Blue/red light faq

zinc red mark

This topic is in the process of being archived.
240 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

What is it?

Blue/red light acne treatment is an acne treatment for mild/moderate acne where you shine bright 'blue' (actually it's violet) and red lights on your skin to prevent new acne spots. It's thought to be safe, and improves acne by ~75% for 80% of people over 3 months. Another 10% of people see some improvement. This is comparable or better to BP, and similar to other treatments like antibiotics.

The violet light kills a bacteria called P.Acnes- this is the bacteria that is killed by most acne treatment- removal of the bacteria greatly improves your skin and prevents most acne. The light activates a porphoryn in the bacteria that isn't present in human skin, and the bacteria cooks itself.

The red light is anti-inflammatory and improves healing and increases the rate of production of collagen (giving a handy gentle facelift/antiwrinkling effect that lasts as long as you keep treating). Skin tone ends up better than normal on this treatment, a nice side-effect. It also helps heal up red marks; >10% or more faster.

Does it work?

For pictures see: (managing director of Androv); he got pretty good clearance.

also http://www.caci.co.n...rary/100060.pdf (they're a couple of people who have had only violet light treatment- blue/red light treatment gives slightly better clearance and results.)

There's been one major published study in the UK:

http://www.wasauna.c...ght/journal.pdf

This involved 120 people using the light everyday, at home. Also, quite a few people have tried this form of treatment to good success. Yes, it really works.

That study used fluorescent tubes, but LEDs seem to work just as well: LED study.
Also other studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum and http://www.ncbi.nlm....l=pubmed_docsum

How do I get this treatment?

You need *really* almost stupidly bright blue/red lights for this to work. To get intense enough light you need to buy special lamps. Or you could go to a dermatologist, but I do not recommend that, it's nearly always much more expensive, awkward to travel to, and works less well. Plus if you buy the lamps you can use them for years, for little or no extra cost. If your acne improves you can sell them on ebay or something.

Any of these products will probably work (note: light is light, don't expect expensive ones to work any better, they won't)

BeautySkin
http://www.acnelamp.com/
http://www.acnestar.co.uk/
http://www.lumiport.com
http://www.naturebri..._care_lamp.html
Verilux happyskin acne light

The more powerful the lights are, the less time you need to spend treating, but your acne won't be any better or worse.

n.b. small handheld LED lights that only cover a small area mean you can spend ages treating; I think most people are better off with lamps that can cover a large area.

Also:

http://www.kaliszinc...e_treatment.htm
(Sci/Art Lamps- or it's cheaper to just buy the dichroic bulbs and holders: http://www.acne.org/...p...5113&st=77))

They sell dichroic lamps these seem to work, or at least a few people here have claimed that they did.

They also ship LED lamps. But the LEDs that have been shipped are a deep blue, at 470nm. These should not work since it is incapable of killing the acne bacteria. The colour that works is a deep violet colour at 405-420nm; 470nm is too far off. They claim that they will be shipping a violet lamp later on, but until they do, avoid this type at all costs.

How quickly does it work?

You'll see some improvement in a few days; that's mainly the red light acting. However the violet light will kill the P.Acnes almost completely in the first few days or so.

It will then take a good 12 weeks for the pores to completely unblock themselves and the skin to grow and the red marks to fade. In the meantime you will continue to get acne; but at an ever slowing rate. Most people don't notice any effect for the first 6 weeks, because normal variation in acne covers the effect. Some people don't get good clearance till the 12th week. Under no circumstances give up!

How long should I use the lights for?

You should follow the instructions. Some people find that using the lights slightly less than indicated gives better results (e.g. 10 minutes instead of 15). It seems to be a bad idea to use the lights longer than the manufacturer says, it tends to irritate the skin slightly and if anything causes more acne.

You should use the lights once a day (everyday!) You can however use the lights up to twice a day. So, if you miss a day, you can top up with two treatments, several hours apart the following day. Try to average 7 treatments a week.

Once your acne clears, as with benzoyl peroxide or antibiotics you need to keep using the lamp at least a few times a week.

