% of the input power. Don't allow someone to misquote one as the other. (I called the Quasar folks and they were evasive about output power specs.)

BTW, my comments about power apply to the Caribbean Sun Box as well. In their case they have more LEDs (~100), but suffer the focusing challenges of a fluorescent, due to the sparse layout. Looking at the layout of the CSB, I'd be tempted to go with the Beautyskin or other flourescent units that use multiple fluorescent tubes totalling 50-100 watts of input power, resulting in 5-10 watts of output. That's way more than the CSB.

Thank you for your reply. Do you think this might worth the price? It seems to fit within the range but it's awfully expensive. I don't break out that much but when I do I end up with a big red mark on my face that takes forever to fade, and I'm sick of wasting my money on lotions that don't work.

I just read that the unit is the pro version, but I read that they're gonna have a consumer version with similar specifications for a fraction of the price.

Can you use the light treatment and still stay on a topical medication?

yes, because usually you want to do the light treatment just after washing, but before applying any topicals. Unless you are using something that makes your face light sensitive, there should be no issue. But the light treatments work best when the face is completely clean and no creams or other topicals to inhibit the light.

Thanks!

I use retin-a micro, which makes you sun-sensitive, but i've never heard of it being affected by light in general.