Photo

Anyone tried Yaz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 happymommy

happymommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2006 - 04:05 PM

I've seen all these commercials on tv for Yaz, but they're so annoying that it never hit me that its a 24 day active cycle, so a 4 day period. I'm on Yasmin and I break out pretty bad during my period. It makes sense that if I only had a 4 day period, id break out less, right? Has anyone tried Yaz? I know it has drsp. Is it supposed to be the same anti-acne drug as Yasmin?

#2 happymommy

happymommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:20 AM

ummm... anyone?

#3 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2006 - 07:43 AM

My gyn offered it to me, but it's quite a bit more expensive than Yasmin which is already not cheap, so i elected to go with continuous dosing of Yasmin instead. I was also wary because Yaz is low dose (estrogen) and since i'm doing so great on Yasmin i didin't want to change dosages.

#4 happymommy

happymommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

Ewww. I didn't realize it was more expensive than Yasmin. Good to know. I've tried skipping the inactive pills on Yasmin, but instead of skipping it, I just had a month long period. With continuous breakouts for that whole month. I won't do that again. i think I may just try taking the inactive pills until my poor body gets back to normal. Oh well. Maybe I'll just stop nursing so I can get on antibiotics again. Im frustrated with my icky skin

#5 Carena

Carena

Carena

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

I'm fresh from the doctor today. She prescribed me Yaz and explained the differences. It has the same two drugs as Yasmin, The only difference is that the estrogen is lower in Yaz.

Yasmin: 30 mcg ethinyl estradiol 3mg drospirenone
Yaz: 20 mcg ethinyl estradiol 3mg drospirenone

She said that lower estrogen is good to reduce these side effects that come with the pill:

headaches
breast soreness
weight gain
endometriosis
blood clots
depression
higher instance of breast cancer if you are already susceptible

She said she rather have me on Yaz since my aunt had breast cancer and I had depression as a teenager. Overall, I seem to be more sensitive to estrogen so a lower dose pill is better for me.

A price difference doesn't really matter to me since I have insurance and my co-pay is the same for any drug I'm prescribed.

#6 LabGirl81

LabGirl81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:12 AM

I've been on it for two and a half months. My skin did get a lot clearer from the first week actually. Not remotely clost to completely clear, but I skipped my massive ovulation induced attack of the killer whiteheads, and the cystic jawline breakout wasn't nearly as severe as it had been in the previous four months I was off the pill. Before that I was on Orthotrycyclin for four years (on and off though), which did a little at first but the effect went away last year when my acne got out of control.......

I like Yaz a lot actually. My breasts aren't tender and swollen, and I don't have cyclical breakouts like I did on a triphasic higher dose pill......My periods are non-existant. I spot a little on the first day of my new pack....that's it.......

I noticed something neat about this pill.......I suffer from vulvodinya, which is a really painful condition. I have the vulvar vestibulitis variety which maks sex excruciating, and sometimes it would get so bad that wearing underwear was out of the question........I have a lifetimes supply of topical lidocane for that purpose......

The first week I was on it the pain went away completely. I can have sex like a normal person now......I thought the Accutane would caue a huge flair up.......but I have no pain whatsoever, way less that a few months ago.........

#7 Holly_08

Holly_08

Bwahaha!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

I like Yasmin a lot. I wouldn't change even contemplate switching. Not with the conditions I am currently suffering from which extend beyond the acne problem. I heard many times of girls skipping the placebo. Lol!! Glad I didn't pull a curious George...

The only thing I am having a problem with currently is that instead of having cystic bumps and large whiteheads, now I have an acne rash. I don't breakout on my chin or cheeks anymore which is where I have the most scarring from previous acne. Now what I get is the common hormonal acne many girls complain about (along the mouth area, jaw area and now forehead where I never broke out before). But doggone it!!! I'll take this form of acne than cystic painful pustules any damn day!!....

Thank you Yasmin! biggrin.gif

#8 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

I heard many times of girls skipping the placebo.