Is it safe?

None of these lamps produce dangerous amounts of ultraviolet. Scientific experiments indicate that neither blue nor red light causes cancer.

There is a report that some of the lamps might cause a slight tan in asian or mexican people. The fluorescent lamps produce small amounts of UV-A (about the same amount per day as standing outside in the sun for 1 minute). If that's a concern, choose one of the non fluorescent lamps.

It is very important to keep the violet light out of your eyes. It's thought that normal blue light even in sunlight gradually damages the retina, so 100% protection against the blue light is essential. Closing your eyes is probably not sufficient. The lamps generally come with goggles, but at a pinch painting some swimming goggles or wrap them in aluminium foil would be good.

It's really expensive isn't it?

No, it's cheaper than benzoyl peroxide including the washes and moisturisers you need to use for that.

Sure, if you were to go to a dermatologist to have blue/red treatment, then yes it's often really expensive.

But if you buy your lamp, it's reasonably cheap. If you add up the cost of BP, moisturisers and cleansers over a couple of years you will find it comes to more than the cost of the lamps, particularly the cheaper lamps.

Who has used it on Acne.org?

Worked (i.e. >75% clearance):
biochembabe (Sci/art dichroic), wolfkeeper (dermalux), GTO, seamus (Sci/art dichroic), delboy, Locked In Grace, stanno(beautyskin), DeeAgony, Ronin (beautyskin), Rupert (dermalux)

At least some improvement (e.g. 50%):
don't look, timmytim, kanmi

Failed:
Posh, B24K, Le Chiffre (dermalux)

(Posh didn't follow the instructions correctly, and gave up early, but I've still counted it as a failure; B24K saw some improvement but not enough to justify further treatment).

Anything else I need to know?
You can use it with most other treatments, except Accutane. It's important that you face is clean when you use it though. It may be a useful adjunct to tetracycline antibiotics- these antibiotics are 'bacteriostatic' in other words they don't kill the bacteria they just hold it at bay; whereas this treatment kills them. So the combination is likely to be a good one.

Overtreating:

Some people with very sensitive skin seem to get a slight irritation/redness from their lights. This doesn't seem harmful, but indicates that they need to reduce the time. People that fail to reduce the time if this happens seem to get much less improvement. However even then the lights don't seem to be harmful- people have fallen asleep in front of their lamps for over an hour without anything really bad happening (i.e. no 'sunburn' or peeling,) but it's not a way to calm skin. Used sensibly blue/red light calms skin down and this seems to give less acne.

Particular products:

- I personally do not recommend buying a dermastyle pen; the beam is very narrow and the manufacturers make IMHO misleading claims as to its effectiveness (Chu's study says that it takes about 3 months to clear acne, NOT a few days- there is absolutely no evidence of any noticeable reduction in acne in his study results that quickly.) These blue/red light products largely prevent new acne in a region, and that's difficult with a pen-size treatment. It might work if you only have acne in very, very limited regions; but the vast majority of people's acne isn't like that.

- Dermalux lamps work (they're the same as Dr. Chu's study). The Beautyskin is basically the same product, and uses essentially the same kind of bulbs. You can even swap the bulbs between the units.

#2 Maver1ck

Maver1ck

Member+

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:46 PM

Great overview, thanks!

#3 Hultkrantz

Hultkrantz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:16 AM

If its the red light and the blue light that do the god. Then why not take a normal lamp and paint it halv blue and half red. It should have the same effect?

#4 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE(Hultkrantz @ Oct 4 2006, 04:16 PM) View Post

If its the red light and the blue light that do the god. Then why not take a normal lamp and paint it halv blue and half red. It should have the same effect?

No, not nearly bright enough; that would remove all the colours except the one you want, which would reduce the power of the lamp by maybe 50x or something; just not enough power left to work.

#5 bazookajoe

bazookajoe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:10 PM

i just ordered this one. I have mild/moderate acne, which worstens when winter kicks in. Antibiotics no longer work for me, so this is the next best bet.

http://www.veriluxst...s/clearwave.htm

I'll give any feedback after I have been using it for awhile.

