Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ~Wolfy~

Blue/red light faq

242 posts in this topic

On acnelamp.com they offer blue/red led mixed in one lamp. Do you think I would get the best of both worlds by using this(killing bacterial and helping the growth of new cells). Would it work just as good at killing bacteria as the all blue light lamp? I don't know much about light but it just seems like mixing the 2 might not be as effective but I could be wrong.

Mixing seems to work better in the studies, but the difference is only maybe 5-10% extra.

Been thinking about making one my self. I was in 2 electronic classes in high school and we worked with leds all the time.

The LEDs for this are a) ridiculously, super bright b) very specific frequencies for the blue (405-420nm, the nearer to 420nm the better, but any part of the spectrum above 420nm does nothing).

If you find a good source for the blue LEDs (which are the critical ones) then please let us all know.

Have been using the lamp which i bought from acnelamp.com for nearly 4 months now. I bought the all blue lamp and then also bought 3 red heads. For the first 3 months i did the rred in the morning and blue at night and didnt see much change until about 11 maybe even 12th week in. Since then i have switched to just doing the blue one night and the red the next as i felt like i was doing too much before and since then it has really improved and seems to be continuing to improve all the time. I would definately reccomend this, aslong as you have the patience to stick at it.

i've been searching all over the boards and i've seen people mention the verilux but not say they're buying it.

is it not as good as the others? anyone here using it?

i've been searching all over the boards and i've seen people mention the verilux but not say they're buying it.

Well, their competitor, acnelamp, analysed their bulbs and produced the following graph:

http://www.acnelamp.com/images/verilux_blue.png

I worked the numbers on that and calculated that you would need to use it 262 minutes a day to clear your acne in 3 months.

However, I don't entirely trust acnelamp on this; the way they measure stuff is a bit dodgy.

Well, their competitor, acnelamp, analysed their bulbs and produced the following graph:

http://www.acnelamp.com/images/verilux_blue.png

I worked the numbers on that and calculated that you would need to use it 262 minutes a day to clear your acne in 3 months.

However, I don't entirely trust acnelamp on this; the way they measure stuff is a bit dodgy.

has anyone here tried it?

I don't know of anyone that has used it successfully or unsuccessfully.

Beautyskin or dermalux seem to be working fairly well for people. I've got a dermalux.

After your skin clears up using blue/red light treatment, would you still have to continue use of it every day?

After your skin clears up using blue/red light treatment, would you still have to continue use of it every day?

You can drop down to lower usage; but basically yes, it's like a massively less irritating form of BP or a side-effect free antibiotic.

Is it the case that the Dr Chu study used alternating red and blue, apposed to red and blue at the same time?

Is it better to alternate them, I mean if they are mixed at the same time can they contradict / dilute each others affectiveness?

He used them at the same time. The lamp used was the Dermalux lamp (except the latest lamp had 6 bulbs rather than 4). The bulbs do alternate, blue. red blue red blue red, but that's just to make the coverage even.

They do entirely different things, the blue light kills P.Acnes, but the skin doesn't really notice the blue light at all; but it very much likes that the P.Acnes disappears. The red light does something anti-inflammatory to the skin.

I am debating whether to get the Beauty Skin or to get a red and blue Enlux LED lamp.

They will cost around the same if I take into account shipping and buying transformer to make the Enlux work in the UK.

I think maybe the Enlux will be stronger (work quicker?) but the Beauty Skin will be more convenient and allow me to do red and blue at the same time.

The only blue Enlux LED I know about runs at 470nm but the research says you need below 420 nm, so I have no idea how it could work.

I cannot recommend it in any way.

~415 nm is a deep violet BTW so you can tell which one you've got.

Nah, one of the guys here got one and apparently they're shipping enlux bulbs at 470 nm and I'm quite sure that those LEDs don't emit any 405-420 nm at all. I'm not quite sure what the correct phrase for that kind of behaviour would be. 'Unethical' is probably the mildest. 'deceptive'. Possibly legally actionable.

The dichroics they ship do emit some 405-420nm, but not a lot. And the dichroics do apparently work; a few people here have reported good results- my suspicion is that it's not due to the small amount of 405-420 nm they emit though it might be they're doing the same as the red bulbs and giving an anti-inflammatory effect.

Thanks for the info, Im gonna get a Beauty skin as it seems the best value (in the UK) and more convenient.

Im the guy Wolfy is talking about.

I have had extensive conversations with EnLux the manufacturer and the provider of the bulbs to SciArt.

They do not contain the wavelengths they specified on their website. the lowest the blue goes is about 463 and the red is way off... but i hear that the red wl doesnt matter as much as the blue.

