Photo

does the pool help acne or red marks?

red mark hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 texmex23

texmex23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

can anyone tell me some good info on pool water? does it help acne, or worsen it.

also, WHAT ABOUT THE STEAM ROOM? does it help acne and redmarks? thanks.

#2 texmex23

texmex23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:43 AM

still no help? does anyone know if it helps me?

#3 09rules

09rules

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:04 AM

About the pool... I go swimming pretty frequently and I don't see an effect either way... There's chlorine in the pool so it could go either way--either bleaching your skin to make them less red or worsening red marks for the same reason BP does.

#4 MikeRowesoft

MikeRowesoft

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

When you go swimming, the skin begins to absorb the water containing chlorine. At the same time, the protective effect of sweat gland secretions are diminished since they are diluted and washed away. Chlorine reacts with the proteins in the skin, causing cells not to adhere as well to each other. As a result, the skin becomes a less effective barrier, and dead cells visibly flake off, resulting in dry skin.

Drying the spots may be beneficial to your acne or may make it worst. I suppose the only way to know is to going swimming and see how you react.
Cut out of diet: Dairy, gluten, sweets, fast food (pizza!!)
Favourite websites:
, ,

#5 mekinguwho

mekinguwho

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:40 AM

Two summers ago, swimming everyday helped maintain my acne. I was pleasantly surprised. It's also interesting that all the swimmers I've seen don't have acne. Hmm.
Currently Jamming To:
Musiq Soulchild - OnMyRadio
John Legend - Evolver
Ryan Leslie - Ryan Leslie
T.I. - Paper Trail

#6 markymark

markymark

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(mekinguwho @ Aug 16 2006, 10:40 AM) View Post

Two summers ago, swimming everyday helped maintain my acne. I was pleasantly surprised. It's also interesting that all the swimmers I've seen don't have acne. Hmm.

this has been discussed many many times before. All basketball players dont have acne or red marks neither...come to think of it 99% of the people I see on the streets or at work don't have acne...

#7 grapesrgood

grapesrgood

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

what markymark says is true. just cause ur a swimmer doesnt mean u dont have acne because of the pool. they dont have acne because of their genes. and to answer texmex's question, yea i think chlorine does help with acne. even though i no longer have acne, when i did i realized it dried pimples up. but i dont think it did anything to red marks.

#8 zitarella

zitarella

WHY ME???

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:51 PM

i use my steam room everyday and my acne has been improving lately. Im not sure if it is completely due to that or that fact that I only use water to clean my face now or the fact that my birth control is kicking in finally! But either way I only think it can do good, not bad. I also go in the pool maybe once a week. I dont notice a difference in my skin. But I always make sure to wash good after and moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!!!!!

What's beautiful to you is only a reflection of your beliefs.... smile.png

Currently taking:

Saw Palmetto

Vitex

Soy Isoflavone Extract

Black Cohosh

Wild Yam

Burdock

D3

Zinc

Biotin

#9 handsbella

handsbella

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:56 AM

I am not sure but I start having breakouts at the onset of my swimming class, but may be it is not the main cause, because I did have some lifestyle changes at the same time, so really cant give a confirm answer.

#10 Guest_papillon_*

Guest_papillon_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

I love swimming. I think the chlorine disinfects your germs so it helps get rid of zits. LOL No, seriously, I don't think swimming makes acne/red marks worse. I think swimming or other exercises are good for your acne/red marks. =o)

#11 *Rebecca*

*Rebecca*

Satur9, How I'd love to make you mine..

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

i noticed swimming at the beach def. gets rid of acne or def. helps it. I went to the beach yesterday and a small white head I had came right to the surface and now is gone and healing. Salt water + sun def. helps with acne.

#12 Guest_papillon_*

Guest_papillon_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(SmashingPumpkins @ Aug 19 2006, 07:52 PM) View Post
i noticed swimming at the beach def. gets rid of acne or def. helps it. I went to the beach yesterday and a small white head I had came right to the surface and now is gone and healing. Salt water + sun def. helps with acne.

Yeah, I agree. I like the beach + sun. biggrin.gif

#13 bigjabba

bigjabba

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2006 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(markymark @ Aug 16 2006, 12:52 PM) View Post

this has been discussed many many times before. All basketball players dont have acne or red marks neither...come to think of it 99% of the people I see on the streets or at work don't have acne...

I've been playing basketball my whole life and I'm even on the JV team. I have body acne and red marks. doubt.gif