452 replies to this topic

#41 someoneintheuk

someoneintheuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:33 AM

My skin is normal.

Before I treated myself with GLA I was both oily and dry! Which one would depend on the time of year, sunshine/no sunshine, my diet etc etc. It was very temperamental and would go from one extreme to the next all the time.

#42 Frumpy&Bumpy

Frumpy&Bumpy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me
  • Interests:KING JAMES BIBLE, Street Evangelism, Art , Painting, RECENTLY KNITTING, My pet Kitty SHELAH, Rush Limbaugh, Bluegrass Music, Gospel Music, TV: Mama's Family, British Comedies, LOST!!!!!, My Name is Earl, walking, Aerobics, Weight Training, EBAY

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:04 PM

I've been taking 1 - 2 Tablespoons of FLAX seed oil daily with meals. I'm thinking of adding flax seed meal to my foods. My blood pressure and pulse are great but I haven't noticed any improvement to my acned face.

What is your opinion of this?

SHould I combine this with Lecithin? Or dump the Flax oil and take GLA, Borage or Evening Primrose ? What's best?

THANK YOU
NO SOAP, NO BP, NO TOPICALS, just WATER ONLY

#43 someoneintheuk

someoneintheuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:43 PM

I would drop the flaxseed and pick up a good quality source of borage oil- its better than evening primrose oil as it contain more GLA %.

Flaxseed is a wonderful food source with many great benefits, but when i tested it it didnt clear my acne; lecithin or no lecithin.

#44 Melfice2k

Melfice2k

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me
  • Interests:Health Sport<br /><br /><br />People check my website:<br /><br />http://www.melbook.co.cc

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

Yeh only taking Flaxseed oil wont help you to be clear..
!~ WHAT WE PUT IN OUR BODIES WILL SHOW ON OUR SKIN ~!

#45 mommaLove

mommaLove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:11 AM

[quote name='mdp703' post='1285323' date='Aug 14 2006, 10:23 AM']
Handsbella - I'm not sure. Like I said in my original post, I don't claim this is a cure all for everyone. I just happened to have a great response to it.
Some thoughts I have are:
Do you take it with food, b/c I was told that's important?
Also, maybe your acne is not hormone related?
It's not that I still don't have a breakout at all, b/c I do have a couple small pimples. However, in comparison to before taking EPO, my face is much much better. And I still use all the products I was using before, like BP and Tazorac.
[/quote]

>You are SUPPOSE to take it with food? I also heard to take EPO or Starflower oil/Borage oil WITH MILK...very much more helpful than with water....better results I guess.....

"Even though it's only been a couple of days since I posted, I am thoroughly disappointed. My acne is still much better from the EPO, but now my stomach problems are worse and it looks like I am going to have to quit taking it. There are times when I say my skin is more important than the rest of my health, but when I'm sick to my stomach 3 days in a row, i realize having a healthy, almost-normal life might be more important. If anyone else has had this reaction to EPO, please let me know. I fear I'm just an oddball. sad.gif
[/quote]"

> I had no stomach problems but kinda like cramps...I felt like I was about to get my period all the time..pressure down there.....it freaked me out so I stopped right away....I probable could've given the EPO more time and might of seen results, but my body said no....this is why I'd like to try Starflower oil or Borage oil......?

#46 someoneintheuk

someoneintheuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:19 AM

If you were taking Flaxseed oil it causes a laxative effect and would account for the stomach aches. If it was fish oil then it might have been off. Did you store the oil in a fridge?

#47 ctb85

ctb85

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

someoneinengland,

Do you know how taking Borage oil capsules with milk helps acne? Pretty much all of us on here have heard that dairy promotes more acne, and we've been told to avoid it. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

#48 mommaLove

mommaLove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(ctb85 @ Sep 26 2006, 10:21 AM) View Post

someoneinengland,

Do you know how taking Borage oil capsules with milk helps acne? Pretty much all of us on here have heard that dairy promotes more acne, and we've been told to avoid it. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Good question....although, I tried to go without milk for a extended period of time and never found it to HELP my skin at all! I love my milk and glad I'm drinking it again! Never did me any good without it.