I've skipped my placebo pills through i think 3 packs now. I got some breast tenderness which has decreased, no extra side effects other than that really. My gyn claims that i have to have the period every 4 months or i'll get osteoporosis - but i'm not sure i buy that since i can't find any info to back up that statement. Considering that i had to inform her what the difference between Yasmin and Yaz are, i'm not sure i really beleive her. But i'm going to go with that schedule for now.

#9 yellowjello

yellowjello

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:57 PM

every freakin pill i take makes me feel sick. i started off with diane, it was horrible. i switched to yasmin, i was doing ok..after 3 months i felt sick every morning. so now im taking a one month break and switching to either yaz or ellesse. if its lower in estrogen does that also mean its less efficient in preventing pimples?

#10 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:49 PM

Nope, it's really the progesterone that does the bulk of the pimple prevention. It sounds like you are a good candidate for a lower estrogen dose - i'd suggest that you try Yaz if the nausea was your only negative side effect.

#11 StrawberryShortcake

StrawberryShortcake

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

As long as it's low in androgens you'll get acne benefits usually. From what I can tell on the 'net, both Yasmin and Yaz exhibit anti-androgenic activity.

#12 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 07:45 PM

From what I can tell on the 'net, both Yasmin and Yaz exhibit anti-androgenic activity.

Yes, they do, via their unique progesterone component - DRSP (drospirone), which is chemically related to spironolactone.

#13 yellowjello

yellowjello

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

wait then if the progesterone does most of the anti acne thing...what about the progesterone only pills? those mini pills with no estrogen?

#14 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:40 AM

I am not aware of any mini pills that utilize anti-androgenic progesterone (there are many different progesterones used in BCP) although they may exist. They have other disadvantages because they don't produce the positive effects on menstrual issues like combo pills do, and they aren't as effective at pregnancy prevention.

#15 smilendance

smilendance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

I am 16 and I've been on Yaz for about 3 1/2 months. I am also taking minocycline at night (i was taking it twice a day up until about a month ago). I tried to ween off the minocycline because my skin had been cyst free for about a year or more and the antibiotics caused me to get yeast infections. That only caused my acne to come back worse: cysts on my forehead, then on my cheeks and some on my jaw. My dermatologist wanted me to take accutane, which was why i first started with yaz, but i decided it would not be worth it, especially because i try to stay away from medications. Now after taking yaz and my antibiotics for a few months my skin is completely clear. I can't tell if it is the pill, the antibiotics, or my change of skin regimen, but something worked! I highly recommend using a very gentle cream cleanser, exfoliating occasionally, using tea tree oil as a spot treatment, and calendula cream(or another very gentle, additive free moisturizer) if you have dry or sensitive skin. I think that really helped because before I started using those I was very harsh with my skin and it would get irritated often, but i thought it would still help the acne, which i dont think it did. Also, for scars Vitamin E oil applied to the scars works wonders, i bought some 2 days ago and i already see and feel results, plus it makes your skin baby soft! i am now trying to find a way to get off all the perscriptions, but more carefully this time. Wish me luck!
: D : D : D : D : D : D : D
P.S. The side effects i have experienced with yaz were sometimes a loss of sex drive and "wetness" and some very moody periods (i honestly feel like I'm going insane sometime, but its bearable). Sometimes the effects made me want to stop with the pill, but most of the time i don't mind. The longer I've been on it, the less I have felt the side effects. If you get a moody period I recommend taking primrose oil capsules before and during your period, from what i have experienced, they work very well. Yaz also made my chest grow about a cup size and i did not gain any weight.

