Photo

B5 & Accutane - My Theory - Inhibit Biotin = Less Acne

vitamin vitamins pantothenic pantothenic acid biotin green tea oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#41 Melfice2k

Melfice2k

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 27 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

B5 + Tane it is scary ... Especially for G.Flora and might damage liver oompf.gif
!~ WHAT WE PUT IN OUR BODIES WILL SHOW ON OUR SKIN ~!

#42 xtr3m

xtr3m

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

Ok, but please stop posting the same conclusion over and over again.

#43 gymrat7676

gymrat7676

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:52 PM

i just wanted to throw a little wrench in ur theory. isn't it possible that taking the biotin threw off another bvitamin that is needed?
MY ROUTINE

AM
1) wash with paula's choice normal to oily cleanser
2) Napca mist from twinlab or the one from nuskin and spray many times to get a good layer of moisture.
3)Avalon organics revitalizing eye gel
4)Cory Minerals (I've found that the secret to cory is to use ur brush to really swirl it around to grind the powder down even finer than it is and then to tap off the excess and start off with thin layers and build.) i also will take a concealer brush and dab it on certain areas that i need to cover up more thickly and then use a bronzer with a big bronzer brush to blend. ( i use estee lauder bronze goddess). i use bronzer all over and this seems to even out everything.
5)Aquaphor for lips.

PM
1)Same PC N/O
2b)some nights I mask with aspirin mixed with milk of magnesia and nuetrogena clear pore cleanser mask in nose and chin area - to make mask i use a small spray bottle with distilled water that i always keep in my bathroom and i take about 8 aspirin in the palm of my hand and spray and mush with my fingers until it is a thick paste. i then add a drop of MOM and put a small amount of neut. clear pore cleanser mask. don't use mask every night.
3)Aubrey organics Vegecol toner
4)Spot treat w/ prosacea gel
5)same on eyes and lips as AM

#44 Craigy

Craigy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE(gymrat7676 @ Sep 28 2006, 09:52 PM) View Post

i just wanted to throw a little wrench in ur theory. isn't it possible that taking the biotin threw off another bvitamin that is needed?

One of the things I tried during B5 megadosing was taking a B complex multivitamin. This in itself would give me the required dosage of all the other B vitamins so I don't think that's possible that Biotin caused me to be deficient in a different B vitamin. I found that taking a B complex, despite also megadosing B5 as well caused my oily skin and therefore acne to gradually return which is why I tried taking the vitamins within a B complex seperately and through trial and error found it was only Biotin that caused my oily skin and acne to come back.

I apologise to people who've seen this thread before, but I'm 100% convinced that the way B5 and Accutane both work is they reduce the effects of Biotin which shrinks the sebaceous glands and reduces sebum production. I'm kind of hoping someone with a bit more of a scientific background will read this and take my theory on board and provide a better insight into it, or possibly be in a position to do some research!

Think about it, the quantity of B5 required for reducing oily skin is way more than the body is capable of using so the majority of the stuff ends up excreted in the urine or through sweat, so why do you need to take that much? It's because by taking that much, spaced out evenly over the day, you are ensuring that there is enough B5 in the digestive system to prevent the absorption of Biotin into the blood stream, and when there's no or little Biotin the sebaceous glands shrink and stop producing oil.

Cheers
Craig

#45 Craigy

Craigy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:08 AM

Well, as a result of an e-mail I sent to them, Roche have contacted me and are interested in what I've got to say as they've left me an answerphone message asking me to call them back. I'll be calling them on Monday and letting them know more about my theory so they'll either dismiss it, have already looked into it, or will be interested and investigate it further!

Cheers
Craig

#46 AcneMonster

AcneMonster

Oops too much BP!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE(Craigy @ Oct 8 2006, 05:08 AM) View Post

Well, as a result of an e-mail I sent to them, Roche have contacted me and are interested in what I've got to say as they've left me an answerphone message asking me to call them back. I'll be calling them on Monday and letting them know more about my theory so they'll either dismiss it, have already looked into it, or will be interested and investigate it further!

Cheers
Craig

Did you hear anything yet? This is very interesting!
~ What doesn't kill you makes you stronger ~

#47 ConfusingWorld

ConfusingWorld

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

Bump!

#48 Wistar

Wistar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

Craigy, it has been a while since you first posted this theory, how about an update?

I read your earlier post on a different forum from 2005:
"I'm going to order all the B vitamins individually in small doses and add them one at a time to try and identify which ones seem to trigger my acne and which ones help with hairloss."

You wrote the first vitamin you tried was Biotin:
"I've started by ordering Biotin in 1000mcg capsule form as that seems to be the most recommended one to take so I'm waiting for that to arrive...