#49 someoneintheuk

someoneintheuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:51 AM

Fat substances need to be taken with fat food products to be absorbed. By taking milk (a fat food product) with the oil it maximises the absorption of the oil. Taking the oil with water will mean the oil doesnt get absorbed as well- the effectiveness will be at only 5-10% this way.

There are many ways to take borage oil but i have found the more fat you take with it the better. The best combo is with milk just before a fat-contaning meal. The worse combo is with water just before a non-fat containing meal- or even worse just with water and no food!

As for milk promting acne, well in large quantities it may aggravate acne due to the casin and congesting factors of milk, but what Im taking about is just 2 or 3 gulps to swallow down the capsules. This wont aggravate acne in such small quantities unless of cause you have some kind of allergy to milk, in which case take soy milk or rice milk.

#50 Melfice2k

Melfice2k

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me
  • Interests:Health Sport<br /><br /><br />People check my website:<br /><br />http://www.melbook.co.cc

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:59 AM

How much GLA on Borage oil? I am take EFA that contain 290ml
!~ WHAT WE PUT IN OUR BODIES WILL SHOW ON OUR SKIN ~!

#51 someoneintheuk

someoneintheuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:42 AM

20-22% Gla in borage oil. So 1000mg of borage typically contains 200-220mg GLA.

#52 mdp703

mdp703

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

biggrin.gif wow! I didn't think people were still posting to this. It's been a while since I've been here, but I am sooooo happy to hear that some people have had a great response to EPO. It worked so well for me, I'm frustrated that I can't take it. Some specific comments for people:

Leash - I did try accutane when I was about 18 (I'm 24 now) and I had a good response as my acne decreased quite a bit, but it didn't clear my face completely. Diane 35 cleared me completelyl, but I had to quit it b/c I got severe cramping as a side effect - related to my endometriosis. I really liked the EPO, but still months later I am no longer taking it even though I know it works for me. The side effects were just too much.

Mommalove - mine were much like cramping as well. I feel much better not on the EPO even thoigh I wish I could take it.

someoneinengland - it's possible that it was related to the laxative like effect, but I also had severe cramping so for me it was more likely the hormone changes as that seems to cause me most problems

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Please continue to post your progress. It's so nice to hear people having good experiences. smile.gif

#53 Rache

Rache

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

i didn't know that taking borage oil with milk makes it much more effective!! gasp.gif...great..all this tiem I have been taking it with water..But yeah, I think its been helping me. Maybe not as fast as I want it too though..
Morning

Eucerin Redness Relief Cleanser
Ice any pimples for a couple minutes
Derma E Tea Tree and E antiseptic moisteriser
Spot treat any pimples through out the day with proplis extract treatment(or) Oil of Oregano.

Evening
Eucerin Redness Relief Cleanser
Ice any pimples for a couple mins
Spot treat any pimples through out the day with proplis extract treatment(or) Oil of Oregano.
Derma E Tea Tree and E antiseptic moisteriser

Exfoliate twice a week with: "Anew Clincal- micro-exfoliant"

2,000mg's of GLA "Borage oil"+1 per dose Letchin with milk.

#54 mommaLove

mommaLove

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(mdp703 @ Sep 26 2006, 01:42 PM) View Post

biggrin.gif wow! I didn't think people were still posting to this. It's been a while since I've been here, but I am sooooo happy to hear that some people have had a great response to EPO. It worked so well for me, I'm frustrated that I can't take it. Some specific comments for people:

Mommalove - mine were much like cramping as well. I feel much better not on the EPO even thoigh I wish I could take it.

MDP.....did you ever try Borage Oil (starflower) instead.... I'm going to try it, just hope it doesn't have the same effect that EPO did on me (cramping thingy..)
eusa_wall.gif

#55 someoneintheuk

someoneintheuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

someoneinengland - it's possible that it was related to the laxative like effect, but I also had severe cramping so for me it was more likely the hormone changes as that seems to cause me most problems

it is very possibly caused by the laxative effect (of flaxseed oil). Actually i just found something interesting about flaxseed oil. It can cause intestinal blockage (your stomach cramps) if not taken with enough liquid.