#6 timmytim

timmytim

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:fighting acne!

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

it seems to me that all these desk top lamps are essentially the same. is that a correct assumption?

#7 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(timmytim @ Oct 30 2006, 07:56 PM) View Post

it seems to me that all these desk top lamps are essentially the same. is that a correct assumption?

So far as we know. Some of the brighter ones you don't need to use for as long though- it seems to be the total amount of light you get that is important in killing the acne bacteria. So if it is twice as intense you only need to use it for half the time.

In one study I read, their LED lamp was intense enough you only needed to it twice a week, and they got great results, but I don't know if you can buy that version.

#8 TenZin

TenZin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:photography, music, movies, tennis, golf, aspiring to getting wasted one day while partying on a beach

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:26 AM

great review. I'm hooked on trying one.

#9 kaybee

kaybee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2006 - 06:20 PM

Didn't work for me! You can add one there.

#10 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 03 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(kaybee @ Dec 4 2006, 12:20 AM) View Post

Didn't work for me! You can add one there.

What lamp did you have? How long did you use it for?

#11 the_se7en

the_se7en

NitroX

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Cars, Music, Computers... and plenty more!

Posted 20 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

I read that for 20% of the users, the acne gets worse?? Is this true? Why does it get worse???

#12 Lumiport

Lumiport

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2006 - 10:54 AM

Research shows that light therapy is not effective for about 10% of the population. There is not any supporting research that shows that light therapy will actually worsen acne-there is only improvement seen for 90% of the population or no effect.

#13 the_se7en

the_se7en

NitroX

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Cars, Music, Computers... and plenty more!

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:22 AM

Is it safe to use this while using BP gel?

#14 Guest_~Wolfy~_*

Guest_~Wolfy~_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:04 AM

Safe, yes. Worth using BP at the same time? Probably not. The blue light does the same thing that BP does, except without dryness or peeling, and it's a lot less messy.~~~~

#15 The Great Reizo

The Great Reizo

Andrew...The Android!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Buffy The Vampire Slayer, DBZ, Sailor Moon, Martial Arts and Military Tactics, Writing and Journalism, The Dictionary, Singing, Naked Mirror Dancing, Art, Computers, Video Games, Music Videos (Both viewing and making), Science, Metaphysics, Demonology, Religious Studies, Psychology and Daydreaming.<br /><br />Wanna know more? Hit me up and we'll talk!

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:17 AM

Hey im new to the light treatment thing...which light is the best to purchase i need to know which brand is the best and also...if i were to find the right light wavelenght couldnt i just use my computer monitor to treat my acne?

#16 akujin

akujin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:29 PM

Most of the products I've found on all the sites that offer some form of personal omnilux product are extremely small. Even the triple head lamp at acnelamp seems insufficient, and the one at Beautyskin doesn't wrap around the face. How is that, much less a pen-sized product, supposed to treat the whole face? sad.gif

#17 Lumiport

Lumiport

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:42 PM

As far as the DermaStyle goes, its main purpose isn't to treat the whole face at one time. Its main use should be to treat single pimples, although it can be used to treat small areas too. However, because it is only a single LED it can be time consuming to treat large areas. We have heard lots of feedback to have a product that covers a larger area all at once and are working on something that will make that possible. If you have any other questions or concerns about our product or general questions about light therapy, we are more than happy to talk to you. Email us or call us at 1.800.709.7350.

--The Lumiport Team

#18 shade1991

shade1991

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

Worked for me! I was going to a dermatologist who was giving me this treatment, he had the pro kind so I only went in once a week, but it sill worked great! I'm might even get a personal one for me.

#19 jjp007

jjp007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE(shade1991 @ Mar 12 2007, 01:42 PM) View Post
Worked for me! I was going to a dermatologist who was giving me this treatment, he had the pro kind so I only went in once a week, but it sill worked great! I'm might even get a personal one for me.

What is the light called that worked for you?

#20 scarred12

scarred12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:53 PM

how does it work on red marks and broken cappilaries??