...Well the Biotin arrived and I've been taking 5000mcg a day for the past few days along with the megadose of B5. The first day I didn't notice any changes, but I woke up the following day with oily skin. I persevered and the oily skin continued and I started to get spots again."

Does this mean you only tested the Biotin individually? Did you ever get around to testing any of the other B-vitamins individually to see if they triggered a breakout?

#49 admiral

admiral

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

After about a year, I'm back to this message board.
I've been taking about 2grams of B5 a day for about 6 years now. It pretty much keeps my skin clear.
Every now and then, I get dermatitis on my hands. Rashes appear on my palms, skin is dry on hands. Usually I stop b5 for a week or so, and these symptoms go away.
I attributed this to the defficiency of other B vitamins, and so I've been taking a multivitamin while not taking b5. I noticed that my acne breaks out when I take multivit. so I started researchin again and that brought me to this thread. My condition could be caused by biotin defficiency.
Now I stopped multivit and got back on b5 and my dermatitis reappeared on my palms.

Anyone has an idea, how to deal with this? If I take b5, I got dermatitis on palms, if I take multivit, I got acne back.

Additionally, anyone has an experience with dermatitis on palms of their hands? Is it caused by biotin deficiency or should I try taking some of the other b-vits (b1, b6) individually?

I don't care what they may say. I don't care what they may do. Jesus is still allright with me.

#50 JacJack

JacJack

price check!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

u do know the whole B group has to be taken in a balance amount for them to work right..?
like B2 and B6..they have to the same amount

http://www.country-l...p;Product_ID=75
i found this one to be well balanced
it's basically a B complex with another name...look at the ingredient list n it's the same as B complex or even better

#51 joyofcola

joyofcola

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

There is so much biochemical misinformation present in this thread that my head is spinning.

The idea that anyone can draw conclusions about the biochemical function of biotin and accutane from doing a GOOGLE SEARCH is simply absurd.

What is known about isotretinoin indicates that its efficacy is related to DNA transcription. I suspect that any relationship between B5 and acne levels have to do with the role of B5 in gluconeogenesis, a biochemical pathway that is related to bacterial growth on the skin.

But people, please...if you don't know what you're talking about, don't attempt to get a science degree by massively overdosing on things like B5. Ten grams a day is just extreme and it's way outside the normal homeostatic value. I don't recommend that ANYONE read anything into these conclusions that some random person made from reading google groups.

#52 DeAntonio

DeAntonio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

Possible follow up?

#53 Skiz

Skiz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

I'm just starting clear5 today, and will be using a stress b-complex with it.

Personally, i'm not going to be going overboard on the biotin, but I have a little (probably around 200 mcg's) daily between the clear 5 and stress b-complex.

BUT, I don't think (personally) that Biotin is what causes any problems. I think that the solution is simply splitting up the biotin or b-complex from the b5 intake (aka don't take them at the same time..more like 1-3 hours apart). The reason for this is that b-5 and the b-complex (and all of the b vitamins like biotin) are both absorbed by the same receptors. When you take both at the same time, those receptors will fight over what vitamins to absorb, therefore reducing the effect of some (and in some peoples cases the b5).

I would just reccomend to split up when you take the b5 and when you take the bcomplex (i've read at least 1 hour apart on one website..though i'd probably go with more to be safe), and this should help you to get the full benefit of both vitamins.

Another way to go would be to take one of the pills (b5 or the bcomplex) in normal form and the other in time released form. Time released pills get absorbed mainly in the small instestine, while normal pills get mainly get absorbed in the stomach. Doing this apparently makes it better because the receptors absorb the vitamin in different places rather then in only one place, so the receptors don't have to battle over what vitamins to absorb.

#54 Skiz

Skiz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

http://www.freepaten...om/5519039.html

This study for example says that Biotin increases the effects (along with nicotinic acid) of B5. They got results when giving their subjects 15 MG's of Biotin. The amount we are talking about in this thread is probably around 1-5 MG's a day or less. So there are very conflicting things, just try it out and see what happens.

#55 BLANE:)

BLANE:)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

Hi I'm completely new to this and this is the first comment I ever posted but anyway,I was reading about what people have said about B vitamins being good for reducing acne, I've never heard of this but maybe I should give it a try. Also, I'm vegan but haven't always been but as soon as i gave up dairy my spots dramatically decreased (although not completely; im still quite spotty cry.gif) and i have heard quite alot that dairy is associated with causing rashes, spots ect so maybe it could be worth a try?

#56 quadrant6

quadrant6

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi all, sorry to dig this post up but I've just found it.

