25 replies to this topic

#1 Sheefa

Sheefa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:10 AM

Hi all,

Apologies for not posting over the last 7 months but what can I say, I've been thoroughly enjoying my life with clear skin! smile.gif

Started Accutane in late December on 40mg a day and the results have not only been amazing.........they've been a miracle and actually completely life transforming.

Luckily I was on the Regimen for about 2 months before I started so I think this helped clear my skin and bring out the crap a little. After popping my first pill the results just got better and better. I had no initial breakout and in the 8 month period i've been on tane i'd say i've had about 10 spots of little - medium size that have cleared far more quickly too.

Before I started the course I was pretty much on the lowest of lows and considering my value of life. I'd been on Tetracycline, Minocin, done numerous diets including the crap 3-day apple cleansing diet and would only eat organic produce and veg etc. Nothing worked. I was desparate. cry.gif My derm then agreed to put me on it after I showed him a few photos and that was it. My acne was moderate at the time, but I never had cystic or severe nodular acne. eusa_pray.gif

Anyway, only side effects i've had are dry chapped lips, muscle ache after training hard, excessive sweating and about 2 nose bleeds.

For all those considering the drug, go for it. It genuinely has changed my life and without it I don't know where I would be. My skin is perfectly clear and I am complimented many times on my complexion by others who knew me before the drug. I'm over the moon and the only thing I'm afraid of is coming off the drug. eusa_dance.gif

If I had my way, i'd stay on it for life, who knows, I may just be able to do that! wink.gif

All the best guys, I'll post some pics up soon. eusa_whistle.gif

Trust me, this is the answer to acne.

#2 RaKku

RaKku

FREE hugs :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me
  • Interests:just a dude that loves the red sox

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:21 AM

grats, good to hear the good news! eusa_clap.gif
chin up, we're all in this together =)

3rd time of Accutane is NOT the charm - and the vicious cycle continues...

My nifty journal! :)

#3 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2006 - 10:26 AM

Thats great! I hope Accutane is as nice to me as it was to you.

#4 HoustonZit

HoustonZit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

Great to hear a GOOD story!!! I hope to have the same success. I'm on Day 2.....only 19 more weeks to go! Haha....can I ask - how quickly did you clear up from the beginning? I know you started seeing some results immediately - but you were fully clear by Day __???

#5 SteveL

SteveL

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2006 - 04:03 PM

Great to hear some positive feedback on a board like this...

#6 Sheefa

Sheefa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

Hi guys,

I cleared up completely within 1 week and have stayed that way since. I had 1-2 smaller pimples in the first 2 weeks but they were very small. I think I've honestly had about 6 pimples since the beginning of my Tane course.

It truly has set me free and I feel great. I'm scared of coming off it as I'm having hardly any side effects and all my blood tests are perfect. If I had my own wish, I'd be on it for life, seriously.

It's truly the happiest thing you can ask for after having acne. Peace all and good luck xxx wink.gif

#7 sf_chavez

sf_chavez

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:13 PM

Congrats! I'm just two weeks into treatment (40mgs a day) and all good so far... quite clear and no side effects other than mild itching and some dryness in the lips. I did facial treatments before starting for 3 weeks, so I really think that helped prep my skin and bring some "gunk" to the surface. I'm still doing the weekly facials, so I think that is helping with any possible breakouts.

I hope I have the same success! Keep us posted on how things go for you once you are off the program.

#8 Sheefa

Sheefa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:15 AM

Hi all,

Thought I'd post back on my progress. Now nearly 2 years since last post and 2 1/2 years since I started Accutane. I finished the course in December 2006. I have been thoroughly clear ever since. I've had a couple pop up every now and then, I'd say about 6-7 over the last 2 years so by no means a bad one!!!!

Confidence is sky high and feeling great. Got another problem now which is chronic ankle pain following 2 bad sprains and I'm sure the tane might of inhibited the healing hence I'm still having probs 7 months on, but Accutane really has been a life saver for me. I can't believe the change.

I'd say if you are depressed, withdrawn and lacking nearly all self-confidence and you've tried the BP Regiment and some more conservative treatments over the last year, then give it a shot.

All the best and wishing you all clear skin. eusa_whistle.gif

Greg

#9 wantingskinfreedom

wantingskinfreedom

I'm a girl.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me
  • Interests:Very excited about going on Accutane.<br />My interests are having skin freedom. I've had to work for every piece of beauty I possess. I was very overweight when I was younger and I lost 50lbs and am in the best shape of my life. I had extremely crooked teeth, just got my braces off on May 19th. My skin is the next thing in line. 5 months til my confidence is BACK!!!

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

Hey, why were you on for 8 months if you were clear the entire time??
Regimen
- Accutane (Claravis)
Month 1: 60 mg
Month 2: 60 mg
Month 3: 60 mg
- Yaz birth control
- Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser
- Cetaphil Daily Moisturizing Lotion

My Accutane Log
My Accutane Gallery

#10 jenirose

jenirose

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:44 PM

Wow, congratulations smile.gif Im amazed you didnt experience dry skin at all?! Were you doing anything that you think might have prevented that?

#11 gt_stang_2006

gt_stang_2006

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

why were you on it for so long? My derm told me that a course is six months.

Did I say six? I meant five!

#12 moonbaby

moonbaby

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

wow. only 6 or 7 zits in the course of two years.. i can't even imagine. i'm almost done with my first month and already i'm seeing a huge difference. i NEVER thought it would work this fast. after just a month, my t-zone is completely clear and the rest of my face shows signs of improvement every day. i'm starting to think this might actually work out.
thanks for the update - this is all so encouraging. really happy for you. congratulations man!