#16 girlof711

girlof711

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:31 AM

I have suffered from acne for a very very long time. What people need to realize is that not one thing is going to work for everyone. I've gone online so many times in my life trying to find the miracle cure for my skin. I've seen a dermatologist since I was about 15 and I am now 22. I have tried every prescription drug under the sun for acne except acutane(because my brother was on it and said it messed him up emotionally). I have tried every cream every face wash every pill. I've cried to my mother many nights about how ugly I felt. I have skipped out on parties because I didnt feel like I could cover my ugly face. I know how everyone on this site feels. The way to find out what is going to work for you is research research research. i've learned my acne is triggered by my hormones based on the location of my breakouts. I breakout mainly on the lower chin area of my face. I started taking yaz in about March but wanted to see quick results and got discouraged and stoped taking it because of the high price. I tried again a month or so later and felt I broke out more the first month became discouraged again. Then finally needing to take it as an actual birth control method allowed me to be more patient with the drug. I found I saw less breakouts every month to the point where I'm now on month 5 and have a pimple every so often because of stress or diet. Nothing is really going to show you results super fast and most acne is caused by things inside your body so you need to be patient to let your body adjust to chemical changes with in. Having a great face wash can help so much but really you need to focus on where the breakouts are coming from. So right now if there are any acne suffers that feel they may have acne from unbalanced hormones this is my current regimen.
I'm on yaz
I drink about 100 oz of water a day(try to)
I use natures gate three step acne kit and pimple spot treatment(can find at most whole foods or online)
I eat fairly healthy
I try not to stress when I get a new pimple(the more you stress about it the more you will break out)
Look in the mirror every time you get a new pimple and tell yourself its ok its less then last month and it will keep you pushing forward on yaz. Remember with most meds your skin will get worse before it gets better. My dermatologist once told me "your body is like a clogged drain and once you start any med your body has to get rid of the gunk thats backed up once your pipes are clear thats when you will see a difference."
Remember keep your hands off your face. I know when I get stressed I love nothing more then picking at that one zit but now instead I bought myself a stress ball.
I love you all and hope so much that this advice helped. I know how many years I cried feeling insecure and not being able to really love me because of the monster I thought I saw in the mirror. Then I relized I really was the only person who saw this monster. Good luck.

#17 ksb30

ksb30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:50 PM

I am starting my 3rd pack of YAZ today and I have to say that my face has gotten much much better! But this didn't happen until about a week ago so I am really hoping that the effect will continue. During the first two months, however, my face broke out really badly, much worse than it did before I went on the pill. I got a lot of big, red, painful pimples on my cheeks, chin and even some on my neck. But they seem to be going away and I hope that I won't be getting any new ones. I also bought Get Gorgeous Tea from Republic of Tea and I really like it. I don't know if it's the pill or the tea or the combination of both that's helping my skin get better, but I am planning to continue taking both. So my advice to those of you who are thinking of taking Yaz or just started taking it, BE PATIENT and wait for at least two months. When I read other people's comments about how your skin gets worse before it gets better, I was a little skeptical (about the getting better part) but now I can attest to that myself! I hope I didn't just jinx my skin by posting this rather optimistic message but I just wanted to share my experience with all of you because reading some people's posts helped me so much in the past! Good luck!

#18 ERN90

ERN90

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hello, I have also started taking yaz for my acne. I had very bad acne for about three years and tried EVERYTHING (doryx, benza-clin, microdermabrasion, differin...). Then I took accutane and it was a miracle. I was on accutane a year ago and it did wonders for my skin, i cleared up immediately and was acne free for the five months i took it. but about three months after, i started breaking out again. the breakouts were definately not as severe as the pre-accutane problems i had, but still bad enough that i was considering going back on accutane. however, i decided to try yaz in case i started accutane. however, my skin has improved dramatically! i am starting my third pill pack and already am 90% clear. The first two months saw improvement but i did break out between my first and second pill pack. But now my body's hormones are balanced and used to the pill. I haven't broken out during or after my period and my skin is rapidly improving. Give it a shot, especially if your breakouts seem very hormonal. I am very very happy eusa_dance.gif
Also, my period is very light and my cramps are much better!
no side effects, but your period my bet a bit off for the first two months as your body adjusts to the different cyle since yaz only has four sugar pills.

#19 lenalovee

lenalovee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

im starting it tomorrow, im keeping a blog to let everyone know how it goes. check it out
LenaLovee<3

#20 suzy_rondelle

suzy_rondelle

these burgers are craaazy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

yaz was the worst thing i EVER did to my face and to my body. i sincerely hope that anyone here who tries it does not have the experience i did.