I took accutante when I was about 17yrs old – 2 courses. After the second course, my acne was pretty much gone but I had some side effects that have stayed with me to this day – I'm now 25.

This post is not about me bashing accutane, not everyone gets side effects and some people would still take it to clear up the acne regardless. I'm just trying to research how I can possibly reverse some of the more negative side effects I've experienced.

Effects that I'm trying couteract are thinning hair, depression, bowel problems and dry eyes - specificially meibomian gland disorder (glands shrink/stop producing oil that coats eyes) causing my eyes to be red and irritated very easily. My hormone and thyroid levels have also been affected.

I've taken b complex but never biotin. So according to your posts it can stimulate/inrease sebum gland production, which is not great for ance but may be good for my dry eyes..

Craigy, when you took it did it actually help your hair grow?

#57 GorJess

GorJess

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

I haven't tried B5 yet, but I've been on Accutane before (about 7 years ago). Accutane worked wonders, totally cleared my face but I suffered from thinning hair and my acne came back between 6 to 12 months post treatment.

Throughout the years, I have inconsistently taken Biotin and Super B-Complex.

From my experience, I feel like taking Biotin 5000mcg alone cleared up my acne. I tried 1000mcg and it's not enough. 5000mcg does the trick. Now when I added Super B-Complex or if I took Super B-Complex alone, my acne would come back.

I initially wanted to try Biotin for hair growth and thickness, and then discovered it cleared up my acne. Whenever I stopped taking Biotin, my acne would come back.

And one more thing...drinking more water and avoiding dairy products prevents acne too. I noticed whenever I don't drink enough water or whenever I eat cheese or any type of dairy product, it causes a pimple to pop up on my face.

#58 Custard

Custard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:10 PM

Craigy seemed to suggest the REDUCTION of Biotin by overdosing on B5 alieviated his acne.. His last post was about the alleged return phone call from Roche...

Pity he hasnt posted again to confirm or deny whether Roche was interested in his grassroots research regarding the suppression of biotin.

I've had persistance acne since I was 13, im 41 now (currently on the last resort - Accutane)
I found Craigys research both interesting and frustrating mainly because my favourite foods and large portion of my daily diet consists of all the foods that contain high levels of Biotin which 'might' explain my persistent acne *shrugs*

Not sure whether to laugh or cry, even if I was willing or HAD to... how does a non wheat, non diary, non meat eater to exist without any the foods below?

Spinach, tomatoes, eusa_drool.gif romaine lettuce, carrots, almonds, chicken eggs, onions, cabbage, cucumber, cauliflower, goat's milk, raspberries, strawberries, halibut, oats, broccoli, sweet potatoes eusa_drool.gif , brown rice, mushrooms, nuts, soybeans, sunflower seeds.......

eusa_wall.gif

Current Treatment/Products:
Roccutane started 11.02.10
Weeks 1,3 - 20 mgs per day
Week 4 - 40 mgs per day
Month 2 - 60 mgs per day
Month 3 - 60 mgs per day
Month 4 - 40 mgs per day (acne free!!!)
Month 5 - 20 mgs per day (acne free!!!)
Month 6 - 10 mgs per day (acne free!!!)

#59 GorJess

GorJess

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:20 AM

I'm not sure if diet has anything to do with acne. I know SO MANY people who eat unhealthy diets and have the clearest skin...no spot or blemish whatsoever! I really think acne has a lot to do with imbalanced hormones.

But I also know everyone's body is different and may react differently to different foods and substances that are consumed. Like me for instance, I notice a blemish or pimple after eating food with cheese. Oddly enough, Biotin 5000mcg helps keep my acne away. I also know SEVERAL people who break out from Biotin. Using an exfoliating wash every time I wash my face is needed for me too. I can't do those regular acne washes that don't have any scrubbing beads or grains in it.

#60 Custard

Custard

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:46 AM

Hey GorJess,

I'd never even imagined my diet had anything to do with my acne until I read Craigy's research (food has never bought me out in spots) but as his research is not authenticated i'll sit on the fence and await additional info.

My Acne arrived with the onset of my Periods and gets worse just before and just after that-time-of-the-month so for me also it's hormonal or if I dont wash my makeup off properly wink.gif

Edited by Custard, 24 February 2010 - 09:46 AM.

Current Treatment/Products:
Roccutane started 11.02.10
Weeks 1,3 - 20 mgs per day
Week 4 - 40 mgs per day
Month 2 - 60 mgs per day
Month 3 - 60 mgs per day
Month 4 - 40 mgs per day (acne free!!!)
Month 5 - 20 mgs per day (acne free!!!)
Month 6 - 10 mgs per day (acne free!!!)