SciArt has told me about testimonials they have recieved from people with the 470nm bulbs... people say it is working... but I just dont buy the hype... there could be a million reasons why the bulbs are working... maybe the person is still using BP or switched cleansers.... maybe they are spending more time in the sun b/c it is nice out. Dont buy into the hype. I doubt a 470nm LED bulb has much effect at all.

I just spoke with the owner of SciArt last week.... well, to be more precise... she called me.

Needless to say.... the 415nm lights.... i am supposed to have within a week.

we'll see.

I recommend holding off on buying any SciArt stuff for now. Let me get the new bulbs in... I'll create a new thread... you can check my progress... then make your own decision.

Morning: 1. Cosmedicine Healthy Cleanse Foaming Cleanser & Toner In One 2. Cosmedicine Medi-Matte Oil Control Lotion SPF 20 3. Skinceuticals Serum 15 4. Skinceuticals Phyto + 5. Sunscreen if needed.

MidDay: 1. Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse 2. Cetaphil Cleanser 3. Skinceuticals Phyto + 4. MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cream Entire Face 5. 16 Minutes Blue and Red Light Treatment.

Night: 1. Cosmedicine Healthy Cleanse Foaming Cleanser & Toner In One 2. Retin-A micro 3. Phyto + 4. MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cream Entire Face

Extras: 1. Astara Blue Flame Purification Mask as desired 2. Astara Green Papaya Nutrient Mask as desired 3. Cellex-C Betaplex Clear Complexion Mask as desired 4. Skinceuticals Daily Moisture

Want: 1. Z. Bigatti Restoration Goodnight Cream

Hi,

I've never posted before but this topic caught my eye because last year I built myself an LED array from LEDs measured to reach 420 nm.

The reason I built one was after I read the British Journal of Dermatology study on blue light therapy I went to a dermatologist. For $500 I had ten, 16 minute sessions in front of a glorified tanning lamp. I felt there was improvement but it seemed ridiculous to me to keep spending that kind of money when I could surely build my own. First I looked into converting an old tanning lamp with bulbs of the right wavelength(apparently there are some reptile heat lamps that light to 420 nm) but then I learned some companies were making LED devices. However not all of them stated the wavelength measurements and some stated readings of 470 nm, not 420 nm as the study indicated (I noticed HHughes posts about such devices).

So I found a distributor of 420 nm LEDs in the US and made an array of 100 LEDs to start. The color of the light is actually called "violet" by the manufacturer, rather than blue, and although I wear eye protection I think I need to enlarge the array to get more candlepower/lumens going.

Does anyone know what the luminous intensity, in candlepower or lumens, of the device that the researchers who published the study in the Brit. Journal of Derm. used? (My copy of the study is packed away for now which is why I'm asking.)

Thanks for your attention.

Does anyone know what the luminous intensity, in candlepower or lumens, of the device that the researchers who published the study in the Brit. Journal of Derm. used? (My copy of the study is packed away for now which is why I'm asking.)

Thanks for your attention.

They used 320J/cm^2 total energy over 3 months@15 minutes a day. It's easy enough to work that out in W. IRC it was about 4mW.

Don't know what that would be in lumens. There's a messy equation, but it's too sensitive to conditions to get an accurate answer.

Please can we have Acne Lamp, Beauty Skin, Dermalux etc in the treatment ratings bit " Light/Laser acne treatments" section on acne.org??

I have emailed a few times to suggest these but as yet haven't heard back :(

thanks

I am planning to get a skin culture peel to rid myself of my whiteheads induced by azalex and also the post inflammatory hyperpigmentation from doing retin a...when my skin is cleared from that procedure do you think the light treatments would break me out or not since they are already clear?

Andrew's Current Diabolical Face Reality Regimen...

Bright and Early

-------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) Glycolic Acid Serum

5.) SPF 30 Sunscreen

Late and Horny

------------------

1.) BP 2.5% Scrub

2.) Ice Pack

3.) Salicylic Toner

4.) BP gel 5% (Vaseline on Friday)

PS I am selling my SciArt bulb and it is rated at 16,991/17,000 hours for 105$. Contact me if you're interested!

Does the redlight/bluelight home lamps like beautyskin for example get rid of cystic acne? I have a few bumps underneath the skin, with no visible redness or pimple on the surface yet. Will the lamp help fix things up before the acne surfaces?

Does the blue light make you get little tiny bumps on your skin? Would this be purging?

(i also used lime on my face yesterday so i cant tell what did it lol)

Should i be using the blue light then the red light, or is just the blue okay? (as ive read blue is more for acne and red is more for aging).