Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aleve for premenstrual and mid-cycle acne

222 posts in this topic

LionQueen - do you know if this also works for people on BC? I'm on Yasmin BC right now and still end up with breakouts during PMS.

LionQueen - do you know if this also works for people on BC? I'm on Yasmin BC right now and still end up with breakouts during PMS.

I don't know for sure .... but I can't think why it wouldn't! Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Retired from Acne.org

hm i should try this out. unfortunatly im not regular enough to predict when i should start taking it though!

"Always behave like a duck -- keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath."

hm i should try this out. unfortunatly im not regular enough to predict when i should start taking it though!

I had to play catch-up one month because my cycle shifted. I started taking the Aleve as soon as I noticed the tiny spots popping up, and it did help .... the spots healed fast and I didn't get any more of them.

Retired from Acne.org

Is this stuff good for bringing down the inflammation/swelling of a pimple every any time of the month?

My current regimen:

AM

Cleanse with Avene Cleanance

Moisturize with Complex 15 only on dry areas

PM

Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel (only 3x a week)

Diacneal

Tricyclen BCP

*Advil daily one week prior to menstruation

*drink lots of water all througout the day and stay away from pop.

*use mainly mineral makeup

NOTE: I totally stopped using BP as a spot treatment because it just dries the pimple out TOO much and the skin around it. The flakes end up looking worse than the pimple and it's impossible to cover. Plus it leaves a mark.

Is this stuff good for bringing down the inflammation/swelling of a pimple every any time of the month?

I suppose it would be, but I don't recommend daily usage or anything like that.

Retired from Acne.org

Bump.

Still working for me. :D

Retired from Acne.org

Bump.

Still working for me. :D

Me too! Third month on Aleve during ovul. and PMS. I could feel it coming on, started taking it 2X/day right away for the 4 days up to my period. Only one measly little whitehead! And I attribute that to my friend giving me a makeover with crappy makeup.

Lion Queen, you rock!

Hmm... I usually take aleve to help with cramps (or should I say "alleviate" cramps? ha ha), and I get hormonal breakouts like crazy, but maybe I will try taking it the week before and see if that makes a difference....

Morning:

Wash with Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser (mix in a little baking soda)

Moisturize with Biore Shine Control Moisturizer

Night:

Wash with Netrogena Oil Free Acne Wash (2% SA)

Apply BP Gel

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion-Night (contains AHA)

Aleve to reduce inflammation

Also take OTC-Lo birth control

No makeup

I am definitely trying this next period. Nothing works for me, so if this does, I will be in heaven. Have to wait a couple weeks, though, my period just ended. Thanks for the tip even it it doesn't help!

i think this is my third month of taking it and i can honestly say that it works..but it does upset my stomach.

It Aleve only available in the US? I'm in Canada and I can't find it anywhere. Would Advil do the same thing?

My current regimen:

AM

Moisturize with Complex 15 only on dry areas

PM

Exfoliate with Paula's Choice 2% BHA gel (only 3x a week)

Diacneal

Tricyclen BCP

*Advil daily one week prior to menstruation

*drink lots of water all througout the day and stay away from pop.

*use mainly mineral makeup

NOTE: I totally stopped using BP as a spot treatment because it just dries the pimple out TOO much and the skin around it. The flakes end up looking worse than the pimple and it's impossible to cover. Plus it leaves a mark.

i think this is my third month of taking it and i can honestly say that it works..but it does upset my stomach.

Same for me - it does work, but it bothers my stomach after taking it a couple of days.

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel

-Finacea

-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)

-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub

-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night

-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel

-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone

*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...1620&st=460

would this method still work if you're on birth control pills? which i've just started taking again.

"Always behave like a duck -- keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath."

Oh I'm so going to try this!

Morning:

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Mattifying Concentrate

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish Clear Skin Cream

Oil of Olay Complete All Day Moisture Lotion SPF 15

Night:

Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash Kiss My Face Olive Oil Soap

Paula's Choice 2% Beta Hydroxy Liquid

jojoba oil

Paula's Choice Blemish Fighting Solution

series of 6 40% glycolic acid peels

Olay Vitamins Total Effects 7x (multivitamin, CoQ10, vitamin E, alpha lipoic with green tea)

2400mg flaxseed oil

I struggled with adult acne for 10 years before I found Evening Primrose and Falxseed Oil. They are essential fatty acids and when I talk them 2-3 times daily, my break outs are minimal. Try them - it's a lot cheaper then all these acne products that don't work. I don't know about Aleve but these supplements really work for PMS acne and during ovulatation when hormones fluctuate.

Does regular aspirine work?

I suppose it might help ... aspirin is an anti-inflammatory as well. But I suspect that Advil is more effective than aspirin .... and I find Aleve more effective than Advil.

I'm taking it again this week, and it is DEFINITELY working. I started as soon as the first tiny zits popped up, and 24 hours later they'd all gone down again. :dance:

BTW, I take EFAs daily ... they are definitely great for my skin, and I see a huge difference when I'm taking them. But I would still get the PMS pimples if it weren't for Aleve.

Retired from Acne.org

LION QUEEN I LOVE YOU1!!!!

This is the 4th ovulation cycle I have tried this and month I only had one small jawline pimple.

Thank you so much for sharing this information. :)

Don't you love it when something so simple works so well? :dance:

Retired from Acne.org

Reminder to self: for maximum effectiveness, I have to use Aleve TWICE a day during PMS week.

If I only use it once (at night), I get the tiny zits popping up during the day.

Must remember to take one in the AM as well. :doh:

Retired from Acne.org

Update: this month I took Aleve (generic) the 3 days (AM and PM) before I expected my period and a couple of times once it started. Guess what? No breakouts at all! Not even the threat of a breakout. I have not had a problem with stomach discomfort, but I always take it with food.

So excited, will report back next month!

i'm from canada.. anyone knows a website that i can order it off since i don't *think* they sell it here in canada? thanks!

What I've lost:

I've lost friends.

I've lost trust.

I've lost confidence.

I've lost self esteem.

I've lost happiness.

I've lost joy.

I've lost beauty.

I've lost chances.

I've lost oportunities.

I've lost moments.

I've lost time.

I've lost time.

I've lost time.

wt? wow, nice find.

I just feel that the only downside to this is that your body may get de-sensitized from all that "unnecessary" aspirin intake. To the point where it takes more than an Aleve to alleviate a headache. no pun intended.

doesn't mean i'm not going to try this when the chance come around...