Heres a quote i found:

"For use as a laxative, mix one tablespoonful in water and take two or three times daily. Since flaxseed swells when it mixed with fluids, make sure to use at least 8 ounces of water for each tablespoonful of flaxseed to prevent intestinal blockage."

found at http://www.nutrasanu...m/flaxseed.html

Another quote:

"In theory, the laxative effects of flaxseed ( not flaxseed oil) may cause diarrhea, increased number of bowel movements, and abdominal discomfort. Laxative effects are reported in several studies of people taking flaxseed or omega-3 acids. Large amounts of flaxseed by mouth may cause the intestines to stop moving (ileus). People with diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulitis, or inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis) should avoid flaxseed due to its possible laxative effects. Nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain are reported in two individuals shortly after taking flaxseed products by mouth; these reactions may have been caused by allergy."

source: http://www.mayoclini...atient-flaxseed

I think this may answer your questions (IF you were taking flaxseed for your EPOs)

#56 Anjana

Anjana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 01:41 PM

@someoneinengland

so you found borage oil has cleared your acne? could you write down again how much exactly do you take a day and if with milk or with dinner or whatever?
thanks a lot! eusa_angel.gif

oh and do you increase it when you have your days or just before them or do you just take it all the way through? eusa_think.gif

#57 someoneintheuk

someoneintheuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 02:12 PM

yep it cleared me and some friends and associates. theres 6 of us in all so far in the last few months.

i take 6000mg starflower (borage) oil a day with 2400mg lecithin.
this is split into 2 doses.
i take with a few gulps of milk just before having my first meal of the day and my last big meal.

thats it.

some others ive helped also need one or two other things as well but generally the starflower/lecithin is sufficient.

read the free course from my sig for more info.

oh and do you increase it when you have your days or just before them or do you just take it all the way through? eusa_think.gif

i dont understand this...if you are talking about a period then no. Im a guy.

#58 the who?

the who?

(not the band)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(someoneinengland @ Sep 26 2006, 01:12 PM) View Post

yep it cleared me and some friends and associates. theres 6 of us in all so far in the last few months.

i take 6000mg starflower (borage) oil a day with 2400mg lecithin.
this is split into 2 doses.
i take with a few gulps of milk just before having my first meal of the day and my last big meal.

thats it.

I bought some borage oil (1000 mg) at Lindberg Nutrition. It has 200 mg of GLA per serving. So to get 1000 mg of GLA a day, I would have to take 5000 mg (5 pills) of borage oil a day. The recommended amount on the back of the container says 1-2 softgels a day with food. Is taking this excess amount of GLA (1) Neccessary and (2) Healthy? Also, how can I split 5 pills into two separate servings?

I also bought lecithin softgels from the same store (1200 mg) to take as well. If you could help me out I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.
I'm beginning to think it's all in my head.

#59 someoneintheuk

someoneintheuk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

sorry i made a mistake i only take 5000mg of starflower oil a day.

The recommended amount on the back of the container says 1-2 softgels a day with food. Is taking this excess amount of GLA (1) Neccessary and (2) Healthy? Also, how can I split 5 pills into two separate servings?

I dont consider it an excessive amount. The higher GLA you take initially, the faster your hormones can be regulated and balanced and the better the results for your skin. If you only took 200-400mg gla a day you would probably see results in months rather than days or weeks. As far as I am aware there are no negative side effects to taking GLA- most people with acne are deficient in it and getting it in food is rare.

"You won't find large amounts of GLA in food. In addition to evening primrose oil, good sources of GLA include borage oil and black currant oil. An often-suggested dose is 1 to 2 grams of GLA per day. "

source: http://www.dummies.c...cle/id-957.html

I hope this puts your mind at rest on the dosage level.

#60 the who?

the who?

(not the band)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:32 PM

I'll give it a shot - It can't be worse than slapping ridiculous amounts of BP on your face twice a day.
I'm beginning to think it's all in my head.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users