#13 Sheefa

Sheefa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:06 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks. I was on it for slightly longer as I was on 40mg for about 4 months I think and 20mg for the rest of the time. This was my choice! I was actually put on a 6 month course of 40mg per day, but after being clear for months I decide to lower the dose to 20mg a day and get an extra couple of months out of my course! Was worth it as you always think 'what if' the acne comes back during your course.

I also have purchased some online about 8 months ago just in case things come back. Yeah I could go back to my derm, but I figured I could take 20mg a day for a month following the usual guidelines and be clear and fine.

Be warned though!! By no means am I an anti-accutane preacher, but the joint pain I am suffering from now is pretty bad, i.e. doesn't relinquish from day to night. It's mainly my ankle but my knees have suffered too. I am being tested for Arthritis tomorrow.

Still, I was near suicide over 2 years ago and didn't think life could be so good you just need to weight up whether the risk is worth it. For me it was, but whether it will be in a few years time I don't know.

I did have some very dry skin, just moisturise frequently and only washed with water. Still have to apply lip balm on a daily basis though!! Still moisturise quite a lot too.

Good luck all.

Greg

#14 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2008 - 04:10 AM

how much do you weigh sheefa

#15 Sheefa

Sheefa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (cashflow @ Jun 21 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi all,

I have to say I am now struggling very badly with the joint pain. Some days I can hardly walk and the joint pain is now present in my ankles, knees, lower back, elbows and wrists. I am in daily agony.

I have ruled out RA and Osteoarthritis and have had bloodwork back that has come back negative. Accutane really is the only explanation for my pain. This life is worse believe me. I am going for a full body and joint MRI but it is clear there is some damage.

It's like my whole body is now drying up from the inside. No painkillers and supplements are working.

You can see I'm not anti-accutane from my first few posts, I loved the results, but now I am questioning whether all this is worth a possible life of pain. Vanity vs Chronic pain - I'd go back to my acne skin anyway if this is the case.

PLEASE USE AND TRY EVERYTHING ELSE BEFORE ACCUTANE GUYS.

A very poorly 25 year old.

Greg

#16 carendt

carendt

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Sheefa @ Jul 18 2008, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (cashflow @ Jun 21 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi all,

I have to say I am now struggling very badly with the joint pain. Some days I can hardly walk and the joint pain is now present in my ankles, knees, lower back, elbows and wrists. I am in daily agony.

I have ruled out RA and Osteoarthritis and have had bloodwork back that has come back negative. Accutane really is the only explanation for my pain. This life is worse believe me. I am going for a full body and joint MRI but it is clear there is some damage.

It's like my whole body is now drying up from the inside. No painkillers and supplements are working.

You can see I'm not anti-accutane from my first few posts, I loved the results, but now I am questioning whether all this is worth a possible life of pain. Vanity vs Chronic pain - I'd go back to my acne skin anyway if this is the case.

PLEASE USE AND TRY EVERYTHING ELSE BEFORE ACCUTANE GUYS.

A very poorly 25 year old.

Greg

#17 carendt

carendt

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:07 PM

I was so encouraged by your optimism in the top post and am sorry to hear that you are suffering so badly now. I have four friends that I can think of off the top of my head that have the same symptoms as you however and not one of them have ever taken Accutane. One was eventually diagnosed with RA (it took at least a year to get the diagnosis), one I'm not sure of but she looks like she has arthritis, one had her symptoms go away eventually after a year or so and now thinks it was stress related, and the other one has some rare disease I'm sorry but I don't remember the name. The friend with RA has been greatly helped by NIA (sorry if I'm wrong about the use of capitals here) and medication.

They have all found relief after some time and I'm sure you will too. Please hang in there.

#18 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:30 PM

People really need to realise that side effects like this can pop up for years following treatment and it is actually pretty common. A 25 year old girl would so rarely be suffering like this lady is complaing of, without being able to find what is wrong. Unfortunately the changes that accutane induces in the iniate immune system aren't currently easy to detect (or treate).

Sheefa, obviously your joint problem is going to have an inflammatory component and to be honest with you it may be a reactive arthritus and i would be interesting in hearing how you have ruled out osteoarthritis.

Either way i think you will either end up on methotrexate or sulfasalazine. If you are told both of these as options i would go with the sulfasaline, or if cyclosporin is offered maybe go with that.

My derm often treats accutane side effects with cyclosporin.

If and WHEN you can, i really recommend trying to do some gentle resistance training, it is one of the few things that helps accutane joint pain. Obviously you need some relief from the pain before you can begin this, but as soon as you can you really need to!!

Good luck with everything.

#19 AOEE

AOEE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:33 PM

Ouch! Good luck Sheefa.
07/23/08 - 11/20/08: Sotret @ 127mg/kg for mild/moderate acne. On Klaron for maintenance.

#20 Iliad

Iliad

watcher. sleeper. dreamer.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hades. And I was just given a prescripition to begin 'tane in four days. I honestly should have gone on it six years ago. I'm sorry Sheefa/Greg that you have to go through this pain after finally finding freedom. Maybe I'm too desperate, but nothing else has ever worked. And honestly, I think I would rather carry my hell inside my body than wear it on my face.

I'll begin accutane as planned.

Taking Accutane was perhaps the single best decision of my life.
Not taking it sooner was quite possibly the biggest mistake.

My 'tane log: Iliad's Odyssey It's clear skin and clear skies beyond...