Evening Primrose Oil

453 posts in this topic

If you have trouble digesting oils, then it's best to just apply EPO topically.

I know this thread is really old. But this is my first post. Read the top for info about EPO. The rest is my ramblings.

I have to talk about evening primrose oil because it is one of the only things that has ever helped my acne/rosacea. Before going into a loooong story, I just want to say that the hormonal acne that was on my cheeks around my mouth has almost completely gone away after taking the EPO 2x per day for 2 months. My skin is also really soft and less dry. I still have some pimples on my forehead, which are not from hormones, but I would much rather have that than a face full of pimples. So I am extremely happy with EPO.

Now for the long story:

I'm 23 now and have had acne ever since middle school. During middle school/high school I controlled it with ProActive and was fine, except I also had it on my chest and back which made me really self conscious if I had to wear revealing clothes. Then in college, the ProActive just stopped working for me. Then, I went onto the antibiotic Sulfameth (which is a version of Bactrim).

Ever since going on the Sulfameth I had nice skin. I tried to stop taking it a few times, because as an antibiotic, I knew that it was harming the good bacteria in my body and possibly making me resistant to other antibiotics that I might need in the future. Everytime I tried to stop taking the antibiotics, my skin would get horrible and I would break down and go back on it.

I've been taking sulfameth for 4 years off and on. I know that it's really bad for my body, but nothing else has worked, and it was way easier to focus on my good appearance than what could happen in the future if I got sick from all the antibiotics.

This year (2014) I really felt determined to stop taking the antibiotics because I am in a good place in my life, and I think I'm prepared to possibly have bad skin for a while because I've been feeling really secure in myself. So again, I turned to these message boards to figure out what was working for other people. I've always believed in holistic health AND I always knew that I needed to cure my acne/redness from the inside because I have very sensitive skin. Then I stumbled upon EPO.

I have always had a rough time during my time of the month, so I thought something that can clear acne AND help with PMS symptoms--sure, I'll try it! I love that it is completely over-the-counter, no prescription needed. The amount I spend on it is equal to the amount I spent on buying my prescription antibiotics every month. Disclaimer: I was still taking 1/2 my normal dose of sulfameth during the 1st month of EPO. So, I can't totally credit the EPO, but I did notice a big improvement that I never saw with the Sulfameth alone or any other product/medicine.

This month, I have totally stopped taking the sulfameth. I'm still having breakouts on my forehead, chest, and back, but they are not horrible and I think I can handle it. I'm also trying to really watch my diet to see if anything irritates my skin. I'm willing to experiment a little rather than relying on the antibiotics that I know can harm my body in the long run.

I've often felt really emotional over my skin issues, especially because a lot of the people who are close to me have naturally really good skin and don't have to work at it like I do. Being out of college and going into the professional world is tough when you're not feeling confident and also still feel like you look like a middle schooler going through puberty.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone will even read this, but I just wanted to finally contribute because these forums have helped me so much over the years to know that there are other people going through what I am. Try EPO because as far as I know there are no bad side effects. It might not work for you, but if you suspect your acne is hormonal then it's worth a shot.

1 person likes this

Evening primrose oil worked for my hormonal chin acne too. As well as fish oil. When i was taking both my skin was the clearest in all my life since puberty. However cod liver oil gave me the worst acne of my life. When i broke out in huge and deep and very very red acne, I realised that it wasn't normal for my skin to break out this bad and that it all started soon after taking cod liver oil. Not just any cod liver oil. It was a high quality brand to boot. So i stopped taking cod liver oil and my skin stopped breaking out. So to those thinking of trying out cod liver oil to cure your acne, be very careful with it.evenin

Edited by claudia1702